RexCullen94~ One-Shot~

Somewhere Over The Rainbow~ Imagines and One-Shots! |Open|Hiring|

 

My breath hung in clouds like the ghost of my life, clinging to my lips. I watched my breath furl out like fingers reaching for life to distract myself from how cold it was. Not only was the winter night air biting at my skin, the dark enclosed around me like a blanket of ambiguity. Even the street lamps didn't provide much to my vision in this dark night. 

I wasn't supposed to be out this late. Work had gone overtime and I had missed the last train, forcing me to walk home. It wasn't a long walk, thankfully, but it was an unsettling one. Lately there had been a spike in midnight muggings and robberies. Everyone was advised to stay home behind locked doors late at night. 

Shaking my head, I rubbed my arms furiously. Thinking about it wasn't going to help me. Just as I was rounding the corner to my street, I ran right into a hooded figure. 

I couldn't see their face, but the way they towered over me was enough for me to know that they weren't a friend. My legs shook with worry. I had no clue how to fight, not to mention the fact that I did one push-up three years ago and that was about it for my exercise. As the figure raised their arm to strike me, a car drive by. The headlights flooded us with their brightness and gave me just the right opportunity I needed. My legs took of running before my mind could catch up, and the next thing I knew I was on the floor of my living room. 

I sat up bolt straight and blinked at the pale color of my walls. Ever since the incident, I had been having nightmares about it. At least today, I would do something about it. Today, I was going to start self defense classes. 

Excited, I got ready quickly and headed to  the studio I would be taking lessons in.

Upon my arrival, there was not a single visible soul.  I wandered around aimlessly in the large building to see if I could find anyone. As I walked, I marveled at all the pictures of tournaments and trophies that lined the walls.  Walking further down the hall, I saw a figure practicing some form of martial art. 

Curious, I crept forward to watch them. In the room before me was a tall boy around my age. He moved so fluidly that it almost seemed as if he were dancing. His breathing was hard, but he seemed so concentrated. The way he practiced gave me the impression that he was the type if person who gave everything one hundred percent. 

I watched him for a while longer and snickered to myself when the lyrics of Make A Man Out Of You popped in my head. He moved swiftly like a coursing river; he had all the strength of a great typhoon, and he was, indeed, as mysterious as the dark side of the moon. 

"Can I help you?" His sudden question brought me out of my thoughts and I wondered how long he had seen me staring at him. 

"I-I was just looking for someone who could tell me where I'm supposed to go." I stuttered, caught off guard. 

"Well, the place is closed today. But if you want, I can teach you some things since you came all the way out here." he spoke kindly in a way that made me feel comfortable. 

"Really?" I asked, brow furrowed. 

"Yeah," he walked over to me and bowed politely, "name is Tao."

"Ah! Nam Shin Hye," I bowed hastily. 

"Well, Nam, let's begin." Tao said with a small smile.

~~~

I flopped to the floor, tired beyond reason. Tao had been showing me form after form as well as different self-defense techniques to use in a cinch. Despite how helpful all of the information had been, we had been working for so long that my legs felt like jelly.

"I think that should be enough for today," Tao nodded in satisfaction, barely breathing hard.

"Man, I need to get in shape," I shook my head and mumbled to myself.

"It takes practice. You'll be okay, though. After some time, I'm sure you'll be a great fighter. You're a quick learner." Tao said with yet another of his mysterious half smiles.

Throughout his instruction, I had noticed how attractive he was. Not only was he good looking, he was also kind and strong.

"Nam?" Tao leaned over me so that his face was in front of mine.

"Wah!" I pulled back, shocked.

"I asked which way your house was. I'll walk you back," he pointed out the door.

"No, no. You don't have to," I waved my hand back and forth. "Thank you, though."

"It's dark. You shouldn't be out alone. I'll take you back." He said firmly.

"Alright," I nodded. Shivering at the memory of the night I was almost attacked.

We walked in silence for quite some time in the chill of the night. Although we barely knew each other, it wasn't an awkward silence. He made me feel so comfortable around him. I felt that I didn't have to worry if I had Tao by my side.

"Why did you decide to learn Wushu, if I may?" Tao asked politely, breaking our silence.

"You may. I was almost attacked a few weeks ago. Since my work runs late sometimes, I miss the last train. Then I have to walk home and one time, these thugs stopped me. I was able to run away, but it was jarring. I wanted to learn how to protect myself if anything ever happened again." I spoke slowly, unsure of how to recount the tale without scaring myself.

"That's smart of you. I applaud you for taking action." Tao said with a hint of admiration in his voice. Despite myself, I began to flush. I was glad that the dark covered my face.

"This is my place." I said, pointing up the walkway.

"Alright then," he nodded as I opened the gate.

"Goodbye, Tao. Thanks for walking me," I waved, halfway up the path.

"Nam!" He called to me suddenly.

I turned around and cocked my head at him.

"Come back anytime and I'd be glad to teach you again!" He called before turning to walk away.

"Tao!" I called to him and ran back to my gate.

"Yeah?" He turned back and walked over.

"Thanks." I whispered and leaned forward to kiss him lightly.

When I pulled back, my eyes were wide. What had I done? I barely knew the guy and I just kissed him! Perhaps I had gotten ahead of myself just because he was a little nice to me.

"I am so sorry. Please forget I did that. I just got a little overly zealous or something." I apologized quickly with a burning face.

"It's okay. I don't want to forget that." Tao smiled a full smile and leaned in to brush his lips to mine.