"I hate you so much right now" (age 18)

18 vs 30

A short update! Yay! Hehe all of my 'age 18' chapters are short...I'm slowly running out of pics of predebut Hyun.


“Psst! Psst!” Maeri heard a hiss coming from behind her and a pencil digging into her back.

Maeri whipped her head back, her ponytail hitting her cheek. She caught sight of Woohyun with a large smile on his face. “I’m bored,” he confessed. His hand was lazily flipping through the book in front of him. Maeri wasn’t surprised. Sometimes she swore that her friend had ADHD because he was unable to sit still. And he swore that Maeri had OCD because her intense level of concentration when it came to studying, but her room was too messy for that. She must have been just a nerd.

Maeri smirked. “You’re supposed to be bored. You’re in study hall,” she harshly whispered back. “Now leave me alone, or we’ll get in…”

“Yoo Maeri,” the teacher called to her from the front of the class. The two friends automatically stiffened and sat up pin-straight in their seats. “Is there a problem? Do you have a hard time understanding the silent part of ‘Silent Study Hall’?” he threatened. This teacher in particular was known for his shrewdness and zero tolerance. He loved nothing more than to blemish a student’s near perfect record. Woohyun’s record was as spotty as a pimply teenager, but Maeri’s was near spotless save for a few tardies and sick days. So the teacher had set his sights on Yoo Maeri, waiting for her to slip up.

“No seonsaengnim,” Maeri replied with a mousy voice. She heard Woohyun scoff at her obedience. This teacher was really working on his last nerve. It wasn’t bad enough that he was forcing them to study in complete silence (or for Woohyun, just blankly staring at a page for a whole class period), but he had noticed how the teacher looked at Maeri out of the corner of his eye, like some hawk circling its prey before swooping in. Woohyun clenched his pencil in his fist. He wish that he could do something about it, but he was powerless against a teacher. It was frustrating.

He tried to take his mind off of it by actually trying to read the book in front of him. That was frustrating too. It was some play translated from a weird sort of English into Korean, which made it sound even weirder. Nothing in it made sense. It appeared to be some play about fairies in the woods, kidnapping people, and making them fall in love with each other. And one of the fairies had a head of a donkey? Or the bottom of a donkey? Or was his name ‘bottom’? Woohyun wasn’t sure at all what was going on. He looked over to his desk partner. Seungho was dead asleep and drooling on the math worksheets underneath him. Woohyun snickered. Only Seungho would be able to get away with sleeping throughout this entire period. Woohyun’s record may have been spotty like a dalmatian, but Seungho’s was almost entirely black. The study hall proctor had no interest in painting it wholly black. Seungho was already a lost cause (although who knew that Seungho would get his act together at a college that he just barely got into and later became a high-powered lawyer).

There was only one way to clean up this mess of fairies in Woohyun’s head, and it was sitting in front of him. “Psst! Maeri,” he hissed as he tugged on her ponytail.

Maeri’s hand flew to the back of her head as she whispered back, “What?”

“Maeri, I don’t understand this,” he sadly said, pointing at the pages in front of him.

Maeri looked down at the play and back up at  him. “What part?”

“All of it,” Woohyun confessed with an embarrassed giggle.

Maeri’s forehead wrinkled, and she turned around, bowing back down over her desk, furiously studying like she had been moments earlier. Woohyun frowned and the pages in front of him. He should have expected as much from a teacher’s pet. The hawk had laid eyes on her, and she was trying her best to lay perfectly still, to blend in with her surroundings. Woohyun slowly laid his head on his desk. Maybe he could get away with sleeping like Seungho. All he would probably get in return is a sharp slap on the back of the neck either coming from the teacher or Maeri. Either way, he could deal with that. But as he closed his eyes, he didn’t feel a slap on the back of his neck, but something softly falling on top of his head. Woohyun opened his eyes and shook his head a little, knocking the folded piece of paper from on top of his head onto his desk. It was a note. He glanced up at Maeri’s back who was still diligently working, and her desk partner Yerim was busy cleaning her nails. Maybe it was from her.

