So there's this boy

BLISS (Prequel of Ultra Numb and Benumbed)

Chapter 4: So there’s this boy

 

The cellphone vibrated against my pillow, I groaned. It was the weekend; I slowly opened my tired eyes to the bright light that was coming outside.

I looked at Pricilla’s bed that was across from mine, she was gone. She probably went job hunting; she was worried that we wouldn’t have enough money to sustain ourselves. She worried too much, that I started to worry as well.

I grabbed the cellphone that was sitting on my pillow and flip it out, reading the text message.

‘Good morning baby!’

I press the reply button, it was barely eight o’clock.

‘Hey Ji, morning to you.’

‘I have practice until 5, wanna meet up after?’

‘Sure.’

‘I’ll call you when I am there.’

I set the cellphone on the nightstand, than they knock the door.

“Come in.”

Our nursing mother came in, she looked worried but she managed to smile. I sit up from bed and she walked her way to me and sat next to me.

“Elizabeth.” Her voice was soft and sweet.

She slowly pulled me into an embrace, and placed my head on her slim shoulder.

“You become a very brilliant young woman child. I saw you grow each year, seeing you and Pricilla grow has been the best thing that has ever happen to me.”

I smiled.

“Now, Pricilla and you are off to make your lives.”

She moved her hand to my red hair, “I’m going to miss you both so much.”

“I’ll miss you more.”

“Elizabeth. I wanted to talk you. I had the same talk with Pricilla this morning.”

“About what mother?”

“About the outside world from here, about how life will be.”

I stayed quite, she continued.

“Once you start living on your own outside from these doors, things will change. You’ll meet new people, make new friends. Perhaps you’ll find your first love.”

I hummed.

“Remember what I taught you Elizabeth, boys turn into men and they only look for one thing. Love makes us blind daring. Don’t let love make you blind.”

She stopped my hair and I looked at her. I had a feeling she was referring to Jiyong.

“Jiyong is not like that.”

“I’m not talking to Jiyong sweetheart. Jiyong is one of the few that look after the girl they love and only want the best for her.”

“I don’t understand.” I murmured.

She smiled at me than, “Perhaps Jiyong is not your first love like you think he is. Perhaps you fall in love with the idea he would be.”

 I dropped my eyes from her, and looked down at my pale hands.

“You will fall in love; you will experience heart breaks, disappointments. But that doesn’t mean you should quit. What I am trying to say darling, is that no matter what happens, you promise you will keep fighting for what you want. If you fall you get right up.”

“Promise me Elizabeth. Promise if Pricilla falls you will be right there to help her stand up.”

“I promise.”

She embraced tightly. “That’s my child.”

“Remember, if you need anything. I’ll right here for you. Don’t ever haste to come, my child.”

“I won’t.”

She wiped her tears and mine, and kissed my forehead.

“All right enough with sadness. How’s everything will the moving in?”

“Pricilla and I found an apartment close to the university we be attending. Our date is set.”

“Good to hear, child.”

Our nursing mother’s assist enter our room, knocking the door and opening it.

“Mother, sorry for the interruption but there’s a boy looking for Elizabeth. He is waiting outside.”  


The sunshine was covered by the enormous clouds; I walked my way to the gate where I spotted Seung Hyun. His back was facing me. For some reason, I felt annoyed that he had the nerve to come after what he told me two days ago.

I groaned, I didn’t want to talk him, not the less see him. But in manners it was the right thing to do.

I waved at the guard, for him to open the gate. Seung Hyun turned to face me, smiling at me.

“Good morning.” His deep voice ring inside of me, I haven’t gotten use to his voice yet. It was still foreign to me.

“Morning.” I murmured

I shaved my cold hands inside my pockets and looked up at him.

“I want to steal you for couple hours, join me for breakfast?”

“Shouldn’t you be training?” I retorted.

He chuckled; I didn’t know what was funny. His deep laughter filled my ears.

“Day off actually-“

“Listen Seung Hyun, if you’re trying to –“

“I’m trying to be your friend-“

“I don’t need a friend.”

He looked away from me.  I sighed and decide to walk away but he grabbed my arm.

“So you’re going to make me eat alone than?”

I sighed and pulled away my arm way from his hold, “Yes.”

“That’s cruel Elizabeth. You’re going to make Jiyong’s hyung eat alone, like a loner.”

“Are you trying to make feel guilty?”

“I hope is working.”

It was my turn to laugh, “its working.”


Seung Hyun sat in front me in the round table, his eyes not leaving me. I looked down at the menu, feeling uneasy.

“I thought you would like something different besides Korean food.”

I looked up meaning his dark eyes.

“I do like pancakes.”

He grinned. “I thought so.”

I look down at my menu again; I felt his foot tap mine. I heard him laugh again.

“What?” I asked.

He moved forward a little closer to me, “I can’t really read English yet.”

“Oh. Hmm… do you want me to read it for you?”

“Please.”

I put down my menu, and read the first lines.

“Waffle with two eggs, pancakes with strawberries. Orange French toast.”

“I hate oranges.” He murmured his voice was beautiful. I continued to read.

“Ham and eggs with pancakes, blueberry donuts.”

I looked up at him.

“I think pancakes.” He said.

I nodded.

The waitress came and took our order, we waited silently. I look every elsewhere but him. I was nervous but I didn’t want him to know. I saw a girl sitting two tables away from me; she was checking her make up. She turned to look at me and gave me a dirty look, than looked to Seung Hyun. I have forgotten that I didn’t belong here. I wasn’t Korean, I don’t know what I was but I wasn’t like them. I looked down, than I felt Seung Hyun’s hand intertwined with mine. His long thin warm fingers, warming my cold ones.

“Hey!” He shouted.

I looked at him, and his eyes were on the young Korean girl. The Korean girl looked at him, “You’re intimating my girlfriend.”

“Seung Hyun!” I said surprised.

The girl frowned and didn’t look at us again.

Seung Hyun turned to look at me, a smile forming in his lips. “I saw what she did. Don’t ever frown Elizabeth, you’re more than you think you are. Don’t doubt yourself because being different is better than being the same.”

I smiled and his gripped tighten on my hand.

 

So there’s this boy….

And his name is Seung Hyun.


A/N: Hey readers! Because of an exam that is coming up in a week. I won't be updating for about two weeks. Thanks for the support! :)