Chapter Three

Lingering Despair

My fingers hesitantly turned the key in the lock. My teeth sank into my bottom lip as I pushed the door open. 

Everything, weirdly, looked opulent from the gleaming wood floors covered in loving throw rugs to the sheer curtains billowing like mist on the wall of floor to ceiling windows that faced a slope. The furnishing were old but had a story to tell, so they had to be antiques with what looked like hand carved workmanship each area of the room melting into the beauty of the next with some delicate settees next to more heavy bookcases and fireplaces that mated with the walls that appeared to be actually used. 

This was actually the first time I examined my house, this closely, or else I would just have walked up to my room. 

"This is where you live?" Sungjong asked, his mouth slightly open. "I always thought people who lived in houses like this would be arrogant," he continued. Sungyeol began chuckled at Sungjong's innocent remark. My lips just tilted up, he's trying to say I'm not arrogant. 

Snapping out of it, I told them to stay in the living room whilst I headed to the kitchen to get some drinks and order pizza. On my way back with a tray of coke, I heard the harmony of their laughter. Leaning against the doorframe, my eyes stung from watching them tumble around the floor, giggling to each other's tickle.  

Sungyeol sensed my presence and waved me forward. He took my tray and pulled me down. His gaze then switched to Sungjong before nodding. “One, two, three!” Both their hand approached my stomach. A great chuckle escaped my mouth and I lay on the floor, rolling side to side, kicking my legs up high. 

“Stop,” I barely breathed out. This was too much, are they trying to murder me? “Stop,” I repeated, laughing harder. Tears ran down my cheek. Everything, than, paused as they became aware of the seriousness of my cry. I let out a deep breath and began to cough. After five minutes, I galloped down the soda I brought. My eyes looked up to see the two staring at me a sallow expression. A forced smiled formed on my face and I waved it off. “It’s ok, I’m ok,” I reassured but they knew better; they weren't ten year old kids that can be fooled easily. 

“I’m sorry,” Sungjong said with his head hung low. Sungyeol just patted my shoulder and I shook my head. “We shouldn’t have done that,” he continued. I’m glad he talked, for once. 

 

Hours past, and the project was coming along just fine. There were times of awkwardness but Sungyeol tried his best to get rid of him with his stupid acts and jokes. “Oh, look at the time,” I pointed out. “Isn’t it getting a little late?” I questioned, worrying about their safety. 

“We will just stay over for the night.” My eyes widened at Sungyeol’s casual speech. “Why you so shocked? We used to stay over at each other’s place when we were little.” He smiled, remembering the past. “Go get us some of your clothes, we will sleep on the floor here!” he said so easily. I nodded and did as I was told. 

My tracksuit bottoms were a little short for Sungyeol, which looked funny. Since I had a large top, it fitted him well. Sungjong, everything seemed to be perfect. He was my height, after all. 

We lay side-by-side looking up at the ceiling. Sungyeol, in the middle, had his head resting on his hands. Sungjong had his hands crossed. I just left my hands hanging. My eyelids, suddenly, felt heavy so it closed shut. 

 

I woke up, the next morning, with a little shock. Staring at Sungyeol's back, I realized he stayed over. The smile that was pinned to my face was wiped off after seeing the closeness of the two. Sungyeol's right leg rested over Sungjong's, whilst his right hand was on the other's stomach, which the younger held onto. I erased the image and went to take a shower. 

 

"Myungsoo, can I use your bathroom?" Sungjong shot at me when I opened the door to the living room. I slowly nodded and he rushed off with one of my towels, leaving Sungyeol and I alone.

"Sungyeol," I started, hesitantly. I bit into my lips whilst my eyes dancing to every corner. I placed one hand over the other to prevent it from moving to my lips. My heartbeat suddenly started to quicken and ears filled with white noise. I just needed to know, like a confirmation to my absurd theory.

"Hm?" he said, concentrating on folding the sheets. I stood up and moved opposite to him, trying to help by holding the other end. "Go on," he whispered. Our eyes locked for a moment before the attention went back to the sheets.

"D-do you like Sungjong?" I quickly ended, with a little difficulty. 

"Yeah," he affirmed without a second thought. I just bit harder into my lip and nodded. 

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I asked, curiosity playing on the back of my tongue.

"You didn't ask." He looked up to see my confused expression and laughed. "Dude, didn't I make it obvious?" A smirk played on the corner of his lips making me smile. 

"I guess you did." 

I picked up the sheets and took them upstairs. No wonder he is so happy. He doesn't care what other people think of him. He just openly admits to everything. He just openly accepts everything. Hiding it, is like going through hell repeatedly. 

 

A week later... 

My bottom began to hurt. Why is Sungyeol so late? Today, I'm going to tell him. Today, I need to let it out so that he understands why I’m always quiet and weird. Lesson is about to start soon, though. Where is he? I stood up and looked down. My eyes caught a glimpse of long legs running up. 

"Myungsoo, sorry sorry. I needed make sure Sungjong got something. Anyway, what is it that you wanted to tell me?" he barely asked, panting so hard as if he just ran a marathon. He sat down on the stairs, unable to stand, holding onto the one of the poles. I knelt down and handed him the water bottle I had. He galloped down the whole thing. 

I shook my head. "Catch your breath, then I will tell you," I pitied. I shouldn't have texted him a thousand times telling him to hurry. I felt bad but I had to get this out. Sungyeol is the only person I can trust. 

