10

Sun Showers

 

It had been five hours since they had gotten on the bus and Jongdae felt like he was going to throw up any second. Lay had given him one of those car sickness pills before they got on the bus but Jongdae didn’t think that was doing him any good. He glanced at Baek who was leaning on him and envied the other boy for being able to sleep so soundly almost anywhere. A wave of nausea washed over him so he closed his eyes and leaned out of the window. Coach Park, their chaperone, had warned them to not stick any part of their body out the window in case they get hit by oncoming vehicles or tree branches but Jongdae was dying inside the small hot bus. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath, inhaling the morning mist that had enveloped the mountainside. It had been drizzling when they left the campus but now the skies had cleared, welcoming the sun. Water droplets slowly dried up or rolled down the leaves of trees or the hood of the bus. The air, the trees, the rocks and the ground smelled fresh and clean after the rain had washed away all impurities. This was why Jongdae loved the rainy season. He smiled to himself as he took another deep breath. He was starting to feel better. Ah finally! I thought I was gonna suffocate in there. Hopefully the Coach won’t see….

“Jongdae’s sticking his head out of the window Coach! I thought that wasn’t allowed!” interrupted Kyungsoo leaning over to point at Jongdae.

“Get your head back inside this instant Kim Jongdae or else you’re going to be on latrine duty for the trip!” bellowed the Coach glaring at Jongdae, who had now sheepishly stuck his head back inside.

“Sorry coach!” Jongdae mumbled as he leaned back in his seat slowly turning red. “Thanks a lot DumbSoo.” He slowly whispered to his nemesis who was grinning back at him.

“It was for your own good. I didn’t want my future husband’s head to get chopped off by any cars,” replied Kyungsoo innocently. “It was for your own good baby.” He said with a smile that Jongdae thought only the devil could make.

Jongdae rolled his eyes and turned away to face the window. He had thought that maybe Kyungsoo would have still been mad at them after he had walked away the previous night but he seemed to have reverted back to his old infuriating self. He had greeted Jongdae by throwing a piece of toast at his head this morning and Jongdae secretly wished that he had stuffed Kyungsoo into the trunk of Luhan, Xiumin, Suho and Kris’s bus which was going to the other side of France.

Ugh how am I gonna survive the wilderness and him for a month! Thought Jongdae, holding his breath so that he wouldn’t vomit all over the sleeping Baek.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After another ten hours, two pit stops, three episodes of vomiting and five threats on Kyungsoo’s life, the bus driver finally announced that they had arrived at the campsite. Jongdae was delirious and Baek had to almost carry him out of the bus.

“Come on Jongdae! We’re finally here! Stop being lazy.” Said Baek cheerfully. Jongdae stared at his so called best friend and wanted to make a rude comment about how he had basically been Baek’s pillow for the past 15 hours. He started to slowly walk over to get his bags when the Coach blew his whistle to get everyone’s attention.

“All right listen up ladies! Just cause we aren’t on the bus anymore doesn’t mean it’s time to rest or relax. This month’s all about survival and I don’t plan to teach you much about it because, well, everyone needs to learn the hard way!” said Coach looking at the group of confused, tired and somewhat frightened 9th grade boys.

“We’re going to split up into pairs and I’m gonna drop each pair off at a location somewhere in the park! We’re all going to meet at the main base camp in a week. It’s gonna be your job to make your way to the base camp. Don’t look at me like a bunch of sissies. There are no wild animals in the park, I think and even if there were you could easily scare them off with a little bit of fire and noise. Leave your luggage and come and grab one of these packs. It has everything you need but because I’m so nice I’ll give you 1 minute to grab anything you want from your pack to keep. Now go!

Everyone froze for a few second after Coach had literally sentenced them to a week of torture but they all started running for the packs when they realized he wasn’t joking. Jongdae didn’t even know what was actually happening until Yeol threw Jongdae’s bag at him telling him to hurry up. Jongdae quickly looked through his bag unsure of what he needed Flashlight? Uhhh first aid kit? Mosquito repellant? Uhhh what am I supposed to need? My sweater? Doritos? Uhhh chocolate? Coach shouted that there was 30 seconds left so Jongdae just started to grab random things from his bag and stuffed it into his new pack hoping that he had grabbed the essentials.

After everyone had finished or had been yelled at by Coach for trying to take more stuff, they waited anxiously for their partner assignments. Jongdae hoped that he got Jong-in who looked like he knew what he was doing. Jong-in had promised to keep Jongdae from dying of starvation and Jongdae had been counting on that promise.

“All right so I’ve picked out the pairs. I used the roster so it won’t be difficult”

Jongdae grinned when he heard this. He knew Jong-in was the next name after his own. He smiled happily when he caught Jong-in’s eye and Jong-in gave him a thumbs up. Sadly that happiness was short lived. “Because I don’t want you to be with people you normally are with, we are going to skip the person next to your name and partner you with the next person.”

