You're my best friend and my lover.

Our life as a couple.


I threw open the door and dashed out into the night air. I ripped off my high heels and felt the damp grass between my toes as I ran for what seemed like ages. Who needed prom anyway? The second I saw all of those happy couples with their arms around each other dancing to slow music, I knew coming to the prom alone was a bad idea. I spotted a bench under a tree and slowly sat down. My pink dress was soiled and damp, but I could not care less. I pulled the pins out of my hair and let it fall down on my shoulders. Hours of preparation doing my hair, hundreds of dollars for my dress, and no, not one guy would give me a second glance. My eyes started to burn and my throat felt like it was paralyzed as hot tears fell from my cheeks. Things would always be the same; I would watch my friends laugh and hold their boyfriends, and I myself would never be happy.
In the distance, I saw a black silhouette of a figure walking towards me from the prom venue. Great, I thought, as if I didn't look bad enough already, someone needs to see me like this. As the figure approached I tried to avoid eye contact and pulled my hair in front of my face. It's too bad he knew me.
"hyosung?" he whispered. It was kikwang, one of my best friends in the entire world. He was caring, strong, and it would be quite a lie if I said I wasn't a little attracted to him, not that it mattered anyway. He quickly came closer and knelt down in front of me. I saw his brown eyes in the little bit of moonlight that shone through the tree. His expression looked concerning, but most of all hurt. I couldn't help but cry more and turn away.
"hyosung tell me what's wrong," he demanded. His voice sounded shaky himself and I was a little confused why. He put his hand on my bare knee, and in that instant it almost felt like a lightning bolt shot through my body. It felt scary and warm at the same time. He got up and sat next to me. He was fully dressed in his tuxedo with the light blue tie his mom probably picked out for him. This small detail made me smile a bit.
"hyosung, you're scaring me." he grabbed my arm, "What on earth is going on?" I stared at my lap. I felt like I was in a movie, except that this was real. kikwang was really sitting next to me, this close, and we weren't making fun of each other or fighting over the Dorito bowl. I took a deep breathe and prepared myself for a serious case of word vomit.
"Prom . Life . Everyone in there, they're so happy...together. I'll never have that, no matter how hard I try. I hate myself, I want to be different...but I can't." I can't believe I actually said this to him, to anyone. I forced myself to look up, and to my surprise his eyes were watering too.kikwang eyes, the same eyes that lead the high school baseball team everyday, the same eyes who constantly try to keep a tough appearance, the same eyes that I had never had the strength to stare long enough into, until now.
"hyosung," he paused, "I never knew you thought of yourself like that." I wiped my face with the back of my hand and looked away. The whole thing seemed so surreal, especially him crying now.
"Why are you crying?" I couldn't help myself from asking.
"I'm crying, because it turns out I didn't know as much about you as I thought I did. I'm crying because when I see you sad, I swear I'm three times as sad. I'm crying because if I had known how you feel, I would have done this sooner." In what seemed like a millisecond he grabbed my waist with one hand and my neck with the other and kissed me long and hard. His lips were soft, and his cheeks were wet, both from my tears and his. His grip was strong and firm, but his fingers remained soft and light. I can't even describe what I felt right then as I kissed him back, hesitant at first, but soon found my arms wrapped around his shoulders. I felt his hand slowly run down my back and that's when I knew I could stay there, in that one spot forever. We weren't at prom, and I had never felt ugly or down on myself. kikwang made me beautiful, and wanted....and that's all I ever wanted.

Leave comment please

And feel free to tell what you think about it ;)