Chapter 2

Make It The Right Fifty

The windows’ corners glittered with frost, and the silence of the school’s library was constantly interrupted by the sounds of student’s blowing hot air into their palms in hopes to feel less cold with winter’s arrival not too long ago; everyone wanted to finish whatever paper they had to submit before break starts.

 

Among the crowd of students invading the library, two figures were seated facing each other on one of the study tables, Jessica and Yuri didn’t have any paper to work on; but enjoyed hanging in the library as it was one of their favorite spots in school… reading books was a hobby they both shared among other things they had in common.

 

Jessica stared at Yuri and thought about how she was getting to know more about Yuri each day, though the latter didn’t speak much of herself; Yuri liked reading drama novels and self-improvement books, she hated comedy movies, and didn’t feel comfortable with physical interaction with other people… Jessica found out about the last one when she accidentally brushed her arm on Yuri’s while walking together in the corridor only to see the girl getting all jumpy and fidgety at the contact.

 

“So what are we doing today?” Jessica’s train of thoughts was broken by Yuri’s question, the pair had a habit of choosing a different place to hang out in every other day after school ends, and before going back home… It was an Idea Jessica suggested to do so they could get to know each other more ever since she began driving Yuri home.

 

“I want to go to the beach.” Jessica answered, she planned this outing for nearly a week and she knew beforehand that today was her turn to choose where they will be hanging, “I know a good place, and it’s only an hour and a half drive away from here.”

 

“It’s winter!” Yuri objected, “Who goes to the beach during winter?”

 

“We will!” Jessica replied, she was not going to take ‘no’ for an answer… not this time, “When it was your turn to choose, I never disagreed; even when you wanted to have a freakin’ walk under the rain.”

 

Yuri let out a chuckle at the memory, and followed it with a long sigh; Jessica was right, and she was once again defeated by the princess.

 

-

 

“Surprise!” the crowd shouted, “Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday to you, Happy birthday dear Yu~ri, Happy birthday to you.”

 

Yuri was taking aback by the familiar looking faces that made the crowd in front of her, Jessica planned an early birthday surprise for her and invited all of their class mates, even though she rarely interacted with them, but she recognized everyone.

 

Much to Jessica’s shock, Yuri’s reaction wasn’t an expected one as the latter broke in tears and took a few steps away from the crowd… Jessica quickened her footsteps and followed behind, moments later, she found herself embracing the birthday girl in a warm hug, it was the first time they ever touched without Yuri jumping away.

 

She felt Yuri calm in her embrace, and she started to the latter’s back in a comforting gesture; Yuri must’ve been through a lot for her to be like this, bottling everything up inside.

 

“Thank you.” Yuri spoke, still in Jessica’s warm hug; it wasn’t just for the party; it was for everything Jessica had made her feel… and she made her feel safety.

 

Jessica let out a soft chuckle to clear the mood, she was happy to have done something to make Yuri feel something positive, like being cared for… “You’re the most welcome, Yuri.” She said, as she pulled herself away softly from their embrace and wiped Yuri’s tears with her thumbs, “Let’s go and mingle with the rest, they came to celebrate your day.”

 

The pair shared a gaze and smiled at one another before heading back to where the crowd was waiting to start the party, it’s true that Yuri’s birthday took place in winter, but Jessica Jung made it a warm occasion and a gift Yuri will never forget.

 

-

 

Mrs. Kwon knocked softly on the door before walking in to wake her daughter only to find Yuri already up but still lying on her bed staring at the not-that-attractive ceiling above her.

 

Yuri noticed her mother’s existence in her room and sat up resting her back on the bedpost with her blanket still covering her lower body, she gave her mother a questioning look of “what do you want?”

 

Her mother understood that gaze and didn’t want to upset her daughter on her birthday, which she only remembered because Hyuk Jun sent a birthday package to Yuri and asked her to give it to the birthday girl.

 

“Your brother sent you a package.” Mrs. Kwon stated as she placed the medium sized carton box on the edge of the bed, “Happy birthday.”

 

Yuri eyed her mother’s moving figure until it disappeared behind the door and let out a sigh, she wished she wasn’t on such bad terms with her parents, but something in her held a grudge against them… she moved to the front and reached to get the box and sat back again in her previous position.

 

She emptied the content of the package over her resting legs; not much fell down… there was a picture of her and her brother together, a ‘happy 18th birthday’ card, and a small envelope.

 

Inside the envelope there was a personal card for a person named ‘J. Yoo’ which was a familiar name to her for the past years, and a folded hand-written letter that started with the classical “Dear Yuri”…

“happy birthday sis... I know the past years have been stressing for you, and as your older brother it was saddening me that I didn’t know what was wrong or if there was anything I can do about it, mom told me it’s just a phase, but I’m not buying it. You’re now old enough to make choices, be smarter than me; look for a part time job and try to move to a dorm if you made it to college, you’ll need space to think and discover who you are, consider this advice my birthday gift to you, be good at school, and get good grades…  if you didn’t, I’ll come back and beat you. Haha^^

 

p.s. remember my academic advisor, Mr. Yoo? He helped me a lot during my last year of school, he’s the kind of person that gives a good ear, appropriate advices, and also a good friend, if you needed someone to talk to, he’s even a better choice than me.”

