Love Is So Short

I Love You Without Knowing How, or When, or From Where....

“Love is so short, forgetting is so long.” 

― Pablo NerudaLove: Ten Poems


The Elevator door beeped twice before the  sliver doors slid opened. A young male  with chestnut hair and tan complexion wearing a enlarged black coat ( winter was coming soon) walked into the apartment complex hallway.

“Ahhh good thing it’s Friday!” the tan male smiled to himself. Even though he loved his job as an elementary school music teacher the male was just exhausted. Kids never run out of energy, never.

The chestnut hair boy looked up when he heard shuffling. In front of him  there were a few piles of boxes near the end of the dull mustard olive hue hallway  next to the mustard colored door that has been vacant for months.  In front there was a pink haired male murmuring to himself probably trying to figure out what was the best way to bring  the boxes in the home. The smiley pink hair male wore a gray muscle shirt which showed off his huge and muscular arms.  The tan boy recognized him automatically as his roommate  and best friend Moon Jongup.

“Jongup what are you doing?” the tan boy asked, smiling as he noticed his  friend brighten up when the younger boy saw him.

“Daehyun-hyung!”  the male named Jongup put down a boxed and turn around to look at his roommate, “I am helping the new neighbor move in!” Jongup ended by giving his signature smile.

“Oh! Who is it?” Daehyun was intrigued, the last neighbor was a old cat lady grouchy and very, very mean and Daehyun wanted to forget the cat smell at the very least.

“Oh its-“ Jongup got interrupted when a raven hair male walked out of the yellow door.

“Jonguppie thank you for helping!” the sassy male hugged Jongup making Jongup chuckle and hug the older male back.

“No problem hyung!” Jongup blushed, as the older male cooed over him.

Daehyun blinked, once, twice and a third time. ‘Since when have they been on friendly trems…ehh he seems nice…’ Daehyun thought to himself as he looked at the raven haired male.

Daehyun could see that the male was older than him though not too much older. His facial complexion  in one word could be described as perfection, Daehyun could not see any blemishes on that pale angular face.  And the clothes the male wore, all Gucci or some other fancy mark that Daehyun did know or care about (or afford).

The raven hair male finally let go of the smiling ball of sunshine and turned to look at Daehyun. His expression soon change into confusion and then terror as he looked at Daehyun.

 “Who-who are you?” The frightened raven hair male looked at Daehyun and stepped back, he looked shocked and frightened.

“Himchan hyung this is my roommate and best friend Daehyun, Jung Daehyun.” Jongup smiled warily not understanding why his new friend was acting strangely,” Hyung this is Kim Himchan!”

“Hi, nice to meet you.” Daehyun smiled and bowed politely, he felt awkward as the older male examined him.

The raven male named Himchan finally blinked, “So freaky…..”

“Huh?” Daehyun tilted his head in confusion still not understanding what was up with the raven haired male.

Himchan took a couple of sets forward and cupped Daehyun’s face and leaned closer to take a better look at Daehyun’s face. Daehyun’s eyes grew wide in shock and his cheeks grew red, “Wh-at are you doing?” Daehyun stuttered.

“Crap you look so alike…” Himchan mumbled, “Even the stupid accent is the same.”

“Hey! I don’t have an accent!” Daehyun glared at Himchan and pulled away from the freaky older male.

Himchan tilted his head, “This won’t be good…. I hope he takes this well….”

“What won’t be good? What are you talking about?” Daehyun asked confused.

Himchan then smiled warily, “Ah…nothing don’t worry about it. It’s Daehyun, right? Nice to meet you!”

Jongup smiled that they were getting along.

“So what made you decide to move here?” Daehyun asked the pale male.

Himchan giggled and shook his head, “Oh I am not your new neighbor. I’m just helping my friend he should be here soon.”

As if on cue the elevator beeped and the sliver doors slid opened.

A thin brunette male with milky skin carrying small yellow box appeared through the doors.  Daehyun lazily turned to look, but soon his mouth fall slack, he felt his heart flutter once he laid his eyes on the male.

 It was as if an angel of the heavens had appeared before him. Daehyun knew this is what it must be to fall in love at first sight. The pale male had an angular face but the prominent cheekbones soften his face. The hazel brown orbs were memorizing and his cute button nose was perfectly shaped while the pouty plump lips made Daehyun unconsciously his own.  A black beanie covered most of the male’s hair but bouncy curls peeked out on the front. The male had a red hoddie and wore a huge black scarf that covered his entire neck.

