Third Chapter

Better Days

 

Third Chapter

Third Chapter

Cause when you don't need anything, you create needs

 

The next morning was way better. With her slight stuffy nose and her voice still being rough, one could see she had been sick previously but it wasn’t as terrible as it had been… At least now, the room wasn’t spinning in all direction and she didn’t feel like sleeping for a thousand years. Yesterday still remained blurry for Soah, as if she had been drinking all night, which wasn’t the case since Soah hated being drunk.

She searched her memories for what might have happened. Chen, then Baekhyun, then Kyungsoo and Kris and finally Suho… She had interacted with way too many people on a sick day. It wasn’t that she worried about getting them sick, she couldn’t care less about them catching her cold – beside it was impossible to transmit viruses through phones – but whenever she was sick, Soah knew she regressed back to childish-Soah. And childish-Soah was attention-hungry and super annoying because she was so chirpy. Back in her childhood, Soah had really been like that, but she liked to think that she was now more mature and grown up and that sarcasm was just another power adulthood gave.

Rubbing her eyes with the back of her hands, she heard a short ring that undoubtedly came from her phone. Taking the device into her hands, Soah checked for an incoming text-message.

Are you better?

Joonmyun. She smiled at the way he was showing concern. Although she didn’t believe she loved him, she still greatly appreciated him. She was going to answer when she heard another buzzing sound.

Day off, sweetheart. Tell me you’re all better and even if you’re not, I’ll come here myself to kiss the pain away. You promised, by the way. No going back

Baekhyun. Soah could imagine him telling her that so well. In fact, Baekhyun, Jongdae and Chanyeol were the three employees she got along with the best.  She always seemed to work with Jongdae, which was why they became closer and she used to work with Chanyeol too, until Kris suddenly decided to change their shifts around and he was now working on the evenings. And Baekhyun… Well, Baekhyun worked the register with her from time to time but they were both so similar they had immediately clicked. But not that way. Soah was pretty sure Baekhyun was interested in men. But then again she never got confirmation.

She was going to answer to him and then answer to her boss when her phone rang again.

“What really? I’ve never been so popular…” Soah thought with a frown.

And it was true, she only send text-messages and e-mail twice a day, as opposed to the three hundred other girls her age could type. And she typed slowly too, maybe that was why she wasn’t texting much.

About tonight, I’ll come and get you at 6 o’clock at your house.

Dubiously staring at the screen, Soah wondered when exactly did she make plans to go eat with Kris. Was this going to be like a date? That’d be awkward. And how did he get her number? That remained a mystery. She would have to cancel. Or find an excuse…

Unlocking her phone, she managed to answer to everyone.

What do you mean ‘Should I dress up?’. We are going shopping, sweetheart, not ballroom dancing.

It took a while for Soah to understand the meaning of Baekhyun’s reply and she actually had to check their texting history. Blinking, Soah really wished that what she saw were an illusion. Shutting her phone off, she opened it back to find it was still the same. Somehow, she had managed to switch around her replies. She had managed to talk to Kris about her physical state and health when he never asked about it and sent the text that was meant for Baekhyun to Joonmyun.

Hurray for day off, right, honey? I’m all better, but I might just take the kiss as well! ;)

Hahaha! It’s good that you’re better. ^^

Slapping her hand on her face, she took a deep breath before analyzing her options. She could tell him it was a mistake, in fact, she had to! And then what… Soah was already apprehending the moment she would have to face him. Why did she had to be so bad with technology?

I’m so sorry, Joonmyun-ssi! This message was meant for someone else. >.<

I figured as much, don’t worry.

I’m sorry!!

Don’t be, it’s good that you are lively. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow for work, then.

She sighed, thinking the worse had been avoided. He could have read her message, found her disgusting and decided that he wanted no more contact with her for the rest of his life. She would have been fired, of course and then forced to sell her apart to get money. She would finally end her days under a bridge with the damned cellphone that wasn’t working anymore because she couldn’t pay the bill, and everyday she would look at it with anguish and wonder why.

“Whyyyy?” Soah groaned before snapping out of her thought and shaking her head.

Getting up, she walked toward her wardrobe, thought there were more clothes hanging on it than in it. She shivered as she undressed and changed into her day clothes. Glancing at her reflection in the mirror, she lifted a brow, judging of the way she looked. For once, she thought her orange hair fell down nicely. Getting closer, Soah inspected her face. Her cold gave her rosy cheeks and slightly swollen eyes, but she could live with it. Her red nose, however, was something else. Though she couldn’t and didn’t feel like covering it up, she grimaced at the thought that the whole world would know of the fact she had been sick.

“Whatever,” she said, looking away from herself.

Grabbing a handbag and her keys, she went out the door to meet with Baekhyun at the usual place.

She arrived earlier than he did. Although she was still late he was even later. When he finally came, walking effortlessly through the crowd and waved at her, she got up from the bench she was sitting on and met him halfway.

“So, what do you need?”

