The Ride Home

The Rest of My Life...with You

I wanted to ask her questions but it just felt weird. I mean I’m supposed to be against this whole marriage thing but for some reasons I’m not. I think I’m just thinking too much or maybe I just don’t want to be rude and not talk to her. I just can’t hate her because I’m suppose to marry her. We don’t even know each other and maybe I should try to get to know her. At least I need to start dating again anyways. Why am I thinking about the past? The past is nothing to me. I was just a kid then and now I’m not.

Without looking at her I can sense that something was bothering her but I didn’t want to intrude her personal thoughts.

“So...”I started but stopped myself. I actually don’t really know what I’m going to say to her. We don’t know each other so I can’t just ask questions out of the blue....or maybe I could.

Looking at her I saw that she was looking up at the stars. Yes, the sky is so beautiful tonight; with many bright stars shining our way. I use to believe that once you see a shooting star you can make a wish and it’ll come true. That was all a lie; I should know because I’ve tried.

“Umm...what do you do now? I mean...”Why is it so hard for me to talk to her. She’s just like every other girl right?

“What do you want?”She asked me without even looking at me.

“Uh...never mind...”I really don’t know what to say. I feel like an idiot. “Why won’t you pay attention to where we’re going?”I yelled at her. I didn’t mean it just that...just that...ugh! I don’t know.

Now looking at her shocked face she looked so sad. Now once again, there’s that awkward silence. Without us talking, there’s only that low, soft music playing in the background of my car...

Chae Young
What the hell is wrong with him? I didn’t do anything, I didn’t even talk this whole time since we got out of that expensive place. I was minding my own business and didn’t care what he was doing. What a rude guy! And I thought he was handsome. Handsome my !

“STOP THE CAR!”I yelled at him because I wanted to get out of the car. I don’t think I can stand another second in this car with him. With an idiot like him! “Let me out of the car!”I yelled at him once more because apparently he didn’t hear me the first time or maybe he’sjust trying to ignore me.

Finally he stopped the car by the side of the road. He turn and looked at me. He was about to say something but I didn’t care because as soon as he stopped his stupid, but nice car, I got out and started to head the opposite direction of where we were going. I guess he must have gotten out of the car to because I could hear the door slam.

He must have been really pissed off because when he caught up to me, he grabbed both of my arms and swung me around. We both met eye to eye. Talking about being in an awkward position this was even worst then that. He could have done anything to me I wouldn’t be able to do anything about it. He is like twice my size, twice my height, and actually he’s like twice everything.

“What do you want?”I yelled at him while looking him straight in the eye. Trying my best not to sound afraid or even look afraid.

Without even realizing anything, he held my head tight and planted a kiss on my lips. I was shocked and surprised at what had just happened. With all my might and force I pushed him away and slapped him as hard as I could. And took off running with tears flowing down my cheeks.

Who do he think he is? He think he can do anything to me just because we are to be married in two months. And he think he can do anything to me just because I’m parentless....

Kang-woo
What the hell did I just do? I don’t know what made me kissed her. Something inside me made me kissed her but I just don’t know what it is.

As soon as I came to my senses she was gone. Panicking, I started to run in the same direction she left after slapping me hard on my face. Well, I did deserve that. I didn’t have the right to do that to her although technically I do but still. It was wrong. It was the man inside me not me.

After about running for a good 10 to 15 minutes, I saw her sitting on the side of the road bench still crying. I can’t believe I made her cry. I never intended to kiss her, I was just going to dragged her back into the car so I can drop her home and go home myself. Now I have done it!

Walking slowly up to her she looked my way and about to walk away again.

“Wait! I’m sorry”I said not looking at her but the ground. I’m too guilty to look at her. Too ashamed to look at her for what I did. She stopped but didn’t say anything or even look at me.

“I’m sorry. I don’t know what came over me. I didn’t mean to do that to you. I’m really sorry.”

Looking at me with those sad eyes of hers. I actually really looked into her eyes, they are the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen. The darkest of brown like melted chocolate candy. Even in the darkest of the night I can see how beautiful they are.

“You said I can trust you and you also said you won’t do anything to me. It was all a lie.”She was actually laughing, but it wasn’t that kind of laugh where you want to hear. It was the kind that have a different meaning to it. It was like she was mocking me, actually laughing at me.


“I’m sorry...”Was all I could say and nothing else. Because I knew that there was nothing I could do or say that will change what had happen. “Let me take you home. It’s getting cold.”As I said that a cold breeze brush past us.

“Whatever, just take me home!”It was a demand and I knew she was still mad. I mean why would she forgive me right? When I told her that I won’t do anything to her and didn’t kept my words.

We both walked back to the car but not side by side. She was walking in front of me and I was behind her. Watching her from behind, I feel like I have to protect her. Like I was sent to her life to protect her from any harm and pain. But just a moment ago, I was the cause of her pain...

Our ride back home was different than before. Just somehow this silence between us was different, not awkward different but something else. Something I can’t describe, something I can’t yet put a finger on.

By the time I dropped her off and got home it was already close to 9:00. I was too tired and had a really long day so I didn’t even feel like taking a shower. I’ll just take it first thing in the morning. Since I don’t have to get up so early since it was a Saturday, so no work for me. Maybe I’ll just sleep in...