11

Sun Showers

 

Jongdae frantically looked through his pack for the fifth time hoping to find the blanket. Where did it go? Dammit I thought I packed it in the black plastic bag. I remember telling Yeol to put it in… Jongdae stopped realizing his mistake. He wouldn’t …. he didn’t… he better not have…

Jongdae flung his pack to the ground and shouted curses at his friend “PARK CHANYEOL YOU ARE SO DEAD!!”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Far on the other side of the mountain, said Park Chanyeol let out two sneezes in quick succession.

“Woah don’t tell me you’re already getting sick!” said Baekhyun as he moved away from his partner. “You know germs gross me out.”

“Ehhh nah! I’m feeling fine. It must’ve been some dust or something in my nose.” Mumbled Yeol as he rubbed his nose.

“All right good! Let’s go find a place to make camp tonight. The sun is setting and who knows what’s out in these woods.” Said Baek nervously looking around the dense forest.

“Don’t worry about it! There are probably just some deer, rabbits, bears and some hungry lions…” grinned Chanyeol as he watched Baek start to grow frightened.

“DON’T SAY THAT!” Baek shouted as he hit Chanyeol on the shoulder. “I’m too young and beautiful to be eaten by animals. And anyways if there really were animals out here you would die too!”

“Nah. I’ll survive. I just have to run faster than YOU!” commented Chanyeol as he dodged Baekhyun’s punches.

“I hate you!” muttered Baek as he started to walk up the trail. “I wish I was partnered up Jongdae or Lay or anyone really instead of you, you dumb oaf!”

“Hey noww! You should consider yourself lucky to get me Baekkie!” replied Chanyeol as he ran to catch up with his partner. “And how come you don’t want to be with Soo? Lovers quarrel?”

“Psh no! I just wouldn’t want Soo to see me all dirty and gross in the mornings! It’s embarrassing you know! And Coach didn’t even let me bring my eyeliner” groaned Baek. He covered his face with his hands. “I’m not going to wash my face for a whole week! Thank god I used waterproof eyeliner so it should stay on for a while!”

“Hahaha dude that’s gross and anyways you shouldn’t wear eyeliner. Your morning face is good enough to scare away any animals that bother us,” said Chanyeol laughing.

“Shut up you dumb giant!” yelled Baek “Ugh let’s just go before I murder you!”

Chanyeol grinned and started to run up the trail yelling, “This is going to be fun!”

An hour later the sun had already set and Baek was exhausted. They hadn’t been able to find a good place to make camp and Baek felt like his bag was getting heavier and heavier with each step that he took.

“Hey look over there!” shouted Chanyeol.

Baek looked up to see that his partner had climbed up a couple of rocks and was pointing to something in the distance.

Baek looked to see where he was pointing at and it took him a few seconds for his eyes to adjust to the darkness but he finally saw what had caught Yeol’s eye. A cabin?

“Is that a cabin?” questioned Baek as Chanyeol started to climb down to meet him.

“Yeah man! I guess it’s our lucky day. NO TENTS!” yelled Chanyeol in excitement. “Let’s go!”

“Uhhh are you sure about this? What if someone’s there!” whispered Baek as they started to walk towards the cabin. “You know this is how all horror movies start out right?”

“Ehh don’t be such a wuss! I didn’t see any light or anything so it’s probably abandoned! Or maybe its like one of those rest stops for hikers!” replied Chanyeol as he grabbed Baek’s arm pulling him towards the cabin.

Baek sighed but he let himself be dragged to the cabin. I’m so dead.

When they got to the cabin, Chanyeol sneaked over and peeked through one of the windows while Baek hid behind a large rock. Chanyeol looked back and gave a thumbs up, signaling that it was empty.

“All right! This is awesome!” yelled Chanyeol as he opened the unlocked door. He surveyed the small room. It looked like it hadn’t been used for a while since it was dusty but there were two wooden beds, a fireplace and a small table.

Chanyeol glanced back at Baek who was still hiding behind the rock. “Come on Baekkie. The coast is clear so stop being a big baby!”

Baek grunted as he started to make his way to the cabin. If this is going to be like a horror movie I am so dead. The handsome ones always die first thought Baek sadly as he stepped inside the cabin. It’s my fault anyways … for being so easily persuaded. I would be stuck with the person that thinks a deserted cabin in the middle of a forest is the best thing ever Baekhyun thought as watched the giant smile on Chanyeol’s face. This is not going to end well. Soo baby good-bye!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyungsoo’s ears started to redden as he leaned over and tried yet again to start a fire. Goddamit! How hard can this be! Jong-in always did it so fast!

