Chapter 7

Make It The Right Fifty

 

 

 

“Say Yuri.” Jessica leaned her back on Yuri’s bedpost while Yuri was sitting in front of her study, organizing some papers. “How’s everything lately?”

 

“Good.” Yuri simply replied, her eyes not meeting Jessica’s but was fixed on what she had at hand. “Nothing’s new.”

 

Two whole minutes of pure silence passed, and Jessica was bothered by every second of it, while Yuri was keeping busy arranging her desk; Tiffany’s words has been making her thinking non-stop and she hated doing that… she wanted her questions to be answered, but there was only one way –to ask!

 

“Are you seeing anyone?” Jessica asked straight after taking a deep breath, and Yuri paused for a moment before locking gaze with the blonde; the atmosphere turned silent for a yet another second, only this time it was Yuri who was thinking.

 

“Seeing someone as in dating-wise?” Yuri questioned, and Jessica simply nodded.

 

“No. I’m not seeing anyone.” Yuri replied and let out a forced chuckle, “Why are you asking though? Are you seeing anyone?”

 

Jessica tried to register Yuri’s answer and expression at that moment, she was no good at reading people like her friends were; so she still chose to keep in mind what Tiffany assumed over what she had just heard, but then again Yuri never lies… it was confusing for her.

 

“Earth to Jessica, are you there?” a voice interrupted her thoughts, and she realized she had spaced out for a moment and didn’t yet answer Yuri’s question who was now focusing on her.

 

“Sorry.” Jessica let out a chuckle knowing how weird she probably looked like when she was indulged in her own thoughts and shook her head slightly. “I was just wondering about where you went the other day… and no, I’m not seeing anyone.”

 

Yuri nodded her head in understanding and before she could reply, Jessica added “You know I would tell you if I was.” That was the message she wanted Yuri to know; that they had to share this kind of information.

 

“So you want to know where I went.” Yuri lowered her gaze back to the papers on her study, they were now as scattered as her thoughts were and didn’t know if she should tell Jessica that she left her home with Tiffany just to be alone. “You won’t be mad?”

 

“Just tell me, will you?” Jessica said helplessly and bit her lower lips anxiously in fear of what Yuri’s answer might be, she secretly prayed that what Tiffany said was wrong even though she didn’t have the right to wish for Yuri to not be in a relationship.

 

“Honestly…” Yuri said as she rubbed the back of her head. “I just wanted to be alone and clear my head… I do that sometimes; leave my friends and go off somewhere to get some fresh air, it helps.”

 

 “Really?” was all that Jessica could voice out, she was no longer leaning on the bed post but sitting on the edge of it with her legs dangling out, facing Yuri; she needed a confirmation.

 

“Yes, really. I just didn’t want you to worry or think that I don’t feel comfortable or anything.” Yuri answered, “I’d tell you if I was seeing someone Sica. Didn’t I say that I would?”

 

Jessica nodded as let out a relived sigh and smiled genuinely at the girl before her; she was happy Yuri didn’t forget her promise from their high school days, and she decided to not worry about it anymore.

 

-

 

Tiffany sat a little too impatiently as she waited for the train to arrive, never in her life did she feel this eager to meet someone like she did Taeyeon; whenever the latter went to visit her parents in the countryside during holiday, Tiffany would feel lonely and unbalanced, she’d be waiting for Taeyeon’s text messages and calls that never failed to draw a real smile on her face, and even though her friends always kept her company, Taeyeon’s shoes were just too big to fill.

 

Tiffany’s shoulder rose a bit and her eyes closed shut due to the sudden loud noise coming from the rail in front of her; the train has arrived at last. She quickly regained her posture and stood up to be faced with a sea of people coming out of the train, she scanned every face that passed her but still couldn’t find Taeyeon’s childish one, and it was frustrating for her.

 

Her phone vibrated in her jeans’ pocket and she reached for it quickly; she received a text message from Taeyeon.

 

“Roses are red, violets are blue. You’re staring at the front…

 

 

But I’m right behind you.”

 

As soon as the message made its way to Tiffany’s dense head, she turned around quickly only to find herself being wrapped in a warm hug, she didn’t need to see the face of the short figure she hugged back to know that it was Taeyeon.

 

“I missed you.” Taeyeon said before she slowly pulled off, and offered a sincere smile. “Did you miss me too?”

