"I dare you" (age 30): Part 2

18 vs 30

A/N: Finally, after a month or so, I finish the chapter! I am sorry for the long wait. I hope it was worth it. Oh, and about the gif, Woohyun's wearing the same shirt and eating chicken, just like he does in the story. I'm a very creative person, hehe. Oh and about the comments, I normally reply quicker than that (I was trying to use replying as a motivator to finish this chapter more quickly). Sorry for being so tardy with everything. I really do appreciate y'all taking your time to read this!!

Woohyun’s office was filled with the sounds of him typing on the keyboard, trying desperately to finish Sungyeol’s quarterly report before it was too late in the evening. After returning from lunch, he practically did nothing except work on this report, and Maeri was quietly sitting in the corner, playing games on her phone. With the exception of daring him to spin around in his office chair until he -out (his world just recently stopped spinning, but he still had an awful ringing in his ears), Maeri left him alone to work. Well, almost, her cursing at the games was quite distracting, but also somewhat funny to hear her curse at pigs and birds.

Then, it finally happened. Woohyun entered the last piece of data; he was finished, and relieved. He groaned and stretched, relishing in a job well done. Maeri heard this and looked up. “Finished?”

“Yup,” Woohyun answered, sending the report off in an email to Sungyeol.

Maeri jumped up from her spot and gave Woohyun a high-five. “Good job, sweetie,” she lauded. “Now what?”

A vibrating sound answered for him. Woohyun had an incoming text. He furrowed his eyebrows as he read, not expecting to receive one. He stared at the text blankly for a while, before remembering with a chuckle. “Right! I told Gyu that I would watch the soccer game with him and Dongwoo tonight.” He put the phone in Maeri’s hands and pointed at the text. “Look how excited Gyu is! He already ordered the chicken and put like 5 exclamation points in the text.”

Maeri smiled. “Aw! Cute.” She handed back the phone with a slight pout on her lips. “You guys became close quickly,” she stated carefully.

Woohyun smiled at the text before putting the phone back into his pocket. “Yea, they say two things bring men closer,” he declared looking seriously at Maeri but cutely holding up 2 fingers.  “Drinking,” he stated as he wiggled one finger. As he wiggled the other, he cheekily said, “And showering together.” He ended with an embarrassed chuckle, and Maeri went from nodding along to what he was saying to unhinging her jaw in shock.  Woohyun closed for her bringing his knuckle under her chin. “Don’t look at me like that! We didn’t do it,” he responded. Then he leaned in closer to her and teased, “I only want to shower with you.”

“Shut up!” Maeri shouted as she shoved him away. “You’re full of it,” she insulted with her head hanging, her hair hiding her embarrassed smile.

Woohyun glanced at his phone and then back up to his friend. “Sorry about this. You probably wanted to do something else this evening,” he apologized.

Maeri jumped onto his desk. “Don’t be,” she said. “I’m your shadow today. I don’t really have a choice where I go.” She ended with an apathetic shrug. And she really didn’t care about what they did that evening. All that mattered today was Woohyun and his happiness.

“Ah! Right!” Woohyun exclaimed excitedly as he jumped out of his chair. Then he took a large stride to the right as he said,  “So if I go here.” Maeri jumped down from the desk and took a large step as well. Woohyun took another one backwards. “Or here.” Maeri giggled and took a step forward. “Or…” Woohyun quickly grabbed his stuff and ran out the office door, laughing maniacally.

“Stop it!” Maeri giggled and chased after him.


“Woohyunnie hubby,” Maeri said in a baby voice while Woohyun parked the car in front of Sunggyu’s (his old) apartment. She dramatically jutted out her lower lip, fixing her eyes on the man next to her, willing him to look at her.

And when he finally did, he grimaced and dragged his hand down her face. “Don’t act cute,” he reprimanded. “It doesn’t suit you. You’re 30. 30!”

Maeri tucked back in her lip and frowned for real. “But you still do aegyo. Why can’t I?” she argued.

“That one month that separates us makes a huge difference,” he explained as he got out of the car. Maeri followed his lead and closed the car door as she scoffed. Woohyun raised an eyebrow. “What? What is it?”

Maeri clasped her hands together as she slow walked up to the complex entrance with Woohyun, a playful bounce in her step. “What floor is your old apartment on?” Woohyun didn’t like the innocent tone in her voice.

“Wah! I moved out not that long ago, and you already forgot?” he complained and dug his knuckles into the sides of her head. “They do say your memory goes as you age.”

Maeri batted away his hand and rubbed her new sore spot, but in spite of it all, she still had a trace of an innocent smile on her face. “Answer my question: how many floors?” she repeated.

Woohyun shot her a curious glance as he opened the door for her. “Four. Why?” he answered as she walked in.

“Let’s take the stairs then,” she suggested with a little hop in her step. Now Woohyun really wasn’t liking this.

“Why? Want to lose weight?” Woohyun walked up to her and pinched her in the side. “ You did eat a lot for lunch, and you do have a wedding dress to fit into.”  He chuckled, and his eyes crinkled.

Maeri pouted. He was right for once. Now that they were actually planning things for the wedding now, the dress would have come too, along with the typical bride’s diet. But now wasn’t the time for it. Now was time for revenge after Woohyun made her chase after him not only out of the office but around the parking lot for a couple of laps. The only reason why he stopped to was because the security guard yelled at them to stop “acting like overgrown hooligans.” Yes, Maeri had enough of running today, and enough of stairs for that matter.

“I guess I’ll have to start my diet and exercise tomorrow,” she told Woohyun with a casual shrug. “Because I dare you to carry me up all of the stairs. I’m not used to all this walking and my legs hurt.” She bent over to begin rubbing her aching calves.

