An Unentitled Boy

Musings of a Muse
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jiyong POV

My blood ran cold. There was a plethora of things that had happened between us that I didn't want caught on tape. If I was lucky, it would just be footage of the two of us driving together, or having lunch. There was no skin-ship involved there, so it would be easy to cover as just friends. If not,. . . well, no amount of "They're just friends" and "Nicole and Jiyong just met today", despite the truth involved, would convince the public that we weren't in a secret relationship after someone saw me on my knees and kissing her hands. But if it's a scandal I thought, Why are they so happy?

"Chaerinnie, Minzy." I said cautiously "Didn't Teddy-hyung ban 2NE1 from the internet so you could just relax and enjoy your 5-year anniversary?" That's what he told them anyway; we didn't want to risk any one of them seeing the video of Nicki and maknae.

The two of them shared a guilty look before Chaerinnie began pleading. "We're sorry, oppa. It's just that all the eyk members have been teasing about a big summer event, to be announced today, and we didn't want to wait. We swear, we didn't go to twitter or me2day or instagram or any news site, we only went to eyk."

Well, there's ONE crisis averted, at least. "So, you saw the videos for the k-queen cover contest. What did you think?"

"Wait, you already know?" Minzy asked me. "Geez, VIPs are fast. And shouldn't we be asking you that?" Chaerin nodded in agreement, before adding "I mean, we loved her video. Soo Zee and Leigh were hilarious, but Nicole's concept was so original, and it still fit perfectly, but she was intense. She freaked me out more then a little when it got to-"

"The blood scene? I know, it was perfect for the video but her face was terrifying. And her voice? She almost as good as Bom-unnie." 2NE1's maknae finished.

The more they talked, the more I realized I was missing something big. "What are you two talking about? I heard that they were doing a cover competition, but that's all."

The two crazy girls fixed me with equally disbelieving looks. "Nicole-unni did Lies!" They chorused. "Come here, and watch." Chaerin ordered me in her 'Leader Voice'. "Pull it up, maknae."

Why didn't she tell me? I wondered as I waited for Minzy to pull up the webpage. She brought up the competition, it's a norebang standby and a modern classic, so she couldn't have thought I'd be angry at someone else for singing it. Why wouldn't mention that she was covering Lies?

30 seconds later, it was abundantly clear that she hadn't told me because she was hoping I'd never see it. The video portrayed Nicki as a truly insane sasaeng fan, with her walls being covered in Big Bang posters, all her food marked with quotes from us about our favorites, her writing a letter to us when she her thumb and drizzled her own blood across the paper with a frighteningly calm facial expression, before culminating in a scene where she was walking down the street before stopping to kiss a poster of us on a wall. Well, less us, more me. Still, I wasn't freaked out, not from the video, at least. I knew she was acting, and she changed the text in the last scene of the music video from 'I'm so sorry but I love you' to 'I swear to god, I'm not actually a sasaeng in real life'. No, what was freaking me out was "Her voice. It's incredible."

Chaerin grinned with an air of blatant superiority. "I told you. She obviously sings more in the lower register, but there some serious power there. So, did you like it? 'Cause Minzy and I want to spread the word to blackjacks, you know, rally her some troops, but if you don't want us to, we won't."

I smirked, pulled out my phone and logged onto twitter. "I think her video was 10 times better than ours was, and that between blackjacks and VIPs, we can get Nicole a solid lead, if not a win." Chaerin and Minzy high-fived and grabbed their purses off the floor. "Thank you oppa." Minzy cooed. "We have lunch plans with Bom-unni and Dara-unni, and then we're going shopping, so we won't see you until the party tonight. Please don't spend all day in here." Chaerin pleaded from the doorway

"No promises, ladies. I found a muse and I need to work while she's still around. Now, go. Have fun." I plopped by bag onto the sofa and sat down to work. I pulled my headphones and began the arduous process of getting the song in my head into reality.

Three hours later, I'd managed to get the instrumental down. It wasn't anywhere near as polished as most of my other work, but it wasn't supposed to be. It was a pop-punk-rock song, strong and high-energy, but not over-powering. It had some nice guitar riffs and a good bass line, but what really cinched it was the keyboard; it added the hint of apology and openness that just solidified the tone I was going for- the power of an aggressive confession, with the softer acknowledgement that confessing doesn't mean she'll respond how you want, and she has every right to that. The lyrics, on the other hand, were proving difficult. I sighed and opened Nicole's twitter account, hoping that something she said would give me  direction to go in. I scrolled through, scanning the tweets rapid-fire. Thank god she doesn't tweet about every little thing in her life. 

After twenty or so minutes, I had come to 4 conclusions: 1) Nicki i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter