The man in the mirror

Under Your Skin

 

Eric opened his eyes because the bright light was hurting him. He couldn’t pinpoint the exact moment he had come to his senses or when the light had started to become bothersome but he knew he was Eric Mun and he had been in a car accident. So he at least had his memory if everything else had failed. For his first few conscious minutes he tried to place his exact location and when the beeping beside him and the ghostly white walls and his own logic kicked in he felt really stupid for not realizing it sooner. Naturally, this was the hospital.

 

Well, good. At least it wasn’t the morgue.

 

Eric moved one of his hands, then the other. They seemed to agree with him. So at least he still had his hands. It was half a victory already so he tried lifting his legs to see what happened. Both seemed to work just fine. Now this seemed a bit too optimistic. Finally, Eric turned his head to the left. It turned so smoothly - didn’t even crack. Feeling super lucky he decided to turn it to his right and froze when his eyes fell on the person sleeping in the bed next to his. This felt like some kind of a life-changing mistake. Although he tried to reason with his brain and tell himself that it was all kinds of surreal, the sight in front of his eyes remained unchanging.

 

So what he had lost was his mind.

 

All he could do was to stare at his own form lying there - peacefully and relatively unharmed, completely unaware of the world around it. And with relatively unharmed he meant that there were no open wounds or bones sticking out- he did notice quite a couple of scratches and maybe a broken arm or leg, probably a concussion. Eric couldn’t tell so well as his head was heavy and his eyes were painfully dry. Maybe he had a major concussion as well or his eyesight had gone cross. It wasn’t everyday he found himself looking at his own sleeping form while lying in the bed next to it. Lying there quite comfortably, if he may add.

 

Am I a ghost? Then why can I move my arms and feet? Why do I even have arms and feet if I’m a ghost? Eric was getting gradually more and more angry with himself. Only explanation, he had gone mad. He was talking to himself already so he couldn't be far from the truth. Or he was hallucinating. Whatever it was, Eric felt his thoughts become more and more gibberish. The room was too hot, lights too bright and the beeping too loud. He became painfully aware of the ticking clock and the breeze coming from the half-open window.

 

Breathe, breathe, breathe, Eric chanted to himself while trying to figure out life.

 

A creaking sound snapped his mind back to reality. Someone was opening the door, stepping inside quietly. Someone he knew. To his great relief Eric recognized Junjin and, if he could trust his own eyes (which he particularly didn’t), Junjin seemed to be just as relieved. He didn’t look past him or over him or at that other strange person sleeping in the room. No, Junjin was looking at him, which meant Eric hadn’t died or become a ghost damned to hunt his groupmates for the rest of their lives. No, the guy beside him was probably just a long lost twin being checked into the hospital at the exact same time as he was.

 

It could happen. Eric had read about such things. There had been movies made-

 

‘Thanks God you woke up’ Junjin whispered and only now Eric realized how hoarse the other’s voice was and how red his eyes looked. He must have cried. An unpleasant feeling of guilt struck him. How ignorant had they both been with getting into a car crash and all that ? ‘It’s a miracle your injuries are so light’ the tall man came closer and sat down on the side, one of his hands coming in contact with Eric’s feverish forehead, brushing away the hair which stubbornly kept falling in his eyes. ‘But you need to rest more, hyung, you’re burning up’

 

Eric nodded, wanting to ask him thousand things but feeling too tired and forgetting them all at once. He really felt sleepy but there were just too many questions. Junjin smiled, realizing what was on Eric’s mind, so he hugged him instead of more talking, patting his back and squeezing him close.

 

‘You’ll be able to ask whatever you want once you rest some more, ok?’ he hummed to himself. Hearing Junjin's voice made Eric feel good so he just nodded, not overthinking it. When Junjin let go they were both smiling. An overwhelming feeling of not wanting him leave took over Eric’s whole body so when the other got up he grabbed his sleeve, practically begging him to stay just a bit longer. Junjin obliged and sat back down, smoothing out the creases of the thin bed cover while telling him about how worried the others had been and how they had agreed to not just barge in all together. He tried to joke how Minwoo had been the first to receive the call and had immediately proclaimed that he’s had enough and was leaving the group while Dongwan kept wondering if this was a hidden camera. Listening to Junjin’s voice felt good but by the time he had gotten to telling him about Andy’s suddenly discovered personality crisis, Eric was already half-asleep.

 

With heavy eyelids he observed the other tucking him in and going to the door, thankfully switching off the lights that hurt his eyes. Eric felt comfort in knowing that everything was going to be alright. Right now the world felt safe. Right until that moment just before Junjin left.

 

‘I’m just grateful you’re alive, Syungie’ he said before closing the door, the words sending violent shivers down Eric’s spine.

 

   ___

 

Eric tipped his head to one side, the reflection in the mirror doing the same. Quickly, as if trying to catch it being careless, he threw his head in the opposite direction, the reflection still mirroring his actions perfectly. He leaned in close, even closer, until his nose bumped against the glass. What a tiny nose it was. Eric studied it carefully, his face still pressed to the cool surface which was getting all fogged up from his breathing. His breathing. So he was alive and well and Hyesung.

 

Nothing to worry about.