Woohyun shook his head as he looked at her. Maeri looked like an ahjummah, wincing as she rubbed the sore muscle and groaning. She looked as if all of the strength was sapped out of her body. “It’s hard to believe that you were an athlete at some point. Your body is so weak now,” he teased.  Then she punched him in the calf. Okay so her strength was still there. Just her stamina was gone. He rolled his eyes and turned his back towards her. “Okay. Come on, hop on my back,” he commanded, gesturing at her to jump on his back, which she might have done a little too enthusiastically, causing him to groan under her weight.

Woohyun did well, for the first flight of stairs. His step grew heavier as the climb went on. And Maeri felt heavier too. Was it possible that she was gaining weight as she was on his back? Did she have food? Was she eating? Woohyun his lips at the thought, his own stomach feeling empty. Sunggyu should have food, and there were just a few steps left. But Woohyun couldn’t keep it to himself anymore. “Oh my god! Can you weigh anymore? I can hear my back breaking,” he whined.

“Nope. Don’t care,” Maeri joked, rubbing her cheek next to his and kicking his sides with her heels. “Come on, Hyun. Go faster. The game’s about to start.” Woohyun in a deep breath and was able to conquer the last few steps.

Finally after a few more sluggish steps, he was in front of Sunggyu’s door. “Finally! Knock...knock. Hurry!” he yelled impatiently. He was leaning over so that Maeri could reach the door.

“Okay. Okay. I’m knocking,” she responded pounding on the door.

The door opened in a few seconds. “Hyun!” Sunggyu said excitedly. Then his smile fell, and he blinked a few times as he was face to face with a giggling Maeri. “Oh? Maeri, you’re here too?”

“Yep!” Woohyun answered and practically threw Maeri off his back. She fell onto the floor. “She’s my shadow!” he explained pointing at the woman growling at him on the floor. “Hope you don’t mind.”

Sunggyu shook his head. “Ah, no. I don’t mind at all. Come on in,” he ushered them inside. The couple stepped inside the familiar apartment and began to take off their winter coats, revealing their rather odd apparel underneath. Being a man, Sunggyu’s eyes first caught Maeri’s bare legs underneath the simple white button-down. But soon afterwards, Woohyun’s golden cardigan caught his attention with its brightness. “What are you wearing? What are you both wearing?” he demanded to know as they both made their way to the couch.

“Clothes!” the both of them answered excitedly in unison and giggled at each other.

Sunggyu rolled his eyes and tried again, “What’s going on here? You two are acting weirder than usual.”

“We’re playing a game of dares. And I’m winning!” Woohyun announced proudly as he plopped himself on the couch, putting his feet on the coffee table in front of him.

Maeri halted and stiffened. “Wait. Are you?” she asked dubiously, beginning to count the number on dares on her hand. Her frown deepening with each finger she put up.

“How do you win?” Sunggyu asked, sitting down next to his friends.

“Whoever runs out of dares first, loses.” He glanced over at Maeri who finished counting and was staring at her eight fingers. “She’s only got two left,” he boasted.

Maeri put down her hands and crossed her arms. “I should’ve made a scoreboard,” she mumbled under her breath as she kicked the ground.

Woohyun nudged Sunggyu and pointed at her. “Isn’t she cute when she’s losing?” he asked.

“Uh...yea,” he reluctantly said. He then turned his attention to Maeri who was still standing in front of them and  mumbling to herself. “Um, Maeri, why don’t you sit down?” he suggested. Maeri sort of gave in and leaned onto the armrest next to Woohyun. Then he turned his head to the side. “Hey! Dongwoo! Woohyun and Maeri are here,” he announced in a loud voice.

Dongwoo poked his head out of his bedroom door. “Oh they are!” he exclaimed, a huge smile overwhelming his face. He walked out of his room. “Hey guys! What’s up?”

Woohyun shrugged as he took a pillow into his lap. “Nothing much.”

“Nothing much?” Sunggyu turned to him and repeated loudly. “You’re sitting there in a sparkly cardigan and a sheer shirt, and Maeri has no pants on.” He pointed at the woman partially sitting on the armrest.

Dongwoo tilted his head, but then he fell back as if he was literally hit with a realization. “Ah! Are you guys doing the dare thing again?” he guessed pointing between the couple. The both of them nodded. Dongwoo’s smile ripped open even wider as he bounced in his spot excitedly. “Ah man! It was so much fun last time. Woohyun streaked the quad. The campus police were chasing him down. Maeri...oh god...Maeri do you remember what you did? Kyakyakyakyakya,” he said slowly dissolving into laughter. Maeri looked away, her face growing red with embarrassment.

Sunggyu cocked his head. “What did you do?” he asked.

“I...flashed them...and threw up all over their shoes,” Maeri said quietly, crossing her arms and rubbing them with her hands. But it was loud enough for the other to hear. Sunggyu joined Dongwoo in a loud of laughter and Woohyun too. Maeri looked at the three boys and stomped her foot in frustration. “ I was out thanks to someone. I had no idea what I was doing,” she tried to defend herself. Her eyes were boring through the back of Woohyun’s head, shaking as he laughed. At times like these, she wished she had laser vision.

Woohyun was panting heavily, wiping tears of happiness from his eyes. “Best night ever,” he said slowly. The other boys soon fell out of their bout as well. And Woohyun finally got a good look at Dongwoo. The slim man was dressed in skinny jeans and a nice plaid button down shirt with a wool cardigan thrown over. It contrasted starkly against his new roommate’s  sweats, and the sweats Dongwoo would normally be wearing. “Woo-ah, why you dressed like that? It’s a little too fancy to be sitting on the couch watching a game.”

