Drop the Formalities

Please Save Me From This Chaos

I quickly packed all of my things as I waited for Hongbin to arrive. I wondered if he’d remember my address. I wondered if Hakyeon was going to say anything. Would he make a scene or just let me go? I couldn’t believe I was actually doing this, and so impulsively at that. I always thought things all the way through and then some before acting.

I heard the doorbell ring and I sprinted out of my room so I could answer it before Hakyeon could get the chance. Hongbin stood there, smiling brightly. I felt a sense of familiarity in his smile.

“So where’s your stuff?”

I tried to fight the urge I had to hug him. I opened my mouth to speak but just grabbed his wrist and guided him to my room. Hakyeon had peaked out of his room to see who was at the door. I didn’t see his expression, but from what I could see from the corner of my eye his body language showed that he was not pleased.

“I pretty much have everything in boxes already. There are just a few small things around the apartment that I have to throw in.” I said, closing up a few boxes for us to take out to the car.

Hongbin nodded. “So can I ask now or later what is going on? I don’t want to press but the atmosphere here is really tense.”

I looked up at Hongbin and forced a smile. “It’s best we talk about it later at your place.”

“I’ll take these boxes out then. You finish packing up your things okay?”

I didn’t hold myself back this time. I hugged Hongbin with all my might. “Thank you. Really, thank you so much.”

Hongbin rubbed my back and returned my embrace. “Anytime, Inhye-ssi.”

He patted my head before walking over and picking up a few boxes. I opened the doors for him and helped him into the elevator. I walked back into the apartment and glanced around. There really wasn’t much that I would want to take from the other rooms. In the living room there were a few pictures of Hakyeon and me from when we were growing up – elementary school graduation, high school graduation, and birthday parties – but I’d rather not take them along. There really wasn’t anything I needed from the kitchen either. With a sigh, I headed back for my room. Hakyeon was there waiting for me.

“You’re seriously leaving.” It wasn’t a question. “We’ve been able to work through so many hardships. Why now?” He looked up at me, eyes swelling as he tried to hold back tears.

“Hakyeon, I’m sorry.” I couldn’t say anything else. There was so much I wanted to say but none of the words wanted to come out. I couldn’t even look at him.

“Just try this out for the night, hm? Don’t leave, Inhye.” Hakyeon had walked over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders.

I shrugged them away. “Hongbin-ssi is probably waiting for these boxes.”

Hakyeon stepped away, accepting defeat. Both of us were probably wondering “Is this really how our friendship is going to end?” He glanced at me one last time before walking out of my room and returning to his. I bit my lip as my own tears began to pool up. I shook my head and rubbed my eyes shaking myself of these emotions. I’d never get out of here if I started to break down now.

I picked up two boxes and headed for the door. The one was kind of heavy but I figured I could handle it. I managed to make it out of my room at least before I set the boxes down to take a short break. Hongbin had just walked back into the apartment then, seeing as we had left the door open. He saw me attempting to lift the boxes again and chuckled. He replaced my hold on the boxes with his and easily lifted them.

“Are these the last ones?” He asked with a teasing smirk.

“I have a few more.” I glared at him before scoffing. “Should I even bother since you’re SO strong?”

“I don’t know, weakling. I guess you’ll have to carry what you can and I’ll pick up your slack.” He laughed. His laugh made me smile. It was so musical sounding and uplifting. “Don’t push yourself, okay? We’ll make as many trips as we need to get all of your stuff in the car.”

I nodded and sighed. He waited for me to grab a box or two to take down to his car and we headed to the elevator. I stared at the boxes in my hands as the elevator went down. Hongbin watched the floor numbers light up as we passed each floor. The silence between us was more comforting than awkward. I looked up at Hongbin for a swift second. The elevator stopped and the doors opened.

Hongbin looked at me and smiled, catching my glance. “Are you going to stay in the elevator?”

I felt my cheeks heat up and I shook my head before scurrying out of the elevator. Hongbin had managed to park right in front of the apartment building. Usually parking was scarce around here. I set the boxes I was carrying down next to the car.

“I’ll go get the last box. Just stay down here.”

Hongbin nodded. “Are you going to say goodbye to Hakyeon-ssi too?”

I sighed. “I haven’t decided yet.”

“You should tell him goodbye. You’ll regret it later. And besides, you two are still going to be friends, right? It’s not goodbye forever.”

When I walked back into the apartment, Hakyeon and Mihyun were sitting on the couch talking. I ignored them as I walked back into my room to grab the last box. As I was about to walk out of my room for the last time, I thought about what Hongbin had said. I should say goodbye to Hakyeon. I stepped into the living room and set the box down on the floor. Hakyeon and Mihyun looked at me, slightly confused.