Woohyun slowly opened it up to reveal a page long summary written along the ruled lines:

Hermia is supposed to marry Demetrius, but she doesn’t want to because she’s in love with Lysander. Lysander loves her back which is nice, and they run away into the woods to elope. Helena tells Demetrius the plan because, I don’t know, she has some silly notion that he would give up on Hermia and marry her instead; she’s crazy about Demetrius. So the plan backfires because Demetrius goes to follow them so that he can kill Lysander. Anyway, so the four of them are in the woods, and Oberon, the fairy king, sees this messed up love triangle and gets his fairy servant Puck to fix it with a love charm. But Puck messes up bigtime, and both Lysander and Demetrius is in love with Helena, who thinks it’s a cruel joke because they hated her earlier. I don't blame her. And then Hermia hates Helena for turning the boys against her. She's just jealous. So eventually the boys try to duel to the death for Helena’s heart, but Puck removes the charm from Lysander.  And in the end, Lysander loves Hermia, and Demetrius loves Helena, just like it should be.

Woohyun looked back up at Maeri with a smile. It made a bit more sense, but only just a bit. He still had several questions. Instead of poking her again, and making her turn around, Woohyun leaned forward slowly and whispered just behind her neck, “But what about Mr. Donkey-head?”

Maeri jumped up and shivered at the sudden blast of warm air on her neck. “He’s comic relief,” she mumbled back after recovering.

Woohyun leaned in closer. “Why?”

He saw Maeri’s shoulder shift uncomfortably, and he pulled back a little. “Because the fairy queen falls in love with an annoying man with a donkey head,” she answered, trying to hide the fact that she was talking by lowering her head and bringing a hand to her face.

“That’s not funny. That’s gross,” Woohyun retorted with a chuckle.

“Must have been funny back then,” Maeri hurriedly said, hoping that this conversation would soon be over. She could feel the teacher’s eyes burning through the top of her skull.

“Is  there really a character named Fu-” Woohyun began to ask, but was cut off. Maeri was glad that he never finished the question, but on the other hand...

“Yoo Maeri, what did I say about being quiet?” the teacher asked looming over her and Woohyun. And like a hawk, he was silent and swift with he lurched upon his prey. They were trapped.

“B-but, seonsaengnim, I was just helping-” Maeri tried to defend herself, but the teacher raised his hand, effectively cutting her off.

“If Woohyun needed help, he would have gone to the tutoring center,” he retorted, glaring at the anxious boy behind Maeri. “Both of you, see me after class,” he demanded, stalking his way down the aisle.

“Yes, seonsaengnim,” Maeri responded with a shaky voice. Her back was hunched more than ever know. Woohyun harshly swallowed, trying to get rid of the lump of guilt in his throat. He didn’t want to even begin to think how she was going to make him pay for this (although he was pretty sure that he could melt her bad mood away with a large bowl of ice cream).


“Look. See I told you. Pay up!”

Hyunsuk dug into his school pants, dragged out a few bills, and stuffed them into Seungho’s open palm. He shook his head in disappointment. “Wah! I never thought that I’d see the day.”

Maeri groaned, closing her eyes, wishing that the two boys standing in the threshold would just disappear. They were gawking at her, at the rare sight of her being in detention. Her, Yoo Maeri, a straight-laced student, who rarely did anything wrong, was in detention for trying to help her friend, who was sitting right next to her with a guilty expression. Maeri let out a bigger sigh, hoping that her spirit would leave her body at the same time because her life was over anyways. She slumped onto the desk in front of her, hiding her face in her arms. “Make them go away,” she begged Woohyun.

And Woohyun was chomping at the bit for any opportunity to alleviate his guilt. “Shut up, Seungho!” he yelled at his friend at the door. “You’re acting like you’ve never seen the detention room before.”

Seungho didn’t even flinch and leaned on the doorframe coolly.“Yea, but I never thought I would see Maeri in one,” he said back.