Dongwoo straightened himself up and inhaled sharply, regaining his breath. “Whew...oh yea. I’m going to the bar with  Hoya and Sungjong tonight.”

“What?” Woohyun asked in shock, his eyes slightly bulging from his head. “ You’re just going to abandon me for someone you just met? I thought 2Woo was important to you!” He leaned back into the couch, crossing his arms over his chest.

“2Woo?” Sunggyu glanced in between the two men with furrowed brows. “ I thought we were Donggyu?” he asked pointing at Dongwoo at himself.

“What about Maedong?” Maeri interjected herself into the debate. All three of the boys looked at her with raised eyebrows, silently staring. “What I can’t be in a pairing too?” she argued. Woohyun hit her gently with the back  of his hand and pointed to his frowning face, mumbling something about “Woori” under his breath. Maeri rolled her eyes at him. She was only joking, but apparently none of the guys got it. They take their bromances so seriously. Who do they think they are? Idols?

“I’m more of a fan of Hodong, actually,” Dongwoo resumed the conversation. Sunggyu and Woohyun looked at him blankly. “Me and Hoya,” he explained. Then those blank stares turned into dejected expression as the two boys simultaneously said ‘oh’ and looked down at the ground. “Oh come on guys! I’m allowed to have more friends than just you guys.”

“No you aren’t,” Woohyun said in all seriousness.

Dongwoo ignored him and grabbed for his wallet in a basket on the table by the door. “Bye guys!” he bid farewell as he stuffed the wallet in his back pocket. “ Have fun! I love you!” Then he was out the door.

“No you don’t!” Woohyun yelled after him. Then he sank back down into the couch. “ I can’t believe he just left us for Hoya.”

“And Sungjong,” Maeri added shaking her head. She turned to Woohyun and placed a hand on her hip. “Seriously that little scamp is befriending all my friends. Maybe he has a crush on me.” Woohyun just silently stared at her, allowing to arrive at her own conclusion. Maeri blushed and looked away. “Yea, that sounded stupid when I heard it too.”

“Soooo I guess it’s just us three,” Sunggyu awkwardly announced placing his hands on his knees.

Woohyun put an arm around Sunggyu’s should and drew him in. “It’s better this way,” he insisted. “We don’t need Dongwoo. Just as long as I have my best friend, Kim Sunggyu.” Sunggyu looked down but a smile could still be seen on his face.

“HEY!” Maeri yelled from the side.

Woohyun didn’t ever turn towards her, but kept his eyes on Sunggyu as he corrected himself, “My MALE best friend, Kim Sunggyu.”

“Whatever, I’ve known you longer,” she retorted standing up. Then she turned towards the two boys and innocently clasped her hands together again like she did when she asked Woohyun to carry her. “Hey Gyu, can I borrow some sweatpants?” she asked swinging her shoulders from side to side. “If we’re going to be sitting down and all. I kind of want to be comfy.” In fact that was the reason why she hadn’t sat down yet. She was all too aware of the boys staring at her legs (they weren’t even good-looking legs by far; they were short and thick with muscle, but they were still a woman’s legs). If she would have sat down, more of her legs would be exposed, and those tiny shorts she was wearing underneath wouldn’t help in the slightest. She fiddled with the hem of the shirt pulling it down as she was awaiting Sunggyu’s answer.

“Uh, sure,” his voice a bit dazed. Then he stood up from the couch. “Of course,” he answered a bit stronger.

At the same time, Woohyun also jumped up from the couch, pointing an accusing finger at Maeri. “No, NO! Cheater!” he objected. “I said all day in that outfit.”

Maeri closed her eyes and sighed, searching her mind for a solution. “Fine, if you let me wear sweatpants, you can take off your tie,” she proposed. “It must be feeling so constricting and tight, like it’s choking you.” She said while walking over to him, pulling the knot (which he had loosened earlier) closer and closer to his neck.

“Alright deal!” he immediately agreed, pulling the tie off and his cardigan as well. Although it wasn’t part of the deal, Maeri let the cardigan go as well. She then turned to see Sunggyu walking into his bedroom, and she followed him.

Once she stepped inside, she snorted a little. “Man, this room looks so different,” she mused studying the surroundings that looked so neat and clean (well with the exception of the pile of clothes accumulating in the corner of the room). The set up was still the same as before, which wasn’t surprising in such a small room like this one. So it seemed familiar yet so different at the same time. “I used to come in here all the time with Woohyun and...oh look baby Gyu!” Her eyes caught a glimpse of a picture frame on his dresser. It held a photo of him when he was around five (she wagered), with the rest family. She walked over to it and grabbed it placing next to his shocked face. “You look the exact same!” she teased. He then began to frown like he was doing in the photo, narrowing his eyes until they almost closed and jutting out his chin.

“No I don’t!” he complained, taking the photo from her hands. “And didn’t your mother teach you not to touch other people’s things without their permission?” he reprimanded as he looked through his drawers. Then he turned around and shoved some grey capri sweatpants into her hands. “Here are the pants.” Maeri took them from him muttering words of thanks.

As she began to put on the capris (which were more  like pants on her), she argued with the other, “Yes, my mother did. But we’re friends so sometimes those rules don’t apply and…”

“What are you doing?!” Sunggyu exclaimed as he ducked his head and closed his eyes tightly, turning his back to her. “Go to the bathroom and change,” he commanded, pointing out of the doorway.

“Chill,” Maeri retorted with a roll of her eyes (she was doing that a lot this evening). “ I’m putting on more clothes, not taking them off.” She finished what she was saying and pulling the pants up. She was now rolling the waistband to adjust the fit.