 

From the side of his eye Eric glanced at his own sleeping form still in the bed. The doctors had told him that he was fine, just asleep, but he didn’t look fine to Eric. Due to his strained ankle and fractured rib (the doctor had sworn it wasn't broken) and concussion (But it could've been worse, he had dared to joke) they had given him stronger painkillers and sedatives.

 

But he would wake up soon, that’s what the doctor had said. The doctor also seemed to be avoiding him which Eric thought strange. But who would be the one waking up? Another him? A stranger? Hyesung? Eric sighed and pressed his cheek against the mirror. Anyone coming inside now would think he’d gone bananas but that didn't particularly worry him as of right now. He felt completely out of his skin.

 

How ironical. Out of my skin, he thought to himself bitterly.

 

‘Ah, my hair’s messy’ he said out loud when looking in the mirror, straightening himself and starting to smooth the loose strands. His hands stopped when he realized that it had been an automatic reaction which the body had learned on its own over the years, not his own free will. This was Hyesung’s reaction. With his hands falling back to his sides, Eric stared at his reflection. What. The. Actual. Hell.

 

A groan coming from the bed startled him and he jumped around when he realized the other was waking up. He had never felt so nervous in his life before. All the years on the stage and in front of cameras suddenly seemed like nothing. Eric was sure that if his heart was to beat any faster he would be in danger of a heart attack. That would be a successful but undesirable way of killing off himself and his group mate in one go.

 

The first word coming from the bed was a curse and a quite elaborate one at that. That was also the exact moment Eric knew that Hyesung was there, there in his body, not having disappeared in some weird unworldly dimension and the leader’s shoulders slumped down, him not having noticed how cramped up he had been.

 

‘You’re alive!’ he forgot about their current state or that fractured rib and concussion and rushed to hug him. ‘Oh dear God I’m just so glad’ he smiled at Hyesung, taking a good look at his face-

 

At his own face-

 

And that shocked expression.

 

And his face fell.

 

This was just-

 

‘Ugh...’

 

A pretty accurate thing to say to describe their situation.

 

‘What...’

 

Another good thing to say to elaborate on it.

 

‘Who are you?’

 

The perfect cherry on the top.

 

‘I can explain’ Eric stood up as he let the other go but he wasn't sure if he really could. Hyesung was probably in pain but the current shock was too much, preventing him from feeling anything but confusion. To Eric’s surprise, Hyesung remained silent. Not that he had expected him to start yelling and complaining like this was just an everyday occurrence but he had secretly hoped for it. If only things were that easy.

 

‘You see’ Eric’s hand shot up to fix his hair but he stopped it with his other hand, clutching it tightly. He most definitely looked manic now. ‘There’s been some really weird accident-’ If you could call it that. ‘And- I don’t know how, or why or if it’s actually possible-’ So far so good. He was not making any progress at all.

 

Good job, Eric, he congratulated himself as he stumbled over his words. All this time Hyesung had reminded eerily quiet.

 

‘-but right now- and I don’t want you to freak out-’ Which felt very hypocritical to say as he himself had started screaming when he first took a look in the mirror and saw Hyesung’s face there. ‘-but we have switched bodies’

 

Hyesung, or rather should he say Eric?, kept observing him calmly. Then he just turned to the side, grabbing the cover and pulling it over his head. ‘What a weird dream’ he muttered before closing his eyes and trying to fall asleep- or wake up- whichever worked.

 

‘Hyesung-ah’ Eric tried to stay calm despite getting frustrated by the other’s actions. Could he not understand the mess they were in right now? How could he be this ignorant? ‘Hyesung,' he shook him lightly, ‘wake up’

 

There was no reaction. ‘Come on, Pilkyo, wake up!’ he shook him harder.

 

‘Yah!’ the other yelled and sat up, angrily swatting the other’s hand, shocking Eric at the pure strength of the blow he received. He was not used to this. Hyesung’s, or rather his own face, scrunched up in pain and he grabbed at his chest, grunting. He should be avoiding any sudden movements but instead they were fighting. This was no good.

 

‘You alright?’ Eric leaned closer, taking the other by shoulders- very broad shoulders- and turning to face him. There were tears forming in those eyes and they both started transfixed at each other for a long time. Maybe it was not a long time, just a moment that seemed eternal.

 

‘Do I look ok to you?’ Hyesung asked in a whiny voice, making Eric cringe. Did he usually sound like that? No wonder the others complained. The tone was completely intolerable- but was not the point here. Poor Pilkyo just looked so confused- his pained expression easy to read despite being reflected on Eric’s face so he just hugged the younger, feeling his own eyes filling with tears.

 

‘I’m so sorry- I really am’ he sniffed, trying his best to avoid squeezing the man in his arms too tightly. ‘I don’t know how this happened but I promise we will figure this out somehow just- don't worry. It will be alright’

 

tbc.


 

A/N: Well, that was a pathetic ending there, guys. Crying like babies, as if anything bad had happened.

Uh, well, that is, I shouldn't insult my own writing. And some of you already guessed it- body switch. The idea just entertained me so... 

Oh, right, I got so many subscribers! Waaa~ Thank you so much for your interest! And another BIG thanks to the ones who commented!

Please tell me what you like or don't like so I can continue to improve :)