Chapter 1 I Will Always Remember

You Only Get One Shot

 

 

  I walked into the dark alley way wrinkling my nose, it stank of rotten garbage and animal piss. Of course of all the places to keep the entrance to our hideout my uncle would pick here. I'd been coming to this alley since I was fifteen. My father and uncle had started this empire together. They ran this side of town. My father had met my mother in the market a block away from my apartment. After I was born he let my uncle take charge of their empire. For eight years we were a happy normal family. Loving father, caring mother and happy daughter. It was perfect.

 

One day my uncle called my father in for emergency business. My father wasn't happy, but he kissed me and mother goodbye and headed out. As soon as he had left two men charged into my house. "Min go hide in the closet." I looked up at her with curious eyes. "GO MIN!" I obeyed quickly, not used to my mother raising her voice. Then I heard shouting and strange noises I hadn't heard before. I closed my eyes and stayed hidden in the corner. I don't know how long I was there but when my father came home it was dark outside. He grabbed me and held me close to his chest. I looked up and saw his face covered in tears. "What's wrong daddy?" His eyes met mine,but they were missing their familiar warmth. He didn't answer just held me tighter.

 

After my mother's murder my father had hired not only a nanny but personal body guards. They drove me to and from school everyday and came with me wherever I went. My father barely came home anymore. He came by twice a week  to ask my nanny how I was doing.  He would come up to my room, kiss my forehead then leave.

 

I was fifteen when it happened. I was taken out of class and sent to the office. My body guards were there waiting for me. I had given up trying to get them to speak to me some time ago.  We arrived outside a house I didn't recognize. I stepped out of the car and followed my body guards into the house. A man who looked like my father approached me. "Min, it's been so long, I have not seen you since you were born. I am your uncle Chin Ho." I gave him a small wave but did not reply. My lack of response didn't phase him and he continued speaking. " I'm sorry to tell you this but your father died today." I felt my heart die that day, the only person I had left  was gone. I didn't have time to grieve as he carried on. " I know this must be painful but I have serious business to discuss with you.

 

From that day I was trained to be a member of the Kwon Dragons. I knocked the secret code on the door and walked inside. When I looked around I saw my uncle was purchasing ammo. I walked over to where my cousin Hana was sitting. Hana had hated me ever since her father had taken me under his wing. "Hello Min, always lovely to see you." I put on my best smile and replied " you too Hana, you're looking well." Hana had changed from when we were kids. She used to be sweet and had pretty black hair like mine. People used to think we were twins. When she turned thirteen everything was different. Her father had pulled her from school to train her. She showed up freshman year a whole new person. It turned out she wasn't very gifted.

 

When her father had discovered my talents he ignored Hana for three years. After that my beloved cousin had grown to hate me. She changed her whole appearance to remove any similarities between us. "Here to take up more of my father's time?" she sneered. I rolled my eyes and turned away from her. I was not in the mood for my cousin's attitude today. my uncle came over greeting me with his charming smile. "Hello Min always good to see you." I smiled back then got down to business. " What's going on uncle Chin?" His face fell and was replaced with a cold, stony appearance. "The Bangs have been seen around our territory.  I felt myself stiffen at the mention of that name. The Bangs were responsible for the deaths of my parents. " What should I do?" "I need you to keep an eye on their eldest son, Yongguk." I knew that name he was one of the new students at my school. All the girls had been talking about him. I nodded and said " do I kill him?" My uncle smirked and answered " not yet but soon there will be a fight and you will need to take him out." I nodded again and walked over to grab some ammo. " See you at school cousin" Hana said before I left. I didn't bother to look back.

 

I got to my apartment and let out a scream. All the pain from my parents murder came flooding back. The Bangs would pay for what they had done. I would tear Bang Yongguk apart. That boy wouldn't know what hit him.

 

 

The next I dressed my best. I had to make sure to catch the eye of Bang Yongguk. I gazed at myself in the mirror, it was scary to see my mother's face. I did my hair then put on my clothes.

Since I carried my own weapons I no longer required body guards. I hopped in my car and drove to school. When I arrived I began to look around for Bang Yongguk. I didn't pay attention to where I was going and bumped into  something. I looked down to see a toddler clinging to my leg. He lifted his arms towards me wanting to be held. I smiled, even someone as vengeful as me couldn't resist a child. I picked him up just in time to see a woman run over. "Junhung-ah why would you walk away from mommy?" She finally noticed me and said " thank you miss, I'm sorry he just got away from me." I nodded and tried to hand the boy over to his mother. His tiny arms gripped my neck as he began to whine. His mother laughed and took him off. " He must like you." I felt my cheeks heat up slightly. " I have to go thanks again-" "Min." " Thank you Min." With that she walked over to her car.

 

I checked my phone to see class would begin soon. When I got to class I saw I had  received a text from Hana. It was a picture of Bang Yongguk. So this was the Bang boy. He looked about my age with dark brown eyes and light brown hair. He had a thin nose and dark pink lips. Even I could admit he was handsome. It didn't matter, he was a Bang. They were all cold, heartless monsters. I would seek out revenge for my parents and make him and his family pay.

 

I put my phone away as class began. I pulled out my history book and began to read the assigned chapters. A few minutes passed by when someone knocked on the door. I looked up to see...him. His face matched his picture. He was very muscular, with broad shoulders and strong arms to match.  The teacher introduced him and he waved. She had him sit in the seat behind mine. I felt myself grow angry, so I took deep breaths. While I was calming myself I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see it was him. I almost glared but I pulled my anger in.   That's when I heard a deep voice say " could you tell me the assignment?" I nodded and pointed towards the board. "Thank you." I gave him a flirty smile. " Your quite welcome." He looked down but I saw his cheeks reddening. This would be easy.

 

The bell rang and I headed to my locker where I was greeted by my good friend Mae Long. We had met freshmen year after Hana had left. She spoke to me when no one else would. Mae was the only person who knew of my outside life. She lived with her brother in the same apartment building as me. I thought of her as my sister.

 

She gave me a hug and twirled so I could admire her new look. Mae changed her look every year, not that anyone seemed to mind. She was quite popular among the boys and had a date every two weeks.  "How've you been Min?" "As good as I can be. " "That's not promising, but when is it ever with you." I chuckled at her statement knowing it was true. We were headed towards our classes when a voice called my name. "Min Kwon!" I turned to see a boy I had never met before coming towards me. I raised an eyebrow at him,waiting impatiently for him to speak. " Sorry to bother you, I found your book in the hall."  He turned and stared at Mae who smiled at him in return. "What's your name?" I heard her ask and I rolled my eyes. "Moon Jongup." They began to talk so I headed on to class. When I got there I saw Bang Yongguk once again. I groaned to myself wishing to be anywhere else. He seemed to recognize me and grinned in my direction. To make the day worse Hana walked in. She sat down next to Bang Yongguk at the lab table. I watched as she twirled her hair and batted her eye lashes. Now I didn't care about my cousin's love life but I had to kill this boy and his family. She could not have him. I decided tomorrow I would step up my game. Bang Yongguk would be mine.