Sunggyu faced her again and pointed at her legs. “Yea but I could see...uh, never mind,” he gave up and rubbed the back of his neck apprehensively.

“See what?” Maeri asked, tilting her head trying to catch the other’s avoidant eyes.

“You’re a girl, and I’m not Woohyun,” he pointed out.

“Well duh!”

Sunggyu shook his head because Maeri was not understanding what he was trying to say. “So don’t you think that there are some things you shouldn’t do around me?” he tried to explain again.

Maeri stiffened and stopped adjusting the waistband. She put her hands in front of her and twiddled her thumbs. “Probably,” she admitted sheepishly, looking down at her feet.  She lifted her eyes up just a little to see Sunggyu looking down at her. She felt as if she was being scolded by her father. “But I feel comfortable around you, like I feel with Woohyun, even though I haven’t known you as long. And it’s okay because we’re all friends, right?” she asked in a low voice.

Sunggyu sighed and looked away. “But we’re not all friends. You’re...” he began to say, then he was interrupted by Woohyun.

“Hey Gyu, where’s the remote? I can’t find it,” he said putting his head out the door. He then scanned his former room, being overwhelmed by an old feeling of nostalgia. His old room, filled with new things, new furniture, new pictures. “Oh look baby Gyu! You look the exact same.” He grabbed the same photo Maeri did minutes earlier and put it next to Sunggyu’s face.

“Told you!” Maeri retorted, sticking out her tongue at the man next to her.

“Give me that back.” Sunggyu tore the photo from Woohyun and placed it back in its rightful place. Then he stormed out of the room.

Maeri turned to Woohyun. “Oooooh, you made Gyu mad,” she said in a hushed voice.

“Me?” he pointed to  himself with innocent wide eyes. “You did!” he argued poking a finger in her chest. He followed Sunggyu out the door, leaving Maeri alone in the boy’s room.

We’re not friends?


“Come on, ref! Are you blind? That was a foul. He went for the legs and not the ball. You dumb-! You big, fat, blind dumb-. Eh, he’s a ty player anyways. Yea, hit him again in the legs, and if we’re lucky, he’ll get injured, and they’ll put a sub in. Hit him all you want! Harder! You pansies!” Maeri was leaned forward, yelling profanities at the t.v., sitting on one  end of the couch, Sunggyu was on the other, and Woohyun was in between. After she was done with her tirade, she leaned back, sinking into the couch. She widened her stance as well, placing her hands in the wide space between her legs.

“Look at her,” Woohyun scoffed, speaking to Sunggyu. He shook his head. “How did I end up getting engaged to a woman like that?” He closed his eyes tightly, imagining his ideal wife in his head. A nice woman with a polite smile, sitting up straight in her seat with her legs crossed, her long dark brown hair cascading down one of her shoulders. He opened his eyes and peeked at Maeri. Her hair was carelessly thrown in a ponytail, and a pout formed on her face, legs spread. And he was going to marry it.

“Are you sure she’s even a woman?” Sunggyu took the words right out of his mouth.

“Haha. Very funny,” Maeri responded dryly.

“Honey, look at the way you’re sitting,” Woohyun reprimanded. Maeri looked down and automatically closed her legs, sitting up straighter. Woohyun tsked and shook his head, looking Maeri up and down. “All you need is a can of beer and the picture would be complete. In fact, Shadow, every time I drink, you drink. It’s a dare.” He handed her a can of beer as he grabbed one for himself. He held his can up, staring her down, and opened it. With a sigh, she did too.

“Woo…” she began, but then Woohyun took a swig from his can. Held by the laws of the dare, she took one too. After swallowing hard, she tried to say again, “It’s not…” Woohyun took another drink and she did too. “You have…” He drank again. “Tolerance!” she exclaimed coughing down her last sip. Woohyun began chuckling at her sputtering.

He nudged the boy next to him with his elbow. “Gyu, watch. You’re about to witness something magical soon, drunk Maeri,” he announced. Then he turned back to his fiancee and finished off the rest of the beer, holding it upside down to prove it was empty. She did the same, and he handed her another can.

Sunggyu was carefully watching the both of them. “Really what is she like?” he asked.

Woohyun turned his attention back to his friend. “She becomes like a child. And blunt as hell.”

Maeri stamped her foot and objected, “I do not! I am a lady.” Her hand was over her chest.

While Woohyun’s eyes was still fixed on Sunggyu, he yelled, “Yah! Close your legs.” Maeri snapped her wide open legs shut again. Woohyun chuckled, still facing Sunggyu. “She just closed them, didn’t she?”

Sunggyu shook his head and laughed. “You guys know each other too well. What is she thinking?” he whispered the question loudly to Woohyun, making sure Maeri overheard.

“He’s never going to get it right,” Maeri said as Woohyun turned towards her. He popped the tab of a new can of beer and took a long sip, narrowing his eyes on hers. Maeri did the same like a good shadow, even scratching her knee like Woohyun unconsciously did (he didn’t know that she was even mimicking him to that level, but it gave her some sort of pleasure nonetheless).

“You want me to stop drinking,” Woohyun finally guessed.

“Other than that,” Maeri replied with a snort. Woohyun shrugged. Maeri motioned to Woohyun to move in closer, and reluctantly he leaned in. Maeri looked past him to Sunggyu. Woohyun followed the path of her eyes and raised a questioning eyebrow. “ I think it’s time we get Gyu in on this game.”

Sunggyu choked on his own beer after hearing her suggestion. “Huh?”