A soft murmur broke out amongst the students as they tried to figure out who were their partners. Jongdae groaned in despair. He didn’t need to look at the list, he knew who his partner was.

“Well well well I guess we were meant to be,” said Kyungsoo slyly as he draped his arm over Jongdae’s shoulder. “Don’t worry I’ll protect you.” He said with a wink.

Sigh the world is out to get me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

To make matters even worse Jongdae and Kyungsoo were the last ones to be dropped off which meant that they were the farthest ones from the base camp. He blamed Kyungsoo for his bad luck but he also knew that he wasn’t one of the Coach’s favorites unlike Jong-in or Sehun. The first day of gym Jongdae had somehow managed to hit the Coach on the head with a soccer ball and had suffered ever since. He would always make Jongdae collect all the equipment and gather the towels after class. If it wasn’t for Jong-in and all, Jongdae would have spent most of his time in the locker rooms cleaning and preparing for life as a custodian.

Sighing he tried to not gag from being so car sick and almost jumped in relief when the bus stopped and the Coach told them to get off. He picked up his pack and got off the bus while Kyungsoo got the map and compass from the Coach.

Coach gave them a sarcastic wave before driving off and Jongdae swore that he hear the Coach laughing, probably from their misery. He glanced over at Kyungsoo who was fiddling with the compass. He probably gave us a broken one thought Jongdae groaning. Kyungsoo was probably the Coach’s second least favorite but that was normal for Kyungsoo. None of the teachers really liked Kyungsoo since he would always sleep or disrupt the class in some way. He never turned in his homework and the only thing that kept him from failing the class were his stellar exam grades. They would’ve accused him of cheating but he always sat next to Jong-in during exams and Jong-in wasn’t very bright.

“aha! I got it!” yelled Kyungsoo in glee as he looked over at Jongdae. “Damn compass thinks its better than me but I showed him who’s boss.”

“Ugh let’s just go make a campsite,” said Jongdae walking past Kyungsoo “It’s almost dark and I’m hungry.”

“Tsk tsk tsk you never appreciate me, “ said Kyungsoo with mock sadness as he ran over to Jongdae. “Anyways let’s set the rules!”

“What do you mean rules?” asked Jongdae preparing for another speech on how awesome Kyungsoo thought he was.

Kyungsoo grinned and said: “Well since I am stronger and manlier and more handsome.. and cooler..” Jongdae groaned and started to walk away.

“Whaaattt! I was just saying the truth. I think I should be leader cause I would make the better leader.” Yelled Kyungsoo from behind me.

“Why do we even need to make a leader! There are only two of us!” yelled Jongdae as he turned back in frustration.

“Because,” said Kyungsoo as he walked over to Jongdae. “I’ll protect you!” He tried to give him a seductive smile and groaned in pain as Jongdae kicked him in the shin.

“Owwww! Sheesh can’t even take a joke!” Kyungsoo said as he rubbed his leg.

“Stop joking and let’s go pitch our tents!” grumbled Jongdae as he started to make his way to a little clearing near a small river. “I’m not going to help you with yours you dummy!”

Kyungsoo snickered “You do realize that we only have one tent right?”

Jongdae looked back at him with a confused expression. “What do you mean? Don’t you have one of those makeshift tents in your backpack?”

“No. I have the food and the sleeping bags in mine. Didn’t you realize that we had to share everything! That’s the point of camping in pairs. We need to learn how to survive together.” Said Kyungsoo grinning widely.

“Oh god kill me nowwww!” groaned Jongdae as he started to set up the tent. Atleast I grabbed the thermal blanket that Mom sent me so I won’t freeze to death. Jongdae had made sure to grab the plastic bag with the warm fuzzy blanket from his pack during the 1 minute the coach gave them. He always got cold very easily so he knew a sleeping bag wouldn’t be enough for him. Sighing he walked over to his backpack ignoring Kyungsoo who was trying and failing to start a proper camp fire. He grabbed the plastic bag happily because he knew the thermal blanket would make him feel better but when he opened the bag his jaw dropped as his eyes met a pile of bright fuzzy orange thermal underwear.

 

I’m not going to make it. Kim Jong-in SAVE ME! 

 

 

Authors note:

Okay first part of the annual trip is up! the next chapter will have more chensoo but also stories about BaekYeol, Jong/Lay and SeTao! 

It's a bit cliche that these two get partnered up together but it's fate :P LOL 

Comments and opinions are always appreciated :)

* EDIT: Sorry for making the story subscribers only. I'm new to AFF so I was just fooling around with the settings! BUT I FIXED IT NOW! now anyone can read it :) but i'd love to have more subscribers or comments teeheheheh