Chapter One

Lingering Despair

 

Letting the warm gold crystal granules escape through my fingers, I glazed over the merged delight of red, orange, and yellow that the Han River reflected. Just looking at it brought a sense of tranquility that wasn't available elsewhere.

The bright blazing sun was saying goodbye to the sky just as I meant to, to the beach. However, I couldn't find the courage to even stand. The picture that danced across my eyes was just breathtaking to look away.

Once the dark cloud shadowed the above, the water below turned a shade of grey, which triggered a warning sign. I quickly hopped up and walked to a place where I couldn't feel the rough texture of the little seeds, under my feet. 

 

The following day, I sat in my usual window seat as I looked endearingly at the door, waiting for that person to walk through. My eyes caught a glimpse of chestnut hair through the small white-bordered window. There he was, the boy who had the appearance of a girl. He had a heart shaped face, which was a shade of light honey wheat. His cheekbones were high and wide, which made his smiles linger on his face. He had large brown eyes – which shone with innocence – that were partly hidden behind his brunette fringe. The inner half of each of his eyebrows slanted sharply downwards creating a mischievous look. His slightly upturned nose, which gave off a cute playful feel, rested inches above from his bow-shaped thin lips.

He was taller than the vast majority of the class and neither lean nor overweight. Judging by his looks, he was probably under the required BMI value for a healthy person. His clothing was the same as ours, white shirt – neatly tucked into the navy trousers – under a dark blue blazer, where the embroidered bright gold star-shaped logo stood out, on the left pocket. 

My lips parted, my breath caught, and my eyes widened. The mere sight of Sungjong caused my heart to race viciously. I looked down, my face burned hotter than a piece of paper under a flame. The smell of strawberries was rich as he walked past. On the verge looking up, I rested my cheek on the smooth surface of the cold wooden table. Someone would wake me up once the teacher have arrived. 

“Myungsoo,” a soft soothing voice repeatedly whispered. It was hard to distinguish who it was. “Myungsoo!” the same voice hollered. I jerked up to lock my shrunken, sleepy eyes with emerald green cat-like ones of an old woman, who resembled my homeroom teacher. This person had a square-shaped face with a jaw-line that could chisel granite. Her high and wide cheekbone wasn't similar to Sungjong's. Her prominent chin showed determination but the pinched nose, hated by all, gave off a snobby attitude. Her small narrow thin lips yakked on about something that didn’t seize onto my interest.  

My eyes widened, past my usual size, as I came to realize it was my homeroom teacher. Ah, I guess I’m in trouble. I sent a piercing glare at the, now grinning brightly with enjoyment, tall choding-like moron seated beside me. That idiot had promised to wake me up. I will get him back for this. How does he always find a way to get me in a messy situation? I wondered while switching my attention to the glass that was strained with beads of water. 

"Myungsoo!" the shout came again. Oh man, I forgot she was still standing there. "How dare you fall asleep before my lesson starts then pretend you don't acknowledge my existence!" her hisses sounded scarier than usual. Before, it would be easy to tell if she's actually annoyed or just pretending to make me feel bad, but now her expression remained stiff without a single smile, making it difficult. 

"I'm sorry, teacher," I muttered, afraid to say anything else. One of her eyebrows rose at my sudden apology showing her dissatisfaction so I got up and bowed ninety degrees in front of her. "I will ensure it doesn't happen again," I affirmed with a small tilt in the corner of my lips. She nodded, straight-faced, and strolled to the front to start the French session, which did not take as long as I imagined. 

 

"Yah, you were meant to wake me up!" I clamored at break, banging my fists on Sungyeol's table. However, the only result that explosion created was unwanted attention from a few girls that were, now, running far from the classroom.

I didn’t care what thoughts were going through their mind, my eyes just sought to the back of the room, wondering if he heard. It rested on Sungjong – he had his small palms against his head thinking earnestly. Even though I was glad he didn’t hear, I was still worried about what the cause of his distraught is. 

"Who are you staring at?" Sungyeol catechized, following my gaze and ignoring my words of anger.

He abruptly got up, and walked over to Sungjong. Kneeling in front of him, his fingers grasp the younger's chin and lifts it up. They looked into each other’s eyes; Sungjong’s soft, gentle, and soulful ones were, now, emotional. Sungyeol’s playful eyes gave off an all-knowing look, which was not ordinary. His face inched closer to Sungjong’s, who widened his eyes even greater. The foot stitched to me, unconsciously, lifted a little but instead of going forward, it fell back. My face turned towards the door, I closed my eyes and bit into my bottom lip.

Seconds later, my ears shot up at the sound of footsteps heading towards our direction. My head reversed back to its original point to see Sungyeol whispering something in his ear. I let out a sigh of relief. I guess they didn’t. 

