Chapter 9

Change of Program

Minho and Taemin were eating at their usual ramyun place by the college campus one Saturday afternoon when a rather suspicious (yet admittedly rather handsome) fellow came up to their table.

“Oh?  Taemin?”

Taemin turned to face the stranger and broke out into a bright smile.  “Jongin!”

Taemin got up from the table and gave this Jongin a warm hug.  Minho let out a small cough, signaling to the two that, yes, he was still there.

“Is this your boyfriend, Taemin?” Jongin gave Minho a look up-and-down and Minho felt a chill go up his spine.

“Yes, he is,” Taemin gently punched Jongin in the side.  “Now stop leering at him.”

Jongin took a seat at their table and introduced himself to Minho.  He was a childhood friend of Taemin’s childhood friend, currently in his last year of high school (to Minho’s surprise), and was scouting the campus area out of curiosity.  Minho grew to quickly like Jongin, as the other boy began to bring up some embarrassing childhood memories, all regarding Taemin.

“Of course I’m gonna tell him silly stories about you!  He’s your first boyfriend after all!”

Minho looked to Taemin then, who was turning a light shade of red.  He couldn’t help the giddy smile that was starting to form on his face as he watched Taemin throw a napkin at Jongin’s head.

On the walk back to campus, Minho playfully bumped his shoulder against Taemin to get his attention.

“So…there aren’t any ex-boyfriends I need to be concerned about?”

“No,” Taemin tightened his hold on Minho’s hand a little.  “And even if there were, you wouldn’t have to worry.”

“Why’s that?” Minho stopped walking and had Taemin turn to face him.

Taemin pursed his lips together before looking Minho in the eyes, “Because I only see you.”

He wasn’t sure where in the road they were standing in, but Minho didn’t care as he kissed Taemin right then and there, not paying any mind to whoever could possibly be watching them.

-----

Minho and some other students in the theatre department were currently working on a campus haunted house for the autumn festival.  He invited Taemin to come inspect the progress that he and his classmates accomplished thus far, and was relieved to see that it had his boyfriend’s approval.

“Since I’m dating a staff member, I don’t have to pay an entrance fee, right?”  Taemin locked his arms around Minho’s stomach and nuzzled his nose in the crook of Minho’s shoulder.  Minho laughed softly and looked around him quickly before giving Taemin a light peck on the lips.

“You get a special discount.”

-----

Minho was able to snag a couple of tickets for the haunted house, which he was planning to give to Myungsoo and Kibum and whosoever they chose as their plus one.

“Oh, I already have one,” Kibum waved his hand.  “Your friend, Jonghyun or something, nearly shoved one in my face earlier.”

Minho almost choked on his spit.  Since when did Jonghyun start apparently having the hots for Kibum and why did he not know about this?

“Er, creepy, but okay.  Do you want the rest, Myungsoo?”

Myungsoo shook his head.  “Sorry, hyung.  Not really my thing,” and handed Minho back the tickets.

Well then.  Now Minho was stuck with four extra tickets.  Suddenly struck with an idea, he took out his phone and texted Taemin.

-----

Jongin and his friends, two of which Minho vaguely knew through Jonghyun (affectionately termed ‘The Breakfast Couple’ by the music department), appeared to be really grateful to Minho for giving them tickets to the haunted house.

“Oh man, I’ll be sure to dig up some old photos of Taemin later and send them to you, okay?” Jongin half-hugged Minho and scurried into the haunted house with the rest of his group.  Minho smiled at the mental image of a mini Taemin dancing around. 

“Enjoy the haunted house, you guys!”

Minho was stuck doing ticket duty for the early part of the night, but that was okay because Taemin was there beside him to greet people and usher them into the house.  The screams let out by Jongin and his friends earlier ended up luring quite a number of people to the attraction.

“Oh!  Myungsoo’s hyung!”

Minho looked up to see Sungyeol, which wasn’t surprising since Minho nearly saw the other boy on a daily basis.  What was surprising, however, was that he was standing hand-in-hand with Sungjong in line.  Minho glanced over at Taemin, who looked equally surprised at seeing the two together, let alone holding hands.

“Err, are we allowed to go in or…?”

Minho didn’t realize he had been staring and apologized to the two, taking their tickets and letting them in.  There weren’t too many people in line after Sungyeol and Sungjong so Minho asked Suho, a fellow student from the theatre department, to take over the rest of Minho’s shift while he and Taemin trailed in after the two.

“Are they dating?  Did you know?  I thought Sungjong liked Myungsoo?”

“No?  I don’t know!  Sungjong doesn’t tell me anything.”

They whispered to each other in hushed voices, quietly sneaking behind props in order to observe the two.  It was then at a particular hallway intersection that they saw Sungyeol leaning down to Sungjong and…were they kissing?  In the middle of a haunted house?

Minho was about to call out to them when an iconic shriek sounded behind them.  Ah, Kibum.  His timing was impeccable as always.  Minho turned around and found that Sungyeol and Sungjong were gone, so he and Taemin slipped behind a fake coffin and exited the haunted house.  Taemin was a little more than frenzied at the thought that his brother was possibly keeping a relationship secret from him.

“I am going to find him and I am going to make him tell me everything!” Taemin pointed his stick of cotton candy accusingly at the sky, which Minho couldn’t help but find the action adorable.

“Taemin, maybe we should leave them be?  As much as I wanna tell Myungsoo, I don’t think I should,” Minho reached to for a piece of cotton candy but Taemin swatted his hand away.

“Oh no, you’re right.  You shouldn’t,” Taemin broke off a small portion of cotton candy and put it in his mouth.   

“I’ll tell him.” 

And Minho had to restrain Taemin back before the other boy stomped over to wherever Myungsoo was hiding out at.

-----

Instead of sniffing out Myungsoo from his hiding place, Taemin decided to enlist the help of Jongin and his friends to be royal ers for the rest of the night.  Though honestly speaking, neither of the to-be-ed pair seemed to mind the intrusion, and soon a cheery band of kids started chattering about how fun the festival was so far.  Minho tried calling Myungsoo to ask where he was, but the other boy wasn’t picking up his phone.

-----

Minho will never understand how Kibum found out (how Kibum finds anything out, really), but he was grateful that the other boy didn’t flip out over the news as much as Taemin did.

“You told Myungsoo about this, right?”

“Um.  No, I didn’t?” 

Kibum gave Minho a hard look and placed a hand on his hip.  “Well that explains why he’s sulking in his room right now then.”

“Huh?”

“He must have seen them last night or something.”  Kibum started toying with a small stuffed bear on Minho’s desk, which was given to him by Taemin who won it from a booth at the festival.  Kibum got up and threw the  small stuffed bear in Minho’s face, effectively ending Minho’s flashback.

“Yah, go talk to your brother.  He’s holding my bamboo pillow hostage.”