As if reading his mind, Jongdae grumbled “Jong-in would’ve had this fire ready hours ago. I thought you guys used to go camping all the time!”

Kyungsoo turned to glare at the other boy “HEY we did okay? We-we just split up the work. Jong-in was in charge of setting up camp and stuff while I was in charge of the map, cooking, fishing and and many other important things!”

“So basically you were in charge of things anyone could do,” replied Jongdae sarcastically as he sat down next to Kyungsoo. “Here let me try!”

“Noo! Stop! I can do it. Actually no we don’t even need a fire really! It’s not that cold out!” said Kyungsoo defensively.

“You can’t be serious! We have to cook food to eat you know?” said Jongdae in disbelief. “You would rather us starve then to admit that you can’t make a fire?”

“Okay don’t be so dramatic! We are not going to starve! We can eat those crackers and granola bars for tonight!” said Kyungsoo as he held up the bag of food.

“No we are going to make a fire. It’s going to get cold at night and I don’t have my thermal blanket with me!” said Jongdae as he reached over again to grab the flint and steel set.

Kyungsoo stood up and put the fire starter set in his pocket. “No!” he replied stubbornly. “We don’t need it tonight! Don’t be a baby!”

Jongdae closed his eyes and tried to stop himself from beating the crap out of Kyungsoo. I seriously am going too.. sigh I am way too tired for this.

“Fine!” replied Jongdae angrily. “Whatever man I can’t handle this. I’m way too tired to fight with you right now! I’m going to sleep!” He walked over to the tent and started to get his sleeping bag ready. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and felt his contact lens slide around. Ugh god I have to wait for him to go to sleep before taking off these things.

“You go to sleep first,” said Kyungsoo quietly from outside the tent. “I’m going to check around the area just to see where we are on the map!”

Jongdae poked his head out of the tent. “Alone? In the dark?”

Kyungsoo laughed, “Yes dummy  because I’m not a scaredy cat like ahem someone! And anyways we have a flashlight”

Jongdae frowned “Fine be that way. I hope you get eaten by a bear!” He zipped up the tent entrance and folded his arms pouting.

Kyungsoo chucked at Jongdae’s words. “You know there isn’t anything out here right? This part of the area doesn’t have any dangerous wildlife.”

Kyungsoo waited for a response but Jongdae just grunted and continued to ignore him. Kyungsoo smiled to himself as he walked towards the small river. He looked up at the night sky and looked for his favorite star. It looks even brighter if that’s even possible he thought as he turned off his flashlight and stared up in silence. He took a deep breath, inhaling nature’s scent. It was peaceful and comforting to be away from other people sometimes. He started to walk around their campsite getting familiar with the surroundings. He must’ve been gone for only a half an hour but by the time he got back Kyungsoo could hear Jongdae softly snoring. He quietly opened the tent entrance and saw that the other boy had zipped the sleeping bag to the top and was curled in a fetal position. Kyungsoo quietly giggled but then he saw Jongdae slightly tremble. Jongdae curled up even tighter and Kyungsoo could tell that the boy was cold.

