Four

For Heaven's Sake, Hit the Brake

 

The afternoon sunshine was glorious, warm and bright, as Tao maneuvered his way across the busy city streets to the apartment building from the night before.

The engine of the motorcycle was definitely unlike any he had before, it didn't have the steady rumble of power and instead made shrill, protesting sounds whenever he changed gears. He played it safe and decided to not go over a speed of sixty miles per hour. At an unbearably long red light, Tao took out his phone to glance at the time. He wasn't one to be late, but it seemed that he would be a couple minutes late.

"Stupid Sehun," he mumbled, he never even got to have a piece of cake. He wasn't given any time to grumble as the light turned green and the bike sped off ahead of traffic.

 

Kris glanced at his clock before leaving his apartment, he didn't want to seem to eager and meet the dark haired biker exactly on time.

3:01. He could leisurely take his time to walk down the stairs and meet Tao in the parking lot and be there at 3:05.

Kris couldn't help but grin to himself. While Luhan had thought his outburst to ride a motorcycle was just a spur of the moment, Kris had actually always been keen of the idea of own a bike. He just didn't have the time, read as skill, to learn.

It was warm, but Kris has followed his instruction and wore jeans, a jacket, and laced shoes. As he descended down the flights of steps he heard the sharp acceleration of a motorcycle and smiled. By the time he reached the landing, Tao was handsomely dressed in dark colors, but the motorcycle wasn't nearly as visually pleasing.

"Is this your motorcycle?" Kris asked eyeing the bike with trepidation, "It looks like it's about to fall apart."

"Good afternoon to you too," Tao rolled his eyes, "It was an old one we were trying to fix up at the shop. You didn't think I'd let you use my bike, did you?"  Tao explained, helmet resting inbetween his hip and forearm.

Kris opened his mouth to reply but instead closed it shut, and decided to just eye the bike with distaste.

"Hey, once you learn how to ride a motorcycle, you can buy yourself whatever you want. Until then, this," Tao said knocking on the metal frame of the motorcycle, "Is your best friend."

Tao walked over towards Kris and placed the helmet in his hands, "This parking lot is too crowded, I'm taking you somewhere else."

Kris wasn't exactly excited to be in a position of no control but nodded anyway, tightening the helmet just as Tao started the ignition. This bike didn't have the usual hum of power, instead it sputtered at some moments as if it would die.

Tao gracefully slipped a leg over the bike and Kris followed suit, hands wrapping around his waist like the other day, "Doesn't this bother you?"

"Does what bother me?" Tao asked, kicking the stand up.

Because Kris is a master at words, he explained the problem eloquently, "This," he said and tightened his arms around Tao.

Tao laughed, and Kris decided he liked that sound more than his critical tone, "No, it doesnt. I've had the old guys at the shop in your position, and usually they love to tease me. So if anything, they tend to do worse than just hold on to me."

Kris nodded, and as the bike started forward slowly, Kris watched Tao's actions, how his hands would control the bike, the angle he'd move it to as the to the street.

After a few minutes in traffic, Kris had grown accustomed to the wind as they reached higher speeds. Tao even seemed to relax, his body loose as he handled the beat up bike with grace.

After a few more minutes, they arrived at an old playground, paint peeling off rusty metal and the color of the slides faded away by the sun. The parking lot was in no better shape, cracked and uneven, but it was open and left much room for Kris to learn.

Kris was about to get off before Tao held him still.

"Lesson number one, never get off a bike on the right side," he stated and Kris abided.

"The metal tends to heat up really fast on most bikes, your leg will brush against it and you might burn yourself," Tao explained.

Kris nodded and took off the helmet, enjoying the fresh air.

"Don't get off on the right side, got it," Kris said obidiently.

"Why am I even doing this?" Tao muttered to himself, "Alright, do you have any experience with a motorcycle?"

"Do video games count?" Kris teased but it was lost on Tao who simply rolled his eyes.

"I'm taking that as a no, lucky for you you're not the first person I've taught."

"Do you do formal lessons?" Kris asked in mild confusion.

"No, I used to take the kids who would wait at the shop for rides, I taught a few to ride. This girl I taught is now in an international motorcross group. So I know what I'm doing," he smirked.

Kris whistled at the remarkable feat, "Do you think I could be that good?"

Tao looked at him, conflicted between agreeing and teasing and instead he chuckled to himself.

