~In Limbo~Part 1~

Changing Evolution
"Don't just stand there," his bass voice surprises me, "say something."
 
I continue to stand right where I am with absolutely nothing going through my mind. What am I to say? All I do is stare at him which isn't that hard to do. One of his eyebrows furrows and a side of his mouth pulls up in to a smirk. He takes a step forward and I take a step back.
 
I continue standing as still as a pole as he walks right in my direction but past me. I hear shuffling behind me, on the table-like crate is all that I can think the noise is coming from. I finally decide to move and turn on my heel to see him crouched at the crate table organizing things. He doesn't acknowledge me in his presence at all.
 
I crane my neck to look over his shoulder. It's unfortunate that he arrived when he did. I still want to see the other things that were there. Once the crate looks a little neat, he picks up the notebook and flips a few pages. He stops on one page and I crane my neck even more to see. There's no point in me doing this because I can't read what's on the page anyway. 
 
He stands up suddenly, taking me by surprise and I stumble back a few steps. Once he is up straight he then turns back towards me with a thoughtful expression on his face. For a moment, the only noise to be heard is the wind whistling through the walls of this scorched home. I hear something clatter on the floor above and look up, hoping the floor isn't about to collapse. I look back in front of me to the guy who still has a thoughtful look on his face. Then the look goes to my right hand. The hand that I forgot I have the brooch in. A frown comes to his face.
 
In two long strides he steps towards me and is only a foot away, staring at my hand.
 
"What is that?" I still can't get over his voice. 
 
I lift my hand and open it to see the silver brooch lying there. I look back to him and a look of relief washes over his face. 
 
"I was looking for that." He reaches out for my hand and takes the brooch, grazing my hand with his warm one. "So you've had it all this time."
 
He says the last part as if it's a fact that I've had it for however long he's lost it. My face screws up as I begin to protest.
 
"I found it today. On the ground." I speak up for myself which catches him off guard.
 
"She speaks." He says to himself while placing the silver brooch on the left chest side of his black coat. Once it's in place he pats it then gives it an oddly fond look. "No need to go on the offense."
 
I make a face at him which he ignores.
 
"Why did you come back?" He asks me with deep curiosity written over his face.
 
Instead of answering him I just observe him. Asking myself all the questions I want answered in my head. Question one on my list: does he really have some power? I walk closer to him and his eyebrows rise up in even more curiosity. With scrutinizing eyes, I circle him to only see that he is wearing the same pants and coat from yesterday. Nothing unusual about his appearance. Except the fact that he is slender and tall. So that makes his appearance a bit unusual.
 
Standing back in front of him without my first question answered only henders my second: what did he do with those powers of his? If I can't be sure that he really did what he had done, then how am I to figure this one out? I chew the inside of my cheek as I continue to think. As I am thinking the guy leans to one side and crosses his arms over his chest with an amused expression. 
 
"Are you wondering if it was real?" He finally asks me after minutes of silence. I don't make any intelligable answer. "It was. Which is why I don't understand why you are back in these mountains, to be honest. But you are here. And I'm kind of glad if I should add. It's kind of boring here."
 
Why is he speaking so casual to me? I at least expected for him to be all territorial about a stranger being here. But no. He's only bored here. At least I got my answer, right? But I don't want to leave just yet. I've gotten way too curious to just leave now. I add another question to figure out: what is he doing here? I'll ask that later. For now:
 
"What's your name?" 
 
"I'm Chanyeol." He answers, patting his chest with pride. Well, getting that from him was easy.
 
"I'm Laime." I tell him before he gets a chance to say anything else.
 
He walks over to me and stretches his long arm out to me for a handshake. I take his hand and am surprised at how hot it is. It seems like he is running a severe fever. But his expression looks fine. After the handshake he turns and heads back to his table-like crate. He bends down and picks the old notebook up. 
 
"Did you understand what was in here?" He turns back to me with the notebook in front of him.
 
"Am I supposed to?" I return a question in a confused tone.
 
"Good answer." He chuckles and walks back to me. He stops just to the side of me then stands in my direction, shoulder to shoulder. "Look again."
 
As he flips through the pages I look up in to his face. This guy is real strange. Something is off about him but I can't pinpoint it. He then taps a page of the notebook and I look at it. The page is filled with black ink drawings. Many diagrams, one of them being the figure with the Phoenix among many others. It all looks like some type of mythical gathering. Almost like Greek myths but they aren't. I know what a Greek myth looks like and this is not it.
 
"What do you think about it?" He finally speaks up and points to the drawings.
 
"Um," I begin slowly and unsure of myself. "All I can think of is it looks like some sort of myth. Like Greek type of stuff. Or even ancient Egypt."
 
"Myth?" He seems very intrigued by the thought. Then he looks as if he's just realized something. "Why didn't I think of that? There are myths?"
 
