By Chance II

Peter Pan's Sister [Hiatus]

“Seriously guys, you two look good together. Too good I almost believed you were dating. You’re dating, aren’t you?! YOU LITTLE PIECE OF SHI—AW!” Chanyeol tried to joke as his two friends approached him, only to receive a punch on the gut.

“Hyung, next time aim for his balls. Gotta go fags, see you around.” Sehun walked  past his hyungs to his own class. Not minding the couple of eyeshadow ed eyes devouring his image. Oh Sehun is quite famous in campus, not because of being an athlete or a singing prodigy, but because of his pretty boy face.

“HYA OH SEHUN COME BACK HERE YOU PUNK! WHO YOU CALLING HUH!” Chanyeol tried to catch the sophomore’s collar but failed when Baekhyun dragged him inside their own classroom.

“Shut up or I’m gonna karate chop your balls into pieces and feed them to the birds.”

“Why is everyone talking about my balls? You wanna see them huh you gay !”

Baekhyun eyed the tall guy as if he just told him to eat bricks. He cracked his knuckles which caused Chanyeol to flinch. As if on cue, Chanyeol’s imaginary puppy ears flopped down. Baekhyun is definitely shorter than Chanyeol but his height is no match for Baekhyun’s Hapkido skills.

“Okay okay.. geez  man. You gotta relax right there buddy. What’s up?”

“Nothing.”

“Nothing my . You look like a constipated dog. Come on spill it.”

Chanyeol knew Baekhyun all too well to notice something’s bothering him. They met each other during kindergarten and they were inseparable from then on. Them may seem to have the hostile kind of friendship(death threats to each other, Baekhyun practicing Hapkido on Chanyeol,  just normal things like that), but they have always been on each other’s side when they needed it the most.

“And you look like you could use a good kick.”

“Is it a girl? What is she pretty? You have a girlfriend? She y? Oooh this is exciting!” Chanyeol clasped his hands and leaned closer to Baekhyun’s table, grinning like a madman.

“Wait, what? No, you ert. And get away from me. You look like Hannah Montana getting excited.” He shoved the taller boy away in his face.

“So you watch Hannah Montana? OHMYGOD BYUN ING BAEKHYUN WATCHES HAN--” Baekhyun sent Chanyeol his deadliest glare which effectively halted the latter from humiliating him.

“H-hannibal. I was about to say Hannibal... ”

“It’s no big deal. I bumped--” Baekhyun flinched at the memory of the girl’s wounded knees. He suddenly felt guilty for not accompanying her to the clinic.”--I bumped into this girl whom I swear I’ve already seen somewhere. I just don’t know when or where. That’s it.”

“I knew it. I just knew it! I think you like her.” Chanyeol’s cheekbones ascended to heaven.

“Are you deaf? I said I was curious. Seriously, you gotta clean your ears dude. It’s not healthy anymore.”

“Whatever man. You gotta introduce her to me first, okay.”

“I said I only bumped into her. err quite literally.” He said the last one in a hushed tone.

“And just that you got, what, dazed and confused? She must be really pretty.”

“Whatever. Hey, I’m singing tonight.”

“Yeah, sure. I’ll be there to cheer you up like any girlfriend would.” Chanyeol gave Baekhyun a suggestive look.

Before Baekhyun could respond, their teacher went inside the room.

During the day, Baekhyun is your average guy who trains Hapkido. He transforms into a sensual balladeer by night whenever he wants to. He doesn’t really have a band, he just sings in the open mic sessions in this bar he and Chanyeol frequented. He’s so good that the owner of the bar feels happy whenever he sings because, quite honestly, his voice really attracts more guests.

“Seriously man, you could be famous if you want to. Even more famous than some of those really trashy idols. Like, man you could sing! I mean, I know you can sing but , wow.” Chanyeol’s eyes were about to pop out in awe and disbelief at the same time as he eyed his bestfriend walking down from the stage. Baekhyun completely took the whole audience away by his solo performance. This was the first time he sang publicly.

“Uh, no thanks. I prefer this side of me to be hidden.” He coolly sipped on his drink, ignoring the jaw-dropped Chanyeol beside him.

“Hidden? You just sang in front of all these people in this bar, what part of ‘hidden’ is that?”

“At least they don’t know me.” Baekhyun chuckled to himself.

--------------

 After her last class, Krystal stuffed her things inside her locker immediately. She anxiously waited for classes to be finished because her knee is starting to feel really bad. Earlier, she noticed small drops of blood trickling down her shin and since the bell already rang, she decided to just use her handkerchief to cover up the wound.

It took her a while to walk out of her building since she’s practically limping. Too bad for her, the school’s gate is a bit far from her building.

First day, first accident. Wow, Krystal Jung, you really are a luck—

“Miss?”

