Down the Stream

The room of no return

My pupils constricted as the light from outside the cave gave a full blast, illuminating the figure above me with a mysterious glow. I could feel my tight breathing and each pant and rise of my heart, seeing from the corner of my eye the sharp gleam of the knife I held out. I felt dangerous. It suddenly alarmed me that if the situation arises, I would actually stab someone with that dagger. Is that what humanity comes down to? To fight for one's survival we must ignore our feelings of empathy and turn into a savage being? My arm tensed and I felt the knife slip out of my fatigued grasp. There was blood on my hand and I realised I'd somehow cut myself under all that adrenaline. A loud 'clunk' echoed throughout the cave as the knife dropped onto the cold cave ground.

My head banged with fear and disillusion, a feeling of faint dispersing into every compartment of my body. As I felt myself starting to fall back down on the ground I was suddenly aware that the stranger had knelt down next to me. He supported my weight with his arms and brought his face close to mine.

It was him. The one at the clearing... Wait. Wasn't he the one who caught me and took me to this very misery? Senses suddenly stimulated, I used all my strength to break free from him, pushing him away. Before I could attempt to make my escape, voices from the entrance of the cave travelled into close proximity. My heart quickened.

And then he spoke.

Well actually he took action then spoke. Yeah I tend to get the order mixed up- especially in confusing and unpredictable situations like these. I suddenly felt him reach out for me desperately as he put his hands over my mouth.

"Don't make a sound." And then he lifted me up with his arms and hid under a border lateral to our location in the cave. My eyes opened widely as I realised what he was doing. Was he...saving me? From his comrades? But why. Why.

Over at that side of the cave I could detect the quickened, rushed voices as they realised I was missing. From my hidden position I could see the dagger I'd obtained lying on the floor, stained with a red hue. My blood. Instinctively, I looked down at my hands and sure enough it was stained. He...and by he I mean my kidnapper/saver/I-don't-even-know-who-he-is...reached for my hand from underneath my weight and inspected it quietly. The other kidnappers ran outside and I realised the coast was clear. I could finally make my escape. I shuffled, thinking this dude would finally put me down. However, his grasp on me remained tight as he looked around before moving us to I suppose what he decided was our next location. Seriously, what am I? Some kind of object someone can just kidnap and then lift away? This stranger-well I refuse to say stranger because despite not knowing who the hell he is, he still saved me from that mess-. What does he want? As we reach the outside, the natural light of which I'd been so deprived, I heard his gentle murmur.

"Don't worry. I'm just taking you out of their territory. You can leave by yourself then."

"..ok. hmm." That's all I managed to say. So hey, this guy is on my team? Maybe he's a secret spy for Teziworld. Maybe he's the king's knight who's undercover with some kidnappers. Yes, it's the drama instincts again. I can't really help what I think. Especially when I'm in the arms of a stranger who is carrying me to who-knows-where in a place called Teziworld that I can no longer rely on my geographical skills to locate. My life is so screwed up.

I was still on this chain of thought when he made a stop. We were in a different territory alright. Everything looked so different and a beautiful long water stream spread across the land. He carefully lowered me to my feet as I tried to regain my balance. And now, only now, can I look up at him properly. Not like in a dark cave, or from behind a bush. I stood facing this stranger, who could possibly have become an ally, and studied him.

Yea I won't give any detailed descriptions but think Chen's charisma, Luhan's warmth and Kyuhyun's sparkly eyes. My heart stopped and my train of thought also stopped. He looked at my gasping mouth in confusion and gave a slight chuckle. Then, his eyes fell on my hand. He reached out and caressed the cut, with my now dry blood. He led me over to the stream and gently waved my hand into the river. The cold exposure caused me to pull back in surprise but he held my hand in place. Soon, the wound had been cleaned.

And what happened next.

You know, I would say this is so cliche if it happened in a drama or something because it's in every plot line. And no I'm not fond of that kind of stuff. It's for people who love cheesy stuff and I like to think of myself as a unique fairy. You know, all that jazz. But anyway, then he helped my dry my hand and held it in his palm, bending down to blow a cool current over it.

"Thanks." I managed to murmur. I hesitantly took my hand away from him, embarrassed, and relaxed it by my side. "Are you going now?"

He greeted my eyes and gave a slight nod.

"Look after yourself. They won't find you here. Just make sure you don't go back to that previous location. You'll recognise it by theTeziworld sign..."

And then it hit me. Daniel. He's back there. My door. Back to university. It's back there. Oh my god I need to get back there.

My eyes must have widened in horror of some sort because he suddenly tensed. "Will you be ok?"

I swallowed. Yeah be independent with life ok . I gave a big nod and turned away from him. "Thanks again. Even though I don't actually know why you're doing all this, I'm glad I've managed to escape. You should get on your way."

He nodded and hesitantly turned to leave. As his footsteps garnered a growing gait away from me, I turned around to take one final peek at him. Will I ever see him again?