That Dummy

BLISS (Prequel of Ultra Numb and Benumbed)

Chapter 3: That Dummy

 

So there’s this boy….

And his name is Seung Hyun.

We walk slowly through the park near the orphanage; I would look at him for seconds than look somewhere else. He didn’t talk much this time, not like last time. He probably figured I liked the quiet environment. I did but I wanted to hear his voice more.

“I didn’t know that you spoke English that well.” He murmured enough for me to hear.

“I do, but I don’t speak it much because Korean is always spoken.”

“Mhmm.” He smiled.

I looked at him, meeting his dark brown eyes. “You should speak English with me; I know some but not as well. You can help me improve.”

“Only if you want.”

“I do.”

I nodded and looked away from him.

“So what are you doing after high school?”

“I’m going to college to become a photographer.”

“Hmm…photography?”

I nodded, “I always found interest in that field of art.”

“Jiyong told me you have an eye for design. He told me you design most of his pre-CD labels.”

“Only because he asked me too.”

“Why do you like Jiyong?” He stopped walking.

As much as I wanted to answered, I couldn’t.

“What’s it to you?” I said defending myself.

He chuckled, “I’m just curious.”

“Curiosity killed the cat you know.”

He chuckled again, and started walking.


I got back to the orphanage around noon, Seung Hyun walked me back. He mentioned he was going to go back and train more.

After he left, I laid in bed looking at the ceiling. I was having mutual feelings for Seung Hyun and I didn’t want too. At first it was impossible for me to look at another boy that wasn’t Jiyong, but now I was. I felt bad about it.

Pricilla walked to the room, dropping her bags to the floor. She sighed and I looked her way. She smiled at me and I gave her a small smile as well.

“I found another job.” She spoke. “It’s a fruit juices and café place.”

“We’re going to fine, don’t worry too much.”

“I know Eliza but it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

I nodded. She was right.

“Hey.” She whispered walking to my bed. “I heard you left with a boy this morning, they said it wasn’t Jiyong. Who was it eh?”

“Where did you hear that from?”

“You know Ana, she goes gossiping about everybody’s lives. Glad we won’t be seeing her anymore. So come on, tell me. Who was it?”

“Seung Hyun.” I said coldly.

“What! Seung Hyun!”

I quickly covered , with my cold hand.

She started laughing, “I knew he liked you, it was all in his body language with you.”

I gave her a confuse look.

“Oh come on Eliza as if you haven’t notice. He looks at you different than me. He likes you and from the looks a lot.”

“Yay you’re nuts.”

“You can’t deny the truth.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Where did you guys go eh?”

I shrugged my shoulders, “Breakfast, he made me feel bad so I went with him.”

“Awwhh I have to give credit to Seung Hyun, he already took you out on a date.”

“It’s not like that-“

“Even if you deny it, you already went out with him which automatically makes it a date.”

Pricilla started giggling; she covered so she wouldn’t burst into laughter. It was true Seung Hyun had tricked me into going out with him.

“That dummy!” I murmured.


Jiyong eyes were on me, I could feel them. I smiled and looked up at him.

“You should stop staring you know.”

He grinned. “I really like that hair color on you; the red hair brings out your brown eyes and pale skin.”

“Thanks.” I whispered and drank some of my Thai tea.

“How was your morning?”

“Good.”

He raised his eyebrow, “Just good?”

I nodded, “How was yours?”

“We danced most of the time today, I’m exhausted.”

“You look exhausted.” I slowly reached for Jiyong’s hand than my cellphone vibrated.

It was a new text message, at first I thought it would be Pricilla but it wasn’t. The number I didn’t recognize it.

 ‘How's your day going?’

I stared at it for a minute than another message arrived.

‘hahaha I forgot to mentioned myself. It’s Seung Hyun.’

My eyes widen.

“Is everything okay Eliza?”

I flipped the cellphone close quickly.

“Do you have to go back to the Orphanage?”

Cellphone vibrated again.

“Who is it?” Jiyong asked, with his mouth full of rice.

“Ahhh…a friend.” I answered nervously.

“Why don’t you text your friend back?”

“It’s not important-“

The cellphone vibrated again this time, twice.

I looked at Jiyong, he looked confused.

“You’re phone keeps vibrating, it seems important to me.”

My heart started to race, once the cellphone started ringing.

“You should take the call Eliza.” Jiyong said.

I nodded and stood up from our table, walking away.

“Hello.” I answered.

“Please stop avoiding me.” His deep voice ringed inside of me.

I groaned, “Stop stalking me. How did you get my number stalker?”

He chuckled, “Jiyong. So I was thinking we should-“

“Did you ask Jiyong or did you steal it off his cellphone?”

“Why so curious?” He laughed; he was taking his revenge from earlier today.

“I’m going to hang up, right now-“

“Elizabeth, why are you being mean to me?”

I could picture his pout face, he was acting like a child. A side I thought he never had, especially from his cold appearance.

“Why did you trick me this morning?” I asked almost yelling.

“It was the only way that you would go out with me.”

“You dummy!”

“Hey.” He chuckled, “Be nice to your Oppa.”

“Oppa?” I questioned, I laughed sarcastically. “No you’re not my Oppa.”

“I am though; you can’t call Jiyong Oppa because technically you’re four months older than him,”

He continued, “Also, if you call another guy Oppa, than you’re cheating on me.”

“What! You’re crazy. I’m hanging up.”

I flipped the cellphone close, it began to ring again.

“Aish, this guy.” I murmured. I shut the cellphone off.

I went back to the table where Jiyong was, he looked up and smiled. “Is everything all right?”

“Ji, did you-“ I stopped at mid question, I didn’t want Seung Hyun to get in trouble if Jiyong I asked if he gave him my number to him.

“If I what?” Jiyong questioned.

“Nothing.”

Jiyong chuckled, and continued eating.

 

Seung Hyun that dummy.

I smiled.