Chapter 34

Remind Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Heads up, this'll be a long chapter focused on Sarah's side story, and other details. ;) 

Hope you guys read till the end and enjoy it! :D

 

  Chapter 34

 

Like the terrible reruns of a horror movie, the place before Sarah brought goose bumps. Nonetheless, with the time she had purposely spent away from it, she couldn’t help but to feel the guilt mess with her conscience. After hesitating for several minutes, the girl took a deep breath and walked forward into the coldness of the medical building. She was determined to find where her heart told her she belonged. And although she remembers the sorrow that she lived when she used to come, she also never forgets the satisfaction that brought her bringing smiles and a bit of peace of heart to many of the young patients that were attended there.

 

 

“Sarah? Is that you?”

The young startled girl turned upon hearing a familiar voice. Surprised that she even recognized her after all this years, Sarah realized that she may have not really changed in the amount of time.

"Hello…”

The lady approached her and coaxed her into her embrace.

“It’s been so long dear!” –The motherly figure pulled away and carefully observed Sarah’s, still surprised expression. –“Sorry for startling you, I am just so surprised that you came by…”

“Is alright. I’m glad to find someone I know among all these people.”

The lady chuckled and glanced around swiftly. “There’s still few of us that have held on longer than others.”

Sarah nodded but found herself with a loss of words to continue the conversation. Noticing this, the lady decided to speak along to see if she could make with the intentions of Sarah’s visit.

“So how is your mother doing?”

“She’s doing well. Thanks for asking.” –Sarah politely smiled at her concern.

“Do you want me to accompany you for a moment? Or did you have something else in mind?”

The girl shook her head to the request. “No… Not at all. You must be pretty busy right now; I don’t think I should be interfering with your work…”

The woman chuckled. “Nonsense! How can I leave one of our best volunteers just like that? Besides, I just so happen to be taking my break in a few… We could go to the cafeteria and get something. Doesn’t that sound good?”

Sarah looked at the lady, and not wanting to appear rude she accepted the offer.

--

 

Sitting in front of each other, both of them shared a pleasant conversation. Although Sarah wasn’t doing much of the talking, the lady tried her best to keep Sarah feeling at ease. Avoiding what had happened in the past, but keeping her up with how things went by afterwards.

“We always allow volunteers, such as you were in the past.”

Sarah nodded and remembered the times when she didn’t only help her little brother, but also many of the children and even young people who got attended in the facilities. It was a shame that after she stopped assisting, she didn’t get to properly say her farewells to many of them.

“You know there’s always an open door for you here, right?”

Sarah woke up from her flashback moment, and now her attention was fully on her.

“We really missed you since you left. And I know we can’t keep you here all the time. But I just want to thank you for paying us the visit today.”

Sarah looked down and cupped her cup of coffee tightly. She had already made up her mind since before she had stepped in.

“I… actually came back to stay…” –The lady furrowed her eyebrows, and Sarah clarified her words. –“I want to help out again…”

 

--

 

Sarah walked back home after her visit. Despite her tight schedule, she was determined to help out in the hospital and help the little ones. She was already excited about the things she could do for them, and she knew that as she helped others she wouldn’t feel the pressure of just concentrating on herself. Plus she would be keeping the promise she had made years ago to her little brother.

It had been a long of day of school and other activities for her and she looked forward to her well deserved rest after finishing her other duties. She heard some skateboard noise, and looked up just in time to avoid getting ran over.

The boy after almost causing an accident took his skateboard and apologized.

“Sorry…” –He simply said looking down.

Sarah smiled when she recognized it was just her new neighbor.

“It’s alright… Nothing bad happened thankfully.”

He turned around to leave but Sarah stopped him. “So you like to skateboard huh?”

The boy turned to her again and blinked repeatedly and nodded. She walked to him to keep with the conversation the shy boy was obviously trying to end. She was tired, but the boy seemed lonely.

“Do you know many tricks?”

He shrugged and she smiled, the boy was shy and she was too friendly, but she didn’t want to make him feel pressured either.

“Mind if you show me some?”

 

--

 

About an hour passed and Zelo was still outside with Sarah. The daylight was surreptitiously dimming on them as they spoke.

“So we’ve been talking for so long and I still don’t know your name…”

Zelo did a ‘simple’ trick to his perspective and answered. “Zelo.”

Sarah nodded slowly and leaned back resting her body with her hands on the sidewalk. “Interesting name… Birth name?”

“Not really. My name’s actually Junhong, but I prefer Zelo.”

Sarah giggled, she really didn’t mean to, but she just thought of herself at that moment.

“What’s so funny?” –He stopped suddenly when he heard her laugh softly, feeling a bit conscious that maybe it was because of his name.

“Nothing… Is just that you’re just like me.” –She got up and added when the boy tilted his head. –“My birth name’s not Sarah… I don’t really like my birth name much either.”

She shrugged, and the boy curious now leaned down to her eye level holding his skateboard close to him.

“What’s your real name noona?”

Sarah chuckled at how cute he looked when he asked that. At a moment she was lost in her thoughts on how it would’ve been to see her little brother grow to be Zelo’s age.

“I’m not going to tell you…” –She playfully said and snatched Zelo’s skateboard.

Stunned, it took him a moment to realize what had happened. And in that time Sarah was already on the skateboard gaining distance.

“Hey give me that!” –He yelled and ran quickly towards her. –“Noona!”

He wasn’t angry that she took his skateboard; he somehow knew that the girl was just playing, and he was tagging along.

“You got to be faster if you want to catch me!”

The boy took that as a challenge and biting his bottom lip and concentrating he hurried his steps. Sarah wasn’t that good of a skateboarder so it didn’t take long for him to catch her.

“You won!” –She clapped and stepped off the skateboard.

She ruffled his hair, the feeling almost nostalgic.

“That was fun! Want to do it again?” –The boy asked with puppy eyes.

Sarah looked at the time and realized that although she was near her home, her mother was going to be waiting for her and she had other things to do.

“I have to go now. But we'll play around next time, I promise… Okay?”

He nodded but was still a little bumped out that she had to leave so quick.

“But I’ll let you race me to my house…”

She took a hold of his skateboard again and stepped on her way home, and Zelo wholeheartedly laughed as he chased her to her front door. She

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter