Chapter 4 Grief and Guilt

You Only Get One Shot
I tossed and turned violently beneath my covers. My sheets were covered in sweat. All I could see was his face; his blood was on my hands. I sat up breathing heavily, my cheeks flushed, my hair wet. I started towards the bathroom to clean off my face. I looked in the mirror and stared. My cheeks were flustered and my hair was soaking wet. My heart was beating quickly with so many emotions. I pulled my fingers through my hair trying to relieve some of the tension. I strided back to my bed and closed my eyes. I kept them shut dreading the day that was to come.
 
 
I took my time waking up the next morning. I clenched my eyes at the glimpse of sunlight shining through my window.  I showered, pulled on my clothes, and headed out the door for school. As I parked my car I sat anxiously, dreading even setting one foot in that building.
 
I opened the door hearing my heart beat in my ears with every step I took. The hallway was empty so I knew I was late. My hand shook as I reached to open the classroom door. I entered with my head down, counting the tiles.  When I looked up I jumped back in shock. What was going on here?
 
 
 
I came home from school feeling worn out. My best friend was trying to steal the heart of the girl I had grown feelings for. It wasn’t like me to feel anger towards anyone. So caught up in my anger I barely noticed the small hand tugging on my pants. I looked down to meet a pair of innocent brown eyes. When I saw who it was I couldn't help but smile. "Hello my little Zelo" I beamed. Bending down   to pick him up.  "I missed you."  He gurgled in response focusing his attention on my chain. My mother came in and hugged me tightly. " I am very happy to see you Gukkie." "You too mother" I replied. I kissed Zelo's head as I sat him down in his high chair. " Where's father ?" I asked. "he had business to take care of." " Is Yongnam with him" "No, he won't be leaving till tonight." I sighed, my father was a very secretive man. Even as a child he would not tell us what he did for a living. My twin brother Yongnam and I had always been close. There was nothing that could come between us. One day, when we were doler, my father said he wanted to speak to Yongnam in private. After that day he and my father spent more time together. Sometimes Yongnam didn't come home for days. Three years later our new brother had been born.  Now I spent all my time caring for him. The only time I see Yongnam is at breakfast. 
 
 
Later that night as my mother and Zelo were sleeping, I heard Yongnam's door open. I stormed out of my room to see him putting on his jacket. " Where are you going?" He paused, seeming hesitant to answer." Dad needs me to take care of some business." " what kind of business" I hissed.  " Private business."  I glared at him. " Why  don't you you just tell me, I'm your brother" I snapped.  " It's because you're my brother that I can't tell you." I followed him down the stairs.  " I am so sick of your secrets Yongnam, if you walk out that door you will no longer be my brother." He froze at the door.  " I love you brother." With that he walked out the door. 
 
The next morning Yongnam wasn't at breakfast but my father was. I tried hard to hide the look of surprie on my face. " Something the matter Yongguk?" " No father." I also notced my mother wasn't there. Usually Yongnam would be asleep on his plate and mother would be cooking breakfast, her short brown hair covered in flour. She would hum old Korean songs while she cooked. This morning was eerily silent.  "Sir might I ask where Yongnam is ?" I requested. My father's eyes did not meet my own. " He's dead" he stated plainly. I felt eveyrhting stand still. " You must be mistaken sir." " He is dead Yongguk." " NO  YOU'RE LYING, HE'S SLEEPING UPSTAIRS I'LL PROVE IT." With that I rushed upstair and slammed Yongnam's door open. There I found my mother laying on his bed crying. I felt my knees shake and my  heart pound. I couldn't be here, I grabbed my backpack and ran out the door. 
 
 
I saw Yongguk sitting in his usual seat. I couldn't hear anything. My breathing was escalating. Someone was speaking but who? Then, I out. When I came to I found myself In the nurse's office. I stayed there until lunch. I couldn't handle seeing Yongguk again. 
 
During lunch, Mae and I hid in the bathroom to discuss all that had happened that night. Mae was thinking it over while I wiped off my face. " Could he have a brother?" I felt a lgiht go off in my brain. " Of course, that has to be it."  I started to smile but then realization hit me " I killed his brother." Guilt rushed through my body. All this time I wanted to make the Guks pay but I didn't imagine it would feel like this.  " What do I do Mae, my uncle thinks the job is done. Hana will tell him as soon as she sees Yongguk." " You might have to really kill him this time Min."