Chapter 2 Maneater

You Only Get One Shot

 

We had been in school three weeks and I was getting closer to starting my mission. My only problem was Hana. She was determined to keep me from getting Bang Yongguk.  Hana wanted me to fail the mission so she could steal it from me and become her daddy's favorite.  I didn't care about her childish jealousy, I needed revenge for my parents. After the first day I made plans to speak to Bang Yongguk in class. When he sat down I gave him a flirty smile. My chest burned with rage on the inside. All I wanted was to stand over him with a gun in my hand and bullet in his head. " Good morning Bang Yongguk."  "Good morning Min, how are you?" " I am fine, and you?" " Good." I smiled and turned back towards the board. So that wasn't the longest conversation but it was a start.

 

After class I saw Moon Jongup talking to Mae. I rolled my eyes, another suitor trying to get Mae's affection. They didn't notice me as I got my books for science. "Jongup you're so sweet." Mae looked really happy so I decided to be nice to this boy. "Hi Mae, hi Jongup." They both smiled at me then continued flirting with each other.

 

I walked to science and sat down in my seat. Next to me was a dark haired boy I had seen around school. I couldn't remember his name but I knew he was in my homeroom. He didn't seem to notice me as he fixed his hair in a compact mirror. "Hi" I said not wanting to be rude. " Hello." I was surprised to hear such a deep voice from him. He seemed to notice my shock and said " yes I know it's quite shocking the first time you hear it, you'll get used to it." I smiled to myself, I liked this boy. I heard Hana giggle really loud behind me. I turned around to see her touching Bang Yongguk's arm. I rolled my eyes and turned back to my lab table. The dark haired boy beside me was now watching me. His eyes followed where my gaze had been and seemed to sneer in Hana's direction. "Do you know her?" I sighed then replied " sadly yes, that's my cousin Hana." He scoffed and said " I feel bad for you." "What did she do to you?" " She stole my seat." I examined him a moment then took a guess " best friend ?" He nodded and began messing with his hair again. I chuckled then said " allow me ?" He watched as I reached over and began readjusting his hair. I felt someone's gaze on me as I did this. I pulled back and smiled at my work. "I'm Min." " Kim Himchan."  "Very nice to meet you." He smirked and leaned over to whisper in my ear. " He's been watching you this whole time, just so you know." He pulled back and looked towards the front. I turned to see it had been Bang Yongguk's gaze on me. Hana glared at me her eyes threatening but I ignored her.

 

I walked with Kim Himchan to my locker where he put his number in my phone. " See you at lunch Min." I smiled at him then turned to my locker where I pulled out my supplies for music class.  Mae ran up to me with a big smile on her face. " Jonguppie asked me out!" I raised an eyebrow at her. She rolled her eyes and punched my arm. "Shut up Kwon, just because I can get cute boys to go out with me and you refuse every offer." I sighed " you know I don't have time to date, plus now I have the mission." Mae nodded understandingly. "He's so cute though, shame you have to take him out." I huffed and closed my locker. I waved goodbye and went to the music classroom.

 

I walked inside to see most of the seats were taken. I groaned to myself, Bang Yongguk was also in this class. I sat in between him and another boy. He was very thin and had light blonde hair. He was chatting with the girls in the row across from ours. I turned to Bang Yongguk and smiled. "Hello Bang Yongguk." He shook his head and said " just call me Yongguk." I nodded and tested it out " Yongguk."  I sighed to myself and ran my fingers through my hair. I just wanted to get this mission over with. The sooner this boy and his family were dead the better. The teacher came in and told us we would be working with our groups today. We had to write a composition, then words to go with it. I turned to the boy on my right and introduced myself. " Hi I'm Min." " Jung Daehyun." "Nice to meet you." He smiled and turned to face us. "So how are we doing this ?" I asked wanting to get this done. "Well I don't mind singing but I don't really write songs" Jung Daehyun said. I looked at Yongguk and he said " I can write the composition if someone can help with the words." Jung Daehyun  and I nodded in agreement. Yongguk walked away to get his laptop from his backpack up front. " So how come I've never seen you around school?" Jung Daehyun asked. I shrugged and answered " I guess I just keep to myself." He nodded and started talking again "Do you have a lot of friends ?" " I have Mae she's my best friend." " Well now you have me too."  He gave me a genuine smile and I couldn't help but return it. We heard someone clear their throat and we turned to face them. Yongguk was glaring at us. Jung Daehyun raised his eyebrow at me. "Are you ready to get started or do you want to keep flirting?" I cursed to myself. I couldn't have Yongguk think I liked Jung Daehyun. I worked quickly " Aw is Gukkie jealous, didn't you hear me and Jung Daehyun are getting married!" I grabbed Jung Daehyun's face and pretended to kiss at him. He laughs and pushes my face away. "Back up Min!" I saw Yongguk's face relax as he chuckled at us.

