Chapter 6

Make It The Right Fifty

 

Yuri and Tiffany once more drove to the crowded airport, only this time it was to pick Jessica up, not drop her off; the latter came for a visit during spring break and was excited about hanging with her friends.

 

“I told mom and dad I’ll be staying with you guys at the dorm.” Said Jessica, she was in the back seat while Yuri drove and Tiffany occupied the seat beside her, “I always wanted to try sleeping in a dormitory, you said Taeyeon was out of town, right?”

 

“Yeah.” Tiffany replied, “She went to visit her family during this break, you can sleep in her room if you’d like; she won’t mind.”

 

“You guys wanna go shopping?” Yuri asked suddenly, her eyes were fixed on the road, “I heard a new mall just opened near our dorm, I can take you there during the weekend!”

 

“sure, but- ” Jessica said but got interrupted,

 

“I’m not gonna carry your stuff.” Yuri joked, “You shop with Tiffany and I’ll be getting myself a coffee or something while you guys finish.”

 

“Ha ha, she got you there Jessi!” Tiffany chuckled, “plus, it’s about time she stops spoiling you.”

 

“Hey! I’m not spoiled.” Jessica pouted and crossed her arms like a kid; she pretended to be mad and looked outside the window with her chin up.

 

Yuri and Tiffany stared at one another and burst in laughter; if Jessica’s actions said anything, then it would be saying the exact opposite.

 

“Just leave her alone, Fany.” Yuri said, trying to stop laughing, “I enjoy spoiling my princess.”

 

“What about me then?” Tiffany pouted; it became her turn to act like a kid this time, “who’ll spoil me like that?”

 

“Taeyeon.” Said both Jessica and Yuri, and Tiffany got flustered at their quick answer. “You’re basically her wife.” Jessica added.

 

Jessica moved to the centre of the backseat, and placed her elbows on the edge of the front seats, she brought her face closer to Tiffany’s side, “and speaking of which, how are you surviving without her?” Jessica teased.

 

Tiffany felt her face getting warmer and she exhaled a reasonable amount of hot air but failed to hide her embarrassment of her friend’s constant comments about her and Taeyeon; Jessica was the only one who knew about the nature of her feelings towards the older girl.

 

“I’ve been well.” Tiffany answered as composed as she could, “Yuri’s been keeping me company.”

 

Two could play this game, and Tiffany intended to make Jessica jealous… “She’s been sleeping over whenever Taeyeon went out.”

 

“What are you? Nine years old?” Jessica asked, Yuri had her attention on the road rather than on the annoying due; she was used to them quarreling like that, “She’s already next door, why are you making her sleep with you?”

 

Tiffany smiled in victory and inched closer to Jessica, “getting jealous, are we?” she whispered.

 

Jessica immediately looked at Yuri’s side and noticed that the latter was too focused on driving to hear Tiffany’s comment, she slapped Tiffany’s shoulder jokingly before going back to her regular position and admitted defeat; Tiffany too was the only one who knew about the nature of her feelings towards Yuri.

 

-

 

Yuri kept her promise and took her two friends out shopping, she ditched them as she had planned, but even with that, she began to regret it.

 

“Next time, I’ll be only taking one of you.” Yuri whined, though she skipped on helping the two in their shopping rounds, it turned out the Tiffany was just as worse, and she ended up carrying a huge weight of shopping bags in both hands, “I won’t even offer.”

 

“We all know you’ll be taking me next time Yuri.” Tiffany joked, “I’m less bad than her highness over there.”

 

Jessica walked besides her friends empty handed like Tiffany, she wanted to glare at the latter but decided to keep her eyes on where she was walking to; Yuri had to park across the street because the parking lot was filled with cars.

 

“Well, you’re both equally ba—TIFFANY LOOK OUT!!” Yuri shouted and forcefully grabbed Tiffany’s wrist and pulled her back; the latter was busy joking that she didn’t notice a car was coming at her direction while crossing the road.