Daehyun smiled at the boy, but the younger male didn’t even notice him. It was as if the beautiful male was in his own world. Daehyun could tell by the distant look on the others eyes he probably didn’t know they were there.

“YOUNGJAE!” Himchan bounced his way to the pensive boy.

Youngjae jerked his head up not expecting to see Himchan, “Is that the last thing?” Himchan asked.

Youngjae nodded and continued his walked but paused and looked at Jongup and bowed, “I am grateful for you help. Thank you.” Youngjae mumbled and turned around to walk toward his apartment.

“It’s not problem, I’ll help you with your last boxes too.” Jongup smiled more bowed as well.

Youngjae nodded and entered the apartment.

“Daehyun can you help us too? We are almost done!” Himchan asked.

Daehyun shrugged sure, ‘ I wouldn’t mind see more of that …..’ Daehyun thought as he looked at the cheeky’s boy butty sway side to side as he walked.

~~~~~~~~

Youngjae blinked  a couple times before he looked around his new apartment. He sighed in relief, “Finally.” Youngjae mumbled to himself and walked towards the window across the room. He leaned his head onto the cold glass. He look through the window to see the packed streets filled with ant looking people walking on the streets. Youngjae sighed and noticed that his breath had fogged up the window. He lifted his hand slowly and traced a heart on the window.

 “I did it. I moved out aren’t you proud of me?” Youngjae  pressed his hand where he drew the heart.  Youngjae could see his own reflection on the window,  and the sadness reflected his face.

He heard the front door open. Through the reflection of the window he saw Himchan, his annoying but loyal friend, walk in huffing with two boxes. Youngjae broke into a small smiled, this would be the only time he would see that diva doing any type of manual work. Next to come in was the happy muscular boy with three boxes, Youngjae had already forgotten his name but he hadn't bothered trying to remember him anyhow. Youngjae didn’t plan to ever talk to him again.

Youngjae was about to close his eyes but he noticed a last figure coming in with the last box. Youngjae furrowed his brows as he looked at the reflection of the glass.  Shocked, Youngjae dropped the box he was holding and turned to look at the new male in the room.

Youngjae’s gaze looked with the new chestnut haired male’s. 

Youngjae’s breathing hitch, ‘it can’t be….he can’t…but he looks just like…’ Youngjae’s mind went hazy and he felt his heart quickened.

“Hi-mchan!” Youngjae yelled panicked.

Himchan who was humming to a happy tune looked up warily.

“Crap.” Himchan muttered once he saw his best friend was not far along from having a panic attack, his body was trembling in fear and his eyes were watering. Himchan followed Youngjae’s  gaze to the new male he met.

Himchan ran up to Youngjae and hugged him, “Relax Jae.”

“Wh-os that?” Youngjae mumbled still looking at Daehyun.

“Let’s go to your room!” Himchan pulled the shaking boy towards the closest room and closed the door behind them.

Jongup looked at Daehyun worriedly both exchanged confused looks not understanding what was going on.

“What’s up?” Daehyun whispered to Jongup.

“I don’t know but from the looks of it, Youngjae-ssi is not found of you..” Jongup mumbled smiling at the pouty Daehyun, “I think you’ll have to work harder to woo him hyung.”

Daehyun glared at Jongup, “How the hell did you—“

“I saw how you were practically drooling over him!” Jongup laughed.

~~~~~~~~

“He is your new neighbor Jung Daehyun, I’m sorry I asked him to help. I wasn’t thinking Jae.” Himchan rubbed Youngjae’s back soothingly.

“But he loo—“ Youngjae buried his face onto Himchan’s chest not wanting to think about the new male anymore.

“I know, but he isn’t. ” Himchan sighed, “It’s not him, Youngjae relax. You came here to start a new life am I right?”

Youngjae nodded as he stepped back trying to compose himself and raised his hand to his mouth only to have it slapped away, “Don’t start biting your nails again!” Himchan glared at Youngjae.

Youngjae glared backed but scoffed and stuffed his hand in his pockets. He looked out the door, “Why did you invite him in?” Youngjae asked bitterly.

“Well you do need more friends and why not, they are your neighbors!” Himchan patted Youngjae’s back.

Youngjae stepped away from Himchan, “I don’t need new friends. I don’t need anyone.” Youngjae mumbled the last part.

Himchan frowned, “Yes you do Youngjae. Nobody can stand living on their own for long.  Now let’s go out there and talk to your new neighbors.”

Youngjae rolled his eyes, “Can we just kick them out now?”

Himchan gasp and punched Youngjae on the shoulder repeatedly, “Youngjae pabo!”

