Fourth Chapter

Better Days

 

Fourth Chapter

Fourth Chapter

Yuri and Minho

 

12

The morning light pierced through the window’s blinds, extending into a thin luminous line on the person lying in her bed. Feeling the summer sun heat up some parts of her body, Kwon Soah lazily opened her eyes. Smiling at the sight of the morning, she threw her arms in the air and stretched.

“Soah!” a clear voice shouted before Yuri came barging in and jumping on her bed.

Crushed under her sister, Soah started giggling and moving in all direction to get the weight off her.

“Get off, Yul!” Soah said as she squirmed.

“No way, sis’. I’m not letting you go. And I have exciting news to share with you!”

Hearing that, Soah straightened and got into a listening mode. It was rare that her big sister wanted to share things with her and every time it happened, it made Soah feel special. After all, there was nothing she wanted more than be like her big sister. She looked up to Yuri like a lost soul following the North Star. Yuri shined so bright and sometimes she just felt so far away…

In a moment of pure sororal complicity, the oldest confided in the youngest about the boy who had just confessed to her.

“So, you are going out with Yesung?” Soah asked with a smile and the curious sparkly eyes of a girl who didn’t know what love was.

Yuri shook her head from left to right. “Not yet! I said I would think about it and I still have to give him my answer.”

“But you knew you’d say yes, right? Why did you need time to think about it?”

Fifteen-years old Yuri patted twelve-years old Soah’s head with a smug smile that meant she would understand when she grew up. Soah knew that smile. It was the one her mother used all the time. Soah surlily frowned and pouted.

“Don’t worry,” Yuri assured as she got up from her sister’s bed. “I’m sure you’ll get to fall in love too, one day. Now, get dressed, we have a party to attend to.”

Suddenly remembering, Soah got up from under the covers and took a pretty pink dress from her dresser. Putting it on, she proceeded to tie the ribbons at her waist behind her back all on her own and it gave her a sense of accomplishment. Running downstairs, she crashed into her mom, hopefully the one she wanted to see.

“Don’t run, Soah, we have guests,” Han Yoojoo demanded with a cold stare that made Soah lower her head. “This is the dress you chose... I thought you’d be wearing the blue one.”

Han Yoojoo, daughter of the rich and powerful Congressman Han, never asked questions. She made statements, ordered for things to happened, but would never willingly give someone the upper hand in a discussion.

Seeing her mother busy herself with the table setting, Soah looked down at the dress her mother bought her a year ago and caressed the chiffon cloth with her fingers.

“But look, I did it myself,” she whispered sadly.

“Did you?” said a voice behind her.

Soah turned around to see Yuri standing in the hallway with Minho. Thirteen-years old, Minho was their next-door neighbor and both sisters’ best friend. They all knew each other ever since childhood. Soah always found Minho to be too quiet, even though the boy was known for his energy.

“Yeah, Yul, I tied it myself!”

Yuri looked at the messy knot Soah had managed and even if it looked nothing like perfect, she smiled. “You did good, Soah!”

“Mom wants me to go change,” the younger girl reported bitterly.

“Really? It’s okay Soah, I think you’d look pretty in every dress. Don’t you think so, Minho?”

Minho gave Soah a stare and acquiesced with a shrug, although the blush on his cheeks did tell how he wasn’t use to give compliments to girls. The girl laughed and went back to her room to get changed. As soon as she was in her new dress – which looked slightly like a hanbok, despite the fact that it was western clothing – she went to her sister and her friend’s side and they played hide-and-seek all day. Of course, they got caught crawling under the tables, between the guests’ feet and got scolded, but they still managed to have fun, which was really all Soah could wish for.

 

13

Walking from school, Soah held her report card on her chest with a worried expression. Violently shaking her head, she refused to show Minho despite the fact he had just shown his.

“It’s not fair, Soah!” fourteen-years old Minho complained.

“It’s not the same thing! You’ve taken all those classes before and I don’t want to show you.”

Minho sighed and looked away, making Soah relieved. As the tension diminished, the boy took his chance and grabbed on the report card. Although Soah was still clutching it like her life depended on it, she wasn’t strong enough to resist such a sudden attack. With big round eyes, she watched him read the paper and then look her way. Bracing herself for the pity talk, Soah closed her eyes in abandon.

“It’s kind of good. Why are you so down?” Minho asked his friend.

Surprised, the girl let hang open, she snatched her report card back and read it again, wondering what on Earth made him think it wasn’t that bad.

“Do you know what Yuri got when she was in my grade?” Soah asked without waiting for an answer. “She got at least 10% more than I did, in all subjects. And I worked so hard too… My mom is going to be so angry!”

“Just show her your grade in arts, then. Yuri never got one of those.”

