Chapter 3

A New Beginning at 26

“You look awful.” Chansung said as he sweeps a hair out of place off your face, tucking it behind your ear as he sits across you in a little table at a coffee shop.  “Have you not slept at all?”

 

“You look like you haven’t slept either.” you said as you warmed your hands by holding on to your coffee cup.

 

“I’m worried about you.” Chansung said with concern.  “Are you really going to be a part of our family officially?”

 

“I’m finding a way not to be without getting disowned.” you said with a crooked smile as you took a sip of your coffee.  “By the way, I got this for you.” you said as you hand him a shopping bag.

 

“What is it?” he said as he peeked at the contents.

 

“It’s just a sweater.  I was going around the mall earlier and I saw it and thought you’d do more justice to it than the mannequin.” you said with a smile.  “That color looks especially good on you.”

 

“Thanks.” he said holding up the dark blue V-neck cashmere sweater to his chest with a grin.  “You always know what I want.  And because you gave me this, I’ll treat you dinner.”

 

“I can’t.  I’m supposed to meet with the family or something like that.” you said irked.

 

“Have you met with grandpa yet?” Chansung asked.

 

“I don’t even know how to face him or what to tell him.” you said with a sigh.  “But I’ll be seeing him later anyway.  I just have to convince him that this isn’t right.”

 

“So it’s safe to assume that you don’t really like Taecyeon at all right?” he said.

 

“How can I like him?  I barely even know him.” you said.  “And when did you stop calling him hyung?”

 

“About the same time you stopped calling him oppa and of course you do.  When we were much younger, I used to be the tag along guy.  If you look up third-wheel in the dictionary, it would have my picture right beside it.  You two have your own little world and I feel like I had to always keep up with you and Taec or I’ll get left out right away.  I was a pretty jealous kid then.” he said leaning over the table with a troubled look on his face.  “And now…”

 

“And now he’s a stranger.  Well, he just cut off all communication when he left a year after.  You know that.  Even when he promised to not forget and keep in touch.  I mean, I understand that he might have been busy, keeping up, fitting in and that’s okay.  I wasn’t expecting that he’d keep his promise till forever or anything…but coming back after all that and then turning my life around like this...that’s just not right.” you said.

 

“But you never really stopped waiting for him, did you?” Chansung muttered.

 

“I did at one point.  It got tiring after a while…waiting for a letter….waiting for a call…waiting for him to come back.” you said making Chansung look at your necklace with a smirk.  “It’s just a necklace.  More like an accessory I got used to keeping.  It doesn’t mean a thing anymore.  I just like…”

 

“I was kidding.” Chansung said as he held your hand flashing a gentle smile.  “So what about marrying me?  I’m in the same family.  He’s my cousin and we share the same grandfather, though I don’t carry the same family name.”

 

“I can’t believe you can still joke about this when here I am about to go crazy.” you said as you narrowed your eyes at Chansung.

 

“Seriously, I wouldn’t mind marrying you.” Chansung said still holding your hand.

 

“Seriously, I wouldn’t ruin your life.” you said patting his hand with yours and pulling it slowly away.  “But thanks for the thought though.”

 

“You won’t ruin it.” he said immediately grabbing on to your hand a little tighter.  “You’ll complete it.”

 

“Highly unlikely.” you said with a snicker.  “But if given the choice, like if there’s no getting out of it and I had to…I’d chose to be married to you than to that guy, Taecyeon.”

 

“Why?” he asked with a grin.

 

“Because I know you better.” you said.

 

“That’s all?” he asked looking a bit disappointed.

 

“And because I know you care about me more.” you said.

 

“True.” he said nodding.

 

“And I’m a lot comfortable with you.” you said.

 

“And?” he asked again.

 

“And because Taecyeon said he already has someone else he loves.” you said.

 

“Wrong answer.” Chansung said shaking his head.  “It should’ve been because no one in this world can love you more than I do.”

 

“Well, I love you too.  You’re my best friend after all.” you said giggling.

 

“No, like I love you - I love you.” Chansung said as he took a sip of his cappuccino leaving a little trail of foam on his upper lip.

 

“Yeah, I know.  I love you too.  You’re literally like a big brother to me or sometimes a much, much younger brother.” you said smiling as you wiped his lips with the brown napkin.

 

“If you get married, who'll take care of me?  So, how do you want to do this?  Shall we obtain permission or shall we just elope?” he asked excitedly with a gleam in his eyes.

 

“You always make everything in to a joke.” you said.

 

“I’m serious.” he said with a straight face.  “Let’s just get married with or without their permission.”

 

“I don’t think it works that way.  I’ll only be involving you in all this mess.  You might just get disowned by your family the same time as me.” you said.

 

“I don’t really care about that.” he said determined.  “I just don’t want to see you unhappy.”

 

“And I don’t want to see you unhappy either.  You’re really important to me.” you said.  “Anyway, I think I can still wriggle my way out of this.”

 

For a good short while you stared at each other with worried faces trying to stay positive and faking a smile.  You knew there was a slight dim chance that you could get out of this situation.  And Chansung also knew that he might be losing his chance for love.  All thoughts of what would be came across your minds.  The moment breaks with your phone ringing and you were brought back to the reality of having to deal with the problem at hand.

 

“I’m on my way to the hospital to meet grandpa.  Where should I pick you up?” Taecyeon asked over the phone.

 

“I’ll be going on my own.  I’m already nearby anyway.” you said.

 

“Good.  I’ll just see you there.” he said as he hangs up the phone.

 

“Taecyeon?” Chansung asked.

 

“Uhm.” you nodded.  “Do you mind giving me a ride to the hospital?”