“Oww!” Youngjae pouted, “What was that for!?”

“You cannot just throw two hotties out of your house just like that, especially the one with the nice body!” Himchan huffed.

“Oh soo that’s what this is all about, you have a hots for that smiling steroid freak!”  Youngjae grumbled.

Himchan gasped once again and this time he grabbed his slipper and started to hit Youngjae with it.

“Oww! HIMCHAN STOP!” Youngjae tried to protect himself from the angry diva.

“ITS HIMCHAN HYUNG TO YOU!” Himchan shouted as he hit Youngjae.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Youngjae and Himchan finally emerged out the room. Daehyun and Jongup had been waiting patiently and awkwardly for a couple minutes. They even heard Himchan’s shouts and Youngjae’s annoyed shouts back. Daehyun and Jongup tried to contained their laughter, they could tell they were really close by the way they acted.

Himchan had his hair disheveled when he reappear in the living room, with an annoyed looking Youngjae who had his arms crossed in front of him and a look that said ‘don’t –you-dare-ing-talk to-me-you-peasant. ’

Himchan had the nice idea of inviting the boys for takeout in gratitude for the help.  Daehyun could tell that Youngjae was not okay with that idea, but he hushed up when Himchan gave him the evil eye. Himchan could look very, very scary if he wanted to.

Now they were all sitting at the dining room table eating Chinese takeout that Himchan kindly offered to pay for with Youngjae’s money of course (the younger boy looked ready to kill the sassy male).

Daehyun set his chop sticks down and looked at Himchan who sat across of him, he was busy at the moment talking to Jongup. Daehyun felt a awkward, Youngjae who was sitting in fornt of him had not even once even tried to talk to him, didn’t even bothered to introduce himself.

 Daehyun felt bad, he remembered the way Youngjae looked at him when he first entered the apartment, it was something that nearly broke his heart. He never thought someone could look so pained and frightened at the same time. He wanted to know why Youngjae had reacted that way, Himchan reacted similar as well. Was it because of what Himchan said before?  ‘you look so alike…’ Daehyun pondered, ‘like who though?’

Daehyun felt someone’s eyes on him and looked up catching Youngjae’s eyes on him. Daehyun smiled to the younger chubby-cheek boy, before he looked back down his plate. Daehyun frowned Youngjae always tried to evade  Daehyun, this wasn’t the first time Daehyun caught him staring at him this night. Was it creepy? Not for Daehyun, he actually liked that the younger boy was looking at him. It gave him hope that maybe Youngjae liked him. Daehyun smiled to himself, ‘yeah maybe he likes me that’s why he isn’t talking…maybe he is  very shy!’

“Where do you work hyung?” Daehyun catched Jongup asking Himchan.

“Well, I work for the Elle magazine writing fashion articles!” Himchan smiled.

“Ahh that’s why you have such nice fashion," Jongup smiled making Himchan blush from the compliement.

“And broke..” Youngjae mumbled under his breath, though Himchan heard him and smacked his head making Youngjae hiss in pain.

Daehyun chuckled, Youngjae looked adorable pouting. His furrowed brows and his pouty lips made him look so squishy let alone his cheeks where just to die for. Daehyun wanted to reach forward and just pinch them.

Jongup smiled, “I bet your not as bad as Daehyun, he spends his nights singing at different taverns, he spends all his money on nice suits, leaving him without a cent.”

“You sing?” Himchan asked in awe and looked at Youngjae who just looked bored with the whole conversation.

“Yeah! He is great!” Jongup didn’t even let Daehyun talk, “ He has a voice of an angel! Sing hyung!” Jongup light pushed Daehyun shoulder smiling at him.

“No, no!” Daehyun shock his head embarrassed.

“Sing! Please!” Himchan hugged Youngjae who looked at the begging diva more annoyed, “Sing! Come on Youngjae tell him to sing, don’t you want to hear him?”

Daehyun looked excitedly at Youngjae, though Youngjae just who furrowed his brow even more  and pouted his lips didn’t seem to be as hyped as the others.

“I really don’t care…” Youngjae said  looking at his hands as if they were more interesting. Daehyun frowned, sad that Youngjae wasn’t interested.

“Aish! Don’t be rude! You love music you used to sing all the time!” Himchan added.

“Used to.” Youngjae said and pushed Himchan’s arms off him.

Himchan rolled his eyes, “Sorry about this party pooper he is usually more fun. But since he became a “professor” he had actually took the role of being one: boring and monotone!”

Youngjae shot another death glare at Himchan but didn’t say anything.