"Basic motorcycle anatomy," he began, "The left handle is your clutch, on the opposite side you have the front brake and accelerator."

"What is this?" Kris asked pointing to the switch on the right side.

"Kill switch. Cuts off the engine's power," he explained, "So if you're in a situation where you're going too fast and freaking out, kill switch, then brakes."

"Understood."

"Time to get on," Tao said pushing the helmet back into Kris's hands.

"Wait, wait. You haven't explained everything," Kris protested, but Tao was already pushing him closer towards the bike.

"I prefer a hands-on teaching approach," Tao teased, "No better way than learning from your mistakes."

"But what if I die?" Kris asked, mind frantic and excited at the prospect of getting behind those handle bars.

"You won't die. Just suffer excruciating injuries," he grinned and patted Kris on the back.

Kris blanched, and looked at the motorcycle as if we're the carriage to his own death, "Shouldn't you give me some pointers or something first?"

"Life experiences don't come with a manual. You learn by doing not studying," Tao said, tone a bit sympathetic.

Kris sighed and realized he's probably ready for death because at least then he can haunt Luhan in the afterlife.

Kris gingerly sat on the seat of the motorcycle as though it would roar to life on its own.

"What's the first thing you should do?" Tao asked standing a couple feet away with his arms crossed.

"Send my will to a lawyer?"

Tao rolled his eyes but smiled anyway, "You can do that later, put the key in the ignition."

Kris took the key in his hand and gently inserted it, the engine sputter as if but rumbled gently beneath him.

"What's next?" Tao asked him.

"Drive?"

"Put it in neutral and get it in gear," Tao explained.

Kris nodded, the helmet suddenly uncomfortably hot as he burned with nervousness.

With his left hand, he firmly held the clutch and and looked at Tao expectantly.

"Now, you're going to slowly let go of the clutch and give it only a little bit of gas," Tao stated, his tone surprisingly open and teacher-like.

Kris never felt more awkward in his life, he slowly let go of the clutch, but then it began to move and he freaked out and let go of the clutch and accelerator. The engine died with quick lurch and sputter, Kris looked at Tao sheepishly through the black helmet.

"I forgot to mention it may move, you're doing fine just don't kill it. What you were doing was perfect, just give it a bit more gas next time so you're moving. Also, if you ever feel like your about to kill it and don't know what to do, just hold down the clutch again," he advised.

Kris couldn't believe how patient Tao was with him, the other day the raven haired boy was unsociable and throwing death threats. However, Kris thought it was a welcomed change and restarted the motorcycle.

Again, he gingerly let go of the clutch and as he was rolling he decided to leave it like that before barely giving the bike any gas and letting go of the clutch, Kris was about to rejoice but then the bike died on him.

He looked at Tao expectantly, but instead the other simply motioned for him to go again.

It was a good fifteen minutes before Kris finally felt more comfortable on this bike and managed to keep it rolling without killing it. In his excitement over his achievement he threw a fist in the air but that sudden shift of motion, combined with the slow speed of the bike, made the motorcycle teeter. He braked hard, and brought the bike to an abrupt halt, nearly falling on the side but luckily his long legs kept the bike up.

Tao rushed over to help steady him and the bike, laughing as he did so.

"I thought you were about to fall," his tone sounding somewhat impressed.

Kris decided to take that as a compliment and beamed behind the helmet.

"Did I do good?"

"You didn't hurt yourself or the bike so is say you did well," Tao answered with a small smile.

For another half hour, Tao watched as Kris eventually got the hang of driving at a slow speed in first gear, laughing as the other did laps around the parking lot. He had to confess that despite the taller boy's awkwardness, he had a knack of picking things up quickly.

When Kris finally made his way back, Tao motioned for him to come his way. Obviously very excited to oblige, Kris practically leaped from the bike to meet him but suddenly halted in his steps when he heard a crash.

He turned around to find the bike had fallen on its side, and he internally winced. He forgot about the kick stand.

Tao rushed over to check on the bike which now had a couple more dents and scratches and sighed when the ignition didn't start.

"I think you actually killed it for good this time."

Kris removed his helmet and a thousand and one apologies ready to be said.

Tao simply shrugged, "I'm not surprised, it's a junk bike we've had in the shop for a while. There's not much I can do."

"I'm really sorry," Kris added, his previous proud stature gone, now hunched over like a guilty puppy.

