Chapter 11

Monotonous Life, They Said

Chapter 11 - The Moons


 

How did he know my name. How did he know my name. How did that ing guy know my name.

  You slammed your body continously from left to right and the opposite, kicking the bolster that was at first on your right side but now already making out with the floor while the thoughts still flooded your mind since back then during the detention. You tried to recall back the moment on the rooftop, or in the restroom, but as you remembered, never you mention your own name even once whenever you're near him. You weren't sure if he knew that you're Jongup's little sister but it wasn't the matter now. All that mattered just why did he knew your name. And how? Did Jongup already told him your identity?

  You looked up to the door leading outside your room with half lided eyes. You knew that your brother already home, probably watching TV or playing video games in his room. You honestly wanted to get up from your bed then ask Jongup about that thing but something from your bed had been keeping you laid there without making any urge to leave the comfiness of it.

  Sighing in exasperation, you tossed your body once more before grabbing another pillow by your head to hug. You ended up closing your eyes but opened them immediately when you heard a blast of dubstep song played on your headphones, the one you wore it right now. You d the bed sheet, searching for your phone before swithching the song with the more mellow one, because you seriously needed a more relaxing atmosphere right now. After encirclling the headphones around your neck and turning the volume loud enough for you to hear without patching them on your ears, you tried to shut your eyes once more, hoping that you could finally reach the dreaming state.

 

  “Chop chop dinner time.” Jongup approached your bed after he slipped through your room while clapping his hand. You honestly could hear his voice and but for the sake of not getting disturbed, you kept your eyes shut and trying hard to feign unconscious.

  Noticing the bolster you kicked earlier, Jongup raised an eyebrow as he came approaching the poor weak figure before taking it then hit it to your head quite hard for you to let out a groan of disapproval.

“Get up now or another smack?” Jongup purposely half-whispered near your ear knowing entirely that you often felt uncomfortable whenever someone was too close to you—even if it's your brother.

  Instead of granting him a reply, you burried your face deeper to your pillow, not much caring that your headphones might be broken because of the pressure. You silently hoping that Jongup understand that you were sleeping while a series of swearing words whirled around in your head demanding to be spat off from your mouth towards your lovely brother.

  “You really can't wake can you?” Your brother asked with a cooing sound that you really disgust of before another smack from the bolster landed perfectly on your head once again. “I know you're awake my dearest sister!” Jongup shouted with an utterly annoyed tone. Before you know it, you found yourself being shooked harshly by your brother while he told you to wake up fast repeatedly until he reached your limit then you swiftly got up, grabbed the bolster, and crashed it pretty hard on Jongup's face.

“That's for disturbing me out, my lovely brother.” You spat right in front of his face.

Jongup let out a low growl before he made a sulking sound as he put up the face that always made you cringe. “Okay, okay, up to you. I won't force you anymore. It's up to you if you want to eat or not. But, don't blame me or sue me to Mom if you get sick. You know yourself how worrisome she can be.” He finally decided to leave your room without saying any word, silently wishing that you would call and apologize to him for hitting his face with the goddamn bolster.

“Hey wait,” He heard you called out. Sensing that you will say the wanted phrase, Jongup stood still in the space between the door and the wall with his back facing you and a wry smile was shown on his pouty face earlier.

“Don't forget to close the door.” You casually ordered.

Hearing that made Jongup's rage goes all up again along with the smile before dropped immediately. So he ended up slamming the door behind him as loud as ever. You only watched him in both pique and amusement. You shooked your head, thinking about just how dumb your brother was for not even realizing that he was the one who started the quarrel. And knowing him too well, you already expecting that he must be demanding an apologize from you without telling you directly.

 You decided to continue to drift off after you took off your headphones and placed them on the nightstand. You weren't in the mood to eat after all, besides you were aware that the purpose of Jongup calling you earlier was only to beg you to cook for dinner.

 

   You got woken up by a sound of something bumping to the floor that broke the silence that filled the house. Your forehead creased a little before you open one eye to see what happen. But you found nothing changed around your surroundings. You peeped through the curtain-covered window in your room and checked your alarm and found out that was almost midnight.

  That was the moment you heard your tummy grumbled, indicating that it had to be fed. You sighed as you started your way down to the first floor but stopped all of a sudden when you walked past Jongup's room.

Maybe the sound came from his room. You thought.