“You’re a professor? But you’re so young! What do you teach!?” Daehyun asked hoping to get on Youngjae’s good side.

Youngjae looked at his plate and played with his food, not answering Daehyun for a couple of seconds.

“Pst, Youngjae Daehyun asked you a question. “ Himchan sounded annoyed.

“History.” Youngjae answered and continued to play with his food.

Himchan face-palmed, “ What Youngjae meant to say is that he teaches History at Seoul University, he is actually one of the youngest professors to ever to teach at that University.  The kid is actually a genius, he graduated with honors! He is just too humble to say that!” Himchan smiled trying to save the conversation.

“Ohhhh!” Jongup and Daehyun smiled.

“That’s awesome, I loved history most people find it boring, but I always was so interested!” Jongup commented, “Youngjae-ssi  is so cool!”

Youngjae gave a small smile to Jongup slightly bow thanking him, making Jongup smile more that he got at least a respond from the grumpy quiet boy, but also made Daehyun jealous, he wanted to be the one to make Youngjae smile.

Himchan, happy that Youngjae was finally not being a rude ,  looked less annoyed, “So Jongup what do you do?” Himchan asked.

“I work with my parents at their flower shop!” Jongup said proudly.

Youngjae perked up, “ Where is your flower shop?”

Himchan and Daehyun looked at Youngjae shocked since Youngjae actually looked interested.

“Oh, hmm just around the corner, next to the Sue’s Grocery store.” Jongup smiled warmly at Youngjae.

“Hmm…” Youngjae nodded, “What time does the store open?”

“We opened at hmm…” Jongup scrunched his face thinking for a second, “7 a.m. everyday including Sundays!”

Youngjae nodded again and went back at picking at his food. Himchan was perplexed, Youngjae was just a wild card.

~~~~~~~

Himchan was the one who led the two boys out the door since Youngjae just walked out to his room without a word making Himchan red from embarrassment.

“I’m sorry about him….” Himchan smiled warily.

“It’s okay, I can tell Youngjae-ssi is very reserved I respect that.” Jongup commented making Himchan smile at the adorable boy.

“Can you guys just promise me one thing?” Himchan whispered.

“What’s up?” Daehyun asked gloomy. He was just sad that he had to fall in love with the coldest man in the planet.

“Can you two keep an eye on him for me? I live on the other side of the city so I can’t visit that often.” Himchan smiled warily.

“No problem hyung. We will make sure he is doing well.” Jongup agreed automatically.

“Just call me if you notice anything suspicious!” Himchan added.

“What’s suspicious?” Daehyun added.

“Hmm….if you don’t see him for a couple days….” Himchan smiled sadly. He didn’t wanted to think Youngjae would ever do anything stupid again, but Himchan wasn’t too sure.

Daehyun tilted his head confused, “Okay….”

Himchan scratched his head, “Youngjae wasn’t always like this. He is actually really nice and fun! He would make you laugh until you cry but…” Himchan  sighed the sparkle in his eyes grew dim, his face too seemed to grow dark, “it’s just been hard…on him…on all of us…”

Jongup nodded and hugged Himchan, “We understand hyung, don’t worry.”

Himchan smiled Jongup back. Daehyun could have swore he heard sniffles from the older male. He felt awkward just standing there while the other two hugged each other.

Himchan took a step back and took out his phone, “hmm…can I have your number you know just to check on Jae..” Himchan blushed.

Jongup nodded enthusiastically and took Himchan's phone.

Daehyun rolled his eyes, “Are you sure that’s all you want his number for?”

Himchan grew redder and looked away embarrassed.

“Don’t worry Channie-hyung Daehyun is just jealous since Youngjae who he happened to fall in love instantly didn’t even look at him!” Jongup smirked.

Himchan giggled most at the new nickname that Jongup had given him, “Oh I see, poor prince charming is going to have a hard time charming  the princess.”

Jongup chuckled, “I think the princess is going to kill the prince before he even gets to first base.”

Both Himchan and Jongup busted out laughing, Daehyun clenched his fists embarrassed and angry, “OH YOU’LL SEE! Just you wait Youngjae will like me too!”

“Oh is that a challenge?” Himchan smirked and hugged Jongup from the back and whispered something to the younger boy making him laugh.

“IT’S NOT A CHALLENGE! I wouldn’t take love as a game!” Daehyun shouted, but regretted saying that as soon as the words came out his mouth, he just sounded like a wimpy boy in love.

Jongup and Himchan just smiled at each other and nodded as if they knew what the other was saying.

Daehyun shivered ‘they just met this morning and they are acting as if they are an old married couple, its just creepy!’

“I am glad Youngjae decided to live here…” Himchan smiled at Daehyun, “I leave Youngjae in your hands Daehyun, please make him happy.”

Daehyun blushed and looked down, “um…thanks.”

Out of nowhere Himchan gave Daehyun a huge hug, “It’s as if he is back…I knew he would always take care of Jae one way or another…” Himchan mumbled mostly to himself, leaving Daehyun more confused than before.