Woohyun and Maeri were sitting on the floor at the coffee table; their legs stretched out underneath the table. Sunggyu, on the other hand, was laying on the couch, eating a drumstick and making loud chewing sounds as he did so (the chicken that Sunggyu had ordered finally arrived). Maeri grimaced, not at the gross sound but at the large stack of papers that laid ahead of herself and her fiance. “Seriously? We could do anything for you. Anything! And you want us to grade your tests?” she whined, shaking her legs under the table in frustration.

Sunggyu wiped his mouth with the back of his hand before answering, “Have you ever graded before? It’s tedious.” He stretched and turned towards the coupled. “Worst part of being a teacher.”

“What’s the best part?” Woohyun asked as he started grading. Maeri was surprised how he followed this dare without putting up a fight. Either he really respected the rules of the game (which she doubted because he tried to cut corners and find loopholes at every opportunity he got) or he really liked Sunggyu and wanted to help him. Maeri looked back at the chicken-eating boy on the couch. I’m Woohyun’s best friend, you little...

Unaware of Maeri’s inner monologue, Sunggyu answered honestly, “I get a lot of breaks.”

Maeri slammed the pen she was grading with on the coffee table dramatically. She faced the boy on the couch. “Wah! And here I thought you were on a mission to reform or inspire the youths or whatever they always do in high school movies,” she chided.

“Nope,” Sunggyu answered with a smile. “Pretty much in it for the breaks. But being an influence on kids is pretty awesome too.”

Maeri scoffed in disbelief and focused back on the task at hand, the large still unfinished task at hand. Sunggyu was right: grading is tedious. But leave it to Woohyun to make the most mundane assignment fun. Maeri looked over at him, seeing him hunched over the piece of paper, smiling to himself as he hummed. “Hyun. What are you doing?” she asked, wondering what was so amusing.

“Drawing hearts. This girl got a 95%,” he bluntly replied.

“Oh good idea,” she lauded. “Do you have stickers?” she asked Sunggyu.

“Oh like gold stars?” Woohyun asked excitedly, liking her idea.

“No. Why would I?” Sunggyu answered as he sat up himself up on the couch.

“You’re officially the worst teacher ever,” Maeri teased, turning towards Sunggyu, abandoning grading for arguing with the other. “No gold stars. Why would anybody want to do well on a test?”

And Sunggyu was more than willing to fight back with some words of his own. “For the good grades and a sense of accomplishment.” Maeri grimaced. Sunggyu laughed ostentatiously as he pointed right in her face. “Wah! You really do become a child!”

Woohyun turned to the arguing duo, staring at his friend in all seriousness. “Gyu...she’s not even drunk yet. This is how Maeri is normally.” His eyes then crinkled in delight as he saw disbelief sweep across Sunggyu’s face.

After recovering, Sunggyu patted Woohyun on the back. “Really? I pity you. What did you do in your past life to deserve a woman like that?” his voice full of sympathy.

Woohyun hung his head and mumbled, “I must have been a traitor.”

Maeri narrowed her eyes on the two boys. “Shut up before I hit the both of you,” she growled through gritted teeth.

Woohyun then leaned back, using Sunggyu’s legs as a barrier between him and Maeri. “Gyu...she scares me,” he whimpered to his friend. Maeri gave him a sharp slap. That’s when Woohyun pulled himself up and pointed at Maeri, his finger poking her nose. “That’s it. There’s not enough room on the couch for the three of us.”


And that’s how Maeri ended up standing in the corner of the living room, while the two boys were spread out on the couch, comfortable; however, Woohyun wasn’t satisfied with only that. She was also standing on one leg, but Maeri was smarter than that. She was leaning against the wall to support herself, but that did not help her exhaustion. And with Woohyun’s beer dare, she was starting to feel light-headed and...hungry, very hungry. But the chicken was all the way on the coffee table, and Woohyun specifically said to stay in the corner until he forgave her. I’ll be standing here until I die.

“Can I have some chicken?” she asked, her lips.

Woohyun faced her and sneered, “No. You stand there and think about what you’ve done. It’s not nice to hit your husband.” He turned his attention back at the game. “You’re lucky I didn’t call the authorities on you.”

“You deserved it,” she mumbled underneath her breath, but it was unfortunately loud enough for Woohyun to hear. He took the beer in his hand and polished it off, staring her down. Maeri sighed and drank her own.  

Still staring at the t.v., Sunggyu shook his head. “You guys are without a doubt the weirdest couple I’ve ever met,” he said.

“If by weird, you mean totally awesome, then yes we are,” Woohyun said with a chuckle. Then the ref’s whistle blew, calling a break within the game. Woohyun jumped up with an impatient expression on his face. “Oh, thank god. It’s halftime. I have to pee,” he said in exasperation and run off into the bathroom.

Maeri scoffed. “And he yells at me for not being ladylike.” Guys can say whatever they want. Double standard.

“Here.” A piece of chicken was pushed under her nose. She looked over and saw that Sunggyu had slid over to her on the couch and was offering her the piece of fried poultry.  “It’s not good to drink on an empty stomach,” he reprimanded pushing the chicken to her lips.

Maeri took it with her teeth before accepting it with her hands. “Thanks,” she said after greedily swallowing the piece whole. Sunggyu smiled and handed her another piece. Maeri looked down at the second piece of chicken in her hands and then over to Sunggyu who had apparently found the vitamin commercial on the t.v. very interesting.  The atmosphere felt a bit awkward and quiet. Maeri took a bite. We’re not all friends, she thought while she chewed. “Hey Gyu! We’re friends, right?” she blurted out, mouth still filled with food.

Sunggyu looked slightly taken aback. “Yes. Why?” he asked. Then he smirked and leaned over. “Do you want to ask for a favor?” he asked in a hushed voice.

