Chapter 20

A New Beginning at 26

Taecyeon almost came running to his car, frustration building up inside of him as he ground his jaw to the side.  If he grinds his jaw any further, it was certain that he was going to break a tooth.  He inserted the key in the starter, but didn’t turn it right away.  Gripping the steering wheel, his fingers began to turn white as he sat there feeling slightly uncomfortable that his wife is at the house of the man who who’s trying to steal her away from him.  He took out his anger on the steering wheel, hitting it hard.  But he knows he couldn’t go on like this.  He needs to get to you and he must do it fast.  So, he took one deep breath after another, reigning in the vexation that was brewing in him.  Helpless as he may be at the moment, he trusts that you’ll be faithful to him.  Taecyeon understands that with love came trust and he loves you, so it is only but fair that he trusts that you are making the right decisions.  He was giving you the benefit of the doubt.  But it didn’t mean he was comfortable with it.  So he twisted the key, grinding the engine and pulled out into the road recklessly, earning him a blaring of horns and screeching tires from the cars he cut off.

 

He couldn’t help but remember your earlier conversation on the phone as he waited for you looking dapper in a suit at the hotel restaurant.  Time went by unnoticed as you were taking care of the sick Chansung, who was looking paler and paler every minute, his fever not breaking despite the medicines he took and every time you tried to feed him, he would throw up.  You were already about more than an hour late in letting Taecyeon know you weren’t going to show up.

 

“Love, this isn’t fashionably late anymore.”  Taecyeon said in jest as he answered your call.  “This is just late.”

 

“Sorry Taec.”  Your voice shook.  “I got caught in a bind.”

 

“Where are you?  Are you alright?”  Taecyeon asked.  His voice was filled with concern as he heard the seriousness in your tone.

 

“Chansung’s –“

 

“Wait.  What?  Did you just say Chansung?  Cause you might have said Chansung or I could have just misheard it.”

 

“Yes Taec.  Chansung.  Chansung’s really, really sick and I think he’s getting worse every minute.  He’s refusing to go see a doctor and he’s just too big for me to carry off to the car to drive him to the hospital.  Taec, I’m sorry…but please help.”

 

He hissed in a breath across closed teeth as his brows furrowed into a V.  “Wait for me there.”

 

“Thanks Taec.  Really.”  A heavy sigh left you as you felt somewhat relieved.

 

“Keep him hydrated, okay?”  Taecyeon said raising his hand to call the attention of the waiter.  “And don’t worry love, everything’s going to be fine.  You’re just going to owe me big for this.”

 

He swerved in and out of lanes.  His speed undeterred by traffic lights.  It is true that he trusts you, but it was Chansung’s motives that he is doubtful about.  You rang him again and he picks up as he changed gears.

 

“What is it?  I’m on my way.”  Taecyeon said in a rush.

 

“Well, my sweet Taec, I forgot to tell you earlier…that…I love you.  So…no need to worry too much about me being here with Chansung.  Okay?”

 

He smiled broadly, somewhat feeling relieved to have gotten back the confidence that he for a moment lost.  “Got it.”  Taecyeon took a deep breath as he hung up the phone.  He forced his fingers to relax around the steering wheel and laid off the accelerator enough so that he was merely travelling at a stupidly fast rate instead of death-defying.

 

Chansung’s eyes fluttered open just as you hung your phone up.  He has that dead look in his eyes, but managed to still give a smile as he stared at you from across his room.  “You didn’t have to get all dressed up for me, you know.”  His tongue darted to moisten his lips as he scratched his chest.

 

“I didn’t.”  You stuck your tongue out at Chansung.  “I was supposed to be on a date with my husband.”  You folded your arms over your chest.

 

“Sorry.”  Chansung said with a frown, lying back down to look at the ceiling, holding his head with both hands.  “You can go now.  I’m feeling much better anyway.”

 

“Feeling better?  Seriously?”  You said as you walked slowly towards the bed while you raised a mocking eyebrow at him.  “You look like hell…even worse.”

 

“But you have a date.”  Chansung looked at you at the corner of his eye.

 

“Which I already missed.”  You sat down on the bed as you held his forehead to check if he was still burning hot.  “What have you been up to anyway that you got this sick?”  Your eyebrows came together in a scowl.

 

Chansung placed his head on your lap and then your hand back on his head.  “I was plotting ways on how to kidnap you.”  He extended his hand to touch your chin as he looked up at you.

 

 “I see you’ve been busy.”

 

“Uhm.”  Chansung nodded his head as you dissolved into giggles.  “Won’t Taec get mad that you’re here?”  He closed his eyes as you continued to massage his head

 

The corner of your mouth turned up into a smirk.  “Don’t worry he’s on his way here.”

 

“What?”  He opened his eyes wide as he attempted to sit up, only to get a head rush from the sudden movement and shock.  “Why?”

 

“So we could get you to the hospital.”  You yanked him back to your lap with a laugh as you see the anger or was it fear illuminating his face.

 

“You do know we hate each other, right?”

 

“I’m not so sure about that.”  You shook your head with a smile.

 

“And you know I don’t like seeing the doctor, right?”

 

“Same reason why I asked Taec to come … to force you into going.”

 

“Kill me!  Just kill me!”  Chansung covered his eyes with his hands as he whined like a two-year-old child.

 

“You’re always the drama queen.”  You snorted.  “You know, I think your hyung cares a lot about you more than you think.  For one, he hasn’t beaten you up after knowing what you did to him and me.”