First Duet

Confusion (On Hiatus)

Word Count: ~900

--

 

Apparently, someone had gotten to the manager before Yixing had because by the time the Chinese boy called History’s manager a few days later, the manager thought that the call was merely a confirmation formality as opposed to an application. “What times can you work during the week?” the manager replied once Yixing had given the manager his name.

“Sorry?”

“What times are you free to work during the week?”

“I’m free every night after seven,” Yixing replied.

“Then you’ll be working with Baekhyun and Chanyeol,” the manager stated. “I hope to see you on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Would you also be willing to fill in on days when others cannot come?”

“Yes?” The questions came and went so quickly, Yixing wasn’t quite sure what he had agreed to.

“Then I will see you in two days on the stage at five sharp,” the manager finished. Before Yixing could respond, he had already hung up the phone and Yixing was left staring at the flashing red “call ended” symbol.

 

“I’m going to be working at History now,” Yixing informed his friend as they sipped bubble tea at the shop by their university. Luhan replied merely with an eyebrow raise. “I honestly have no idea how it happened. I called the manager and he just told me where to be and when,” he continued. The corner of Luhan’s mouth twitched but Yixing didn’t notice.

“Congratulations,” the doe-eyed boy replied as smoothly as he could, although to his ears it sounded stiff at best but to Yixing it sounded convincing enough.

“Thanks.” His smile was like a shot through the heart with cupid’s arrow even now and Luhan had to take a sip of tea to prevent himself from smiling like a smitten schoolgirl. Jongin was one lucky something-or-other, he thought silently. “What do you think I should do for performances?” Yixing wondered out loud.

“What do you mean by that?”

“Clothes and performance?”

“It probably depends on who you’re performing with. They have different styles and different performances. Baekhyun is classier and can sometimes seem a little stiffer simply because he only sings, unlike Chanyeol, who does both instrumentals and vocals. Chanyeol is also a lot more casual in dress than Baekhyun,” the older explained. “I suppose with Baekhyun, you should pay more attention to your appearance. He prefers something more chic during performances,” he continued. “In order to match that style, I suggest you wear vests or collared shirts.”

“Wow ge. You’re really good at this stuff,” Yixing commented, earning a small smile and a pat on the head.

“Anything for my little star,” he teased in Mandarin.

“That’s not my name ge!” Yixing protested. “It’s the other Xing.”

Luhan’s shoulders bobbed with amusement. “You’re becoming a star now. One day you’re performing live in a club and the next, you’ll be on a stage as a solo artist,” he mused.

“Quit joking Lulu.”

“I’m serious! You’ll achieve your dream.” And I’ll be here for you every step of the way, he added silently.

 

--

 

“Well don’t you look dashing tonight,” Baekhyun commented when he saw his duet partner the evening of their first performance.

“Luhan helped me choose what to wear,” Yixing replied with a dimpled smile. Baekhyun bit down on his lip to keep from smiling too widely at Yixing’s innocence.

“Are you ready to perform tonight?” Baekhyun asked, quickly changing the subject before he could say something bridging on profane.

“I went over the music you sent me and I think I’m ready,” Yixing replied a little uncertainly. Baekhyun had only messaged him the day prior about the fact that they would be performing together and what song he was planning on singing. Yixing had never heard the song and the sheets read a melody in an uncomfortably high range. The Chinese boy hoped that it would turn out okay, but then again, Baekhyun was very talented as a singer.

“Looks like it’s time for us to go on stage,” Baekhyun announced, giving Yixing a quick tap on the bum, and eliciting a surprised yelp, before striding out onto the stage. The applause practically made him glow and Yixing couldn’t help from smiling ahs he followed the short Korean onto the stage.

Yixing took a seat at the piano bench, sheets spread across the music rack and scanned the sheets one last time quickly.

“Tonight is the first performance of many that will have this fine young man as my accompaniment and duet partner, Yixing,” Baekhyun announced to the attentive crowd. “Our first song of the evening is called ‘Baby Don’t Cry’. I hope you enjoy.”

On cue, Yixing began the instrumental beginning. When Baekhyun began to sing, he almost stopped out of shock. He had heard the Korean boy’s singing before but tonight he seemed to be especially clear and passionate.

 

The end of the song was met with a stunned silence but as Baekhyun opened his eyes, having closed them as he sang the high notes, trickles of applause rolled together into thunderous noise and he beamed out at the crowd. Yixing applauded from his position at the piano and Baekhyun couldn’t help from blushing just a little. As he stood there, he pictured the dimples prominent on Yixing’s smiling face and felt something he thought he wouldn’t feel as he got involved in this game of hearts and crushes. He felt his heart flutter just a little. Who would have thought that he would fall so easily for this boy? He thought he had decided that he would stay out of love for a while and that this was merely a game. He was evidently wrong.

 

 

A/N: Sorry for the short chapter. I hope you liked it regardless! The BaekXing will develop more soon and the plot will progress~