  Because of your sleepiness, you didn't even bother to check his room to search what's the thing that fell earlier and decided to just ignore it. When you reached the dining room with an expectation that there'll be nothing there, you found a plate of food served on the table instead. You gaped a little before slowly approaching the little cuisine and scrutinizing the food with a tinge of disbelief.

  “So he really asked me to eat with him huh,” you couldn't help but chuckled a little as you took the already-cold carbonara spaghetti to be heated in microwave.

 

“There's several parts that are still a bit hard,” You nibbled the food slowly, savoring the taste while starting a monologue about how the food tasted.

  Jongup and you usually did that. The fact that you two had quite the skills to cook since your parents were living apart from you, made the both of you often giving comments or compliments to one another about the foods you two had cooked. Sometimes it's pretty useful to tell out your opinions like that so that you'd know what's lacking on your food or something else so you can improve your cooking.

“but nevermind, it's tasty enough anyway.” You said before you devour the pasta completely.

After you washed the dishes, you scurried back to your room but decided to stop by your brother's room first. You stuck your head in only to see Jongup already asleep soundly on the floor while the TV in his room still on.

Good. So the disturbing voice earlier came from his heavy body.

 You shifted carefully to his desk and picked a sheet of a yellow post-it before you wrote a 'Thanks' on it. After doing the deed, you approach him and brushed aside his bangs that covered his face. You stared at him for a while then noticed that he was grabbing the remote of the TV. Knowing that's kind of wasteful to leave a television on while you're asleep, you pulled the remote before you turn it off.

You quickly got your attention on his face again before you stick the post-it note on his wide forehead a little bit too hard that made him stirred to the other side while a little. You left silently after you carelessly threw a blanket over him. So he ended up left behind with floor and blanket embracing him.

*          *          *

 

 The brightness that emanated from the window caused you to flutter your eyes open. Once you got your vision cleared, you found an already-dressed-up figure of your brother leaving your room without closing the door again.

You squinted your eyes at the alarm on the night stand, and it showed that you only have about half an hour left to reach school.

“.”

You hunched your body up before you sprinted to the bathroom to take a shower as quick as possible. After you shut the door closed, you just noticed that you got something on your right cheek when you stared at the mirror. A familiar yellow note.

You plucked it and scanned the message written on it quickly that you already knew that's from your brother, because only him that could make your face contorted into a glum one in the morning.

You surely acted like a bratty kid. It said.

You huffed in disapproval as you crumpled the paper and tossed it to the trashcan. “You surely acted like a bratty kid.” You mimicked the message while making a face before you turn the shower on.

Without caring how you look, you grabbed your backpack and put all the essentials inside including a pair of headphones of course. You made your way downstairs to grab a toast and two packs of juices from the refrigerator. You held the toast between your teeth as you stumbled to open your backpack and shove the juice packs inside.

As you tried to munch the toast quickly, you noticed that the front door wasn't closed again. So you sensed that your brother was still around. “Jongup! Why didn't you wake me up?” You tried to yell but your voice just came out sounded hoarse.

After clearing your throat, you decided to just put your shoes quickly and hurry outside to catch Jongup up.

After you double checked the door to make sure it's already locked, you whirled around but stopped immediately when you saw Jongup was nowhere to be seen. You grab the toast that was sticking between your teeth earlier and took a bite of it as you looked around. Yes, Jongup just left you. You assumed.

You closed the gate then turned right to start speed-walking to your school. Since the school you went to wasn't too far from your house—just a couple of blocks away, you rarely go there with bus. Despite how lazy you were, you prefer walking there than catching a bus everyday. You found it kind of boring to wait a bus to halt at the bus stop, and by feet, you could easily turn around if you forgot something in your house.

You heard chatters from the house in front of your house and there came a voice of a person you were looking for. You whipped your head to the side and found that he was walking from the porch with another familiar 'he'. Your eyebrows rosed when the name of a guy next to Jongup clicked on your mind.

Zelo.

You clenched your jaw as soon as you met eyes with him then looked away. You quickly pushed the whole piece remained of your toast to your mouth and scurried away to avoid them.

“Holy moly! Is this really fate or what? First finding out that my bestfriend's actually my neighbor and then now I meet her,” Zelo said while pointing at you.

You just rolled your eyes as you continued to walk away to prevent any questions from both of them—partically Zelo.

“Holy moly indeed. She actually lives at my house,” Jongup said flatly.

You frozed on your track for a second before you look over your shoulder to meet Jongup's cold but lazy gaze staring back at you. You tried to gave him a telepathy telling him to stop right there and not to spill anything more.