“I’ll call you at the end of the week.” I told Hakyeon. “This was bound to happen eventually so best prepare for it now.”

He got off of the couch and walked over to me. “Your room is going to be left empty if you want to come back.”

“I’m not coming back, Hakyeon. You’re trying to start a new life now with Mihyun. I need to start a new life too.” I hugged him tightly. “I love you, Cha Hakyeon.” My tears that I had been holding back finally were allowed to fall.

Hakyeon began to cry as well. “I love you too, Kim Inhye.”

Those words were what I’ve been wanting to hear for the longest time. We had never said anything of that sort before to each other. A part of me wanted to look over at Mihyun because I knew she would have an annoyed look on her face, but I didn’t want to ruin the moment. I waited until I could feel Hakyeon pull away before I let him go.

“I’ll see ya.” I waved before picking up my box and rushing out the door.

Hongbin greeted me with a smile and rubbed a stray tear away from my eye. “Is everything going to be okay between you two?” I nodded. He took the box away from me and placed it in the back seat before holding the passenger door open for me. He closed it behind me and went over to get in on the driver’s side.

The drive back to Hongbin’s apartment was okay. Mainly he talked just to avoid silence in the car. He filled me in on what was going on in his life. He was currently part of an internship program to take pictures for a nature magazine. It was good to hear that things were going well for him. All I could do was smile and nod in response to what he was saying. I felt kind of bad about it, but it seemed that Hongbin knew I was truly happy for him.

                “Make yourself at home.” He smiled as he opened the door to his apartment.

I looked around the apartment. Not much had changed since the last time I had probably been here, however one thing did catch my eye. A picture frame sat on the coffee table in the living room area. I walked over and picked it up so I could look at it. The picture was of Hongbin and me while we were studying at a park last fall. I had totally forgotten Hongbin had event taken this picture.

“You like it?” He asked walking up behind me. “After you called I decided it would make you feel a little more at home.”

I turned around and hugged him. “Thank you. It’s really sweet of you.”

Hongbin smoothed my hair and stepped away. “Have you eaten? I’m starving. We can go grab something to eat and then start unpacking your things.”

                I nodded. “Sounds good.”

We walked down the street to a small restaurant that Hongbin must have frequented because the ahjumma greeted him by name.

“Oh Hongbinnie! It’s so nice to see you again. I was starting to worry about you since it has been a while. Who is this beautiful young lady? Is this your girlfriend?”

I blushed and looked down at my feet while Hongbin chuckled and corrected her. “Aniyo ahjumma. This is my friend from college, Kim Inhye.”

“I see. It’s a pleasure to meet you, dear. Please have a seat you two.”

Hongbin walked over to a table by the window. I assumed this was his usual seat. I sat down across from him and followed his gaze to look out the window. There were really no obstructions to block one’s view of the busy street from this table. I could see why Hongbin would choose this seat, especially if he had his camera with him.

The ahjumma brought us over some rice and placed a plate of meat between us. “Eat up you two. You look hungry.”

“Thank you.” We both said before picking up our chopsticks and digging in.

I looked at Hongbin a few times while eating and noticed that his expressions were kind of pained. It was like he had something that was really bothering him on his mind. I began to feel guilty about asking Hongbin to let me stay with him. I shouldn’t have troubled him.

                “Hongbin-ssi?” I asked for his attention. “I’m sorry for troubling you.”

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. “Why do you think you’re troubling me? It’s really no trouble at all.”

“It’s just we haven’t talked for a while and here I have the audacity to call you out of the blue asking for such a huge favor. You really didn’t have to say yes.”

“But I wanted to Inhye-ssi. I thought we were friends?”

I was kind of taken aback by the word friends. I always had thought of us as good acquaintances. I had wished we could call each other friend but I never knew that Hongbin actually did consider us to be friends. I then felt embarrassed.

                “Thank you so much, Hongbin-ssi, but if we’re friends then shouldn’t we drop our formality?”

                Hongbin smiled brightly at me. “So like I call you noona instead of Inhye-ssi?”

“Yes I guess that’s what I mean, if that’s how you want to address me.” I tried to hide the blush on my cheeks that had rece again. Hearing him call me noona sent shivers down my spine.

“Okay then! We will drop the formalities from now on…Noona.” Hongbin winked at me as he said noona this time and began to chuckle.

I felt my heart trying to pound out of my chest. What was the matter with me now?

 

A/N: I'm sorry it has taken me so long to update. I have just been really busy with school and work that I have not really had much of a creative flow at all. I'm hoping to be able to update more often soon. Thank you for being so patient!