Chapter 48: You, Me & A Promise

A Beautiful Curse

You, Me & A Promise

 

“Jonginnie, where are you bringing me?” Lana asked. She was being led by Jongin with her eyes closed. She didn’t know where she was heading or what she was going to do. She only knew Jongin was bringing her somewhere, probably a nice place.

Jongin smiled cheekily. “Watch your step... Careful please... No, turn here...” He spoke while giving the directions and leading her to a place he already planned to surprise her.

It wasn’t a special day in particular. He just wanted to bring her somewhere nice. He blindfolded her and led the way. He wasn’t a romantic person to begin with. In fact, he was dull and boring and his only entertainment was probably watching anime and reading manga. But there was always a start to something. Lana has been treating him well lately and has been very loving towards him. It was the best he could ever ask for knowing that this whole mate process was one-sided at first. However, slowly their relationship has started to build up. She seemed to love his company. As for him, it was unneeded for him to clearly say his feelings for her. He was madly in love with her right from the start.

“Are we there yet?” Lana asked, sounding excited.

“A while more...” Jongin whispered. After taking a few more steps ahead, he stopped abruptly and let go off her hands carefully. He separated himself away from her and stood a few steps away.

Losing his contact, Lana became a little worried. “Jongin?”  She asked when she heard nothing and felt her arm being free.

“Lana, open the blindfold slowly.” Jongin requested. His heart was beating fast, nervous to see her reaction to his small surprise. It wasn’t anything spectacular like bringing her to a posh restaurant for dinner or riding the ferris wheel with a beautiful landscape view of the city. Not that he couldn’t afford all those, he just wanted something more natural and personal, something more like Jongin.

Lana untied the blindfold and took it off slowly as requested. Once her eyes were open, she was stunned to see herself at the centre of a beautiful meadow with tall white wildflowers surrounding her. It was such rare sight, leaving her speechless and awe over such a natural beauty she has never seen before. There was nothing else, just her, Jongin and the nature. “Oh my –“ She stuttered.

Jongin was happy to see that his surprise worked upon seeing her bright face. He walked towards her and reached out for her hand. “Do you like it?”

“I love this place. Where is this?” She accepted his hand and the both of them sat on the ground.

“I come here all the time. It’s a part of the forest, untouched by men. No one comes here. Not even the rest of the pack. It’s sort of like my own private place.” He said. “To be honest, I wasn’t sure what kind of places you like. I thought you might like it here since it’s a place I visit almost every day.”

Lana scanned the area and then rested her back on the ground, smiling while looking at Jongin beside her. “It won’t be private anymore since I’m going to come here starting from today.” She closed her eyes and inhaled the fresh air. “I love this place so much. It’s so –“ She paused briefly. “Calm and peaceful... It’s sublimely beautiful.”

“Glad you love it.” He replied as he watched her lying beside him on the ground. He her forehead and gazed her eyes endearingly. “Lana, can I ask you something?” After earning a nod, he continued. “Have you thought about the future?”

Lana turned her body sideway to face him and rested her head on his lap. “I don’t really have a future.”

“Why do you say so?” He played with her hair casually while she admired his handsome face. “Everyone has a future.”

“Yea they do but I don’t want to think about mine. Not like I have much of a choice.” She said depressingly.

He played with her nose and her cheeks tenderly. “You have a choice, Lana.”

“It’s difficult, Jonginnie.” She sighed and pouted. “Sometimes I wish to lead a normal life, away from this fantasy hoping it’s nothing but just a dream. But sometimes I think without this life, I wouldn’t be able to meet great people like EXO and –“ She stopped.

“Yongguk?” Jongin muttered.

Lana stared at his eyes and flashed an apologetic smile. “I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be sorry. I’ve already accepted that he’s somewhat special to you. Just that, don’t put EXO and him in the same sentence. Besides, he’s not technically a person or people...” He said jokingly.

Lana smiled. “Thank you for understanding.”

“I’m glad that I was able to meet you too and –“ He stopped, gazing into her eyes deeply. “I wish to be a part of your future.”

“You will be.” She assured.

The sky turned dark and before they knew it was already the evening. They had been out for hours with nothing but just them lazing around, talking and laughing. Jongin followed suit and rested his back on the ground. Staring the night sky full of stars, quietly they absorbed the moment.

“Let’s say I’m a genie and I can grant you three wishes. What do you want?” Jongin suddenly asked.

“Hmmm... I want everyone around me to be happy forever. Next is I don’t want to lose anyone that I love and cherish. Lastly and the most important I think is that whatever decision I’ll have to make in the future no one must be hurt.” She answered.

Jongin listened to every wishes she wanted and realised those weren’t meant for her. “Lana, there is nothing for yourself.” He spoke.