Henceforth, what Jongup did was only raising an eyebrow at you without saying anything. From the look on his face, you could tell that he was still a bit pissed off because of your attitude last night.

“Really? I mean, who is she to you?” Zelo raised his voice and his face said it all. He was flabbergasted.

“Well, what do you think?” Jongup asked back, signing that he wasn't in the mood to talk about you nor answering loads of Zelo's questions.

Realizing that you already staying there too long watching the two whom you thought they didn't really worth your time especially in a time like this, you turned around and left them.

You took a quick glance on your watch and cursed silently when you found that you only have less than 10 minutes to reach school. You changed your walk to jog in aim to arrive at school earlier.

 

Meanwhile Zelo and Jongup,

they already resumed walking to school with Jongup had to handle Zelo who bombared him with endless questions since you left.

“Okay stop with all the queries,” Jongup finally cut him off.

“The hell I won't. There's still plenty—”

“Please.” Jongup said while rubbing his temple. Then finally Zelo heavy heartedly stopped asking him questions.

After a good few seconds of silence passed by, Jongup spoke up again. “You know her name from me right?”

Zelo nodded in response.

“And you got detention with her with the same infringement?”

Once again, he nodded.

“When I called you that night, you said that you caught a glimpse of my name written on her phone, then I said that I am actually close with her, right?” Jongup hadn't stop yet even though they already entered the school's area.

There's no response from Zelo for a while before he answered again, “Um... Yes?”

Jongup side eyed him before continuing again, entirely ignoring the greetings from his and Zelo's friends and the squeals from the girl students. “When you were called by Mr. Kang yesterday, I'm sure that Tae Rin was there as well,”

“Yeah, so?” Zelo said with a lack of the anticipated tone he had earlier, he seemed already got tired of Jongup throwing questions which he had no clue where would this going to.

“Okay last, do you remember what name did Mr. Kang refer to her?”

“What do you mean?”

The shorter guy only stared at his bestfriend as the students in the hallway began to decrease since the bell was already ringing.

“Ah, gotta go now. We go to different homeroom this period right? Well, see ya.” and with that, Jongup left Zelo there dumbfounded.

“H-hey!” Zelo shouted while Jongup kept on walking without looking back anymore.

“What's with that weird behaviour of him,” Zelo muttered as he speed-walked through the hallway to his class, he still thinking about what his bestfriend meant. “The name Mr. Kang refer? He mean what did he call her? Of course it must be her last name, right? So what's the matter?” Zelo entered his class casually right before the teacher come to his class. He took an empty space on a chair next to Hyuk. A girl student in front of him greeted him with a smile on her face and he just lifted a corner of his lips upwards curtly.

“What's wrong Zelo?” Asked Ahreum, the girl who sat next to the previous girl who greeted him earlier.

Zelo shifted his gaze to her before he shook his head and showed her a small smile, “Nothing.”

Ahreum tilted her head with a questioning look on her face before she nonetheless shrugged.

“Okay then.”

She turned his attention back to the teacher while Zelo absently kept watching her before he got nudged on the shoulder by Hyuk.

“What's with the dreamy eyes huh?” Hyuk said mockily. Zelo just rolled his eyes while he diverted his gaze to the board without granting him a response.

  The first period felt like forever to Zelo. And he didn't even pay attention on the subject since his mind kept on wondering about what Jongup had said before.

Her last name perhaps?

Zelo fiddled his pen while staring blankly on the board with his chin rested on top of his palm. He stuck with the thought of her last name. He tried to remember it, he tried to remember what did Mr. Kang called her yesterday.

After several minutes of thinking, Zelo gave up and just decided to ask Jongup directly later. So he ended up drabbling on his book to distract himself.

A name appeared so suddenly in his mind that made him stop his drabble.

Ms. Moon.

Right, Mr. Kang called her that.

Moon Tae Rin. The same family name as Jongup's.

And something snapped on his mind along with a small smirk of satisfaction came on his face.

Well hello there the younger member of the Moon siblings.


[A/N] Whoa, I just realized that this story's last update was back in December. I apologize for this super duper late late late update. I really hope that the next chapter will come way faster than this one. Yeah, I hope i could finish it faster. It's been hectic months for me since school succeeded to eat me up. Everyday was filled with studying, studying, and studying. So, here is a looong chapter as an apology and don't forget to drop a comment because I really want to know how's your opinion about this story:)

Once again, sorry and thank you!