Baekhyun gave her a look like he didn’t recognize her. “Since when do you need something to go shopping?”

“Oh, yeah, that’s how you roll,” Soah admitted. “Well, I’m a little bit broke so I’ll just follow you.”

“Whatever you say,” Baekhyun said in his usual singsong tone. “I think you could use new shoes, however. The one you have are so last year!”

Soah looked down at her comfortably used pair of checkered kitten heels. She voluntarily admitted that they indeed seemed last year because that was when she bought them. And contrary to Baekhyun’s beliefs, she didn’t think a girl didn’t need a different pair of shoe for everyday of the week.

“You are so lucky and you don’t even realize it,” Baekhyun shook his head when she told him she’d pass on new footwear this time. “Women have so many gorgeous choices of clothing! And guys are left with the ugliest, drabbest things that were ever made. If I were you, I’d show off those legs with the highest heels possible.”

“Oh, my dear, feel free to show off your legs,” Soah laughed as she walked by his side.

Then went from one store to the other, Baekhyun having to try absolutely everything before he bought it and thoroughly refusing free sizes. She just trotted behind him, holding hangers and coming back with other sizes when needed. She also gave her opinion, which he always considered a second before deciding to go against almost systematically. In the end, she wondered why she even bothered.

They found themselves at the table of a family restaurant for lunch when Baekhyun finally asked her about the whole wrongly sent texts messages.

“Are you doing something tonight? Why would you ask about the dress code?”

“Oh!” and Soah’s eyes widened as she realized she forgot to cancel. She had planned to, because really, why would she even accept to go in the first place!

“I totally forgot… I think I made plan to go eat with Kris.”

“Uh!” And this was the first time Soah saw Baekhyun being speechless. “Boss Kris? Tall, blond, Chinese?”

“Yeah, him. I wanted to cancel anyway.” She dug in her handbag for her phone.

Baekhyun quickly put a hand on her arm to push it away. “That’s out of question!”

She gave him a dubious look, rubbing the now sore hand he had practically slapped.

“You will go! How many time does such an opportunity happen?”

Soah blinked. Maybe he was going mental. For sure she couldn’t go! It was probably childish-Soah’s fault anyway. All the more reasons to hate her.

“Great food you don’t have to pay for, probably a nice restaurant too and the possibility to show off a great date. Of course you are going to go!”

Okay, there was something about male employees and Kris. Something was fishy… Why would they all praise him? Maybe they were all being seduced by their boss…

“Whatever,” Soah said without admitting the talk about the food had won her over. “It’s too late to cancel anyway.”

How many times had it been since Soah last went to a restaurant? She worked hard every week doing a job that was majorly boring being paid practically nothing and that didn’t allow a lot of high-end nights and meals. She could make an exception, throw her pride away, just for one meal, right?

“What are you going to wear?”

Count on Baekhyun to go straight to the important stuff. Exposing her wardrobe choices she made up on the spot, Soah was met with her friend’s terrified and disgusted face.

“You have nothing worthy. It’s a real joke. I bet you weren’t even thinking of putting makeup.”

Truth be told, Soah believed that being sick, makeup probably wasn’t a good idea. Her mascara and eyeliner would run, her whole foundation would be melted away by the heat irradiating from her face and her lipstick would get smudged by the tissue she would blow her nose with.

“Thank God I’m here. Don’t worry, we’ll make you pretty.”

“Uh, thanks?” Soah uttered, feeling a sparkle in Baekhyun’s eyes she wasn’t so hot about.

The rest of the day consisted of her being pulled from one shop to the other, not unlike before, but this time she was the one trying things on.

“I don’t have money,” Soah kept repeating. “I’ll find something home.”

“Yeah, you’ll find your date running away. Trust me.”

And she would roll her eyes, go back to her changing room to try on the next dress. Hours after they started, Baekhyun seemed to be satisfied with the clothes she wore and swiped his credit card for her.

“Now, about this hair… Are you sure you want to keep it orange?”

The only answer he got was Soah’s glare while she bit the inside of her cheek. He got the message and held both his hands up as if he was surrendering.

                                                                     

When Kris got to Soah’s door, at exactly 6 o’clock – because that was just how punctual he was – he certainly didn’t expected for her to appear behind him, nor did he expected for her to look like this.

“Kris?” she asked.

Turning around, he had to double take on her appearance. Surely, it was the same Soah he knew. It was the same orange hair, but the top half of it was gathered at the back of her head while the rest lay down in soft waves. It was the same face with the same eyes, but they were lined in black, which only accentuated the strength of the curious look she was giving him.

“Is it already 6?” she asked again, taking out her phone to look at the time. “Oh, just let me leave my stuff inside and I’ll be with you in a few seconds…”

“Be with me?” he repeated, so softly she couldn’t hear.

She reached out for her keyhole, opened the door and dropped the bags, he only now realized she held, on the floor. Straightening back, she flattened her short white dress with the back of her hand.

