Chapter 11: Sick

A Beautiful Curse

Sick

 

“How is she?” Mrs Yoon asked the maids who just exited Lana’s room after helping her out with the clothes.

“She’s resting in bed, Madam.”

Mrs Yoon nodded before proceeding inside Lana’s room. She noticed the girl was sitting cross-legged on her bed as she dried her wet hair with a towel. Mrs Yoon approached closer and took the towel from Lana. “I’ll help you, darling.” Gently, she rubbed Lana’s head using the towel with both her hands.

“Thank –“ Lana stopped and then let out a sneeze. “Achoo!” She rubbed her nose and continued. “Thank you, Mrs Yoon.”

“Aish, why did you play in the rain?” Mrs Yoon sighed.

“It was fun. It has been a while since I enjoyed myself.” Lana stated.

Mrs Yoon sat opposite her and cupped her cheeks. “I’m glad you did but you shouldn’t have played in the rain.”

“I’ll be fine.” Lana casually answered but her face was telling the otherwise. She was shivering from the cold.

“What do I have to say to Uncle Lee, now that you’ve caught a cold?” Mrs Yoon pinched her right cheek.

“Don’t worry. I’ll be okay by tomorrow.”  Lana pushed the bed cover and slid herself.

Mrs Yoon stood up and tucked Lana to bed comfortably. “Good night and rest well.” She kissed Lana’s forehead and then headed out of the room to resume dinner with EXO.

 

“It looks like it’s going to rain the whole night.” Yixing spoke.

EXO was out in the forest after dinner doing their usual duty with the rain pouring. Jongdae ran his fingers across his wet hair and stomped his feet. He hated the rain just like the rest of them. It was harder to pick up scent or sounds in the loud thunderous night.

Kris stepped forward and ordered. “I think that’s all for the night. Let’s head back.”

The time was only 1 in the morning but because it was raining so heavily they had to cut short their duty and head back home. Usually, they won’t be back any time before 5 but that night they had to stop because of the weather.

EXO sprinted back and gathered by the porch when suddenly Jongin sensed something. Because of his ability to hear Lana’s heart beat, he paused to catch that her heart was beating slowly as if she was sick or unwell. As they entered the house, they saw the maids going in and out of Lana’s room.

Luhan called one of them and asked. “What’s going on?”

“Miss Lana is not well. She has been vomiting non-stop.” The maid answered.

Instantly, the guys barged into her room and saw Lana sitting with her head hung low. She looked sickly and pale. Joonmyun went beside and cupped her cheeks only to be surprised by her burning skin. “Gosh, you’re so hot.”

Lana weakly looked up and stuttered. “I don’t feel good.” Jongin changed into dry clothes quickly before approaching Lana. He sat by her bed and held her cold hands in his. Lana slowly leaned her head on his shoulder and mumbled softly. “Jongin, I’m feeling sick now.”

Jongin her cheeks and whispered. “Shhh, you’re going to be okay.” He turned to Kris and said. “Hyung, we have to get her to the clinic.”

Luhan came closer and touched her forehead. “Yes, I think we need to get her to the clinic quickly. She’s having high fever.”

“Where is Mrs Yoon?” Minseok asked the maid.

“She’s working on night shift, sir.”

Kyungsoo grabbed the car keys and said. “It looks like we have to bring her to the clinic ourselves.”

Jongin gently cupped Lana’s cheeks and stared at her pale white face. “Lana, can you walk?”

Lana didn’t answer. She was too weak that her head fell forward with her eyes slowly shutting. Without wasting any time, Jongin lifted her up in his arms and headed out of the room.

Just when they were going down the staircase, Mira went out of her room frantically and cried. “Jongin Oppa, I can’t sleep...the thunder is scary –“ She stopped abruptly after noticing that Jongin was holding Lana. “Okay, what’s going on?”

“Mira, we’re going to the clinic. Lana’s not well.” Jongdae explained and gave her a pat on the back.

“But I want Jongin Oppa to accompany me to sleep!” Mira grumbled. “Luhan Oppa can bring Lana to the clinic. It’s just a normal fever, don’t make it seem like it’s so serious.”

Jongin turned around and looked at Mira. “Mira, I’ll come back later okay? Baek Hyung, will you please put Mira to sleep?”

“Grrr, I hate you. You’re no longer the oppa I used to know.” Mira stomped her feet angrily and went inside the room.

Jongin shook his head and sighed. It was hard dealing with Mira nicely. Yes, they used to be close but that was when Mira was still a polite young girl who Jongin viewed protectively like his own little sister. Now, Mira became selfish and rude especially to Lana. He didn’t know what went wrong. He just wished Mira could have been more understanding. He ignored the thoughts and focussed on the sick girl in his arms. Quickly, he headed for the car and placed Lana gently at the back seat while Luhan drove the car with Joonmyun beside. Another car with Yixing, Chanyeol and Minseok trailed behind them while the rest of them stayed in the house.

“Hyung, the clinic is close at this time.” Joonmyun pointed out as Luhan started the engine before speeding away.

“We go to Doctor Yunho’s house then. That’s the only option. We can’t bring Lana to the hospital for now. Besides, Doctor Yunho is the only person who understands our situation.” Luhan replied.

Meanwhile, at the backseat Lana tossed and shook her head. “I d-d-don’t want to g-g-go to the hospital.” She stammered softly.

Jongin her forehead carefully and said. “No, we’re not bringing you there.”