“What a rebel!” Hyunsuk chimed in.

Maeri lifted her head from the desk to attempt to kill Hyunsuk and Seungho with her ‘laser’ gaze, but before she could do that, her eyes caught something else, a mop of flopping black hair, a boy with a camera around his neck (probably off to take pictures of some club event). But the boy immediately stopped after catching sight of his friends and peered into the room. “Oh, so it is true,” he said with an amused voice.

“M-myungsoo?” Maeri stuttered. Woohyun winced. Of course the one thing that would make the situation worse just happened. It would take more than just ice cream and an apology for Maeri to forgive him.

“I always thought you were such a good girl,” Myungsoo joked, shaking his head at the scene. Maeri whimpered and hid her blushing face in her arms again. Woohyun patted her back.

“Myung, take a photo for the yearbook,” Hyunsuk suggested with an evil smirk. “I want to remember this.”

Myungsoo looked at his camera and then to the distraught girl in detention. With a hesitant bite of his lip, he relented, “Oh, okay. Woohyun, Maeri, smile!” At as his urging Maeri lifted her head slightly, but covered her face with her ponytail. Woohyun, on the other hand, was smiling brightly with his arm over his friend.

After the camera flashed, the detention proctor finally arrived, turning the corner and was surprised at the small gathering in front of the room. “Everyone scram,” she ordered. “Unless you want to join us. We have more than enough seats.” She tapped her foot impatiently, waiting for the three boys to disperse.

“Is that actually an option?” Hyunsuk asked with widened eyes. “Because I would like to see this.”

“Hyunsuk-goon, get out!” the proctor exclaimed, gently shoving the said boy and the others away from the door.

While the proctor was struggling with the students actually wanting to go into detention willingly, Woohyun whispered to Maeri and patted her hunched back, “Maeri, are you really that upset? I thought you decided to give up on Myungsoo.”

“I did,” Maeri admitted, her voice muffled by her arms. “But I still like him. And I care what he thinks about me.” She groaned. Her feelings for the handsome boy were still lodged deep into her heart. She had listened to her rational thoughts and Woohyun’s advice and had given up on Myungsoo. But apparently her heart didn’t get the message.

“Well, I still think you’re a good girl,” Woohyun tried to offer some comfort, but he had hit a nerve instead. Apparently twisting Myungsoo’s words was not a good idea.

Maeri turned and faced him with a fierce expression like a lioness on the hunt. “Woohyun, I hate you so much right now,” she growled, and afterwards she shifted away from him, turning her head away.

Woohyun pouted and tugged gently on her ponytail. “You don’t really mean that, do you?” he asked with a nervous chuckle.

“Yes,” she curtly responded.

Now it was Woohyun’s turn to slump over his own desk like a limp noodle. “Okay,” he gave in. He couldn’t hide the sadness in his voice.

And Maeri picked up on it. She sighed. She turned to face him again, seeing his protruding lower lip and sad eyes. She nudged his bicep with her finger. Woohyun faced, his eyes downcast. “I’ll love you again tomorrow,” she offered. “But let me hate you just for now.”

A smile overtook Woohyun’s face, his eyes practically hiding behind his round cheeks. “Okay,” he replied this time a little more joyfully.

But suddenly there was a sharp rap on the desk from a meterstick being struck across their shared desk. The both of them shot up straight in their seats as if a spring. “If you don’t want another detention, I suggest the both of you stop talking,” the proctor growled.

“Yes m’am!”


A/N: Once again, this also happened to me in high school. The one time I got a detention (it was in my last semester my senior year), all of my friends came to watch (well, except for those in detention with me because like Maeri, I got a detention because of my friend. Long story short: he stole my other friend's shoes and we jumped over something we weren't supposed to while we were chasing him). I remember I told my lax coach that I wouldn't make it to practice because I'd be in detention. He laughed in my face. He wasn't a very nice guy.

Oh and the play was Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's a good one.

Thanks for reading!!