Boy

BLISS (Prequel of Ultra Numb and Benumbed)

Chapter 3: Boy

In the corner of my eye, I could feel Seung Hyun’s eyes on me again. I was unease. He was only a seat away from me; Jiyong was on my right and Pricilla on my left. After classes, we all agreed to have lunch together in a small BBQ restaurant two blocks away. Youngbae and Pricilla took turns cooking the pork skins, on the grill. Jiyong moved a little closer to me.

“You alright? You’re quiet today?” he asked, placing a spoon full of steam white rice in his little mouth.

I nodded, “I’m fine.”

“Worried about exams baby?”

“You could say that.”

Jiyong chuckled, “At least you have time to study, I barely have time. Don’t worry you’ll ace all of them.”

I smiled at him.

“Anybody want more pork skins?” Youngbae asked.

Jiyong handed his oval plastic plate to him, I knew Jiyong hardly ate. I worried about him a lot when I didn’t see him. I couldn’t take care of him like I use too. I noticed that he had dark circles underneath his eyes already, I frowned.

He noticed.

His dark chocolate eyes made their way to mine light auburn eyes. “What?” he questioned.

I reached over, and light brushed my fingers tips underneath his dark circles, he shivered under my touch.

“You promise me you would sleep more Ji.” I whispered.

He laughed, “I cannot sometimes. I been having a lot of insomnia, my body is tired but my mind is not.”

“But you promise.”

“It’s hard when you’re not next to me Eliza.”

“You can call you know.”

He nodded, “But is not the same, I want you there lying with me physically.”  

I exhaled, “Someday we will. Someday when one of us can’t sleep we’ll sneak to each other’s room and know that we are there for each other.”

Jiyong smiled brighter at me, “That’s why I am working hard baby. So one day we’ll share an apartment together.”

I smiled. “But sleep Jiyong seriously, I don’t want to see my best friend in a hospital bed from exhaustion.”

“I will, I will.”

Youngbae’s cellphone rang than.

“Yeoboseyo President.” He answered.

“Ne. Ne. Jiyong and I will be right there.”

Youngbae turn to look at Jiyong, “President needs us.”

“Does he need me too?” Seung Hyun asked, with his mouth full.

“I don’t think so hyung; he wants Jiyong and me to rehearsal English songs again.”

Jiyong groaned, “I already did four today.”

Youngbae smiles, “Practice makes perfect Jiyong.”

Jiyong turned to look at me with his sadden eyes. “Sorry.”

I smiled my best to him, so I wouldn’t worry him, “it’s okay. Fighting G-dragon!”

Jiyong stuffed rice into his mouth and hugged me, he waved bye to Pricilla.

“Hyung could you walk the girls home for me?” Jiyong asked with his mouth full, still chewing on his rice.

Seung Hyun looked at me than, “Sure.”

His deep voice rang in my ears and my heart stopped beating for a second, I looked away from him.

“Thanks.” Jiyong quickly exit out the door with Youngbae.


Pricilla wanted to stop by the bookstore to pick up, one of the graphic novels she was waiting for. I didn’t mind, but I felt bad that Seung Hyun had to babysit us.

Pricilla went inside, while Seung Hyun and I stayed outside. I wanted to come along with her, but she didn’t want me too. I was feeling uneasy. Seung Hyun was standing right me beside me, a little closer than he should me. I took a deep breath and look into the streets ahead of me, cars driving by.

“Jiyong has told me a lot about you.” He murmured. His voice was strong and deep. I had to get use it, but his voice was so rare to me.

I nodded. I didn’t look at him; I put my hands into my pockets.

“But.” He hasted than, making me look up at him. He was so tall.

“But he didn’t make something clear; maybe you can clear it out for me.”

“Clear what out?” I asked.

He smiled, his eyes meeting mine. “If you two are dating?”

I furrowed my eyebrows together, I was slightly confused but the idea trolled inside my head. What was he getting at with this? Why he was suddenly interested in my relationship with my best friend? As much as I wanted to say yes, I couldn’t because I knew that Jiyong didn’t see me like that. At least not like a lover, like I wanted him to.

“No.” I whispered.

He raised his eyebrow, “No?”

Why was he trolling with me?

“No.” I replied.

“But you want to right?”

“What!?”

He laughed; his laughter was deep and soft. It was beautiful actually.

“The way you look at him. Honestly I don’t know why he hasn’t noticed it yet.”

I guess my facial expression frightened him, because he stopped laughing than.  

“I’m sorry.” He murmured enough for me to hear.

Pricilla came out of the bookstore with a small plastic bag, she walked toward us.

“What’s wrong with you two?”

I shrugged and started walking, leaving them behind.


We were four blocks away from the bookstore to the orphanage, Pricilla stayed behind with Seung Hyun and they talked while I was walking a little ahead of them.  I could still hear their voices, and somewhat their conversations. It bothered me that Seung Hyun noticed my feelings towards Jiyong, and Jiyong couldn’t. I know that Jiyong was busy with training; I know he tried his best to come see me. We were comfortable with each other, we acted like lovers but in reality we weren’t. We were just best friends and nothing more. But it hurt and it hurt a lot, I didn’t notice my tears were falling.

I was so caught with the emotions I was feeling inside, that I didn’t realize it. I quickly wipe the tears and breathe in. I was glad no one was around me, I heard Pricilla giggle in the background. I got to the gate of the orphanage, and waited for them. The guard saw me and he opened the gate enough for us to get in.

“Thanks for walking us Seung Hyun.” Pricilla said.

When Pricilla walked inside, I followed her but I was held back. Seung Hyun grabbed my arm gently and pulled me outside the gate.

“Elizabeth.” His voice was softer. “I’m sorry; I didn’t mean to upset you.”

I didn’t say anything, I avoid his eyes.

“I won’t tell him. I promise.”   His voice was sincere.

“Promise?” I muttered.

He nodded and smiled.

“Thank you." I said, leaving him standing outside the gate looking at me.