 

For the next forty minutes we worked on the words of the song. The boys decided on a love song.We discovered Jung Daehyun had a beautiful voice so we agreed he would sing the song. We only got through the first verse when the bell rang. "It was nice meeting you Min." " You too Jung Daehyun." "Just Daehyun please." I grinned and nodded my head. I gathered my stuff and headed for the door. When I got to my locker Jongup was standing there looking lost. "Looking for Mae ?" He nodded at me and smiled. I laughed a little then told him " she's probably fixing her hair in the bathroom." " Thank you." I waved  goodbye and walked towards trig.

 

There was one empty desk left at the back of he classroom. I sat down and took and my book and calculator. Right away the teacher began writing a problem on the board. She turned and said "who knows the answer?" I heard people around me groan as the boy beside me raised his hand. "Once again does only Youngjae know the answer ?" I heard a boy in the front cough then say "nerd." I rolled my eyes "wow good one, youre so original" I said. I heard the others laugh including Youngjae.  The teacher told us to settle down and wrote another problem o. The board. Youngjae leaned over to me and whispered " thank you." I smiled and replied "no problem."  I struggled to understand how to do the problems.

 

When the bell rang I groaned. I wasn't sure how I would do my homework if I didn't know how to do any of this. Before I walked out Youngjae grabbed my shoulder " I noticed you didn't complete your work if you want I can tutor you or something." " You would do that ?" " Gladly." " I owe you one Youngjae." He laughed and we walked out the classroom and went our separate ways. 

 

 I put my stuff away and walked to the cafeteria.  I got my lunch and looked around to find Mae. I saw her and Jongup sharing noodles. I was heading over when someone called my name. "Min!" I smiled once I saw who it was "hello Kim Himchan." "Can we join you for lunch ?" I noticed Yongguk behind him. "Sure no problem."  We all sat down and Mae finally looked away from Jongup. " Mae this is Kim Himchan and Yongguk." She waved politely then continued talking to Jongup. I felt someone cover my eyes then say " guess who?" "Well for three years I've only had one friend so I'm guessing its Daehyun." He laughed and sat down next to me.  Yongguk and Kim Himchan started talking about their English homework. While beside me Daehyun was telling me about how he was going to join the soccer team. I tried to give him my attention but all I could think of was the mission. Yongguk had to die even though he seemed like such a nice boy. Then  I thought of Kim Himchan, Yonggukk's best friend, how would he feel when he found out Yongguk was dead. The scariest thought of all crept into mind. Hoow would my parents feel if they saw me sitting with the son of the man who killed them ? I excused myself and walked toward the bathroom.

 

I stayed there a few minutes if only to control my breathing.   I was about to walk out when Hana came in with a smirk on her face. "Aw, what's wrong cousin can't handle the little mission?" I glared at her I was gonna rip that smirk off her face. "Shut up Hana and mind your own damn business." This didn't seem to phase her as she continued to mock me. "Maybe I'll have to tell daddy you can't go through with it." In the blink of an eye I had her pinned to the door by her neck. I pulled my switch blade out and traced with the tip. "If you ever think of trying to screw me over, I will cut the smirk off your mouth and carve the tongue from your throat." Her face paled but her eyes stayed unyielding. I let her go and walked back to the cafeteria.