She looked at him as he smiled her way. Just how did he manage to see her grade in arts, hidden under all the other bad grades in such a short time? Sometimes, she just loved how much he paid attention to her. And how much he cared. And somehow, he always managed to say the one thing that made her happy.

It had been the same thing when she didn’t get to be class representative. He had just told her he would have voted for her if he could and it had made her smile.

“Thanks, Minho.”

“No problem, Soah.”

And with a smile she thought she would never be sad as long as he was by her side.

 

14

Soah stared at her reflection with a doubtful eye. Turning her head to the side, she wondered if maybe she should wear a headband.

“Miss Soah, someone at the door for you!” a maid told her through the closed door.

Deciding against the headband, Soah felt her heart ready to burst. Today was going to be the greatest day of her life. It was finally the time she would tell Minho how she felt. Yuri had tried to get her to tell who she liked numerous time without obtaining an answer. Soah kept her secret almost religiously.

She had realized not so long ago how he was always there for her, cheering her up when she was down and making her laugh when she was sad. He was the one she could share her whole life with as she knew he wasn’t going to judge. And more than anything, she liked how he would not try to force the truth out of her when she was lying, or try to arrange things in her distant family, or even tell her the answers to the tests she had that he already did. He knew she could fix her life on her own and that her pride wasn’t something she could easily step over. At fourteen years old, Soah held independence as one of her most important value. He knew she would ask for his help when she was ready and he was always there in case she was. She liked how he cared about her and knew her so well. And she was hoping she could get even closer and maybe learn about him. Love was so simple for Soah.

Skipping down the stairs, Soah practically felt like she was floating in happiness. She came to a halt when she saw him standing in the entrance. Feeling her heart accelerating, she smiled and was about to say ‘Hi’ when he looked in another direction. Yuri was walking toward him, holding a small stack of papers that looked like music scores.

“Can I help you?” Minho offered.

“Oh, I’m good. Weren’t you suppose to meet Soah today?” Yuri declined with a smile.

“I am still waiting for her…”

“I’m sure she’ll be there in a few seconds.”

And Yuri turned to an adjacent room to place her sheets on the piano and start rehearsing. Soon, a sweet melody filled the house and Soah felt a smile creep up her face. Having Yuri as a sister really made her proud. There was nothing she couldn’t do and Soah really made her a role model. Yuri was what she should aim to be if she wanted to make her mother proud.

“I’m here,” she told Minho as she went down a few more steps.

But he didn’t hear her; he did not even look her way. Following his stare, she realized his eyes were fixated on her sister. And the way he looked at her, with respect, admiration and longing, reminded her of the way she looked at him. Biting her lower lip, Soah felt something shatter as she came to know the boy she liked was infatuated with someone else. And never before had Soah wished as hard she could be Yuri.

 

15

Soah read the letter for the nth time. Swallowing, she made her way to the school’s yard. It was almost empty as everyone was still in classes and only the worst students ditched self-study. As she went around the building, Soah’s eyes lay on the incinerator and she stopped. Looking around, she noticed she was alone. Going back to the letter, she made sure she had the right time and the right place. With that checked, she gave another look around but she was still alone.

“Still waiting?”

Jumping in surprise, Soah turned around wondering if it was whom she thought it was. Was he the sender of the letter?

“Minho! Could it be that… Um… The letter…”

Soah cursed herself for stuttering but the possibility that he wanted to meet her here to confess was overwhelming and made her blush madly. Minho frowned, trying to decipher what she was saying and finally saw the letter she was crumpling in her hands due to the stress.

“Oh, that! No, don’t worry. It’s not from me.” And he started laughing as if he had made the funniest joke. Soah imitated him bitterly.

“I’m in love with someone else,” he confided while bowing his head.

“I know,” Soah simply stated.

He looked startled she knew but sheepishly rubbed the back of his head. “But the letter, I know who sent it. Actually, he’s my friend. I hope you’ll treat him well.”

She sighed. The possibility that she liked him was so foreign to him that he didn’t envision she could turn down his friend. Then again, if he didn’t like her, why wouldn’t she date someone else? And somewhere in the back of her mind, Soah thought if Minho saw her happy with another guy, he would realize how date-worthy she was and be jealous.

“Oh well, good luck!” he said as he ran away with what looked like a soccer ball he had just picked. It certainly explained why he was there.

Resuming to her waiting, Soah barely noticed when another guy stood in front of her, red from embarrassment.

“Hello,” he introduced himself with a bow. “I know we are not well acquaintance, but I’ve seen you around and I think you are very pretty and smart and you seem really nice. What I want to say is… I like you, please go out with me!”

Not very surprised by the turn of event – after all what could a girl expect from a letter in her locker that asked for a meeting? – she took a long look at the guy, trying to remember who he was. She had no clear memory of having ever met him, but it was true she hadn’t really paid attention to guy for the last year. And if he was friend with Minho, he couldn’t be that bad…

“Okay,” Soah finally agreed after a minute that looked excruciating for the poor guy.