"I would ask Sehun to give us a ride back, but I think he's busy," Tao said remembering his mention of plans with the unorthodox trio from earlier that afternoon.

"Luhan could probably give us a ride back," Kris offered.

Tao nodded as he set out to try and fix the bike the best he could without tools, while Kris quickly brought out his phone and dialed Luhan's number.

"Hello?" Minseok's voice answered.

"Minseok, where's Luhan?"

"He's playing out in the field righting now, you forgot about the match, didn't you?"

Kris groaned into his hands, "Yes, I did.  I'm really sorry."

"It's fine, the game is over soon anyway," Minseok replied.

"When it's over could you give me and Tao a ride back home?" Kris asked praying Minseok wouldn't ask questions.

"Tao? The dark haired teen assassin that's majoring in automotive repair?"

Kris rolled his eyes, "He's not an assassin, he was helping me learn how to ride a motorcycle, but it died on us. We need to get home.  We're at an old park by the old mall complex that had the theater we always used to go to."

"I'll tell him to pick you guys up on his way home. It might be another half hour though, try to survive that long," and then the line went dead.

"So Luhan and Minseok can take us home," Kris said as he noticed Tao working on the bike.

"Teen assassin?"

Kris gave a nervous laugh, "They're teasing."

Tao just snorted, obviously unconvinced, wiping some of the grease that got on his hands on his jeans.

"They'll be here in about half an hour," Kris added, wanting to change the conversation.

Tao nodded and gave up on the bike, rolling it towards the playground and parking it in the grass.

Kris watched him silently, noticing how he decided to sit down on the grass next to the shade.

"I'm really sorry," Kris said again as he took a seat next to him.

Tao simply shrugged again and laid on his back and closed his eyes.

Kris felt really guilty, granted the bike was a piece of crap, but he felt obliged to pay Tao back somehow.

"Are you free tomorrow?"

Tao opened one eye, "Yeah, why?"

Kris remebered the new restaurant that opened a couple weeks ago "I feel like buying you a drink or something."

Tao closed his eyes and waved a dismissive hand, "It doesn't matter."

"Well, consider it my way of paying you back."

Tao sighed deeply through his nose, "You don't have to feel guilty."

Yet, the words fell on deaf ears because Kris was already pulling him by his shoulders to sit up.

Tao rolled his eyes, brushing the other's hands away brusquely.

"Fine."

Kris smiled, standing up to climb up some monkey bars and sit ontop of the metal maze.

Tao heard his receding footsteps and sat up to watch him.

"You're still a kid, aren't you?" Tao called out.

Kris shrugged but swung his long legs back and forth.

Tao gave an amused chuckled before stretching his arms and following him.

"I haven't done this since I was a little kid," Tao said after he climbed up and took a seat next to Kris.

It wasn't very high up, but enough for both to be a good distance off the ground.

"I didn't know I had a reputation already," Tao said quietly.

"Reputation?"

"Teen assassin."

"They're just teasing," Kris said dismissively.

"No, I know people are scared of me, I just never knew why," Tao admitted, tone curious.

Kris remained silent, neither agreeing nor disagreeing.

"Am I intimidating?"

Kris really didn't want to have this conversation, and while he didn't want to suffer having a broken arm he didn't want to lie either.

"A bit."

"Why is that?" Tao asked suddenly.

"I don't know, you're quiet but really confident, arrogant almost. And you look really scary," Kris quickly confessed all in one breath, awaiting for some sort of blow.

Instead Tao laughed, full of mirth like Kris had never heard before.

"Sehun said the same thing when we first met," he explained between giggles.

Kris really didn't know what to say and decided to keep his mouth shut. Who was Sehun again?

"I never knew I looked scary, maybe that's why some professors look at me like I'm some sort of delinquent," he said more to himself than Kris.

"Well...you're not really scary anymore," Kris mumbled, "You're not a bad person."

Tao just gave him a small smile, "I know I tend to be a bit rude, but I've always been a little menace."

Kris nodded, surprised by how talkative Tao actually was.

Maybe he just finds it hard to open up, Kris thought. Suddenly feeling proud to have made his way past that cool, aloof exterior.

After that conversation, they talked about classes, the sun's bright rays making their way towards quiet darkness. Half an hour had already passed, but neither noticed, both much to engrossed in their own conversation.


A/N:
So, SillyAh and I are both in school now, so we're going to keep doing weekly updates but now they will be coupled with tears.