Brother A, Brother B and....

The room of no return

I sniffed into the damp morning air. A swift breeze frolicked around me as I tugged Daniel's sweater closer around my shoulders. What was bothering me, apart from the fact that we'd been transported to a place of unknown?

There were shadows lurking around at night. I could feel them, almost taste their existence. I blushed as a memory of myself shifting closer to Daniel rushed through my head. It had rained the entire night and we had cuddled under a tree in an attempt at keeping dry, his sweater shared between us. He was so close to me I could hear his even breathing and feel the warmth radiate from his body...

No. I shook my head to break out of my childish daydream of romance. It's not good enough, I said to myself. Not when we're in the middle of nowhere. Not when we have no certainty of even returning aliv-

Branches behind me crunched and foot steps grew louder as they approached. Heart skipping a beat, I immediately searched for a hiding place. It can't be Daniel- these footsteps belonged to others. I'm sure of it. To my right lay a bush, topped with exotic pink flowers. I made a run for it, dashing into its depths and willing myself to stay still. The footsteps got closer.

My view was restricted but it was enough to see a bit of the clearing. Three men entered abruptedly. One of them turned his head in my direction and it was long enough for me to study his appearance. Not much older than me, he was tall and ... well, and nonetheless more good-looking than any idol out there. No I wasn't entranced by his looks- it wasn't the time to do so. Behind him another man, probably a few years older, started giving out orders. They spoke English.

"Where is she?"

"She's definitely here...another male too. We heard them last night." This came from the good-looking one. Oh great, a handsome boy out to catch me..kidnap me..whatever. I didn't understand why it even mattered to them. Because we entered Teziworld? Oh what, is this their property? A thought popped in my head. Hey, maybe they know what's going on and can take us out of here! I was suddenly excited and raised my head. A mistake.

The bush ruffled and pink flowers fluttered to the ground in more grace than the situation allowed. My heart sank as I saw their heads turn to my direction. Before I could get out of the bush or even utter another disgraceful word, a strong pair of hands grabbed me from behind, locking my arms into a tight knot behind my back. I tried to break free but it was no use. A handkerchief was pushed over my mouth and the world around me spun as I sank into the arms of the stranger behind me.

Droplets of water splattered on my face. It was cold. Freezing. I opened my eyes in panic. I was in a dark cave, only lit by lanterns at the entrance, which was, I think, a long way away from where I was. My hands were still locked behind my back and I was squatting on the ground with my back against the cave wall. Luckily for me, the kidnappers -what I will refer to them from now on- were nowhere to be seen. Good. This isn't the time for an introduction but apart from being a maths enthusiast, I'm also quite the drama lover. Quite frankly, I love watching dramas more than anything else.. It was at that moment that I decided in determination that I would escape from these Kidnappers' grasp and find my way to Daniel again. If those heroines could do it, why not me? I scrunched my nose up for one last burst of courage. To my left The Kidnappers had chucked some extra rope to the side. I threw myself in that direction , each painful landing a vivid smack against my . Finally, I found myself sitting next to the rope. Ok, now what? I willed myself to think but no idea came. A piece of rope... what can I do with that anyway? Tie myself even tighter? I chuckled at my lame joke and sat back against the wall in desperation.

At that moment I could hear, once again, faint footsteps in the distance. Someome was approaching the cave entrance. My heart started racing in panic. There's no time for jokes anymore. I need to take action. My eyes scanned the room and fell on a mysterious object in the corner of the cave. It resembled...a knife. Without missing a second, I grabbed the extra piece of rope I'd obtained through my available fingers and it towards the knife, hoping it would travel in my direction. It missed and I tried again. Another miss.

By this time whoever was walking into the cave had reached the entrance. I gambled for one last desperate chance and the rope with all my might. This time the knife spun and glided towards my direction. So close. I threw myself at it, stumbling across the ground with a thump and reaching my arms towards it. The cool handle brushed against my sweaty palms.

Suddenly I realised a figure hovering above me. More frightened than ever, I clung onto my knife.

And held it out towards him.