 

16

“Soah! It was supposed to be a double date!” Yuri complained.

“Whatever, we broke up anyway.”

Yuri frowned, an expression she didn’t usually made, which Soah raised a brow at.

“Again? You are constantly breaking up and getting back together. You should make up your mind before he gets tired of it and leave forever.”

“This time it’s for good,” Soah replied acidly. “I won’t call him ever again!”

“What did he do?” Yuri inquired.

“He cheated on me with the new girl. I hate them both.”

The oldest took a critical look at her sister. “I don’t think you liked him anyway. Isn’t it more like your pride is crushed?”

Soah smiled at her Yuri. “You know me so well…”

“What should we do about tonight?”

“Let me call Minho.”

 

And of course their childhood friend had came when he heard of who was going to be there. He still hadn’t got over his little crush on Yuri, just as Soah hadn’t really gotten over him yet. But she tried her best, by going out with other guys and hanging with other friends. Yet, just a smile could get her to forget about her resolutions. He had that much of an effect.

Looking over to the opposite seat, she noticed how Yesung didn’t seem to have any fun and spent his time glaring at Minho. He wasn’t even looking at Yuri when she was doing her best to render Rihanna’s Umbrella. Soah guessed that after four years of relationship they had staled in an empty routine. On the other hand, Minho seemed thoroughly engrossed in every world Yuri sang.

Suddenly, everything seemed to be going really fast, at least to Soah’s eyes. Yuri sat down and tugged at her boyfriend’s sleeve to tell him she would have liked it if he listened, Yesung’s replied was an accusation of how she always needed the spotlight which prompted him to leave the room. Yuri went after him, followed by Minho and all Soah could hear from the karaoke booth was angry exclamations. And then, a loud voice: “I love you!”, despite the soundproof materials.

Left alone, Soah tried to process everything and realized how it was such a good opportunity for Minho if Yesung and Yuri really fought. Suddenly getting up, she opened the door to find Yuri sitting on the floor, crying, and her best friend standing a meter away, looked distressed. In a second, she understood what had happened. It was way too late. Yuri wasn’t shocked or surprised. She already knew how he felt. He had already told her long ago…

Seeing her sister, Yuri’s face lighted up and she went to her side. Hanging on her arm, she asked if it was okay for them to leave. It was the first time Soah had seen her so weak and fragile. Was it love that had turned the strong and confident Yuri into this frail woman?

Glaring at her best friend, Soah took Yuri home. He was surely feeling guilty, but she still couldn’t forgive what he had done to her dear sister. Really, confessing at that exact time?

 

The following days, both Kwon sisters had avoided any contact with Minho and it really didn’t help that they were neighbors. Yuri was embarrassed and didn’t know how to face him, but Soah was downright angry. He had caused confusion in her sister’s heart and probably was the cause of her breakup since Yesung really didn’t like him and Yuri already knew how he felt. While she had locked away her feelings because she didn’t want to create pain and awkwardness, she didn’t want things to change, he had done the exact opposite and acted on them. And she could never forgive him for the gap that was forever dug between them three. Even if she still liked him and a part of her forever would.

But as he rang their doorbell that day, Yuri had decided to go and talk with him instead of having Soah close the door on him. They went for a walk to straightened things out and when Yuri came back, she bagged Soah to pretend like it had never happened and for things to go back the way they were. And although Soah was never keen on erasing the past – as she believed it could never be forgotten and that there were no such things as new beginnings – she pretend like she could, for her sister’s sake.

As Soah’s thought, things weren’t back to the way they were. The three of them did hang out together like before, but Minho’s confession had sparked awareness in Yuri. She noticed him. The way she looked at him was different than before and soon Soah felt like the unwanted third wheel.

So when Yuri came into her room later that month to tell her she and Minho were now dating, it came to no surprise to Soah. With a smile, she congratulated her sister. She really meant it, unlike most would after such events. After all, if both persons she cared most about where happy, Soah could be too. So what if the ‘Happily Ever After’ wasn’t hers. Some day, she would find it. There would be better days. 

 

 


 

Author's Note

Author's Note

Here's more details about Soah's past. I don't know if you were curious, but I wrote it anyway. It's not a side chapter as what you read will be used in the story, so I put it as a normal chapter. There is probably tons of mistakes (I haven't proofread and am not a native speaker), but I hope you'll enjoy it. You'll find that despite everythin that can happen, family is very important to Soah. ^^

Just in case you were wondering and didn't feel like going back to the description, Soah is currently 23 in the present time. She was last seen as 16. Many things will happen next. Like, I don't know... Tiffany? XD And many characters that still have ??? as the role in the story in the description. ^^ But we'll be back to normal time for the next chapter. ;)

Thanks for reading!

And I take some time to say a special hello to my new readers. :)