They, casually, started to talk as if they weren’t in an awkward position. It seemed as if they were more than just acquaintance. The bell chimed through the classrooms. Everyone rushed in and Sungyeol went back to his seat. “What was that about?” I breathed, reclining back into my chair. My heart was beginning to turn black from the harsh burning. 

“Nothing.” He ended the conversation as quickly as he could. That wasn’t him at all. Sungyeol is the type that expresses his thoughts openly so him being secretive sent shivers down my spine. Even though I have seen him playing with Sungjong before, I never had seen him intensely looking into his eyes. Maybe I’m missing out on something. 

Thoughts that filled my mind, about those two, made time go twice as fast then it usually does. The second the bell for lunch went off, everyone – in an instant – shut their books and began to leave whilst the three of us remained. I saw a movement from the corner of my eyes. I wanted to turn around and see what he was up to but it would seem weird if I did. I need a reason... Dropping a pe-? 

“Myungsoo, let’s get lunch,” Sungyeol interrupted. There’s my chance. My head slowly turned to see Sungyeol’s smiling face as he held onto Sungjong’s hands under his arm. 

“S-sure,” I managed to say after taking a couple of minutes to digest the image. I have seen him do this a thousand times yet every single time my heart aches. I can never do that to Sungjong. I always hide behind a cloak of disguise and lock my heart up.  

“Myungsoo, let’s go. We will never make it back in time if we don’t leave now!” Sungyeol exclaimed as the corner of his bottom lip covered his top. He then looked back at Sungjong, who had downcast eyes. He was biting into his lips as he tried to pull away from Sungyeol’s tight hold. 

I could sense the fact that he was turning red from the other end of the room. “Sorry. I’m not hungry. Why don’t the two of you go?” I suggested with a fake, forced smile – that didn’t seem as it is. 

Sungyeol walked foreword, dragging Sungjong along with him, and grasped onto my arm. “We have to stay longer after school today because exams are coming up so we need to eat to regain the energy that was lost listening to that teacher talk.” He complained as he pulled the both of us towards the door. I stole a glance of Sungjong, who was now smiling under his breath. Such a sight made my heart play the tings of a triangle. 

 

“Myungsoo, come over here!” a girl called from a far, seeing me with a tray of food. I stood still, not knowing what to do. I wanted to sit with Sungyeol and Sungjong but I can’t reject that girl either. I sighed, frowning. 

“Go on, they are calling you,” Sungyeol whispered from behind making me jump a little. I don’t want to. I want to eat with you!  I wished for these words to come out but they never did, they never do. 

 

My eyes wandered off to the table in front where the two sat. Sungyeol tousled Sungjong’s hair and patted his back because he was eating slowly, apparently. I couldn’t see anything but their backs.  However, Sungyeol was so loud that he could he heard from where I was and even further away. 

“Yah! Sungjong-ah, don’t eat little at a time," Sungyeol moaned, again. "Get a good amount onto your fork and stuff it into your mouth,” Sungyeol demonstrated, whilst his eyes remained on Sungjong.  

“Sh.” Sungjong pressed his index finger on the middle of his lips, where there was a perfect curve, and shrank his eyes. He looked like a little kid embarrassed of his loud parent. I giggled under my breath seeing such child side to him. 

“Myungsoo, what are you staring at?” a girl beside me interrupted, edging closer locking her fingers around my arm. My hands were on the verge to push her off me but I couldn't find the heart to. Anyway, why does she give a damn? When she looks at something, I don't annoy her. 

I shrugged her hand away as I pulled on a half-hearted smile. I quickly finished my lunch so I can get a better view of the both. After I was done eating, I stood up and walked past that table, not once did my eyes leave Sungjong. As my feet made small steps past, I heard someone shout out my name. Due to my eyes being occupied by something far more fascinating than that scream, I was too late to realize there was water in front of me. My tray shattered on the floor as I landed with a thump, injuring my back. The pain is greater when you are fully conscious. 

Someone's guffaws echoed in the large silence-engulfed room, causing strangers to search for the source of the loud bursts of laughter. Sungyeol walked over, Sungjong following behind, with his eyes crinkled from the corner as his face instantly lit up at my dumb folded expression. He held out his hand, which wrapped around his stomach before I could grab hold of it. I shook my head and tried to get up on my own but to my disappointment, I fell back down due to the floor still being slippery. I sighed, at Sungyeol's constantly loudening chuckle, as a softer-looking hand was stretched in front of me. I looked up to see Sungjong staring down on me with a tiny smile playing on the edge of his lips. I stared from the hand to his face, more stupefied than before. My face flushed a light shade of red as my hand locked with his. 

"Let's get to class, you klutz," Sungyeol teased as he tried to hold his derision in. My eyes switched to Sungjong, who lightly giggled under his breath. Even in this painful state, I couldn't suppress the smile. I got a better view of him.