 

Yuri’s lips curved into a smile; her brother was the only person out there that understood her, or at least tried his best to do so, he was her only friend until Jessica came along…

 

 Her phone vibrated on her night stand, it was none other than her highness, Jessica… Yuri smiled at her phone before placing it by her ear as she pressed the ‘answer’ icon on her touch screen.

 

“Wakey, wakey, birthday girl.” Jessica cheered through the other end, and Yuri couldn’t help but flinch at how loud the voice was and let out a small chuckle…

 

“I’m already up, Princess.” Yuri replied.

 

“Why?” Jessica asked, “It’s still early, I thought I’ll be the first one to hear you y morning voice.”

 

Yuri rolled her eyes at the snarky comment, and chose to not answer it, “Hyuk Jun sent me a birthday package, and mom’s noise woke me up.”

 

“Awww, how sweet!” Jessica replied, her tone was definitely cringe-worthy, “I like your brother already, can’t wait to meet him.”

 

“And who said you were going to meet him?”

 

“I did. Family decided to go to California during this break, wanna come?” she asked, and her tone didn’t gave away any hint of joking.

 

“Excuse me?!” was all the Yuri could say, Jessica’s ‘offer’ was kind of unexpected.

 

“Yeah. I actually called to ask you that; Talk your parents into coming with us and you’ll get to see your brother.” Jessica tempted, she knew Yuri has been missing her brother a lot ever since he left.

 

“Are you serious?” Yuri asked once more, Jessica wasn’t the pranky type… but maybe the princess was practicing this type of humor.

 

“Gosh Yuri!” Jessica blurted, “I’m serious, if you don’t believe me I’ll have my parents contact yours for this.”

 

And so they did, the Jung family was pretty known in the neighborhood as the good filthy-rich family with two perfect beautiful daughters, and Mr. and Mrs. Kwon didn’t find a problem in allowing Yuri to go and see her brother for a change; after all the Jung offered to pay all expenses.

 

It seemed so surreal, but everything was settled.

 

-

 

Jessica sat on Yuri’s bed while the latter was stuffing clothes into her bag, she came over to check if Yuri needed anything since it was the first time for her to travel abroad unlike Jessica, and it was also the first Christmas for Yuri to spend away from home.

 

“Is that You and Hyuk Jun when you were kids?” Jessica said as she grabbed the edge of the picture frame that took residence on Yuri’s night stand, “You guys look so cute.”

 

Yuri simply gave a faint smile as a reply and continued her activity, Jessica’s eyes roam around the room and scanned the surroundings, she got up and reached for a notebook on Yuri’s desk; it was buried among other books and notebooks on the tanned girl’s study.

 

“Yuri’s diary?” She read, and quickly felt the object withdrawing from between her fingers, “Hey! I was Just seeing what it was.”

 

Yuri held onto her diary tightly and gave Jessica an apologetic look, “Sorry.” She said, “I forgot to put that in place, feel free to see anything else.”

 

“Oh, Kwon Yuri.” Jessica said in a playful tone, “You must have quite a secret hidden in there.. a guy you like, maybe?”

 

Yuri let out a chuckle and was relieved that her action didn’t bother Jessica much, “Nothing of that sort.” She answered simply, “If there was, I’d tell you.”

 

“Really?” Jessica asked, “you never showed interest in anyone before? Not even the cuties you hung with last year, your brother’s friends?”

 

“nah... those guys are like brothers to me.” Yuri replied, “each and every one.”

 

“Maybe one of them liked you…” Jessica added, “who knows? You features are attractive, generally speaking.”

 

Yuri was in the middle of folding a piece of clothing when she stopped suddenly, it wasn’t acceptable for her to hear Jessica saying that; the idea itself made her uncomfortable, and her face showed it.

 

Jessica thought she might have crossed a line here somewhere, because it was clear that something bothered Yuri even though she couldn’t figure out what it was exactly...

 

“Sorry.” Jessica simply said, “too personal?”

 

“it’s not that.” Yuri replied, “It’s just that I… I don’t enjoy these topics.”

 

“Okay.” Jessica said and went back to sit on Yuri’s bed, trying to regain her expressions from before, like it’s all okay; but she felt pushed away.

 

Yuri caught a glint of disappointment in the blonde’s hazel eyes, and let out a long sigh, was this really needed? It just killed the mood.

 

-

 

Jessica couldn’t sleep that night, she couldn’t stop thinking of why Yuri is so closed up like that, she didn’t want to push it, but she really cared for the girl, and she wanted to be let in.

 

It already passed 2am, and she has been in bed since midnight, a long sigh escaped her lungs, she tried to divert her attention to the ceiling but her phone vibrated with a text message.

 

“I’m sorry about today Jessica, I’m just not good with expressing things sometimes, and I do trust you. I’ve been hurt a lot in the past, and it didn’t really heal; with time I’m sure we can fix this, I trust that we will. –Yuri”

 

Jessica smiled at the text, Yuri too couldn’t sleep, and it was like she listened to her thoughts from Just now, can a person really do that?, her thoughts were interrupted with another vibration of the phone in hand.

 

“You’re probably asleep and will read this in the morning, so... Good morning, eat a good breakfast before you come to school and don’t forget to pack the history assignment, it’s due today. –Yuri”

 

Jessica smiled once more, and felt her heart and mind at ease… she slept like a baby the rest of that night.