~Alone~

Changing Evolution

A/N: whoa, i'm a bit lost with this new editing :( ??? but anyways, this is just a switch from laime to see what's going on in chanyeol's head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stare hard in to the third book of the pile of books that were on the cabinet. Each of them reveals more and more about things I never knew. Things that just barely make sense to me. I ignore the fact that some of these things are hard to comprehend and focus on writing out the most important parts in my own notebook.


Most of the symbols I understand. I know them well because they live in neighboring realms. My friends live in those realms. The thought of them fills me with a small light that quickly burns out with the thought of those creatures getting to them before I do. I rush through with re-writing the information just as I come across one of the birds.


A deep burning hatred ignites in my chest. Those things destroyed my home. Killed my people. And for what? Because they can't get everything they want? I hiss and snarl at the thought like a rabid animal. They will destroy anything and everything if they are given the chance. Their chance must be now, but why?


The thought of Laime comes to mind. Remembering how that idiot bird was actually trying to take her away. It wasn't until a few seconds of her getting out of its grip that it hit me. Those times when I was told a human crossed a realm. Each time it happened it was near when the realms went through change. But they always made it back home just as it was happening or had already been completed.

This time, the person, Laime, made it just in time. Which made me think that it's some type of plan. She thought the idea was too much but it could be possible. What I don't understand is how they were able to get someone to that warp to enter. It just doesn't make sense up to that point. 


I finish the third book and set it down to stretch. I've been staring at those pages for at least three hours now. I get up off the bed and decide to go check on the girl. Across the hall is the room I sent her to sleep in. The door lightly creeks open as I push it. Towards the farthest wall is the bed with her lying silently on top of it.


A shuffle from her on the bed makes me stand stiff, hoping she doesn't wake up. No, she sniffles and lets out a small sneeze. For some reason I think it's cute and a smile spreads over my face. In a second I wipe the smile off and shake my head. I march over to the side of the bed and silently scold her for not pulling the blankets up over herself.


'Crazy girl.' I mumble as I reach over to cover her in the blankets. They're a bit thin but it's better than nothing. It isn't until my hand twitches that I realize I'm staring at her. Her condition is really bad with skin that is getting more grey and pale. It's sad to see her sleeping so silently and peacefully when she is this ill. 


Before I decide to leave I check her forehead for a temperature. There is none so I exit the room and go back to the one across the hall. In the room, I go back to the bed and grab another book to read through. The first page gets my attention right away. These writings I would know anywhere. I only learned a little bit of the language but it's just enough for me to make out what kind of book it is. A book of cures written by the Elves.


I let out a silent whoop of achievement at this unlikely find. It's just my lucky night. There must be some cure in here that I can do to help the girl. Once again, I'm completely absorbed in the contents of a book. My eyes scan and bore in to the book looking for something specific. 


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I found it!


After two and a half hours of translating I find the perfect cure. I have to bite down on my tongue to keep in a shout of victory.  I jump off the bed and with the book in my hand, run across to her room. A wide smile on my face as I walk over to her.


"I found something to help you." I whisper to her as I carefully take my jacket from her. "But I've got to find the herbs first."


I re-cover her with the blankets and head for the door. As I make it to the door I hear a silent chatter of teeth. I turn to see her body trembling under the thin blankets. Of course she'll be cold. I go to the center of the room and crouch down. With a swift rub of my hands and a snap of my finger a ball of fire lights up in my hand. I set the fire to hover just above the floor so to not set it on fire.


That should hold over for a while, I conclude and leave the house behind.


Searching for these herbs is a lot more difficult than I thought. Especially in the middle of the night with nothing but a fire to illuminate my surroundings. As soon as I entered in to the thickness of the trees I got too excited and grabbed at the first leave I spotted. A split second later my hand started to burn with an itch and irritation like I'd never felt before. In the back of my head I silently cursed myself for being so hasty.


A whole hour goes by with me picking up leave after leave. Not one thing I've picked up was even a herb, just leaves. At least I didn't make the mistake of picking up that poisoned leave. There were many of those. 


I can tell by the heaviness of my feet that I'm near giving up. Nothing looks like the little leaves I found in that Elven book. I've traveled far enough in to the trees and decide to turn back. Maybe I've just overlooked them and will find it on the way back. With the thought in mind I begin to trudge back, feeling the loss of a cure that seemed so close. I kick up dust as I huff my way through the dark trees. Just as I'm kicking up my fifth round of dust something catches my eye. A bright red that the dirt lands lightly on.

My feet stop, I stare blankly at the little red plant, others starting to shed their brown color to be shown. In awe, I continue to stare at the simple yet brilliant transformation before my eyes. Then it hits me. As the red starts to fade back to the dark color, that these are the herbs I've been looking for.


Before I get too excited, I pull out the Elven book and flip to the page. Sure enough, it is the same plant. Suddenly the words that I couldn't make sense of before in the description make perfect sense. It read that the leaves have a changing factor to keep them hidden and safe. From what, I'm not sure and don't really care. All I know is that I've finally got a cure.


Not in the least hesitant manner, I bend down to swipe the herbs up. Now that they aren't attached to the ground they stay a dark color which gives me a second of a doubt but I shake it off. As soon as I stand up I hear something familiar. Something I don't want to hear and hope is just in my head.


I know it's not in my head when I see from a distance the wide wings of one of those things. I swear my heart drops with the thoughts racing through my mind right now. That it must be after Laime, right now. I'm in such a rush that I almost forget about the herbs but quickly stuff them in to my coat pockets as I begin to run in the direction of the thing. 


My heart is pounding in my chest with each landing step. Thinking that I need to get to her before it does. But it's starting to lower. It's going to get her. No, I won't let it. I kick up as much speed as I can manage before the huge wings disappear in to the trees and re-emerge with a wriggling body. In that moment I freeze up until I hear her scream.


"CHANYEOL! WHERE ARE YOU?!" 


Raging anger once again, seeing her being carried off. My whole body starts to burn as fire churns inside. Hands ball in to tight fist, ready to bring the fire. I'm used to both hands lighting up but I'm thrown off when only one hand has a flame in it. I look to my right hand to see it only an even more irritated shade of red with long gashes on my palms. That poison.


Coming back to my sense, the fact that Laime is being taken away, I look up to see them high in the sky. With my one burning hand I throw a fireball but it misses.


"You're too late!" I hear it laugh down to me in a sickening way.


As much as I'd like to believe that I can get her, that it's not too late, I know that it really is. I'm left her only able to stare at the figure flapping in the sky, getting smaller and smaller. The dot that was once them completely disappears and it gets oddly silent. A silence that makes me feel like I've gone insane. The slightest twitch of my mouth only barely brings me back. 


A really dark feeling, a feeling I've been trying to keep at bay, starts to build back up. It started when I saw my people. When I found out what had happened to them. I lost all of them, I can't loose her to them. It's still unknown to me why they need her. At the settled in realization of what I've let happen, a torrent of curses escape my mouth.


"What the hell am I going to do now?" I curse some more as I look around at the widening empty space all around me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: don't worry, you'll see what happens to laime :)