Clown Nose

Yellow Balloon

   

              My boss was a slim man with a very chubby face; his cheeks seemed to be holding up his glasses so he could see with his rodent-like eyes and he was always sitting in his office doing paper work.

             “Jonghyun, I think with all the pressures you have from school, that you may want to take some time off from work.” My boss spoke, his beady eyes looking at me curiously.

            “I-I need this job sir to help pay off my bills for my apartment.” I tried so hard to keep calm, but I could feel my body start to shake so hard, I was scared if I moved I might fall over. I knew this day would come, I just didn’t expect it to come so soon; I knew if I lost this job the only thing that brought me true happiness would be gone.

           “Jonghyun please under-“

     

           “Just tell me the truth” I whispered coldly, interrupting him, trying to keep in the superfluous tears.

    

          He looked down at his desk and started fixing the stacks of paper, trying to make them organized unlike his meandering thoughts. “Jonghyun, when I first hired you for this job it was because of how positive you were. You just brightened the whole room with your smile and that would mirror on the faces of the children. But lately…when you come in, it’s as if all the yellow balloons in the store just start to deflate because of your negativity.”

    

          But I was loved here! How could he just fire me? Does he know how long it took me to blow up all those balloons? So many questions, so many thoughts were running through my mind and I felt even more destroyed. This chipmunk man helped me more than he would ever know! Why did he feel that he could fire me like this? I was furious. So furious that I didn’t want to stay and listen to what else he has to say, I just turned around and walked away.

          I passed by all the yellow balloons with the big black obnoxious name of the restaurant written on them, The Golden Anchor that I spent hours blowing up to make the restaurant look even more bright as the sun shined through the windows and through the balloons like gorgeous yellow stained glass.

          As I walked out of the diner, the only place I truly felt like I had people who cared about me, I didn’t know what to do next but to go back into my apartment and mope around. But as soon I started walking away I heard my name being called and I just froze.

         “Jonghyun, please.”  It was my boss. He was looking at me the way a father would look at his son after he was told by the principle that his son was caught in a fight with a bully that he knew was picking on him for weeks. “Jonghyun, please try and find some light in your life,” he begged, handing me a letter, which I took, confused. “Stay strong.”  The man gave me a small smile which made him look like a sad, chubby faced child trying to cheer up his mother and slowly went back inside.

      The letter must have been my pay check for the week or something, I said, putting it in my briefcase that I almost forgot I was holding, looking up at the sky that looked as if a child dipped their hands in ugly gray paint and started dragging them on a piece of white paper, covering every inch of beautiful white and turning it into their teacher hoping that it would be okay to hand in.

      The gray smudges that twirled in the sky seemed to be trapping the sun in. How was I going to find light when it looked like a dangerous storm was approaching? I quickly walked to the bus stop, hoping to go home before I got hit by the storm.

      As I sat down on the plastic bench, I couldn’t stop thinking about the advice my boss gave me. “Try and find some light in your life.”  I couldn’t help but get so annoyed by his words. He should know what it feels like to be completely and totally hopeless! In 2007 he became homeless because of the recession. He helped me off the streets when I ran away from home and had literally nothing.

 

       Gosh, I must look to pathetic, I thought to myself as I dug through the left overs that were thrown out in a big black bag; But I was so tired of being hungry and the leftover pastries actually weren’t that bad.  I knew if I just stayed positive and tried my best to take care of myself, I would be able to get a job, make my dreams come true and prove to my family that could accomplish my dreams.

“Young man, what you are doing?!” An older male spoke, but as I looked up, the sun seemed to be blinding me so I could barely see his face. “Go back home and stop eating from my trash,” he scolded me.

I smiled at the man warmly and laughed. “Wow, I can’t imagine how I must look to you right now.”

 

 

           I remember him being shocked for how I reacted to him. I remember I told him what happened to me and he seemed to have understood what I was going through and he told me “Well everyone has their ups and downs. But the most difficult part is to think positively that everything will work out at the end.” Of course at the time I believed that I was always taught to see the positive side of things from my parents, but I always seemed to be so naive and blind towards the true cruelty of the world around me.

 

       I started to shiver as the wind picked up its pace and the sky started to get darker. There was no light in my life, no hope, nothing. I just felt numb in my guilt. It seemed I was so stuck in my own thoughts, that when a bright yellow ball shot passed me I was shocked. It almost looked…no it couldn’t be.

        But when I started to daze of again I felt something hit my head and I slowly turned. I saw a yellow balloon with the obnoxious black words The Golden Anchor glaring right at me with all its glory; with a long pure white chain that was being held in a small boy's hand, while his other hand held onto another older male who was sitting right beside him.

         I tried so hard to ignore it but the balloon kept on patting me on the cheek. An to make things worse, it started slamming harder into my head as the wind picked up its pace and it could only get better because the kid started waving his hand around that was holding down the balloon so it was on a mad frenzy of smacking me in the head. I tried to move over but an old couple was sitting next to me, taking up the rest of the bench. One of the yellow balloons that I blew up to help make a child’s day happy was now beating me up. One of my yellow balloons.

       Before I even realized it, I out and when I woke up the yellow balloon was shattered on the pavement and the child was crying in the arms of the older male.

        

            “What is wrong with you?” The older male had bright blonde hair that was beautiful compared to my plain dark brown hair, and he was glaring at me with his protective eyes like a mother lynx.

       

          Oh no, what have I done! I was horrified! Did I just do that?  “Wait, I can make it better,” I quickly spoke as I went into my briefcase, pulling out long rubber balloons.

            “I think you have done enough.” The blonde male growled.

 

             I quickly started blowing up the balloons and turning them into something that was going to be even better than some normal balloon. “There.” I smiled as I made a balloon hat and put it on the young boys head. Then after that I made a balloon sword to complete it. “Now, you are a pirate.” I smiled as the boy jumped off the bench and squealed with delight. He had short black hair and huge brown eyes.

            "You are the clown!” He jumped up and down. “I go with my older cousin Kibum, umm, every Saturday to see you!” He giggled with joy. “My name is Bae.”

           The older blonde male named Kibum looked at me with understanding. “I’m sorry; I heard what happened to you.” He whispered in my ear. “He really loved coming to see you too.”

           “Look at me, I’m a pirate.” The boy giggled. “And you,” he spoke proudly to me, “are a sea monster and I will defeat you.” Bae started poking me with his balloon sword, making his cousin laugh and it seemed that his laugh was contagious for I started laughing with him.  “I wish I could have a job being a pirate or even a silly clown.”

            “Maybe you could do both.” I announced, pulling out a clown nose from my brief case.

             He thoughtfully took the red nose from me and looked up at me in shock. “Are you sure?” he uttered.  When I nodded me put it on right as the bus started to approach the bus stop.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I know this chapter may not be the best chapter ever. But I just wan to say thanks to my subscribers and to all my viewers. I don't know why, but even if you don't like it I'm still glad you took time out of your day to look at my story! :)