Chapter 8

Change of Program

People were staring at Myungsoo the next day more than he would have liked.  Sungyeol was surprisingly absent from class and Myungsoo didn’t see him anywhere else on campus, but perhaps that was somehow a blessing in disguise.  He wasn’t sure how Sungyeol would react if he learned that Myungsoo’s injuries were inflicted by Sungjong, or how Myungsoo got them in the first place.

The pictures he had taken had turned out well.  Quite well, actually.  He had thought Sungjong would be ecstatic and glad after seeing how they developed, but the dancing twin only seemed to frown more as he looked through each picture.  He handed them back to Myungsoo without saying so much as a word until they were walking down the hallway when a mumbled “thief” broke the quiet air around them.

Myungsoo had stopped in his steps and turned to Sungjong, unsure if the other had said that or not.  Sungjong was looking away from Myungsoo, but his face appeared to be rather displeased.

“What?” Myungsoo questioned.

Sungjong bitterly smiled and shook his head, moving to continue walking down the hall until Myungsoo grabbed his hand.  Sungjong seemed to tense up at the contact but kept looking forward, making it so that Myungsoo was unable to see his face.

“Did I…,” Myungsoo started.  “Did I take something from you?”

Myungsoo really didn’t see that punch coming as he fell to the ground with a harsh thud.  After he recollected himself from the initial shock, he had looked up to find that Sungjong was already gone.  Myungsoo didn’t feel so bad when he kicked at some flowers on the way home.

-----

Myungsoo wasn’t expecting to find Taemin sitting on the couch when he entered the house, but perhaps he should have, seeing that the other was his hyung’s boyfriend.

“He didn’t mean it,” Taemin said as Myungsoo was making his way to the stairs.

Myungsoo stopped in his steps and looked at Taemin for a moment.  “Huh?”

Taemin stood up from his seat on the couch and walked over to Myungsoo, fiddling with a bracelet on his wrist as he did so.  Myungsoo wondered absently if his hyung got that for him or something.

“Sungjong didn’t...  He didn’t mean to, um, punch you.”

Myungsoo’s thoughts were brought back a few days prior when Taemin had shown up one night to their house with a stuff animal in his arms.  Taemin had shared the interesting information that was Sungjong’s recent nightly ritual, which consisted of beating on the poor bear in frustration.  Myungsoo didn’t really understand then why Taemin was telling him any of that, but now it was starting to dawn on him why.

“I’m the bear?” Myungsoo asked.

Taemin looked surprised for a moment before smiling sadly and nodding.  Myungsoo sighed and leaned against the wall.

“So he hates me then?”

Taemin waved his hands frantically and tried to reassure Myungsoo with a shaky “no, well, not exactly”.  It was then that Myungsoo realized that his hyung was nowhere in sight.  He was sure that he had seen his shoes by the door though.

“Where’s hyung?” Myungsoo asked and Taemin started to become slightly red in the face.

“He’s, uh, taking care of...something,” Taemin couldn’t look Myungsoo in the eyes when he spoke.

It took a while for Myungsoo to realize what that meant, and when he did, he walked back to the front door and put on his shoes.

“I’ll come back later then.”

-----

Myungsoo would never admit how much he missed hearing Sungyeol’s laugh as the other took one look at Myungsoo’s face (which was admittedly not as bad as before but still noticeable) and broke out into uncontrollable laughter.  As Sungyeol was trying to hold his stomach, Myungsoo saw that Sungyeol’s right wrist had been wrapped in bandages.

“Oh.  What happened there?”  Myungsoo asked after Sungyeol had gathered himself.

“Ah, it’s just a sprain,” Sungyeol replied as he kicked away a rock on the pavement.

“From doing what?” Myungsoo sneered and Sungyeol shoved him with his other hand.

“Aish!  I fell while dancing, you lech.”

“Dancing?”  Myungsoo rubbed at his arm.  “When did you start doing that?”