“No, just for reassurance,” Maeri replied with a slight smile. The atmosphere was lightening. She leaned in too and raised an eyebrow. “But will you really do a favor for me?”

“Of course,” he immediately answered, but then he pulled back a little. “It depends on what it is.”

“Ummmm…” Maeri hummed in thought, rolling the chicken bone in her hand. “Will you...eat this for me?” she asked with a little laugh, putting the chicken bone into his hand.

Sunggyu stared at the bone and then looked up at her with a judging stare. “That’s not a favor. That’s a dare. I’m not getting anymore involved in yours and Woohyun’s little games,” he stated, clutching the bone in his fist.

Maeri shook her head adamantly. “Nu uh, it’s a favor,” she insisted. Then she pointed to the garbage can over on the other side of the room. “You’re saving me a trip to a trash can that alllll the way over there.” And although it was across the room, it was just a few steps away.

He laughed. “Or I could just do this,” he said as he got up from the couch and threw it into the can for her.

“It’s not as fun,” Maeri called to him with a large smile on her face.

So we are friends...but then what did he mean earlier by we’re not all friends, Maeri pondered as she rested her head back on the wall. It was spinning due to the alcohol and the exertion from standing on one foot. We’re not all friends. We’re not all friends. We’re not...all...friends. She repeated to herself until the conclusion finally dawned on her, as she saw Woohyun step out of the bathroom, fastening his belt. There was a glint coming off of his finger as it moved under the light, from their engagement ring. Maeri’s eyes widened. We’re not all friends. Woohyun’s friends with Gyu. I’m friends with Gyu, but Woohyun and I are engaged. Woohyun looked up from his belt, and his eyes met with Maeri’s. He smiled brightly probably thinking that she wasn’t able to keep her eyes off of her “super attractive” fiance. Maeri smiled in return, realizing that she had been spacing out, and turned her head, her eyes now falling on Sunggyu, returning from the throwing the chicken bone into the garbage. His smile from earlier had significantly diminished, and his shoulders looked slightly hunched as he quickly sat down, as if he didn’t want to be in the way of Woohyun and Maeri. He...he doesn’t feel like a third wheel, does he? Maeri bit her lip. She and Woohyun did have that effect on people, accidentally excluding everyone else and only paying attention to each other, like with this game. Maybe if we found another wheel? A fourth wheel? And then we can be a whole car! ...Dang! I drank way too much. She started blinking her eyes quickly as if it would clear her head.

“Honey,” Woohyun called her out of her fog. Both him and Sunggyu were back sitting on the couch. He was bouncing up and down with excitement. “We forgot to tell Gyu and Dongwoo the big news.”

Sunggyu tapped his finger on the chin as he pondered. “You got a promotion? You’re adopting a dog? You learned how to use the bathroom properly?” he guessed.

Woohyun chuckled and shook his head, looking like Maeri did a few seconds earlier (they had been around each other so much that they picked up each other’s habits). “Nooooo. Don’t schedule anything for April 19th,” he ordered, wagging his finger at his friend.

“Why?”

“That’s when we’re getting married,” Woohyun happily answered. Sunggyu’s eyes widened in shock. Woohyun chuckled, “Not you and me. Maeri and I.” He gestured to the girl still leaning against the wall.

Maeri leaned forward to get in their line of vision and waved. “Hello! Still here,” she reminded them.

“Oh...really?” Sunggyu replied.

“Yep,” Woohyun still excitedly replied.  “So you better get a date ready,” he demanded of his friend. Sunggyu looked away and blushed.

“Oh oh oh! I have the best idea EVER!” Maeri exclaimed hopping over on one foot over to the couch. But then her knees locked and her ankle turned, causing her to come tumbling down in front of the two boys who were just watching her fall down with their mouths agape. Maeri waved her hand as she grimaced in acute pain. “I’m fine. I’m fine. It’s just that my leg finally gave out.”

Finally one of the boys moved. “Come over here,” Woohyun said gently pulling her onto the couch next to him, pushing Sunggyu to the end to make room for his fiancee. “Dare over,” he announced while patting her on the head, thinking her clumsiness to be cute for once (he used to find it annoying but that was mostly because she would trip, grab him, and take him down with her. Now that he was safe on the couch, it was kind of cute). And Maeri looked relieved to be sitting down again, forgetting why she got so worked up in the first place. “What’s the idea?” Woohyun prodded her memory.

“Oh!” Maeri exclaimed. She was massaging her calve muscles again. She faced Woohyun with a mischievous smile. “Unnie,” she answered while nudging Woohyun in the shoulder, hoping that he would read her mind.

And he did. “Ooooooh! That’s a great idea!” he yelled slapping Maeri excitedly.

And not being telepathically connected like the two of them, Sunggyu was completely lost as he watched the two of them getting into a playful slap-fight. “Uh, you guys are gonna have to fill me in,” Sunggyu said, reminding them of his presence.

Maeri leaned forward and dramatically pointed at the man on the other side of the couch. “Kim Sungkyu, I dare you to go on a blind date with Hani-unnie,” she demanded.

“Huh?” Sunggyu said with a shocked voice and raised eyebrows. Then he left out a short laugh. “You can’t dare me to do anything. I’m not part of your game,” he explained.

Maeri wouldn’t drop her finger, and she furrowed her eyebrows, glaring at him. “I double dog dare you,” she challenged.

Sunggyu sighed. Judging by the rosiness of her cheeks, Maeri was now officially drunk and entering into her child-like mindset. “Maeri…” he began in a calm voice.

“Triple dog dare you!” Maeri barked. “I dare you times infinity!”

Woohyun was getting worked up alongside Maeri, almost as fargone as she was. He was shimming back and forth. “Oooooooh, you can’t back out now, Gyu. That’s a very serious dare.”