He takes deep breaths then straightens up. He looked at the empty water bottle and smiled, "I guess you won’t need this.” His smile disappeared, all of a sudden, “Anyway, we got two minutes till break ends. Hurry!" he ordered as if he sensed it was important. 

"Um. How do I say this? I-I I like a-a g-" I stuttered so badly that I couldn’t finish the sentence. I bite down on my lips then took a deep breath to continue. "G-" 

"You like a girl? Who? Since when? Why are you telling me now, idiot?" he started making theories before I even finish again. He started listing all the names of the girls in our year. 

I slapped his head to get his attention again. "Yah! Let me finish! This is hard to say, you know." I looked down, "I-I like a guy," I whispered, loudly. 

Before any response was given, I heard a grasp and it wasn't Sungyeol. I looked at the window that was two feet away from the stairs. I saw long hair. Did that person hear? The bell went off. I rushed back to class, forgetting Sungyeol, wondering what may happen next. 

 

I walked into class to have everyone’s eyes on me. We all heard a cough from the speakers in the corner of the ceiling, which broke the deadly silence. An announcement was made to inform us to use the next hour doing self-study due to our teacher being ill. That’s was worse, without a teacher how am I going to survive this next hour alive? 

“Myungsoo,” someone called in a disgusted tone. A cold vibe ran down my spine. “Are you really gay?” My heartbeat got louder. I looked up to see everyone’s faces merging in front of me. My sight got blurrier as words like, ‘oppa, are you gay?’, ‘disgusting’, ‘how can you do this?’ seemed as if it was said from far away. 

“What’s wrong with you lot?” a whisper broke everyone’s relentless words and brought me back to Earth. I turned around to see Sungjong stand up. “What’s wrong with being gay?” he asked, clearly scared but still pulled up the little strength he had. 

“Did you make him gay?” a girl questioned. “Was it you?” My head sunk, he shouldn’t have said anything. All the attention turned to Sungjong as he sank back into his seat. “Was it you, I said?” that girl asked again. I wanted to slap her so hard but what to do, she’s a girl. 

A lightly built person stood, pushed through the people and pulled Sungjong up by his collar. He banged him into the wall and stared hard at him. Sungjong’s eyes plead to let him go but Bang Da Sung just grabbed a bunch of his brown hair and pulled hard on it. He let out a cry of pain. I can't ta- 

“Stop it.” Sungyeol’s voice was soft but demanding and scary, which sent shivers down my spine. I stared at him than back at Bang Da Sung to see him lean into Sungjong’s face and whispers words that made Sungjong’s eyes widen with fear. Nervously, he sank into his seat and placed his head down on his table. I turned in my seat, as a feeling of unease slapped against me. 

 

My heart ached at the sight of Sungjong hurrying towards the gate to stay away from the haunting words that the students, of school, spit. I had to apologize of the torture he has to go through so I rushed down the stairs to catch him before he leaves. 

“Where you going, Jong.ie?” I heard a voice say when I reached the yard in front of the building. I looked up to see Bang Da Sung towering over the delicate Sungjong. He pushed fragile one against the gate as he grasped his collar and, repetitively, smashed him into the metal. I could see the water of salt pour down his eyes as his sat on the floor, enduring everything in. The bully, on the other hand, did not stop. 

My teeth clenched as tight as my fists. My leg, unconsciously, took a step forward but fell back into place as a tall dark person shadowed over Sungjong and shook Bang Da Sung’s hand that instant released Sungjong’s collar. I felt the stiffness between the two than everything became relaxed as Bang Da Sung backed away shooting cuts at the younger, who was on the floor unable to move. 

Sungyeol stood with his arms hung loosely on either side of his body. He then opened his arms slightly making a little room. He bent his legs a little and indicated Sungjong to hop onto his back. Sungjong, weakly, approached him and placed his left arm across Sungyeol’s neck then secured his other arm over Sungyeol’s shoulder bone. Sungyeol then pulled his arms underneath Sungjong’s legs and interlocked his fingers, ensuring Sungjong doesn’t fall.

Sungjong placed his lips on the nape of Sungyeol’s neck. The expression on both their faces mirrored – a tiny smile. I felt like my light green eyes were turning an even darker shade as I stared at Sungyeol. The person that is not afraid of life or reality. 

My gaze rested upon Sungjong again. I should be going through that not him. I shouldn't have said anything to Sungyeol. Due to my selfish reasons, Sungjong paying the price but he has Sungyeol to rescue him. 

 

I looked to my right to see an empty seat then looked down at my phone, which I held under the table so it couldn’t be spotted by the teacher. 

 
To: Sungyeol-ah 
YO! Where are you?! 
Why didn’t you come school today? 
Are you hurt, or ill?! 
From: Myungsoo. 
 

My eyes scanned the room to double check no one saw, than I slowly placed the phone back in my pocket, biting my lips with worry. Sungyeol always had a hundred percent attendance. How can he be ill, today? 

 

The bell, to break, buzzed through our ears and everyone, in an instant, turned to the back of the class. I followed to see what caught their attention. It was Sungjong. 

“Yah!” Bang Da Sung shouted, as dropped his books in front of Sungjong, making him jump a little. Sungjong’s widened eyes made it clear that he was terrified by the sudden noise. “Are you still gay? Do you want to die?” he threatened as he tilted his head in Sungjong’s face. “Haven’t you changed after all these assaults?” he ground his teeth, entangled his bony long fingers in Sungjong’s hair and pulled it, this disabled Sungjong from controlling his flow of tears.