He really was telling the truth. Prissy little boy gets cold so easily Kyungsoo thought as he closed the tent quietly. The night air was cool but Kyungsoo was used to this and he had worn the thermal leggings that he had bought for his previous hikes. He looked up at the stars again and sighed to himself. After a few minutes he slowly took out the flint and steel and crouched over the pit he had made earlier. This better work he thought as he started trying to make a small fire Jong-in showed me how to do this so many times! I need to make this fire! Dammit Jong-in where are you when I need you?

~~~~~~~~

Jong-in scrunched up his face as his nose started to itch. He thought he was going to sneeze but thankfully it went away after a few seconds. He leaned back and warmed his hands over the large fire that he had made in front of the tent. He glanced over as Lay started to clean up the plates from dinner. Lay had somehow managed to make delicious rice porridge with bits of dried meat in it. Jong-in was stuffed but he walked over to help Lay.

“Oh you don’t need to do that Jong-in. I got it” said Lay when Jong-in bent down to help. “Just go rest! You did so much already!”

Jong-in smiled and ignored Lay as he started to clean the plates. “Don’t worry about it Lay, it was easy and come on you cooked an amazing dinner!”

Lay blushed slightly at the compliment and shook his head. “Please all I did was cook. You did all the heavy lifting.”

Jong-in chuckled. It was true that he had set up the tent and the fire and carried most of their equipment but Jong-in didn’t mind doing any of it. He smiled and ruffled Lay’s hair. “And that’s all I’m going to be useful for. You know how bad I am with directions!”

Lay laughed “We make a good team then I guess! You can be the brawn and I’ll be the brains!”

“Agreed. I even think you’re a better brain than Kyungsoo, but don’t tell him I said that!” replied Jong-in with a wink. Even though he was a bit sad to be separated from Jongdae and Soo he was glad that Lay was his partner. Lay was kind and soft-spoken and sometimes Jong-in needed a rest from all the bickering and madness that their other friends would bring.

“Hahaha speaking of which how do you think Jongdae and Soo are doing? Do you think they’ve killed each other yet?” giggled Lay.

“Hopefully not! But you know I can’t confidently say that Jongdae won’t strangle Soo in his sleep.” Replied Jong-in. “God I hope those two are okay! Jongdae doesn’t look like he’s cut out for camping and Kyungsoo isn’t really good with the camping essentials”

“Hmmm I think they’ll be fine. If you look past the fighting and insults those two suit each other in some ways.” Said Lay thoughtfully.

“I guess” said Jong-in. “but sometimes Kyungsoo doesn’t know when to stop joking around with Jongdae you know?”

He waited for a reply but when it was silent he glanced over to see Lay looking at him with a curious expression. “w-what? Is there something on my face?”

“No nothing like that. It’s just I always notice that you always take Jongdae’s side whenever they argue.”

“What? N-no I don’t!” stuttered Jong-in. “Kyungsoo is my best friend of course I would support him!”

“I know I know but you never really join in on the teasing with Kyungsoo and you normally do.” Replied Lay noting how nervous Jong-in looked. “Anyways forget about it! You’re right sometimes even I want to punch Soo in the face with his jokes!”

Jong-in sighed internally with relief when Lay dropped the topic. Whew that was close.

Later that night as they laid down in the tent with their sleeping bags Jong-in was close to falling asleep when Lay suddenly asked “Hey Jong-in what do you think of Kris?”

“Kris? What do you mean?” replied Jong-in rolling over to look at Lay.

“No I mean what do you think of him in general? You don’t really have classes with him or share any interests.”

“Uhh he’s cool I mean he is our friend and even though I don’t talk to him as much as you or Lu and Xiu do….I like him!”

“Yeah I think so too. He is really good looking though! Jongdae certainly thinks so” said Lay as he looked at Jong-in.

“U-uh yeah I mean he-he’s really good looking uh I guess?” mumbled Jong-in not meeting Lay’s eyes.

“Yeah I think they would make a cute couple don’t you think?” continued Lay

Jong-in almost choked before regaining his composure. “Ummmm yeah f-for sure! I mean if Kris likes Jongdae.”

Lay silently giggled as he watched Jong-in squirm in his sleeping bag. “Oh he does! He hasn’t said anything but can’t you tell how he looks at him and stuff? How he gets red and nervous whenever Jongdae’s name is brought up?”

Jong-in had started sweating in the sleeping bag and hoped that Lay didn’t notice the fact that his face was now red. “O-oh he does? I-I haven’t noticed.”

“Hmm yeah he does. I guess it won’t be long before they start going out!” concluded Lay as he rolled over on to the other side. Lay was about to burst out laughing as he saw how uncomfortable Jong-in had become. Poor Jong-in, so adorable and awkward. Maybe I’m too mean sometimes but at least now I know for sure.

Amongst their group of friends Lay was always the quietest but he was the sharpest. He preferred to just observe the crazy antics of his friends and make note of their behavior. He had started to notice how Jong-in acted around Jongdae ever since Teacher’s appreciation day. He thought that maybe it was a one-time thing but then he started to pay close attention to their interactions and he noted how the tips of Jong-in’s ears would always get red whenever Jongdae talked to him or how he never joined in when the others teased Jongdae. Lay was never quick to make assumptions but seeing how nervous Jong-in was tonight when Lay brought up Jongdae and Kris, he knew that Jong-in had a crush on Jongdae. And apparently it’s a big one Lay thought. He closed his eyes and bid good night to Jong-in who sighed in relief.

This is going to be interesting. 

 

 

 

 

 

Authors note:

Sorry no SeTao in this chapter! There wasn't any room but next chapter will be have SeTao goodness since i love these two together! 

Comment comment comment :) Let me know what you think! 

Also once again, I apologize for my grammer mistakes! Maybe one day I'll go through all my chapters and see if I can fix anything but let me know if there are any glaring mistakes!