Sunggyu sighed. “I can’t win against you two, can I?”

“Nope!” The both of them said in unison. It was eerie how much the were similar, like siamese twins sometimes.

Woohyun could read the apprehension on his friend’s face. He nudged the other. “If it makes you feel better, we  can make it a double date. You and Hani-noona and me and Maeri,” he proposed, gesturing at the three of them.

“Sounds like fun,” Sunggyu said dryly finishing off the rest of his beer. (sarcastically)

“It will be,” Woohyun insisted. “Trust us.”

Maeri leaned forward and pouted. “Do you not trust us?” she asked. Sunggyu looked away.

Woohyun hung his head and sadly swung his feet. “I thought I was your best friend,” he mumbled sadly, letting out a large sigh.

“Fine!” Sunggyu finally gave in, not being able to handle the both of them looking so sad. He turned to Woohyun. “She better be pretty,” he said.

“She’s beautiful,” Woohyun promptly answered.

“Is she prettier than Maeri?” Sunggyu asked, shooting a quick glance at the woman at the other end. “You know, as a scale,” he quickly finished.

“Maeri?” Woohyun turned towards his fiancee who was smiling sweetly at him, blinking more than was necessary, smiling so wide every tooth and inch of gums can he seen. He looked her up and down slowly with analyzing eyes. He shrugged. “Eh, she’s alright. But she’s not nearly as pretty as noona.” He began chuckling.

Maeri immediately frowned and pushed Woohyun off of the couch, spreading her legs to the spot he just left to prevent him from climbing back on. But that didn’t stop him from trying. Everytime he tried to climb back on Maeri would shove him back down. Eventually Sunggyu joined in too because it looked like fun and Maeri looked like she was about to lose.

After struggling for 10 minutes, Woohyun finally got his upper body laying out on the couch. Unfortunately, the only reason why it was there was because Maeri had it pinned down underneath her body. He thought that she was heavy earlier; now it was like an elephant was sitting on him. And sadly this wasn’t the first time this every happened to him. Normally Woohyun would be able to overpower her, but since Sunggyu was helping her, it was harder to win her over. Woohyun turned his head to face his friend, his cheek smushed against the couch. He’s supposed to be my friend.

Sunggyu didn’t notice his friend’s stares because he was too busy laughing. “Sooooo this what you guys do on a normal night?” he asked.

“No,” Woohyun’s voice was muffled against the cushion. “Sometimes  I’m on top,” he said cheekily. Maeri slapped him on the , which was conveniently right in front of her. “Owwwww,” Woohyun whimpered dramatically.

“You guys are the weirdest couple ever,” Sunggyu declared, shaking his head at them.

“You’re the weirdest couple ever,” Maeri retorted. Then she looked at the beer can in her hand, frowned, and immediately put it down. “I think I should stop drinking.” Woohyun laughed to himself. She finally realized she’s drunk an hour too late. But since she seemed a little more with it, Woohyun silently gestured to her to get off of him, and she did with an apologetic smile on her face.

Once she got off and he could breath easier again, Woohyun said, “Eung, and we should go home. After all, it’s a school night.” He looked at Sunggyu with a cheeky smirk.

“Don’t want to get in trouble with the teacher,” Maeri joined in on the teasing.

Sunggyu looked at them dubiously and pouted. “You guys are leaving so soon?”

Woohyun smiled brightly. “Why do you want us to stay forever?” he suggested.

“Sleep-over!” Maeri suggested with a shout. Then Woohyun fell into the chant with her. “Sleep-over! Sleep-over! Sleep-over!”

Sunggyu got up and started to clean up the mess of beer cans, empty boxes, and chicken bones. “Yea. You guys should leave,” he announced, not giving into their request or annoying chanting. “Let me call you a taxi. I don’t think either of you should drive.”

“Aw, Gyu, taking care of us,” Woohyun cooed grabbing his friend’s hand and giving it a squeeze. “I love you

Maeri rested her chin on her finace’s shoulder. “I wuv you too!” she confessed to Sunggyu with a giggle.

Sunggyu looked at the couple for just a few minutes, just blinking. Then he slid his hand from Woohyun’s grasp. “Uh…thanks,” he said as he dug that hand into his pocket (the other was holding a box full of trash). He pulled his phone from his pocket and dialed a number. “Ah, yes, hello. Can I have a taxi?” he asked as he walked away to throw the box away. And while he was gone, Maeri attempted to tied up in her intoxicated state. But she just ended up putting things into messy piles, perhaps making it messier than it was before (but it’s the thought that counts, right?). Woohyun on the other hand was laying, fully spread out on the couch. His eyes were shut tightly, about to fall asleep himself. Sunggyu was right: they were in no condition to drive home. They were in no condition to even walk home. They might stumble into an alley and curl up in a dumpster for all he knew. Sunggyu came back and shook his head at the couple. “It should be here soon,” he announced putting the phone back in his pocket.

Woohyun suddenly perked up and jumped from the couch. He tended to rally fast, probably due to his quick metabolism. Maeri on the other hand, wasn’t so lucky. She still hadn’t even noticed Sunggyu had walked back in and was still “arranging” the trash. Woohyun pulled her up by her collar. “Thanks for having us over,” he thanked, bowing and making Maeri bow with him. She was starting to catch up. “I’ll text you details about your date later. Are you free Saturday?” he asked as he pulled Maeri towards the door, and helped her into her coat. She giggled as he tied the tie of her coat around her waist. Sunggyu nodded slowly. “Good,” Woohyun said happily as he put on his own coat.