Krystal’s thoughts were interrupted by a familiar voice. It’s the same guy from earlier today—the one who’s responsible for her bloodied knee. Obvious from his heavy panting that he has run quite a long distance to get from where she is. Head hung low and hands on his knees, he tried to calm his burning lungs by taking a deep breath. He then noticed the poorly wrapped handkerchief around her right knee. Krystal thought for a second that he saw him flinch.

“Yes?”

“I-I am very sorry for earlier today. If you—”

“It’s okay. No big deal. Bye.” With that, Krystal turned around to leave when the guy with puppy eyes spoke again.

“Miss, please let me at least do something. I can’t let you go home in that state.” He walked ahead Krystal to face her.

“It’s okay. I can go hom—”

He raised his right hand which carries a white box, obviously a first aid kit, and waved it in the air for emphasis. Krystal wondered why she did not notice it earlier. As much as she wanted to sleep in her bed right now, her knees could use a little treatment before it gets really worse. Plus, the guys sincerity is evident, so why not? She slowly nod and the guy let out a sigh of relief. He spotted a bench nearby from where they are and he stretched out his hand towards Krystal in attempt to help her walk but unfortunately, Krystal already advanced towards the bench. He awkwardly scratched the back of his head hoping to disguise his embarrassment.

“Uh, so.. You’re new here?”

Beside her, the guy attempted to engage a small talk with Krystal while he took out the contents of the first aid kit. She saw a bottle of what seems like water, Betadine, sterilized packs of gauze, and a surgical tape.

“Yeah.”

“Where are you from?”

“I’m from L.A.”

Sensing that Krystal is not much for small talks, he stopped asking for more questions even though he’s itching to and just settled in glancing at her side profile every once in a while.

“Is she pretty?” He suddenly remembered Sehun’s question earlier today.

Beside him, Krystal’s long black hair is swaying with the wind. When it blew away from her face, he clearly saw her nose, her face, round eyes, and her small, pouty lips which is surprisingly pink sans lipstick or gloss. He can bet with his life that she’s not wearing an ounce of make-up on her face. Some clear lip gloss or petroleum jelly maybe because her lips were not chapped.

Yes, Sehun. She is really, really pretty.

“Excuse me..”

He suddenly felt his face heat up in embarrassment when he realized that he just stalled in front of her while mentally admiring her beauty—and she caught him.

“I-I’m sorry. I just t-thought about something—uh, yeah.. I’ll start n-now..”

As he awkwardly kneeled in front of Krystal’s knees, she cut him off even before he was able to start.

“Uh, I can do this. Thanks.”

Krystal got the bottle of water from his hands started to stretch her legs across the bench and started to unwind the dirty handkerchief to expose her wounds.

“I’m so sorry, again. That must’ve hurt a lot.”

“I said it’s okay. No biggie.” He must have seen the damage he has done and felt guilty. Her knees did not only have cuts, it has also bruises which are now in the hue of green and light violet. He can only stare at her as she cleaned her wounds. In no time, she’s already applying the last tape on her gauzed knee which secured it in place.

After putting back all contents of the first aid kit, Krystal handed it back to him.

“Here. Thanks for this. I must go now.” She bowed to him as farewell as he remembered that Heechul will be waiting for him. She started to walk away when she felt a hand gently grip her arms.

“You did all the cleaning and stuff, will you at least let me help you to the gate? It’ll take you the whole night to reach it with your pace like that.” I wasn’t a request. But he said too gently for Krystal to agree. He then swiftly got her bag, and slung it in his other shoulder. Krystal can no longer protest as he started to walk, carefully dragging her with him.

“Where’s your car?” He asked as they neared the gate.

“I still can’t drive. Someone will be here to fetch me any minute now. You can go back now. Thanks.”

“Okay. B-be careful. Uh, I’m Baekyun by the way.”

“I’m Krystal.” He wasn’t sure if she’ll reply but he was really happy that she did.

“Bye, Krystal.” Baekhyun waved at her with a stupid smile on his face.

“Bye.”

Sparing her one last glance, he turned back inside the school gates to return the first aid kit he borrowed from the clinic, take his bag and car, and leave.

Krystal is somehow puzzled that Heechul, who promised to be just there when school ends, is still not here. Maybe he was still up for an errand, Krystal tried to reason to herself. Minutes passed, still no sign of Heechul. She started to worry a lot when an hour has passed but Heechul is still not there. It’s been an hour and her is already starting to ache from sitting on the railings. Since she doesn’t have his number, nor any number from her house, she decided to calm herself and think of plans on how to go home alone. She tried not to panic when she thought about being in a foreign place she doesn’t even know where.

A car halted in front of her, catching her off guard. She would have been happier to see a white car, which is what she rode in this morning, instead of a black one. The windows of the car rolled down.

“Krystal?”

It was Baekhyun.