She fiddled around the zip of her jacket and kept quiet for a while. There was really nothing she wanted for herself. She turned and faced him and with a smile. “I wish you’re a real genie too.”

Jongin looked into her eyes to see the genuine sincerity over the words she just spoken. This was one of the many reasons why he has fallen deeply with the girl beside me. She asked for nothing for herself and only cared more about the people around her.

“Now, it’s your turn. You have three wishes, Jonginnie.” Lana said.

Jongin pursed his lips and faced the stars as he thought of the things he wanted. Unlike Lana, he couldn’t answer right away and took quite a while before answering. “First, I want to turn back time and save both my parents and Jung Ah.” His heart contracted at the mention of the dearest people whom he lost. “Second, I want EXO to stay together forever and lastly –“ He paused while turning his head to face her. “I want Lana to keep breathing at least while I still exist in this world.” He ended, cupping her cheeks as he smiled to her warmly.

Lana nodded, fully understood what he just said. She pressed her head against his chest and muttered softly. “You have my word on the last wish.”

Jongin smiled even brighter and then leaned closer to give a light kiss on her nose. “Thank you, sweetheart.”

“And Jongin, don’t blame yourself over what happened to your parents and Jung Ah.” She said. “You’ve done the best for them.”

“I know but –“ He stopped and then continued. “I was late in saving my parents from the vampires and my sister, I was just too selfish.”

“Hey look at me.” She lifted his chin so that he could face her. “Wherever they are right now, they wouldn’t like it if they see you like this, constantly blaming yourself and living in guilt. Trust me; you’re their best son and oppa.” She told him.

Jongin nodded weakly but managed to return her words with a smile. “Thank you.”

Both of them lied on their backs as they gazed the night sky filled with stars. They didn’t care about time or how long they’ve been out. The ambience was perfect. Even the silence between them was just nice. Lana listened to Jongin’s hard breathing as she closed her eyes to the tune of the sound. He looked at her and pulled her closer so she would lean by his side. She wrapped her right arm over his chest and snuggled comfortably while he placed his right arm behind her shoulders.

As she cuddled beside, Jongin slipped his hand into his jacket pocket silently and revealed a shiny item. Without saying anything, he picked up her right hand gently and then put on the silver ring in her finger. Thankfully, it was a perfect fit. Lana was surprised by his action and stared at the beautiful ring on her finger. It was shaped in what looked like a wolf.

“It’s beautiful...” Lana said as she lightly touched the ring. Amidst the darkness, the ring definitely shined the brightest.

“It’s a gift.” Jongin whispered.

“I’ll treasure this. Thank you.” Lana replied softly. She sat up briefly before bending her neck and kissing him right on his lips. However, she paused and grinned playfully at him. “Is this by any chance a proposal?”

Jongin laughed and immediately sat up alongside her. He dusted his arms and shook his head, thinking about what she just said. “Well, you can see it as a proposal. But then again, why would you need a proposal when you’re rightfully mine anyway?”

“Tsk, what makes you think I’ll marry you?” Lana slapped his cheeks mischievously.

Jongin faked a heart ache and pouted. “That hurts... I’m a very traditional guy you see. I know you’re a modern girl who doesn’t see a need to get married. Well of course, you can still live with me though. Not that I mind... I mean marriage is so passé right?”

“Aigoo... You always have to turn my words into your favour, don’t you?” She pinched his cheeks roughly.

“Ow!” He cried.

However, the next minute she cupped his face in her hands and spoke in a serious tone. “Jongin, I would love to marry you. I really do.”

“I’ll be waiting for that day.” He answered.

She pointed the ring he just gave her and said confidently. “This ring will be our witness.”

Jongin pulled her closer and wrapped his arms around her, embracing every part of her in him. He wished to stop time and replayed her words over and over again. His heart was leaping with pure joy that it was on the verge of bursting. Happy wasn’t enough to describe the emotion he was feeling. He was actually grateful for the love he has received from her all this while. Little or not, it didn’t matter. For even received a small part of her heart was more than enough for him. Now that she even mentioned about marrying him. It was beyond his dream. It was unimaginable.

Just then, Jongin remembered the encounter he had with Yongguk yesterday afternoon. A task he was given; a task that could actually end all her misery. He was more determined to ensure that it ended just the way it supposed to.

“Lana, listen to me.” He suddenly spoke and looked intently into her eyes. “Let’s end this soon alright?”

“Huh?” Lana tilted her head in confusion.

“We’ll live together without worries; just you and me. I can feel it coming really soon. Trust me, this will end. Just promise me a thing?” Jongin looked at her intently. “Whatever happens, you’ll come back to me...”

Lana stared into his eyes. Although she was unsure of the words he just spoken and was a little confused, she nodded and replied. “Yes, I’ll never leave you.”

 

To be continued


<333333333