Shall We Celebrate?

Please Save Me From This Chaos

A few days had passed since I had moved into Hongbin’s apartment. Things were a lot different than I had been anticipating them to be. I hardly saw Hongbin outside of meals. Our schedules were extremely incompatible. I had talked to Hakyeon about getting lunch at the end of the week and that was really all we had said to one another since I left. I was kind of hoping to be able to relay him better news when I saw him, rather than what I had to tell.

I sat at our favorite café as I waited for Hakyeon to arrive. I saw him approach the entrance however he was not alone. A blonde haired boy followed him. I didn’t recognize him but when the two got inside and found my table, they both smiled at me.

“Noona, how are you?” The blonde haired boy said. I looked up at Hakyeon, not shielding my confused expression. The boy laughed. “Noona, it’s me. Sanghyuk!”

“OH! SANGHYUKKIE!” Sanghyuk was a student Hakyeon had taken under his wing back in high school. He had seen Hakyeon dancing one day and asked him to be his teacher so he could pass his performance entrance exam. After we had left for college, we were unable to see him again.

“He attends our college now.” Hakyeon informed me. “I was stopping by to pick up some thing and he spotted me.”

“Hyung said he was on his way to meet up with you so I wanted to drop by and say hello.” Sanghyuk gave me a quick hug before patting Hakyeon on the shoulder. “I have to get back for practice now. It was good seeing you two again. Hyung, you have my number. We should all get dinner sometime, like the old days.”

“Will do, Hyuk! Practice hard!” Hakyeon called out to him.

Hakyeon sat down across from me and reached for my hand that was rested on the table. I furrowed my eyebrows at him but he was focused on my hand in his.

“Inhye-ah…” He sighed. There was a pain in Hakyeon’s eyes that I had never seen before. “I need you to move back in. The apartment is so empty without you there. I can barely function.” I felt like laughing but I knew that would be inappropriate because of how serious Hakyeon was. “Did you know you’re cooking is unbelievable? Mihyun tried to make me breakfast the other morning and she set off the smoke alarm and then the other morning she didn’t even get up before I did.”

I smiled gently. “I think I spoiled you, Hakyeon.” I let out a little chuckle and placed my free hand on top of his.

“Do you make breakfast for Hongbin-ssi?”

I knew Hongbin would come up. I was actually surprised thought that Hakyeon was comparing himself to Hongbin by the sounds of things.

I shook my head. “No, we make our own breakfasts. Our schedules are different so we just eat at the same table more so than share a meal.”

I could tell Hakyeon wanted to smile however he frowned. “And you prefer that over living with me?”

“Hakyeon, this isn’t about you.” I tried my best to keep my voice soft. The whole café didn’t need to hear us argue.

“How is this not about me? You left because of Mihyun. She thinks you hate her. Inhye, you’ve made your point. Can you please come back?”

“My point? OPPA!” Hakyeon looked at me surprised. I hardly ever called him oppa, even while we grew up. “I didn’t move out to make a point to you, so obviously I can’t move back in because you don’t understand that.” I got up from my seat. “I’m sorry Hakyeon, but I have to go meet up with Hongbin for dinner.”

I picked up my purse and rushed out the door before Hakyeon could stop me. That was not how I wanted things to go. I felt tears threaten to fall from my eyes and I tried to wipe them away before anyone could see. I heard my phone go off in my purse so I stopped for a second to see who was calling, anticipating it to be Hakyeon, but it read Hongbin.

“Hello?”

“Need a ride, crybaby?”

I looked around where I stood. “Where are you?” I asked, ignoring his name-calling.

“To your left. Hurry up and get in I’m hungry.” He hung up.

I slowly looked over my shoulder and saw Hongbin’s car on the side of the road. He had the passenger window rolled down and waved at me once I had spotted him. I wiped away my tears again before heading over and getting into the car. Hongbin took my hand in his once I had put on my seatbelt.

“Things didn’t go so well with Hakyeon.” It wasn’t a question.

“He doesn’t understand why I moved out to begin with so there will continue to be problems until he finally understands my reasons.” The tears threated my eyes again.

Hongbin unbuckled his seat belt and leaned over, pulling me into a hug. “Don’t worry. Things will end well.”

Hongbin seemed to be one step ahead of me all the time. He knew just what would make the pain go away and he did it in a way where I would forget why he was even comforting me to begin with. I was thankful to have a friend like him.

I thought for a moment before another question arose. “Why are you here?”

Hongbin smirked and started the car. He didn’t answer me. I tried my best to let the question go but I didn’t remember telling Hongbin where I would be and how would he just happen to be passing by at that time?

He pulled up to the little restaurant by his apartment and helped me out of the car. He was giving off a really weird vibe today and I didn’t know what to think of it. Ahjumma brought us a few dishes almost immediately after we sat down. Hongbin must have told her we were coming and ordered ahead of time, I tried to tell myself. Hongbin caught me staring at him and smiled as he took another bite of dinner. He wasn’t easing my suspicions.

“Noona, are you feeling okay?” Hongbin asked, reaching across the table to place his hand on my face.

I backed away, startled. “Y-yah! I’m fine! I should be asking you if you’re feeling okay. You’re acting weird today.”

Hongbin chuckled. “Today’s a good day.”

“You never answered me in the car. Why were you by the café?”

Hongbin shrugged and took a sip off his drink. “I just happened to drive by and I saw you walking out so I stopped.”

I watched his expression to try and see is he was lying to me. “But why were you just driving around? Did you have class? Were you running errands?”

Hongbin laughed. “Ah noona, you’re being so cute right now.”

I blushed and turned away, trying to hide my face. “I’m just trying to piece things together.”

“There’s nothing to piece together.” He grabbed some food with his chopsticks and held it up to me. “Come on now and eat dinner.”

After all that, I talked about my talk with Hakyeon and Hongbin told him about Sanghyuk. He told me about how he had gotten an internship and had some photo shoots lined up for next week already.

“Then we should celebrate!” I told him.

He nodded in agreement. “Okay, how about a date then?”

I laughed. “A date? I was thinking more or less about getting some drinks.”

“Why can’t we do both?”

“Why do we have to go on a date?” I slapped my hands over my mouth. My words had come out harsher sounding that I had intended them to.

Hongbin didn’t let it bother him. He smiled at me and looked around the room nervously. “I like you, Noona. I kind of always have. I was really happy to hear from you the other day about needing a place to stay. I thought I would never get a chance to talk to you again before then.”

I was touched by Hongbin’s words. That would explain his weird behavior. However, Hakyeon came to mind. I still wasn’t fully over him. I didn’t want to go on a date with Hongbin and hurt his feelings. And what would I do if things turned out bad and we grew awkward with one another? I would have nowhere to live and I would be forced to move back into the apartment. But how could I say no to Hongbin?

 

A/N: Thank you for waiting so patiently for an update. I have finals this week so hopefully I will be able to update a lot on Christmas break. ENJOY!!