“Alright. What did you plan?”

He blinked once then suddenly regained his composure and led the way to his car.

She surprisingly had a greater time than she would have thought. He had reserved a table for two at a rather fancy steakhouse. He did know her better than she would have guessed, which was pleasantly surprising. The conversation was pleasant but punctuated with deep silences, which didn’t really bother any of them. Once in a while, Kris would try – and fail – to make small talk, so she would take upon herself to be a nice girl and seem both interested and interesting. After all, she was really grateful that he invited her. The meal had been delicious and they were now finishing their dessert, occasionally sipping on a cup of tea for her and coffee for him.

“It’s nice that you’re better. Being sick really is no fun,” Kris tried. She smiled.

“It is.” She went quiet for few seconds. She did have a question on her mind, but would she dare say it out loud… Oh, and why not! “I was wondering… How did you get my number? ‘Cause you sent me a message this morning and it was unexpected.”

“Your cellphone was on the ground and when I took it, I figured it’d be best to have your number, just in case…”

“Oh! I thought you had asked someone else…”

Kris raised a brow. “Who would I have asked? Suho?”

“Well, sure…” Soah answered, unsure of what to say at this point.

Kris looked surprised. He frowned a little, taking in what she had said. “So he does have your number too?”

Soah felt herself blushing. “Yeah… In fact, the message you received was meant for him. I mixed up my replies this morning and he got Baekhyun’s. That was embarrassing…I’m technologically challenged.”

She sheepishly ran her hand through her hair with a nervous laugh. He chuckled.

“That’s cute.”

She was about to say something when suddenly something caught her eye. That girl that was just coming from the bathroom, she knew her. Soah’s eyes widened as she noticed that same girl’s gaze falling upon her. She seemed even more surprised. Soah got up, already making escapes plans when a hand touched her shoulder. Spinning around, she came face to face with a man.

“Minho,” she stated. And then turning to the woman: “Yuri.”

The black-haired woman was now only a meter away. She smiled. “Soah. How have you been?”

“I… uh… We were just about to go.” Soah cursed herself for stuttering in front of the ever so confident Yuri. She glanced at Kris who was calmly analyzing the situation.

“It’s good to see you,” Minho stated and she couldn’t help but smile. There was something about the way he smiled, maybe the fact that it was so rare for other people to see it, but it always made her warm inside, even after all this time.

“It’s good to see you too.”

“Did you change your number?” Yuri interrupted. “I tried to call you but your number was disconnected.”

“I did. My company was getting too pricey so I changed,” Soah lied. She didn’t really want to admit about changing phone number because it would only lead to…

“Give me your new number!” Yuri chirped.

That… She knew it. Biting her lip, she reluctantly shared contact info with both Yuri and Minho.

“We should do something soon, together,” the black-haired offered. “You should bring your boyfriend too, we’d love to meet him.”

Soah didn’t know why she did that, and thinking back she realized it was a pretty stupid move, but she didn’t denied Yuri’s assumption. Instead, she nodded and only strengthened it. Maybe she wanted to show off a little, like Baekhyun has suggested. Maybe she wanted to show both Yuri and Minho that she was moving on. Or maybe she was only loosing her mind…

Soon enough, the older couple was back to their own table and Soah was left to face Kris’ expression. He wasn’t angry like she thought he would be, but he looked confused and maybe… sad?

“I’m so sorry!” she apologized.

“It’s okay, I don’t mind. Who was that?”

"Kwon Yuri, my sister."

Kris nodded. Again, Soah felt a question on the tip of her tongue. She didn't know what happened, but when she hung out with her boss, she always seemed to watch her words. Unlike the way she acted with her friends.

“Then, maybe you won’t mind pretending again in front of them?” She was only pushing her luck and she knew it. But with the misunderstanding in place and her pride, she just couldn’t back out.

Kris gave her a sad smile she didn’t know he could manage. Why a soft gaze, he sighed. And she knew it didn’t mean good.

“It’s okay,” she assured him. “I knew it was too much to ask. Nevermind.”

“It’s not that I don’t want to help you. It’s that I can’t, for now.”

The silence that followed, unlike the previous, was truly awkward and she couldn’t even bring herself to look at him.

“It’s not that I don’t want to,” he repeated.

She smiled half-heartedly but quickly went back to sipping her tea. She had let the pouch infuse for too long. It was now cold and bitter.

 

 


 

Author's Note

Author's Note

I'm sorry for leaving you hanging for so long when I said I would update fast. So here I give you a longer chapter than usual. I salute my three new subs! Hello! Don't feel obligated to comment or stay, though. But I love you! This one is for you!

Next chapter might be going into Soah's past with Yuri and Minho.

I do hope the text-messages conversation wasn't too confusing. In paler grey are the text Soah sent and in dark grey are the one she received. I didn't indicate the sender, but please tell me my job at characterization is good enough so you can tell Suho from Baekhyun and Kris and vice-versa. ^^