 

Tiffany pretended to think and earned herself a slap on the arm from Taeyeon who had the cutest pout on her face. “Aww… alright I missed you!”

 

“That’s better.” Taeyeon smirked. She and Tiffany already began to walk towards the exit liking their fingers together, and she kept her free hand busy by pulling her bag. “So how’s everything?”

 

“Everything’s okay.” Tiffany said, “But umm Jessica’s using your bed while she’s here, I honestly thought she’d go back before you came.”

 

“It’s okay.” Taeyeon simply replied; she never felt her privacy being disrespected if Tiffany ever used or lend her stuff to others, it was like she and Tiffany operated as a single person instead of two. “We can just share your bed.”

 

Tiffany felt her face getting warmer at the thought of her sleeping next to Taeyeon in the cramped space of a single bed, but before she could dwell on the idea, Taeyeon brought her back to reality.

 

“You said Jessica was supposed to leave earlier though?” She asked.

 

“Ah… yes.” Tiffany answered, “She said she won’t be back here during summer since she’ll take up summer classes; so she extended her stay here for another week or so.”

 

The two already reached Taeyeon’s parked car at the front, Tiffany never bought a car though she had a valid license and enough money to get one. She did that for a number of reasons; she’d always get a ride from Yuri or Taeyeon to wherever she wanted to go, and that the latter would always let her use her car whenever she was out of town.

 

“Do you want to drive? Or you’re too tired from the trip?” Tiffany asked, holding her keychain up in her hand and jiggling it to ring for Taeyeon’s attention.

 

“I’ll drive.” Taeyeon grabbed the keys from Tiffany’s hand before heading to the driver’s door, and replied with a big smile. “You are probably too tired from waiting.”

 

Tiffany couldn’t help but smile back at her special friend as she sat herself down on the passenger’s seat; even when she knew the latter was probably more tired than she was, Taeyeon still chose to let her rest instead.

 

-

 

Tiffany angrily threw her paper money on the ground; she had once more lost a good property to Jessica. The five girls played monopoly out in the open; Taeyeon suggested a group picnic since Jessica was about to leave soon, and their spring break was two days away from ending.

 

“I’ll never play with you again, Jessi!” she whined, and Jessica smirked at the sour loser in front of her, the other three girls just chuckled at the scene. “How could you possibly win every single time we play?”

 

“I’m business major.” Jessica simply teased, “Plus, I’ll be the one running the Jung family group later on, unlike you loser!” Tiffany had a chance in picking the major she liked because in the end Leo was the one who’ll take care of the family business after her dad since he was the only son; Jessica didn’t have the same choice as Tiffany because she was the oldest daughter, but still she liked the future her parents had planned for her.

 

“You and Leo are no fun when it comes to Monopoly.” Tiffany stated, “However, it would be fun to see you guys playing together.”

 

“Speaking of which, I think you two would actually look good together.” Yoona said, and all eyes her, “I mean, you both look fitting, and you have similar interests.”

 

“Me and Leo? Together?” Jessica chuckled; the idea always struck her as funny though it wasn’t the first time for anyone to shed some light on it. “It’s because that we’re similar that I can’t imagine myself to be with him.”

 

“Yeah, I agree with Jessi.” Tiffany added, “Jessica would probably be more comfortable with someone who’s the exact opposite of her.”

 

Yuri didn’t say anything but had full concentration on the conversation that was taking place before her, her face didn’t express much, and she didn’t notice that a pair of eyes were watching her whole reaction from the side –Taeyeon’s.

A heavy sigh after another, and Yuri still didn’t find the topic entertaining in any way; it was even a bit of a bother to be more precise.

 

“Hey you guys.” She said as she stood up and the attention was now on her, “an ice-cream car just passed here, I’ll go get me some. Who’s coming?”

 

Yoona immediately followed suit, and Tiffany got up too, “You want some Taeyeon?” she asked.

 

“You know my favorite.” Taeyeon simply replied with a smile, she then looked at Jessica’s direction who didn’t say whether she wanted to have some or not.

 

“Yuri knows my favorite too.” She smirked, mocking Taeyeon’s answer a second ago… The pair watched as the other three went to find the ice cream trunk, and when everyone was out of sight, Taeyeon and Jessica adjusted in place and sat up straight.

