Young Reader

Lost Heroine

"Is it okay for me to read this book?" a young girl asked her grandmother informally. The old lady across the room sitting on the sofa, muted the television and gazed at the young girl's back with an unreadable expression. "Why, you don't like it?" she asked her as if she was offended that her own granddaughter didn't like the book she wrote. "Not really." the little one responded like a professional. "I'm four." she added because it seemed as if her grandmother forgot that information. "And I'm sixty-one, I'm not supposed to work but since I need to raise you, I have to. I'm not that old to forget how old you are." she remarked. "Even though you forgot the page where you stopped last night for my bedtime story." the little one chuckled. The elder sighed as she rolled her eyes. Her granddaughter's memory is almost flawless plus she raised a child with a straightforward personality. "You can hurt me all day Yeon Soo but that would mean you won't get any strawberries from me tonight."

Yeon Soo pouted and decided to keep shut. She continued reading the book which was about a grandmother having no one to rely to but her grandchild. The story starts how the grandmother loved her job so much that she never cared about anything or anybody, not even her own husband. However, the sight of her daughter's child caused a spark in her. "Grandma, do you think it's possible that stories are made based on real life experience?" she asked while keeping her eyes shut to imagine it. Her grandmother shook her head as she turned off the television. "Your vocabulary has already advanced to the point I'm not even sure if I'm talking to a little kid." she commented. "Who's fault do you think that is?" the child grazed the cover of the book with her little fingers. There was something similar with the smoothness of the cover between all her grandmother's other books like a signature made that was only centering her as the author.

The last lines of the book confused her. "If there was a chance for me to break this curse, I would pour this antidote to the bitter end. I know that it's long, difficult and unfair but it must be you to replace me as my heir." Yeon Soo closed the book gently and tried to sleep on it. "Would you like broccolis for tonight?", her grandmother asked. "Don't forget your special sauce, please." Yeon Soo smiled, her dimples showing. "Don't forget to put that back." her grandmother reminded her as she went back to the kitchen. "I won't." she closed her eyes as she tries to reimagine the story in her head.

The little girl carefully placed down her utensils and wiped with tissue. "Thank you for the meal." she got down from her seat and proceeded upstairs. "When will my parents come back?" she asked inside her head as she walked towards her bedroom. "Why doesn't Grandma tell me the truth. I already know they'll never take me again." She stopped in her tracks as she found another box lurking in the corner. Her eyes shimmered as she gasped, "More books..." She ran with her light feet, mindful of the noise she might make. "Tip toe tip toe carefu, don't you make a sound. Grandma says don't run around~" she sang to herself. Yeon Soo smiled from ear to ear when the box was indeed full of books. She looked back to check if her grandmother was watching before she could grab herself a book before dashing to her room.

As she closed her door, she jumped up to her bed and covered her face. "Got one!" she exclaimed. "Now what do we have here..." she started grazing the cover of the book as well with her fingers. It has become a habit to her to feel her grandmother's work. Her eyes sparkled at the lovely title, "Lost Heroine..." she began skimming it as fast as she can to analyze some of its contents. Being a writer's granddaughter has its perks. In a few seconds, Yeon Soo's eyes gradually increased in size. "A fairytale?? Grandma never wrote a fairytale before?" she shut the book that made a large sound, her heart almost jumped at the possibility of her grandmother hearing it.

"Calm yourself, Yeon Soo." she told herself before slowly opening the first page. "Pretty font..." she whispered. BAM! Her grandmother slammed the door open to witness something she should've been wary about. The little girl almost peed herself from fright. "You're not allowed to read that, Yeon Soo." the grandmother scolded her as she reached out to grab the book. "But why-" the child almost wept. "You can read all the books in this house. Heck, you can even read the ones that are not for children but you are forbidden to read this book, my dear." the elder avoided her gaze. "I don't understand..." the child's voice quiver as she grabs her feet anxiously. "I'll tell you when you're older." the grandmother closed the door on her without looking back. Yeon Soo tried to calm herself by falling asleep. She pulled the covers beneath her as she tried to breathe steadily. "I'm allowed to read a mature content book but I'm not allowed to read a children's book? How ironic...", she muttered. "Once I get that book, I'll bury it to the ground where it'll never see the light again. Even if I am my grandma's granddaughter." she cursed as she snuggled herslef in her blanket.