 

Yuri growled in pain and cursed under her breath; her sudden movement caused them to fall on down hard due to the lack of balance, her on the ground and Tiffany on top of her.

 

“God! You okay?” Yuri said before pulling Tiffany and herself up from the ground, she took a careless look at the shopping bags she dropped for a second before returning her attention to Tiffany, “are you hurt anywhere?”

 

Tiffany froze in place as Yuri started inspecting her body for wounds, a little squeeze on her shoulder, them another on her arm… Jessica just stood there and watched the scene before her in silence.

 

“Are you okay?” Yuri repeated. Her hands placed on Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

Tiffany shook her head a little and got back to realization, “Yeah, I’m fine… are you okay?” she said, and started doing the same actions to Yuri, and luckily they were both unharmed.

 

Yuri started picking the shopping bags up and the due decided to help. “Be careful when you cross the street next time.” She said, and Tiffany simply nodded in reply.

 

The three crossed the street and got into Yuri’s car, and as the latter started driving she paid her whole attention to the road while her two friends had one thing in mind; “was Yuri totally okay with physical contact just now?”

 

-

 

Yuri placed her MP3’s headphones on and laid on the surface beneath her, she was indulging herself as she had always named it, hanging on the rooftop of their students’ housing building was one of the things she did often as a practice… something suggested by Jason for her to do whenever she felt herself developing negative energy of some sort.

 

She wasn’t feeling negative to be precise but having Jessica around always felt like a blessing and a burden at the same time, she couldn’t get a hold of what that feeling was, but she wanted to leave… she told her friends that she has an engagement and will be back later.

 

Yuri started moving her head slowly to the beat that played its way inside her ears and started to sing along…

 

“Made a wrong turn,

Once or twice,

Dug my way out,

Blood and fire,

Bad decisions,

That’s alright,

Welcome to my silly life…

 

-

 

“I don’t get this.” Jessica said, “I’m here, you’re here, Yoona’s here, and Taeyeon’s out of town.”

 

Tiffany sat up and rested her head on the bedpost, she looked at Jessica who was playing with her desk chair going back and forth in her room, “don’t get what?”

 

“What engagement would Yuri have this time of night?” Jessica stopped her movement near the door and stared at Tiffany to ask, “Does she have anyone but us to engage with?”

 

“Jesus, just chill Jessi.” Tiffany replied, “It’s not even that late… it’s 9:40 at night.”

 

 “How can I chill when I don’t know who’s she with right now?” Jessica replied –rather loud- and pushed herself with the chair towards Tiffany’s bed, “This is Yuri we’re talking about, remember?”

 

Tiffany hung her head back and let out a heavy sigh, she didn’t know if she should share her latest discovery with Jessica or not, since it wasn’t really her business.

 

“She’s been doing this for a while.” Tiffany said. Her head back in its usual position and eyes looking at Jessica, “going out at night, having lunch god knows where during break, coming home late.”

 

Jessica swallowed the lump and and her face held no expressions, “And?”

 

“I didn’t want to be the person who tells you this.” Tiffany added. “But I… uh I think she’s seeing someone.”

 

“Yuri doesn’t date. How on earth did you reach that conclusion?” Jessica asked in hopes for Tiffany to not have a good answer to that question; she wished it was just a blind assumption.

 

“She’s been playing a lot with her phone during class… I looked at it once and she was chatting with some guy by the looks of it.”

 

And there it was; Tiffany’s assumption wasn’t based on nothing… Jessica inhaled a deep breath, and asked once more; “Who was it?”

 

“I can’t remember, it was months ago!” Tiffany replied, she was starting to feel bad about telling her friend this, but if there was anyone who had the right to know about Yuri’s status, it was Jessica Jung.

 

Months?!”

 

“I’m sorry Jessi, I didn’t think I have the right to tell you about this before… his name was J-something; Jack, John… I can’t remember.”

 

Jessica felt her insides breaking into pieces, not only was the girl she liked allegedly dating, but as a friend; she expected Yuri to tell her about this.

 

“Good night, Tiffany.”