XXIV

Bloodlust

 

Sehun headed toward the back of the club again, peering through the bodies for any sign of Suho. How could he lose sight of such a big guy? But Suho was gone. Sehun glanced out onto the deck. No sign of him. He wasn't near the pool table, either. The only other place was the men's room. Sehun pushed open the swing door and went in.

It was even darker in here - two out of three lights were broken - but it only took Sehun a few moments to realize that the room was empty, except for Donghae Lee.

Sehun was surprised to see Donghae that he just stared.

'Hey,' Donghae said, catching his eye in the mirror.

Sehun recovered quickly. 'Hey,' he said, making sure to sound bored. He ambled over to the sinks, where Donghae was checking his hair in the mirror. Sehun turned in the water, splashed some on his face, then ran his hand through his own hair. He glanced at the stalls, just to see if Suho had gone into one of them, but there was nobody there.

He gave Donghae a nod and went back out into the club. Immediately, he scanned the crowd for Chanyeol, expecting him to have followed Donghae over. He thought he saw Chanyeol playing darts, but when he turned toward the dim lights, Sehun could see it wasn't his friend. Where was Chanyeol?

 

A sudden fear struck him - what if Donghae had jumped Chanyeol as soon as he was alone? It would've been easy enough for Donghae to spot Chanyeol watching him.

How long does it take a vampire to kill someone? Sehun wondered frantically. Yuri hadn't told him that. He shoved his way through the crowd, desperate to get back to his table. If Chanyeol wasn't there...

But Chanyeol was there. Converse sneakers up on the neighbouring chair, drinking his beer as if nothing was wrong. Sehun let out a sigh of relief, and dropped into his chair.

Chanyeol gave him a once-over. 'You look like crap, my friend,' he commented.

'Why are you still here?' Sehun asked. 'You were supposed to be following Donghae.'

'I am following Donghae.' Chanyeol raised his beer toward the corner booth. 'He hasn't moved.'

'What?' Sehun squinted across the room at Donghae, who was sittign exactly where he'd been when Sehun left. Donghae's arm was still around the redhead, and now they were kissing.

'So far it's been pretty tame,' Chanyeol said. 'He hasn't gone anywhere near her neck. Or arm. Or looked like biting her at all. The second he does, I figure I'll hurl my beer bottle at him. That should get everyone's attention.'

'But-' Sehun stopped, baffled. 'Are you sure he didn't get up at all?'

'Of course I'm sure,' Chanyeol said. 'I never took my eyes off him.'

 

Sehun was beginning to wonder if he was losing his mind. He'd just been in the bathroom with Donghae, not Suho. He was certain of it. And yet, here was Donghae, sitting where he'd been sitting all evening and Chanyeol said he hadn't moved! Sehun glanced across to see that Suho was back working the door. This was getting confusing.

Luna said Donghae and Suho look alike, he reminded himself. Guess she was right.

'Here we go,' Chanyeol said. 'Donghae's getting up.'

Sehun spun back toward the corner booth. Donghae was inching his way along the bench to get up. His friends were standing, waiting for him. The redhead slid along the bench behind him.

'We've got to follow them,' Chanyeol said, moving to get up too.

'Wait a sec. I don't think the girl's going with them,' Sehun replied. 'Look.'

The red-haired girl was writing on Donghae's hand with a ballpoint pen. Probably giving him her number, Sehun thought. She stood on her tiptoes and kissed Donghae, then wandered off into the crowd.

Donghae and his buddies headed for the door.

'Still, we have to go after him,' Chanyeol insisted. 'He might go pick up another girl somewhere else.'

Sehun nodded slowly. Chanyeol was right. But his confusion between Donghae and Suho was still bothering him. 'You go ahead,' he told Chanyeol. 'I'm going to stay here. I want to keep an eye on Suho.'

'Suho?' Chanyeol repeated. 'Why? He's not a suspect. He's not even a vampire!'

'I know, but there's something strange going on,' Sehun said. 'I can't explain it.'

'If anything, Suho's on our side,' Chanyeol pointed out. 'He seems to suspect Donghae, too.'

'You're going to lose Donghae if you don't go now,' Sehun said.