They reached Doctor Yunho’s mansion and the rain was still pouring heavily. Jongin covered Lana with a jacket, preventing her from getting wet from the rain as he carried her to the front door. Yixing knocked the door and pressed the bell many times.

“Yunho Hyung, are you there?” Chanyeol called.

After a minute, the door opened with a half-awake handsome tall man wearing a loose long sleeve shirt with pants, yawning sloppily. In a glance, he didn’t look like a doctor at all when in fact he was a qualified doctor. Yunho immediately became wide awake when he saw EXO standing right before him in the wee hour of the morning.

“EXO, what are you –“

Before he could end his sentence, Jongin barged into the house with Lana in his arms and went straight to the sofa where he laid her gently. “Hyung, can you please examine her?”

“Oh? Okay...” Yunho was still puzzled but understood the situation and instantly grabbed his doctor kit to examine Lana. He took out the stethoscope and checked her pulse.

“Her pulse is –“

“Weakening...I know.” Jongin cut impatiently.

Yunho took the thermometer to check on her temperature and lifted her eyelids to check her eyes before deducing. “Well, she’s having a high fever.” Subsequently, he took out what seemed like an injection when suddenly the guys raised their objection in unison.

“Are you going to take her blood? Don’t!” Joonmyun spoke.

“But I need her blood to test whether she has any other illnesses.” Yunho explained.

“It’s fine. We just need medicine for her fever.” Minseok said.

Yunho looked at EXO, puzzled by their objection. “Why?”

“Hyung, there is a reason why we brought her here and not the hospital.” Joonmyun clarified.

As if he finally got their message, Yunho nodded. “Ah I see... Is she the special one?”

“Hyung, is there medicine or not?” Jongin became impatient.

“Of course there is. Wait here, I’ll go get it.” Yunho stood up and went to his room before coming out with a box of medicine. “Alright, let her have this after meal and then this every night before she goes to bed. Yup, that’s about it.”

“Thanks!” Joonmyun smiled.

“But if her fever persists, bring her here again.” Yunho reminded. “And I can’t vouch whether if she’s just having a cold or because of any other sickness since you guys don’t allow me to –“

“She’ll be fine.” Luhan assured.

“I hope she is.” Yunho smiled. “By the way, what’s her name?”

“Lana...” Chanyeol replied.

“Nice name. Well, you guys can bring Lana back now. Just remember to give her the medicine punctually.” Yunho repeated.

 

After obtaining the medicine from Doctor Yunho, Lana was laid to rest and one by one EXO took turns in looking after her. Tao, Sehun and Jongin were especially guilty because it was their fault Lana got sick. If they had to stop her from playing in the rain, she wouldn’t be suffering now.

Sehun twisted the towel and let the water dripped out before placing it on Lana’s forehead. Thankfully, her fever has subsided. Sehun dragged a chair and sat as he watched Lana by the side of the bed. Slowly, he held her soft hands and it.

“Please get well soon.” Sehun whispered. Just as he was gently Lana’s right hand, she tossed slightly and slowly opened her eyes. Wincing and frowning, she wanted to push herself to sit but Sehun stopped and said. “Don’t get up.”

“Sehun, I’m thirsty.” Lana mumbled softly.

Sehun poured a glass of water and lightly held it for her. “Here you go...”

Lana sipped the drink and when she was done, she looked at him and flashed a weak smile. “Thank you.”

Sehun placed his hand on her forehead to check her temperature. “Are you feeling better?” He asked.

Right at the moment, Jongin entered the room with Luhan and Tao. Luhan instantly came closer and cupped her cheeks. “Are you alright?”

Lana smiled and nodded. “I’m feeling better.”

Tao looked at her worriedly and then apologised. “We’re sorry. We shouldn’t have brought you out when –“

“Aish, don’t apologise. I was the one who insisted on playing in the rain.” Lana said.

“But still, we worried when you got all sick. Uncle Lee has reminded us before that you rarely fall sick but when you do, it’s really bad.” Sehun stated.

Lana shook her head and dismissed the claim. “I’m alright now. It isn’t that bad –“

However, just when Lana was about to get up, Jongin pushed her to stay still. “Just rest a bit more. If you want anything, tell us. We’ll get it for you.”

Lana looked at him in the eyes and she could sense that he was feeling upset and probably blaming himself for getting her ill. Gently, Lana held his face with her soft palm and muttered sweetly. “It’s not your fault.” Jongin swallowed nervously as she gazed his eyes. “I know you can’t hear my thoughts so I’m telling you that I appreciate whatever you’ve done for me. So, don’t put the blame on yourself. I’m really fine.”

“Lana –“ Jongin trailed.

“Jongin, I know what you’re thinking.” Lana smiled as she stared right in his eyes lovingly.

Luhan watched enviously at the both of them. He didn’t know why but he feels restless out of a sudden. Undeniably, Luhan was attracted to Lana just like the rest of EXO. But he wasn’t just attracted to her because she smells good or because she was absolutely gorgeous. Luhan liked Lana a lot right from the start. However, he knew he wasn’t alone in this. Luhan looked at the guy before him and wished it was Luhan whom Lana was addressing to and not Jongin. Luhan wanted Lana to know what he was thinking as well.

Lana, please have your eyes on me, only me.

Jongin turned abruptly to see Luhan who was already clenching his fists tightly.

 

To be continued

 


UH UH WHAT'S THIS....

ALRIGHT LUHAN, I'LL LOOK AT YOU

BUT....JONGIN..... :((((

 

ANYWAY........

WE HAVE DOCTOR YUNHO IN THE HOUSE YO! HAHAHA