~~~~~~~~~

Youngjae laid on his bed looking at the triangular patterned of his navy hue duvet following the pattern with his finger, tracing its shape. He hummed to an old lullaby he used to sing all the time, the song held  a storm of emotions both bitter and sweet.  Youngjae looked up at his pale and empty room, it was going to take him all day tomorrow to put up his things both in his room and in the others.

Youngjae sighed and turned over so he was now face down on his bed. Youngjae groaned in annoyance his hoddie was making him hot, but he hated taking off his sweater, he preferred to be hot than to see how he looked under it. It wasn’t that he was fat or anything he could care less, it was just he was disgusted with his own body. He couldn’t look at it, it just brought him too many memories he preferred not to think of.

Youngjae heard a soft not on the door and soon heard the door open.

“I am going to sleep in the next room, you’re lucky the last owner left all these furniture behind or you would have been sleeping on the floor.”  Himchan added but Youngjae didn’t answer and kept his face pasted on the duvet.

Himchan huffed in annoyance, “Well goodnight to you too.”

“Himchan wait,” Youngjae raised his head up and turned to face the older male.

“Himchan hyung, hyuuunngg!” Himchan reminded the younger boy, annoyingly.

Youngjae nodded slightly, “Himchan-hyung can….can you….hmm…”

Himchan sighed and walked in the room towards one of the boxes, “Where are your spare pjs Jae?”

“That box there” Youngjae pointed at a box on the far corner.

Himchan quickly went over and grabbed some clothes before he went in the restroom that was connected in the to the room. In a few minutes a freshly washed Himchan walked back and stared at Youngjae who was sitting the same position he had left him in.

“Jae move,” Himchan  sighed pushing the younger boy off the bed so he could go under the sheets, Youngjae soon followed the older male.

“You know you’ll have to get used to it, U-kwon and B-Bomb won’t be running in your room anymore wanting to have a sleep over with you…which was like every single night…” Himchan said once both of them where under the sheets.

Youngjae didn’t answer but  scooted closer to Himchan. Himchan smiled at his younger friend. Even though Youngjae never said “I love you hyung or thank you for being with me..” Himchan knew Youngjae was grateful for Himchan.  Even though Youngjae was mean and cold towards Himchan, he knew that Youngjae thought as Himchan as his best friend. He knew Youngjae deeply cared about Himchan and trusted him more than anyone else. Himchan was the only one who knew where Youngjae was living, Youngjae didn’t even tell his own brother he was moving out.

Youngjae rested his head on Himchan’s shoulder, “Jae are you going to be okay by yourself?”

“Yeah, “ Youngjae mumbled.

“Call me if you need anything okay?” Himchan added, “Actually text me every morning and night!”

“Okay…” Youngjae sighed and started to close his eyes exhaustion taking over him.

“Goodnight Youngjae.” Himchan pecked his friend's forehead smiling at how adorable Youngjae looked at the moment, his freshly showered brown hair was all over the place  and his face looked almost at peace, “Love you Jae.”

“Love you too, Umma-chan…” Youngjae smiled as buried his face on the crook of Himchan’s neck and cuddle closer to Himchan.

Himchan wrapped his arms around his best friend protectively, he smiled sadly. Few moments like this were the only times Youngjae would be like his old self.  Himchan felt a knot creating on his throat, he closed his eyes trying to fight back the tears, he missed his friend so much and he hated seeing him in this state. He wished he could see the old goofball, the stupid Youngjae that played tricks on everyone, the one who would over react over everything and laugh like a hyena.

But it was as if that Youngjae had died two years ago, when everything happened. The moment where everything changed in a second where everything just seem to go down and the pain never seemed to leave.

Himchan was happy that Youngjae finally decided to move away, a new scene will probably be for the best. And maybe just maybe Youngjae could fall in love with the boy next door and move one with his life, but that was all that Himchan could do, just hope. 


A/N: Hi, I know this story is confusing but

slowly the mystery will be sloved don't worry!

Thank you for reading & Subscribing! Kisses!