Chapter 19

A New Beginning at 26

Finally getting settled in your white low-cut haltered top and sea-blue shaded pencil cut skirt that stops right at the knees paired with your paisley stilettos, you stood in front of the mirror staring at yourself frantically as you put on the necklace around your neck.  You’ve had multiple options, but somehow the one Taecyeon gave you is still the best choice as it always have been for years now. 

 

The night before as you stirred in your sleep, he kept awake watching your face in the light filtering in from the window.  He was in a state of disbelief having you by his side that night and knowing he’ll wake up to you in the morning and every morning after that.  He stared at you for hours, memorizing every little detail of your face, like it would be the last time he sees you, like it would be the last night he could hold you.  Taecyeon’s hand reached out to gently run his fingers through your hair.  Tracing the line of your cheekbones, your brows, your nose and down to your supple lips. 

 

It still surprises him how much you have changed in all those years that you’ve been apart.  And then you rolled in his direction and burrowed into his side with your eyes still shut, draped your arms over his stomach and nuzzled your nose affectionately against him just the way you used to when you were kids.  It made him smile to think that maybe you have not changed as much as he thought you have.  He wondered if it was possible to hear a smile, because he could swear he heard you smile as you felt him his hand up and down your back, encountering your soft skin until it came to rest in the dip of your spine.

 

Taecyeon laughed.  “You’re still my same Snuggles.”  He murmured with his thick voice, encircling you tightly between his strong arms while he kissed the top of your head.

 

Your eyes fluttered open, confused as to why you were being rudely awakened from your peaceful slumber just to find Taecyeon with a warm smile on.  You knew something was up because of that smile and that big bright shiny eyes that made him look like a little child on Christmas morning.  He’s trying not to grin that his smile comes to a thin line that stretches from ear to ear.  That smile and those eyes you thought had no business being in the face of a man his age.

 

“What?”  You finally asked him with that familiar scowl as you gave your best efforts to fight a smile from breaking out from your face.

 

He brushed his fingers softly along your cheek thinking how beautiful you looked even with that glower on you face and your hair messed up.  “I love you.”  He whispered.  A slight curve crossed your lips as your eyelids began to close again.  “Seriously?  You’re going to sleep again?”  He said wide eyed as he looked at you dubiously with his body partly overlapping yours.

 

“Taec, it’s still dark out and I’m sleepy and I…quite honestly, I still can’t quite feel my lower half.”  You whined as you made a sleepy groan.  You shoved at his shoulder forcing him off of you.

 

You closed your eyes again as he rolled over and stared at the ceiling.  “I can’t sleep.”  He took a deep breath and then another and then another that you had no choice but to open your eyes to look at him.

 

You eyed him wondering what might be wrong, feeling quite bad that you dismissed him so thoughtlessly.  “What’s on your mind?”

 

“I’m .”

 

“Huh?”  It sounded so ridiculous that you just had to make sure he said what he said.

 

“I’m all just by looking at you.”  He said not minding to search his extensive vocabulary for an appropriate descriptor to describe the predicament he was in at the moment.”  I’m not usually like this, so I don’t know what’s actually happening to me.”

 

You both lay flat on your backs in bed staring at the ceiling silently unable to voice out a response to his dilemma.

 

“Well…”  You said.  “That’s…” Your voice trailed off unsure of what exactly to say.  And then you started to giggle that set off Taecyeon’s infectious laugh and soon enough you were both laughing so hard that tears began to roll down your faces.

 

“I’m glad I married someone who can make me laugh.”  You said affectionately.

 

“I’m just glad I married you.  You know…”  Taecyeon said as soon as he stopped laughing.  “I believe we never had our first date.”

 

“What do you want to do about it?”

 

“I was thinking, tomorrow at seven at one of those nice hotels that I’d be calling and letting you know about.”  Taecyeon propped himself up on his elbow to get a better look at your face.  “So, what do you say?  Pick you up here at 6, 6:30?  Or maybe at your office after work?”

 

“Let’s meet at the hotel, like a real first date where you wait for me till about 7:15, me being fashionably yet still reasonably late and all dolled up while you wait in anticipation on how I’d look.”  You reached up to let your fingers drift over his cheek and jaw down to his throat, brushing against the sensitive skin on his neck.

 

“We can do that.”  Taecyeon rolled so he was on top of you again.  “But for now…”  He ground against you hard enough to make your eyes fall shut as your thighs spread apart without your volition.  “Do you mind if we do something else?”

 

You continued to apply the lip gloss on your lips while you stared fretfully into the mirror, making sure you look just fine for your first date.  You were about to leave the house when your phone suddenly buzzed.

 

“I’m sick.”  You heard Chansung’s hoarse voice over the line.  “Come over…please.”

 

“Chansung?”  You called his name, but the line was already cut.

 

You tried to redial his number, but that annoying woman’s voice keeps on getting played over and over letting you know that the line is unavailable.  So you ran out of the house as fast as you could and drove to Chansung’s.  A few minutes later from driving insanely fast, you walked to his front door, knocked and waited, but nobody came to answer so you opened the door on your own to let yourself in.

 

“Chansung?”  You called hoping to get a response this time as you took hurried steps into his house.

 

“In here.”  Chansung called out with a cough.  His voice sounded so tired and soft, so much different than his usual.

 

You went into his room to find him in bed, pale with tired eyes, panting and sweating profusely yet covered with heavy blankets from having the chills.  “Are you alright?”  You reached your hand to his forehead and cheek to feel him burning.  “We need to get you to the hospital.”  You said with concern filling your every bone.

 

“I need you here.”  He said bitterly, grabbing your arm, looking weak and pitiful.

 

“You need a doctor.”

 

“I just need you.”  He looks to you with sad puppy eyes.

 

You looked straight into those eyes and sighed in defeat.  You have to admit, you never can stand against those sad eyes.  “Fine.  Let me get you some meds and water.”

 

“I don’t want it.”  He said coldly as you were about to leave.  He grabbed your arm tighter not letting you go away an inch.  He pulls you closer making you sit right next to him at the edge of the bed.  “Don’t go.”  Chansung said forcing to keep his eyes open.

 

“Chansung –“

 

“Alright.”  He sighed as he slowly lets your arm go.  “Hurry?”

 

“Uhm.”  You nodded with your worry and concern rising higher every second for his health.