I make a face as he has had this epiphany. What is going through his mind right now? I ignore this question and think of the writing in the notebook and what they mean to me with my limited knowledge on the subject. Well, he just said myths so maybe that has something to do with it? Myths. Myths. 
 
Myths? 
 
Wait a minute.
 
Now I think I get it. I snatch the notebook from his hands and flip to further pages in the book. With observant eyes, I stare at the strange language. Now that I look closely, they do have similarities to ancient languages I've seen before. Like Latin with an ancient Egypt style hieroglyphic image.
 
Then a question pops in to my head. I look up to Chanyeol curiously then ask, "Do you understand what this says?"
 
"Urm," he hesitates and makes a face, avoiding my eyes, "a little bit."
 
I'm not too convinced with his reply but who am I to pry in his personal business? Another question: "If I showed you some things that look similar to these writings, would they mean anything?"
 
"Maybe." His face returns to normal as he looks at me. "There are writings that look like these?"
 
"Yeah." I shove the notebook in to his chest and turn to leave.
 
"Where are you going?" He calls when I get down three steps.
 
"Just stay here. I'll be right back." I call up to him and run out the front door.
 
I'm just about to tear through the trees when, "Wait! Stop!"
 
"What?" I stop and turn with a roll of my eyes.
 
He walks out the doors of the burnt house and towards me. I'm starting to see the expression on his face. An expression that looks to be at a loss for what to say when giving bad news. But...what's the bad news? He approaches me, stopping three feet away.
 
"What is it?" I ask him when he doesn't say anything.
 
"Where exactly are you trying to go?" he asks slowly.
 
"To the library?" I answer in the same slow tone.
 
"Library...?" he says to himself with a question marked face. Then he shakes his head as if to shake the thought then continues. "You can't go to library. You're not where you should be."
 
What...is he saying? I ask myself as I stare at him blankly. He obviously gets that I'm not understanding him and starts up again. 
 
"You really shouldn't have come back here." he grumbles with a furrowed brow, grimacing. "It's interesting that you came back here on your own even after seeing what you did. But it was a bad idea."
 
"What...do you mean?" I turn myself to be completely facing him with a set expression. "Why is it a bad idea?"
 
"Didn't anything seem strange to you when you came back in?" he asks me intently.
 
I stand and think. Wondering exactly what answer he is searching for. In this split second I can only come up with the fact that he, who brought fire, was the only strange thing. But that was yesterday, not today. So what should I be thinking of? I start to recall everything from the beginning. I remember entering the trees. The only thing strange about that was the fact that I was remebering everything from yesterday. Nothing as big of a deal as he is making it. Then I recall the brooch, his brooch, which...sadly isn't a big deal either.
 
Oh!
 
Right! I remember that odd feeling or sensation or whatever it was. That guiding to go in a certain direction. 
 
"You know now?" he asks me when he sees the expression upon my face signaling that I remembered something.
 
"Uh, there was a feeling I had that kind of guided me somewhere." I speak low and slow, still just a bit unsure about what I'm saying and if it's right.
 
"Okay." he nods his head. "Anything else?"
 
"Anything else? What else could there be?" I think out loud.
 
"Did anything seem a bit off...or different?"
 
I remember. He knows. It clicks in my head. The whole situation when my surroundings had seemed to change then this house popping up out of nowhere. What...the...?
 
"You know now?" I only stare at him in half confusion. "That feeling that you experienced was you being pulled to a portal."
 
Right at those words my mouth drops...in disbelief. What nonsense is he trying to spew out to me right now? But he continues on before I can comprehend to even ask this question.
 
"I know it probably sounds crazy to you but it's the truth. Just as much truth as me and fire." 
 
"Okay---" I nod slowly, "so...where am I?"
 
Silent pause.
 
"You're in between realms. In between my realm of Pyre and yours of Earth." I give him an expression of complete disbelief. He lets out a heavy sigh and rolls his eyes. "You. Are. Not. On. Earth."
 
I frown at him then look around at my surroundings. Nothing here looks too different. Trees look like...trees. Sky looks like...sky. I look from the non-changing sky and trees back to him in front of me. There is a light tinge of redish-orange in his skin. As if he's scalding hot. Unintentionally, my head to one side as I stare at his skin turning an even deeper shade of this red color. That's right before I see a flicker of light by his right side. Was that a...a flame?
 
"We've got a lot to deal with." he says with a frown that's only getting deeper and deeper.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: it's about to be 2am and here i am posting up a chapter...but luckily i don't mind ;3
 
i finished it earlier today but i couldn't find time to post it due to not being around some internet connection...so here it is
 
hope it was good and that a little bit of enough of what's going on here was revealed.....there's still part two though :) so until next time \(^.^)/