'Okay.' Chanyeol gave him one last, confused look. 'You sure you want to stay here?'

'Yeah. Call me if anything bad happens.'

Chanyeol nodded and went off after Donghae. Sehun saw him slap hands with Suho on the way out.

 

Suho was looking perfectly relaxed as if everything was normal.

Which is probably was.

Sehun went over to the bar and found a seat. He ordered another beer and settled down to watch Suho, feeling like an idiot. Chanyeol was right. Suho had always seemed like a pretty normal guy, and Sehun had no reason to suspect him of anything. In fact, he didn't even know what he did suspect. But there was an uneasy feeling n his stomach, and it had something to do with Suho.

'What time does this place close?' he asked the pigtailed bartender.

'Two,' she answered. 'Why? Are you in it for the long haul?'

'I think so,' he replied, glancing at his watch. It was only midnight, and Suho was probably working until closing.

Sehun his stool to look out over the whole club. The redhead who'd been with Donghae was now dancing with a group of girls on the dance floor. Suho was leaning against the doorframe, taking money and checking IDs. Sehun sighed and took a sip of beer. It was going to be a long night.

At one-thirty, the red-haired girl brushed past him, heading for the door. Sehun watched her go, hoping she didn't plan to meet up with Donghae. He pulled out his cell and checked for messages. Nothing. He hadn't heard from Chanyeol since he left.

When he looked up again, Suho was gone.

Sehun leaped off his stool and rushed over to the door. Just outside, he could see Suho talking to the other bouncer. The guy nodded, then they banged fists in farewell and Suho took off toward the parking lot.

 

Surprised, Sehun followed him. How am I supposed to trail him without a car? he wondered. Sehun smiled wryly. He wasn't too great at this detective stuff. Guess he'd never grow up to be a private eye. But he could at least see what direction Suho drove off in.

He kept back twenty feet or more, not wanting Suho to notice he was being followed. Suho walked all the way to the edge of the parking lot, where there were no lights, and faded into the darkness behind a huge H2.

Sehun broke into a jog, trying to catch up. When he reached the SUV, he stopped and inched his way around it, using it for cover.

There! Suho was leaning against a Toyota - who knew they allowed Toyotas in Malibu? - five feet away. But he wasn't alone. The redhead from the club was with him, keys dangling from her hand as she laughed at something Suho said.

The Toyota must be her car, Sehun thought. But what is she doing with Suho?

Their voices were low, so low he couldn't make out the words, but the tone was definitely flirtatious. Sehun shook his head. He figured this was the reason why Suho had been watching Donghae - Donghae was hitting on the girl he liked! It didn't explain the men's-room confusion, of course, but it had been dark in there. Sehun decided he'd just made a mistake - and he felt like kicking himself; he's hung out here all night in order to watch a guy who was just jealous!

 

He almost felt like laughing. Between Yuri telling him about the vampires and Chanyeol getting so caught up in his investigation of Donghae, Sehun's mind was spinning. He'd seriously started imagining things - like Suho turning into Donghae Lee in the bathroom.

I'm going to call a cab to go home, he decided. I've had enough of playing Van Helsing for one night.

'Come on,' Suho's voice broke into his thoughts. 'The view is great from there.'

Sehun plastered himself against the H2, hoping they wouldn't see him. He didn't want to have to explain to Suho why he was hanging out in the middle of a deserted parking lot.

'From the alley?' The girl sounded skeptical.

'No. The entrance is in the alley,' Suho said. 'There's a gate that leads to the beach.'

'Okay. Sounds delicious.' The girl giggled, and Sehun heard their footsteps moving away toward the service alley that ran behind the club. He peered around the other side of the SUV, waiting for them to move out of the sight so that he could show himself.

The moon had come out from behind a cloud, and it shone down onto the lot. He could see the girl clearly now, see her smile as she adjusted her purse on her shoulder.

And he could see the guy, too - which came as something of a shock. Because it wasn't Suho.

It was Donghae Lee.

 

 

*Note - Okay... what? What is happening? Sehun's mind playing tricks on him? Is he drunk or something? Hallucinating? So is the guy leading the girl to the alley Suho or Donghae?!