XV

Bloodlust

Sehun climbed out of the police car and headed up his driveway. His mom, his dad and Luna were waiting for him on the front lawn. Mrs Oh wrapped him in a tight hug and didn't let go. He hugged her back, then pulled away, trying to muster up a reassuring smile for his mother. It didn't work - the concern in her eyes was still there. He had the feeling she was imagining him lying there on the sand, with blue lips and fingernails. Cold. Dead.

'Mom, it's okay. I'm okay,' Sehun said. His mother slowly nodded and his dad took over, giving Sehun the father-patented rib-busting special.

'You're not going to hug me too, are you?' he asked Luna when his dad let go.

'No. Don't worry. I'll let you off,' she teased, but her brown eyes were serious.

'When the police called...' Mrs Oh shook her head. 'I knew we were right not to let Luna go to that party. I shouldn't have let you go, either. Where were the parents? That's what I want to know. They just waved from the dock as a bunch of teenagers and enough alcohol to kill a-'
'Mom,' Sehun interrupted her, 'just let it go.'

I can't even imagine how that poor girl's mother is feeling. Did either of you know the girl?' his mother asked.

'A little,' Sehun admitted.

'We talked about surfing once,' Luna said. 'She was going to show me the best boards.' Sehun suspected that that conversation had taken place at the party, only hours before Sohee died. But he wasn't going to rat out his sister. 'She was only a year older than me,' Luna added, her voice choked with tears.

Now Luna got the parental hug treatment. 'You see why we didn't want you at that party?' Mr Oh said.

'Yeah,' Luna answered quietly. 'You were right.'

'Well, we were going to fire up the grill and have a BBQ,' Mrs Oh announced, clapping her hands together. 'We have those steaks.'

 

Sehun was grateful for the change of subject. His own emotions were pretty heavy right now - guilt over not telling his parents that Luna had been on the yacht, horror over the memory of Sohee's dead body, and just a basic queasiness over the realization that he'd been making out with Sulli and obsessing all about Yuri while Sohee was falling overboard. 'BBQ sounds good, mom,' he said.

'We'll do some corn, too,' their mother said, 'and a salad.'

Luna and Sehun stood in silence as their parents disappeared into the house. 'Thanks for not telling,' she said when they were out of sight.

'You think I want to kill our mother?' Sehun asked.

The joke landed with an almost audible thud. Right now it was way too easy to imagine any of the people he loved being snatched away from him. The world suddenly felt dangerous.

Luna just looked at him, her big brown eyes serious.

Sehun looped his arm over her shoulders. 'Let's go inside.'

 

'Was she... like, deteriorating?'

The school day was less than half over and this was the eleventh time someone had asked Sehun about finding Sohee's body. It was disgusting how morbid people could be. He probably would have gotten twice as many questions, except that Kris Wu had chosen today to reappear at school, and that was also a big topic of conversation. Almost as big as a classmate washing up dead on shore.

For the first time, DeVere High struck Sehun as being a pretty twisted place. Somehow, with the sunshine and the sheer beauty of the place, it had seemed to him that it was above this type of sordid gossip. But it obviously wasn't.

Sehun slammed his locker shut and turned around. A girl with long, golden-brown hair stood there looking at him, biting at her lip, eager to hear the details of what he'd seen. It took a moment for him to realize that she was Chen's friend, Tiffany, from the girls' swim team. He'd met her at the party.

Do you want to hear about the crab that had eaten off part of Sohee's left little finger? he thought. He didn't say the words out loud. He was afraid Tiffany might say yes. 'I didn't really look that closely,' he told her.

'You'd have to be completely out of it to fall off the yacht. I mean, the rails are rails,' Tiffany said. 'How much do you think she drank?'

'No idea. Gotta go,' he replied, and pretty much race-walked away from her toward the cafeteria, even though the last thing he wanted to do was eat. His stomach had been doing a slow roll every time he'd look at food since yesterday. He grabbed a smoothie from the juice bar, figuring he could deal with that without puking, and a peanut-butter sandwich that he thought he'd be able to choke down before swim practice.

 

'Kris, here's somebody you should know. This year's new guy.' Sehun didn't have to look to know it was Yuri speaking. Her voice alone made his pulse quicken.

'That's me,' Sehun said as he turned around, cafeteria tray in hand. 'Oh Sehun, new guy. Until the next one comes along.'

'Sehun's on the swim team with Luhan,' Yuri added. She was standing next to a tall guy with short, blonde hair. This was clearly the famous Kris Wu.

Kris nodded. He didn't say anything. But he seemed to take in everything about Sehun with one sweep of his dark brown eyes. His expression wasn't exactly unfriendly, more like... impenetrable. Sehun stared back. He'd been hearing about Kris since day one at DeVere High; the guy's name was on everybody's lips - today, especially. Sehun couldn't help feeling curious about him.

 

The most popular guy in school - here he was at last - and his intensity was almost tangible. The guy seemed to radiate energy and life!

'Line. Not moving,' Kai called cheerfully from a couple people down.

Sehun nodded to Kris and Yuri, quickly paid for his food, and then headed to what had become his regular place. He was surprised to see Chanyeol sitting there. He'd been M.I.A in history this morning, but he clearly hadn't used the free time to shower or comb his hair. His clothes looked like they'd been slept in, while Chanyeol himself looked as if he hadn't slept in days.

Chanyeol stood up before Sehun could grab a seat. 'Take a walk with me.'

'Okay,' Sehun said. They didn't walk far, just over to the edge of the cafeteria terrace.

'You doing all right?' Sehun asked as they stared out at the surfers dotting the ocean.

'She's never going to be out there again,' Chanyeol said grimly, and his words were like a punch to Sehun's gut. He'd been thinking about Sohee's body pretty much constantly, unable to force the vision of her dead eyes out of his head. But he hadn't gotten as far as thinking about her, and the things she'd never do: surf, graduate from high school, turn twenty-one, have any kind of life.

 

 

*Note - The Mr Famous of DeVere Heights has attended school~ Kris. He is quite reserved so far, isn't he. Well, it was just a brief introduction. More Kris later~ Poor Chanyeol... he really like Sohee. And Sehun too, for truly being scarred for life. :(