“Oh,” Maeri gasped turning to face Sunggyu. She reached underneath her coat as she muttered. “Your pants.”

Sunggyu put his hands over hers to stop her. “Keep them,” he said gently, pulling back his hand. “You can give them back to me later.”

“Thanks Gyu,” she chirped putting her coat back down.

Woohyun grabbed her hand in his. “Come, Honey, the meter’s running,” he said giving her hand a squeeze. And they both waved and bid farewell to their mutual friend, scurrying out of the apartment.

As soon as the door closed behind them, Maeri halted. Woohyun tried to pull on her hand, then the pulling soon turned to yanking, but Maeri was still rooted in the same spot. Woohyun soon stopped yanking so hard, realizing that it was useless; instead he weakly pulled her hand, whining, refusing to use his words like Maeri refused to move. “Sweetie,” Maeri whined in response. Woohyun looked up at her curiously. She let go of his hand and lifted both of her arms in his direction. “Carry me again!”

Woohyun smiled. “Are you sure?” he asked, trying to make sure. They had both given a dare to Sunggyu like the did to Sungyeol (but the former was a little more wise yet a little less kniving with his). That meant Maeri only had one dare left, that she had just used to repeat one she had before. It was going to be a three-peat for Woohyun.

Maeri pouted and nodded, shaking her arms up and down. Woohyun smiled triumphantly as he took her on his back again and made his way out of the building, but this time, he took the elevator.


The next morning, Woohyun’s head was aching dully, and his mouth felt like it was filled with cottonballs. He to his side, looking at the alarm it. It was still an hour earlier than he normally woke up, but it was the perfect time to enact his last dare. He scooted over on the bed, closer to the woman also lying in it with her back turned towards him. Woohyun began poking incessantly in between her shoulders blades. She began to shift, and Woohyun poked harder.

“Stop!” Maeri whined, slapping behind her. “It’s too early.”

“Honey,” Woohyun whispered hotly into her ear, making sure to coat his morning breath all over her face.

Maeri was now officially awake and angry. “What?” she asked in an annoyed voice, shifting onto her back to look at Woohyun.

“I dare you to make me breakfast. A big one!” Woohyun ordered excitedly.

Maeri furrowed her eyebrows and brought the sheets up to her chin. “Why?” she whined.

“If you cooked for me more often, I wouldn’t have to dare you to,” he chided her, paraphrasing what she had said to him the day before about paying for meals. Maeri frowned, knowing that he was right. There was a lot that the both of them had to work on in their relationship.

“Okay,” she gave in, throwing off the covers and getting out of bed.

“And make it spicy too!” Woohyun added. “Oh! And some egg rolls too!” Maeri nodded, slowly making her way out of the room. “Oh and Honey.” Maeri turned around with narrowed eyes wondering what else he could demand. “Aren’t you forgetting something?” he asked. She cocked her head in response, not having a clue. Woohyun puckered his lips. She  understood now. She rolled her eyes and walked back to the bed, giving her fiance a quick peck on the lips before she left to complete his list of demands. And Woohyun curled up in all of the sheets, and fell back asleep for a bit longer.


When he woke up again, he walked briskly into the kitchen, wondering how Maeri managed. He was greeted with a strange smell, which wasn’t weird or unexpected. Maeri was an awful cook and knew more about how to service her car than to navigate a kitchen. In fact, she was pouring the soup from the steaming pot into the bowls with a regular spoon and not a ladle. Such simple things, and she has no idea, Woohyun chuckled to himself. He sat down at the table, watching her serve him with a smile. “Yep! This was definitely the best way to use my last dare and end the game.” Maeri sat down across from him with a slight smile on her face, but Woohyun hardly noticed and continued bragging. “You’re never going to be able to win against me. Maybe next time, I’ll go easy on you,” he ended with a wink.

Maeri played with her soup. “But, Sweetie, we aren’t even done with this game,” she revealed with a saccharine voice.

Woohyun dropped his spoon. “W-what do you mean?” He went over the previous day’s events in his head, counting up all the dares. “No, no you used the last one to carry you back home,” he insisted.

Maeri laughed, somewhat evilly, causing Woohyun to shiver deep into his bones. “I never dared you to do that. I only asked.” She had finally done it. She found the loophole, seized the opportunity to finally one-up Nam Woohyun. Maeri had actually won. Woohyun cursed himself for being so hasty and for prematurely celebrating.

“So what is it?” Woohyun asked. “What is it that you want me to do?” This had never happened before. He didn’t know how it would go. He always beat Maeri in everything (mostly). But there was one thing he was positive about: Maeri was a fan of revenge.

“Oh, Sweetie, you’re already doing it,” she replied. Woohyun raised an eyebrow as he lifted a spoonful of soup past his lips. Once that liquid entered his mouth, it burned like hot lava, tearing at the lining of his throat, making it feel dry instead of wet and quenched. He coughed up the small spoonful he had. He looked down at the bowl with tears in his eyes. It was practically red with the amount of pepper flakes swimming about in it. “You said you liked it spicy,” Maeri retorted with a face too cheerful for Woohyun’s liking. “And I dare you to eat it. Alllllllll of it,” she finished gesturing at the spread in front of him. The rice was burnt, the egg rolls were too runny, and even the kimchi looked rotten. Yoo Maeri, you are the absolute worse. The worse cook. The worse wife. The worse friend. Maeri got up, walked over to his side, and gripped his shoulders. “You said you wanted a big breakfast.” She pecked him sweetly on the cheek. “Have a nice day, Sweetie.”

“I hate you,” Woohyun called out to her as she walked back into the bedroom to change.

“I love you too!” Maeri could care less about his words or his sore attitude. She won. She had finally one. Today was going to be a good day.