Chapter 5 The Truth In Death

You Only Get One Shot

When I got to science class that day Hana immediately began talking to me. "Yongguk I heard the news I am so sorry." I turned to look at her " what are you talking about?" "I heard about your brother." I froze, my breathing became shallow and my throat dry. " I don't want to talk about that Hana." " Of course not, I just hope they catch whoever was responsible." That's when i started to think,she was right. Yongnam had been murdered. Someone had killed my brother, my twin. I needed to find out who was responsible. I had a feeling my father would know something. I promised myself I would break into his office as soon as he left the house that evening. I felt Hana's hands on my arm as she continued to talk about something. But all I could focus on was finding the truth.

 

That evening as soon as my father left I ran up to his office. The door was unlocked so I walked right in. I went over to his desk and started opening drawers. I found mostly papers then I came to one that was locked. I searched the desk for a key. When I found it I unlocked the drawer and pulled it open. My heart raced at what I saw, a gun. Why did my father have this? Was he the one who murdered Yongnam? I closed the door and raced back to my room. I laid on my bed thinking carefully. I needed to find out more about my father's work.  Starting with that gun.

 

In the morning I got up early to make Zelo breakfast. Mother had been sleeping in Yongnam's room ever since she heard the news. Even  though she didn't say it, I could tell she had trouble looking at me. All she could see was the same face as the son she lost, making her ache all over again. Zelo was already awake when I walked in. He  gave me a toothless smile and reached up. I scoped him into my arms. As soon as he was fed I got him dressed and set him in the play pin."Let me get dressed Zelo, then I'll take you to daycare." I walked upstairs and got ready.

 

When I arrived at the school Hana ran up to my car. " Hello, Gukkie" she said giving me a flirty smile. I sighed to myself, not in the mood to be patient. " Hi Hana." She clung to my arm as we walked inside the building. "How was your night? You didn't text me like you said yesterday." I tried to search my memories but couldn't remember if I had said that. " I'm sorry, must've forgot." For a moment she seemed agitated but she kept smiling. " It's okay I know you must have been grieving." I felt a sharp pain in my chest but did not reply.

 

The days seemed to float by, but I could only focus on my  mission. Everyday when my father left for " work" I would look through the files in his office. They all lead me to dead ends. I stayed up for days at a time but I would not stop. I needed to find my brother's murderer.

 

 

 

 

Friday came quickly and everyone was excited for the party. Throughout the halls chatter filled the air. I was sitting in the cafeteria with Mae and the boys discussing the party as well. "I'll pick you up," Jongup offered " it would be no problem at all."  Mae smiled at him then ruffled his hair. Everyone was figuring out how they would get to the party. I turned to Himchan and said " text me your address and I"ll come pick you up." " Why doesn't Himchan come to our building and we'll all ride with Jongup?" Mae suggested. We nodded agreeing this was a good plan. Himchan turned to Yongguk and asked " how are you getting to the party?" " Hana insisted she come get me" he replied, not seeming interested in the topic at all. I chuckled as Himchan rolled his eyes. Then he rose abruptly and walked out of the cafeteria. Yongguk didn't even notice and continued playing with his food. " well that was awkward" I heard Mae mumble as I exited the cafeteria.

 

I found him resting against the lockers. I slid down next to him waiting for him to speak. "She's taking my best friend away from me." I didn't respond, waiting for him to continue. "He didn't even tell me about his brother." I felt my heart beat increase as i spoke the words. " What brother?" He didn't answer me for a moment then he explained. " Yongguk had a twin brother Yongnam whom he was very close to. Yongnam's body was found a few days ago." I struggled to reply. " That's terrible, how did it happen ?" " They said he was shot. I saw it in the paper yesterday. He didn't even tell me or call me." " Im sure he just wanted to grieve." " Hana knew." " How do you know ?" "She was all over him Wednesday telling him how sorry she was for his loss." Of course that was just like Hana feeding on other people's pain for her own advantage. We sat there quietly not saying a word. The only sounds that could be heard were the echos of the people speaking in the cafeteria. " I wish he was dating you" Himchan stated. My eyes widened with shock. " Don't look so surprised, you're great." I lowered my head unable to keep eye contact any longer.