I'm Moving Out

Please Save Me From This Chaos

Hakyeon is everything for me. He is there when I am feeling down or sick. He celebrates birthdays and other cheerful life events that deserve recognition with me. He’s my therapist and guidance counselor when need be. I could never ask for a better person to call my best friend, but that’s all he’ll ever be. My feelings for the man who is my best and oldest friend will have to follow me to the grave, for he has no idea that I’m in love with him – Cha Hakyeon.

We first met when we were seven. I was playing alone at school when a group of older boys came over and started to pick on me. They pulled away my toys, pushed me, and called me names. For the first time, Hakyeon came to my rescue. He was able to scare the boys away by threatening to tell the teacher. He held out his hand and helped me to my feet, smiling brightly at me. I’d never forget that moment.

There were plenty of other times when Hakyeon had come to my rescue. There was the time I’d tried to run away after finding out my parents were separating. He came to the bus stop and talked me into going back home. There was also the time when I caught my boyfriend cheating on me at a school dance. Hakyeon took me home early and provided me with movies and ice cream to ease my broken heart. We have been through so much together.

Now as adults, Hakyeon and I share an apartment. We both wanted to move to the city and renting an apartment alone was too expensive. It was easier for us to split the rent and live together. You would think this would be awkward seeing as we are not a couple and/or dating yet living together. Thing run smoothly for the most part though.

Most mornings, I was the first one to wake up and make breakfast, however the smell of fresh pancakes pulled me from my slumber this morning. I adjusted my pajamas so they fit correctly once again as I walked out of my room. Hakyeon was dancing around the kitchen in my apron as he placed things on the table. Seeing him like this made my heart race. It was too early to feel this way. I pounded on my chest to try and relax my heart. This caught Hakyeon’s attention and he smiled brightly at me.

“Good morning!” He beamed. “I made breakfast for you!”         

“I see that.” I sat down at the table and observed what Hakyeon had cooked. Plates of toast and pancakes sat piled in the middle of the table with butter and syrup beside them. He placed glasses of juice next to our plates before sitting down as well. “What’s the occasion?” I asked.

“Is it that fishy for me to make breakfast for once?” He chuckled. I wanted to believe him but something told me not to.

“Are we celebrating something? Did you pass an audition? Is today something special?” I asked thinking of many scenarios that could make Hakyeon this happy for it being still early in the morning.

“Aishh…fine. You caught me. I do have some news.” He seemed so excited that he couldn’t sit still. “I’ve asked my girlfriend to move in with us and she said yes! So she’s moving in today.”

That was another reason why Hakyeon is oblivious to my feelings for him. He has been in a steady relationship with Shim Mihyun for almost two years now. He met her at school while at dance practice. She is nice, when Hakyeon is around that is. When he isn’t in the room, Mihyun hates my guts and I hate hers. She’d never admit to Hakyeon that she considers me a threat to their relationship, but she makes it quite clear to me every chance she gets that SHE is Hakyeon’s girlfriend, not me.

The thought that Hakyeon didn’t ask for my approval really bothered me.  “And when were you planning on running this by me? It’s not like I live here too.”

Hakyeon’s cheerful expression faded. “I thought you’d be okay with this.”

“Hakyeon, a third person is moving into a place I call home without me having any prior knowledge of it. How am I supposed to be okay with this?”

“Why do you dislike Mihyun so much? What has she done to you?” Hakyeon raised his voice.

I sighed and got up from the table. “I’m happy for you Hakyeon. I really am, but I cannot continue to live here if she moves in.”

I knew my response was a bit extreme but I knew every day would be hell for me if I had to see Hakyeon and Mihyun playing house. She’d rub it in my face and it just wasn’t worth it.

“Where else will you go? Can you get a new apartment in such short notice?”

“I know someone close to school that can house me for the time being.”

Hakyeon tried to stop me from going back to my room. “Inhye, please don’t be like this. I’m sorry I didn’t talk to you about this first. Please, let’s work this out.”

The doorbell rang and someone began pounding on the door. Shim Mihyun had arrived.

“Better help her. I’m sure she has a lot to bring in.” I told him before locking myself in my room.

I was pretty sure I had really hurt Hakyeon’s feelings, but this would be better for them as a couple, right? I began to pack my bags and could hear Hakyeon and Mihyun moving her belongings into the living room. I didn’t really have a lot to pack. I wasn’t fully unpacked to begin with. I used the boxes I had packed from home as storage seeing as I was too lazy to go out and buy shelving and such. The next thing I had to do was call someone and ask to stay at their place for a while.

To be honest, when I told Hakyeon that I knew someone that would take me in, I had no one in mind. Most of the people I associated with at school were more acquaintances. I thought long and hard. There had to be someone. I scanned through the contacts on my phone. Most of those people I didn’t even talk to anymore. I then stumbled upon one person who may be able to help me out – Lee Hongbin.

Hongbin and I had been in a few classes together and would often talk before and after class and sometimes work as study buddies before important exams. Hongbin was only a year or two younger than me but he seemed rather mature for his age and knew what he wanted out of life. He knew of some of my feelings for Hakyeon and, I hoped, would understand my predicament.

I took a deep breath as I pressed call. I wasn’t expecting much. Who would want to take someone they hardly know into their home because they are choosing to leave theirs? And especially on such short notice?

                “Hello?” Hongbin answered.

“Hello Hongbin. It’s Kim Inhye.”

“Inhye-ssi! How have you been? It’s been a while.”

It was now or never. “Hongbin-ssi, I have a huge favor to ask but feel free to say no if it’s too much.” I took a deep breath. “Do you think I could stay at your place for a while until I can find an apartment? I really can’t think of anyone else to call.”

There was nothing but silence on the other end. I began to think this was a really bad idea. I should just look into hotels to stay in for a while because this was really too much to be asking of Hongbin.

                “Yeah sure, I can make some room here for you. Is everything okay?”

                “Really its fine, Hongbin-ssi...” Wait. “You said make some room?”

“Yeah, you can stay here. It’s no bother to me. I’m sure you wouldn’t be asking something like this if you could avoid it.” He chuckled. “Do you need help bringing stuff over? When do you plan on coming over?”

“THANK YOU SO MUCH HONGBIN!” I couldn’t control the volume of my voice. I’m pretty sure Hakyeon heard me, but that didn’t matter to me at the moment. “Um, I was kind of planning on coming over like now or soon.”

“If you give me like 15 minutes, I can come pick you up and make this an easy move.” He suggested.

“That’s great. Thank you so much, Hongbin-ssi. I really can’t thank you enough.”

“Anytime, Inhye-ssi. I know you would do the same for me.”