 

“I’ve been meaning to ask you about the notes.” Jessica said, “Any developments?”

 

“Well, it’s pretty obvious that Yuri’s improving in comparing to before.” Taeyeon replied, “But one thing I can’t make up… how is it happening? Or why?”

 

Jessica let out a sigh and scratched the back of her head, Yuri was the enigma she needed to solve and up until recently, she’s been asking Taeyeon to help her solve it.

 

“I think we should tell Tiffany.” Taeyeon said, and Jessica immediately shook her head.

 

“I don’t enjoy keeping things from her.” Taeyeon added and let out a heavy sigh, “plus, she’s the closest to Yuri whenever you’re not around.”

 

“You think I enjoy doing this to Yuri too?” Jessica argued, “It’s not like I could think of anything better to do, Taeyeon. I’m not as smart as you guys, and when it comes to Yuri it’s either helplessly the same or depressingly getting worse.”

 

“Look, Jessica.” Taeyeon replied, “It has nothing to do with brains here, my notes can only help in assuming what’s blocking Yuri away, but whatever the situation is; only Yuri can solve it.”

 

“So you’ll stop helping me?”

 

“I’ll stop if she seems to be continuingly improving.” Taeyeon answered, “But if it got worse, I’ll still do it if you want me to.”

 

“Fair enough.” Was all Jessica could say in reply, she noticed her three friends coming from afar with their ice creams in hand and she motioned Taeyeon to close the subject for now.

 

-

 

Yuri inhaled the sweet aroma of her favorite café as she was once again meeting Jason for a talk. She sipped a reasonable amount of her bitter black coffee before she gave a light smile to the person before her.

 

“I know that smile.” He said as he offered a similar one in reply, “Everything’s okay?”

 

“Well enough.” Yuri replied, her fingers moving randomly on the wooden table in front of her as if she was writing something, it was a habit of hers doing that. “Summer is different this year; been going out much with the girls, and Jessica’s not here.”

 

“And how’s that going for you?” he asked, though most of their talks were Q’s and A’s, he never wrote anything down or made Yuri feel like a patient of any sort; he just wanted to be a friend who offered an ear and an advice when needed. Yuri never felt forced when she talked to him or opened up, that was the key point that made Jason different than the rest; everyone else was asking her to do it.

 

“It’s a strange mixture of feelings; I’m both at ease, but… empty.” Yuri answered. She took another sip of her coffee and closed her eyes for a moment to absorb the bitterness.

 

“It’s strange because you’re viewing it as a mixture.” Jason said. “If you could analyze each feeling on its own, what do you think will be the reason for each once? separately?”

 

Jason raised an amused brow at Yuri’s reaction to his words; a response wasn’t needed, but he knew that this would get Yuri to do a lot of thinking.

 

“Besides this, has anything else been worrying you?” He asked again, “college is about to start soon, you got two years left before graduation.”

 

“Rather than saying college worries me, it’s the fact that I’m growing older.” Yuri replied, “Everyone around me either asks or talks about intimate relationships; dating and such.”

 

“And it bothers you?” He asked, and Yuri simply nodded. “Who was the one that asked?”

 

“Jessica.” Yuri answered; she tilted her head to the side and offered a questioning look. “Does it make a difference who?”

 

“A big one.” Jason said, “To you, being bothered about this seems like a reaction to the topic itself, but from my angle; I think it’s related to the person who brought it up.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Jason took a sip from his coffee before he searched for the right words to use in his head; this was a sensitive topic and he had to be careful.

 

“Maybe… deep down, your subconscious translated Jessica’s choice of topic to something within the lines of how she was now interested in dating.” He said, “And maybe… this was what really bothers you.”

 

Yuri registered each and every word into her mind, and as she opened to let out a reply, nothing was voiced out.

 

“Do you like Jessica?” He asked simply upon seeing her speechless, he was worried about Yuri’s reaction to his questions, but it seemed like the only right time to ask. Yuri’s eyes winded at his question and she felt a bit shocked having to hear it, her face stiffened and felt dry,

 

“I don’t know.” Yuri answered; she never really thought about it, and a heavy sigh escaped her lungs. “This is too complicated for me to think about.”

 

Jason simply nodded and didn’t push it any further; but to him… he already got his answer.