Grandmother

Lost Heroine

Play before you read~

It was 2 am. The grandmother woke up from her slumber with an unreadable expression. She removed her blanket slowly and wore her cardigan, the chills were making her upset. The house was pitch black and there was no reason not to make a noise for she lived alone. She looked around, finding something small and shiny, trying to remember where she left it. It was not until 3 minutes later that it was lying on her bed, reminding her so she wouldn't need to look for it. With an irritated sigh, she eagerly grabbed it and rushed outside.

The cab stopped at a small house but not smaller than her house. The grandmother made a long look at the house before going inside. She held on to the keys and unlocked the door. A small creak sounded when it opened, signalling her to enter. She didn't even bother removing her shoes. With soft footsteps, keeping her eyes wide open at any sudden movements, she would sneak in without waking anybody. She didn't bother turning the lights on and so she had a bit trouble trying to find her way.

Then she tripped! Her head crashed on to the stairs. Fortunately, it was carpeted. She grunted in annoyance as she rubbed her head rashly as she quietly head upstairs. There were 4 doors upstairs but only 2 rooms were being used. One of them was her target. There was one particular room that was a bit lit under the door, hinting it was the baby's room.

Her eyes blinked and her heart abruptly flipped when she flinched and looked straight at the window from the ear-piercing blast of thunder suddenly distracted her. It was uncanny enough that she entered the house in clear dark skies but accurately changed swiftly as soon as she reaches the infant's room. She sighed in relief when it almost woke the baby however the music box that was playing beside it's crib calmed her with its sweet melody.

She slowly walked towards the small one, eyeing it vaguely like a mysterious object that needs to be enclosed so that no one can steal it. The room wasn't big enough so the baby's things were not that many that were placed in drawers and transparent recyclable boxes. She grabbed as many as she can and makes room for her other arm to carry the baby but before she could hustle, she called a cab.

The grandmother made her way carefully to the stairs, deliberately not to make a sound. She gasps for air in each step she takes while she balanced both the baby and the items with her old, delicate arms as if they were melted candles. Although, as soon as she reaches at the end of the stairs, an overwhelming fear crept upon her as the loud honk of the cab, woke up the baby hence it caused the mother of the child to rise from her sleep. The sound of the door opening from upstairs made the grandmother run to avoid being seen with the baby as her hands fumbled while twisting the doorknob. All of a sudden, the mother started barking as if she knew the grandmother was the reason why the child was missing.

The old woman was able to leave the items and the baby to the cab with a stern face. She warned the driver not to mind the crying baby and from leaving with the baby while she take care of the mother. She faced her daughter, unafraid, but she made sure their business must not be in sight so she pulled her hand by force with all her strength, closed the door behind her and threw her to the floor like a drunkard smashing a wine glass carelessly.

The driver was told to ignore the crying baby but with its state, the little one might get sick from crying too much so he tried calming it a little until the child stopped crying, eyes open as it gazed at the smiling man. Not long after, the grandmother returned and when she found the baby calmed down, she bawled at the driver if he did anything with the baby. The driver gulped as he unceasingly shook his head, explaining that it got tired from crying. The elder one ignored him after as she started fanning herself with her hand. She caught him trying to catch a glimpse of her from the rear-view mirror and clicked her tongue as she commanded him to keep quiet about what happened.