Ch 5

Dimension Disaster

 

The next day, the news of Charlene's abduction spread like wildfire. The hot topic of the day, it was discussed by many, murmured in all corridors.
'Is it true?' the students of the school would ask, only to receive uncertain answers.
'Is it true that that girl Charlene choi was abducted directly from her home? Wow, that's stupid,' one student commented as Aaron and Gillian walked by. Gillian's eyes widened in shock at what she had heard. With worry-filled eyes, she looked up at Aaron and was rewarded with a comforting smile from him.
'It might just be a rumour. Don't worry about it so much,' he said, his voice soft and calming to the ear. Slightly comforted but still feeling disturbed, Gillian shook her head, mumbling that she had better confirm Charlene's safety. With fumbling hands, Gillian sought out her handphone and dialed the phone number of Charlene's home.
'Hello?' a voice that was on the verge of breaking answered. Recognizing the voice as Charlene's mother's, concern filled Gillian's voice as she asked,'Aunty? What's wrong?' Sniffling could be heard from the other side of the line as Charlene's mother told Gillian all. With shaking hands, Gillian clasped her handphone tight, her complexion paling by the minute. Seeing Gillian's reaction, Aaron felt a feeling of worry overwhelm him. Finally, the call was over and Gillian looked at Aaron apprehensively, reluctant to break the bad news. An unmeasurable greatness of fear came over Aaron and he gripped Gillian's arm forcefully.
'How is she?' he asked with a worry-filled voice.
'Ouch!' Gillian exclaimed, wriggling away from Aaron's grip. 'That hurts,' she said, wincing.
'Ooops, sorry,' Aaron apologized, releasing his grip on her arm.
'What happened?' he asked a moment later, concern lining his every feature. Gillian looked down and spoke the words that Aaron dreaded to hear, words that confirmed Charlene's abduction.
'Aaron,' she whispered. ' I'm so worried for her. I...I...' Tears dropped as fear overwhelmed Charlene's best friend. She looked at Aaron with a look full of sorrow and Aaron, being the kind-hearted soul he was, pulled her in for a comforting hug. Gillian continued sobbing, her tears never ceasing. Charlene had been her friend since they were 3 years old. How could she just suddenly disappear??? Aaron comforted her, patting her with soothing gestures. He completely understood how she felt but right now he had more important things to attend to.
'Xiao Yu,' he mentally called. 'We have a problem. Charlene's missing.' Immediately answering, Xiao Yu's voice carried worry and a sense of urgency in it. 
'What do you mean missing?'
'She was abducted from her home, just yesterday according to her mom.'
'By whom?' was his answer.
' I don't know,' Aaron admitted. Silence followed as the truth and shock of it all settled in. Finally, Xiao Yu spoke. 
'Oh...Oh my gosh...' he muttered.'I...I need to discuss this with Ah Sa. Um...I'll talk to you later. Bye.'
'Bye,' Aaron said solemnly, ending the brief conversation.
'Hey, Gil. Don't be so upset. I'm sure we'll be able to find Charlene.' Aaron smiled reassuringly at the crying girl before him. He too was worried for Charlene but right now he could not do anything except offer his condolescence to her best friend. He just hoped that Xiao Yu and Ah Sa would be able to find a way to save Charlene. An image of the forever cheerful, smiling face appeared before his mind's eye. A single tear escaped  from the shelter of his eyelids as he prepared himself for the worst. He did not believe the words he had so easily and convincingly told Gillian earlier, for he knew that Charlene's kidnap was not of simple nature.
--------------------------------
'Who can it be? Who could have abducted Charlene?' Xiao Yu asked, throwing all his questions in the air, asking no one in particular. 'Now what do we do? We need Charlene's help to defeat the demon!'
'Actually, we can defeat the demon with just Aaron's help,' Ah Sa cut in. 
'True,' Xiao Yu admitted. 'We can, but we still need to save Charlene! Afterall, she is pratically you! But...who could have committed such an act? Aargh!!!' Xiao Yu cried in frustration, pacing to and fro in an agitated manner.
'Xiao Yu, calm down. Let's think through this calmly. First, we have to find out if the abductor or abductors are from their dimension or our dimension. What about this,' Ah Sa said thoughtfully, 'ask Aaron if the abductors or abductors have shown any signs of being from either dimension such as asking for ransom money which would prove that the abduction of Charlene was done by people of their dimension.' Xiao Yu nodded as he acknowledge the wisdom in Ah Sa's words. With a serios expression on his face, he called out to Aaron mentally.\
'Aaron?' Xiao Yu's voice sounded in Aaron's mind, demanding his immediate attention. 
'Yes?' he answered, an expecting tone to his voice. Xiao Yu's answer came swiftly, causing his attention to be totally drawn away from Gillian's constant chatter.
'Are you aware if the abductor or abductors of Charlene had any ulterior motive in kidnapping her, such as demanding ransom money?'
'No,' was Aaron's answer.'There are none of such things. The abductor or abductors did not contact Charlene's parents at all.'
'In that case, do you think you could visit the scene of crime to see if there are any clues that would pinpoint the abductor or abductors to be from my dimension?' Xiao Yu asked.
'You suspect the abductor is from your dimension?' a shocked Aaron asked.
'You never know. Anything is possible.'
Aaron nodded in understanding. 'Alright, then.' Ending the call, he broke out of his reverie and turned to the still talking Gillian. 
'Gillian, do you think i could visit Charlene's home?'
-----------------------