3.

First Love

Hyoyeon woke up and found herself in an unfamiliar place, and they were wires all around her. She rolled her eyes to look around the place- a hospital.

Then the door opened and in came her mother with a worried face.

"Hyoyeon, are you okay?"

"I guess so," she tried to talk but only managed to whisper. Then a doctor entered the ward, before unwillingly told then the news; Hyoyeon had leukaemia. It was at its second last stage, and simple chemotherapy would certainly not help.

Her mother looked at her with utter despair, and she knew she wouldn't be able to look at her anymore. She turned around to look at the other side and began crying to herself as she heard her mom crying. Soon she felt the presence behind her slowly disappear and heard footsteps.

"Umma?' she called out between the silent sobs.

"Yes Hyoyeon?"

"By any chance do you know who sent me here?"

"Oh yes... it was Tiffany," her mom said, "but she had to go back to attend some matters."

Hyoyeon gave a slight nod then she heard the door close and loud running steps from outside. She looked at the ceiling and tried to stop her tears from falling, but they were simply just overflowing and her vision got blur by every minute. She couldn't even wipe them away.

That day was a double blow for her. She lost a loved one, and learnt that sooner her life would be lost too. Her original friendship with Eunhyuk might also be affected.

However, good things always happen. She found new friendship. Though the mishaps were having a much bigger impact of her, she tried her best to find joy within situations like this. She never really knew how good a person Tiffany was until that day.

The hours passed like days and soon she was having a visitor. It was, well, Tiffany.

"Hyoyeon, are you alright? What did the doctor say?" Tiffany knew things were not right when she saw Hyoyeon's eyes that were red from crying and did not care to wait for an answer. She looked at the doctor's report after finding it.

"Hyoyeon, I'm so sorry!" Tiffany looked at her with the eyes of despair. She sat down on the chair beside the bed and tried her best to get Hyoyeon to talk.

When she finally spoke to her, all she said was "Thank you." However simple it sounded, it was heavily tinted with the gratitude Hyoyeon had for her, and she was smart enough to catch it.

"No problem, as a friend," she tried to say, but the more she looked at Hyoyeon and her condition, the more it took its toll on her and she started to cry.

Hyoyeon took note of her phrase "as a friend" as a heavy meaning for herself. She never knew that Tiffany, who was usually lonely even after the much-used effort for attempting to fit in with the others as she had a difference from the others by her culture and language, had such a warm heart that cared so much for others.

Just then the door opened, revealing another visitor that Hyoyeon did not expect.

"I guess I'll leave you two first?" Tiffany stood up and looked at Hyoyeon before looking at Eunhyuk. "I'll see you again soon."

As she walked out she remembered the situation that Eunhyuk and Hyoyeon were in that morning. Then she remembered the way Hyoyeon always looked at Eunhyuk, maybe a little too obvious, or perhaps she was just too observant.

Inside, Hyoyeon was facing a deep dilemma of what to do. Should she say anything, should she smile? Or should she leave him alone?

She turned around to face the other side, and it was obvious she did not want to see Eunhyuk.

"... Hyoyeon, how are you? What did the doctor say?"

Hyoyeon somehow managed to keep herself silent, but a sniff was heard and Eunhyuk knew it wasn't good news. He picked up the doctor's report and looked at the details.

"I'm sorry, Hyoyeon..."

"There's nothing much you can do now."

"I know... I'm sorry..."