“Oh, Sungjong’s been teaching me.”

Myungsoo faltered in his steps a bit but Sungyeol didn’t seem to notice.  Yet again did Sungyeol fail to mention to Myungsoo that he was spending some time with a certain dancing twin.  Myungsoo felt a little upset at the secrecy, but he knew it wasn’t intentional by either party.    

“What about you though?” Sungyeol changed the topic.  “I didn’t hear anything in the news about you becoming a criminal overnight, so what’s with the battered face?”

Myungsoo his lips and winced slightly when he felt where his lip was still slightly cracked.

“Uh…  Apparently I stole something.  I think.”

“What?!  So you are a criminal then!” Sungyeol pointed a finger at him and took a few steps back from Myungso, the latter lightly punching the former in the shoulder.

-----

His hyung was seriously going to have to start letting him know when he was allowed in the house, because Myungsoo really could have gone without ever knowing what Minho looked like half-.  But at least Taemin still had his shirt on.  The door then opened behind Myungsoo, and all three thought that it was a good thing that Kibum hadn’t come a moment earlier when Minho was in a state of slight undress.

“Oh, the usual gang is all here,” Kibum happily commented and Myungsoo turned around to find Sungjong and Sungyeol standing beside him.

Sungjong had looked away as soon as Myungsoo tried having eye contact with him, which kind of irked him, to be honest.  His eye and lip were fairly all healed by now, but not once did Sungjong offer an explanation as to why he punched Myungsoo in the first place.  Myungsoo readjusted his bag strap and started walking up the stairs to his room, vaguely hearing Sungyeol call out after him.

-----

Myungsoo was glad that Sungyeol was there in his room to keep him from brooding about a certain dancing twin.  That is, until the other boy had started talking about said dancing twin avidly.

“He’s a really good dancer too!  Like, really good!”

Myungsoo merely hummed in response.  He watched as Sungyeol got a sudden silly look on his face.  Myungsoo couldn’t phantom why this conversation was making him feel kind of uneasy.  Perhaps it was because the subject of their chat was currently downstairs in the same house.

A sudden knock on Myungsoo’s door jolted him from his thoughts and he opened the door only to come face-to-face with one Lee Sungjong.

“Sungyeol-hyung,” Sungjong cleared his throat before continuing.  “Would you mind if I talk to Myungsoo-hyung about something really quick?”

Sungyeol had nearly jumped off Myungsoo’s bed when he heard Sungjong say his name but an unreadable expression replaced his enthusiasm after he heard Sungjong’s request.  Nevertheless he gave the two a smile and exited the room, closing the door behind him.  Sungjong sat down where Sungyeol had been sitting and Myungsoo sat down next to him.

“How’s your…face?” Sungjong glanced briefly at Myungsoo before looking down at the floor.

Myungsoo let out a small laugh.  “Better.”

Sungjong let out a relieved sigh when he realized that Myungsoo wasn’t as angry at him as he thought he’d be.  Myungsoo watched as Sungjong relaxed his shoulders a bit and how a calm, but sad, light came to his eyes.  Myungsoo placed a hand on Sungjong’s head, who tensed up again slightly.

“Why did you punch me though?”

“I just…felt like it.”

Myungsoo dropped his hand from where it was starting to lightly ruffle Sungjong’s hair. 

What?”

Sungjong shifted in position to face Myungsoo as he bowed his head down and apologized.  Myungsoo, however, decided to grab Sungjong’s cheeks and pinch them at that moment.  Just because he felt like it.

“Hyung~” Sungjong whined.  “Stop~”

“Only if you tell me what it was that I stole,” Myungsoo replied.

Sungjong seemed to still just then, and it was only when he stopped squirming around that Myungsoo realized that they had moved in a position much like the one from the movie incident a while back.

“Tell me what I stole,” Myungsoo continued, “so I can return it.”

“You can’t return it.”

“Why not?”

“Because you can’t even see it.”